Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
I'm about 15 hours into Ragnarok, just finished the first Alfheim story quest and the flying jellyfish side quest, and I am little disappointed in how similar this game is to its predecessor. Graphics, gameplay, voice acting, etc. are all top-notch but not much about it feels new or innovative. Not sure what I expected, though. Still having a really good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

RareAcumen posted:

I would love anyone who's underwhelmed by a game to have an idea of what they wanted instead.

I saw trailers and noticed that it did not become a tower defense or RTS game the second a centaur started trying to break Kratos' head with one of it's hooves, it's not like this is Sonic or a Platinum Games developed thing or something.

I apologize that my very mild criticism of the game upset you. I didn't watch any trailers or have any tower defense expectations, just bought the game on the basis of more than one review declaring it a "masterpiece". However, so far, it just looks and plays like a bigger, more refined version of GoW 2018. That's cool, it's no big deal. I'm enjoying Ragnarok and it's early going. Still looking forward to the first monster-budget AAA ps5 game that really feels like a big step forward, though.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Like, should it have had more contextual actions? Should there be fallen trees and boulders you can throw at people? A return of the grab button so you throw enemies into big piles? Just giving Kratos an elbow drop finisher on knocked over enemies?

Just that the facts of the matter is that it doesn't earn the praise it's been given, so what would improve it?

Elbow drop or leg drop would be nice, yes. Honestly, the axe mechanics felt so fresh and were so fun to gently caress around with in the last one that this game just feels a bit safe in comparison, is all. But I'm not yet halfway through it and could be way wrong. Just initial impressions. Played through a really cool sequence today ( Atreus (love his combat style) falling asleep, walking up in a lush, amazing-looking Giant realm, and meeting Angrboda ) so it's already heating up.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

The funny thing about portable gaming is I have absolutely no use for it, but the part of me that was enamored with it as a child just never died I guess. When I saw a gameboy for the first time the idea of having a Nintendo in your hands was just the coolest thing and I will never stop chasing that dragon. The Steam Deck being portable gaming without the limitations that have previously existed felt too cool to pass up.

But, like I never play it when I couldn't be playing on a big TV lol. And I have a gaming laptop that is more powerful than the steam deck that is already portable enough. There's just something about sitting in bed for 30 minutes or lying on the couch and playing a portable that you can't beat.

But I try to do stuff portables were meant for, like bringing them on vacation and I usually don't use them for more than 15 minutes on the whole trip cause I'm busy and you look like a toddler busting out a gaming system while adults are socializing anyways.

Exactly this, yes. I've had a switch for 2.5 years and have played it handheld for no more than 30 minutes total in that time. At home, it's preferable to play on big rear end TV and if I'm out there's usually something better or more adult-looking I could be doing.

Rental Sting fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 29, 2022

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Just bought CoD:IW because of this thread lol. How did this game become a thing again in 2023?

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

I was whinging about Ragnarok being a retread a couple of months ago but I've recently gotten back into the game and have really grown to enjoy it. Definitely a lot more going on than its predecessor in terms of builds/abilities and stuff like that and some extremely rad set pieces. Lots of sidequest stuff, too.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Bummer that STALKER 2 won't be coming to PS5. It looks so good.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Never played the original. Pumped for this remake.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Received my copy of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare LEGACY EDITION in the mail. Praise be.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Bugblatter posted:

Mahershala Ali is going to be the new Blade. That's fantastic casting, but I can't see the MCU doing anything as cool or brutal as the Snipes movie.

There's very little chance it's not terrible. Stale rear end quips, weak stabs at pathos, hordes of CGI vampires, etc.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

The dlc is very good and felt like the perfect amount of content + story + character development. It’s a really beautifully done package.

Loved Tsushima and was hyped to play the iki island DLC. Unfortunately it costs 30 bux to upgrade to the ps5 director's cut from the ps4 base game. Seems unreasonable!

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

ArmTheHomeless posted:

If you still want to try it, the dlc is included in the ps plus release that's free right now.

drat, didn't realize it was so cheap to upgrade from essential to premium.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

I tried Destiny 2 on ps4 with a couple friends two years ago. The game took up an incredible amount of space on the hard drive and it took a long time to figure out wtf we were supposed to do. Most of the missions or quests seemed to amount to going and shooting the poo poo out of an energy orb, or something. I felt embarrassed for recommending it.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Rageaholic posted:

They're both great but keep in mind that Dad of War 2 is going to last you longer than Dead Space Remake. According to HowLongToBeat, DSR will last you 12 hours while Dad of War 2 will last you 25.

Yikes Ive already put twice that into Dads of War.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

QoP and I both watched Tampopo today therefore I think that counts as relevant enough to tell you all to watch Tampopo, the best food movie ever made

One of the best films made. Have you ever seen any of Juzo Itami's other movies? Somehow haven't gotten around to it.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Sad to see this thread's hopes crushed for Wanted: Dead in real-time.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Even worse than that, I just bought a copy of AC: Odyssey on eBay when I could have upgraded to Extra through May--which includes that game and many others I want to play--for roughly the same amount!!

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Is the dualsense touchpad button supposed to have sort of a crunchiness when you press down on it or is mine hosed up? Playing Resident Evil Village right now and whenever I press the button to bring up the map there are always a few clicks as it compresses. I can't remember if it was ever different.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Definitely doesn’t sound right to me, but I’m all for more button feedback

Dorito haptics.

Resident Evil Village is rad. A fun cross between 4 and 7.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Horizon 1 has a competent, but pretty basic YA hero's journey thing going on but the backstory just gets more and more interesting until it totally hooks you. Horizon 2 is much sloppier, but I rarely didn't find it entertaining. It has a lot of good hooks but didn't totally deliver and I hated the ending, but it was still mostly good enough to keep wanting to play the game. Was just bummed cause I thought they totally shat the bed with the antagonists and the cliffhanger stuff.

This is all correct. The final boss and cliffhanger of HFW were so goofy, but I'll still play all these goddamned games. Killing/taming giant dino robots will never not be fun.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The game that kept getting better the more I played it.

Had the same experience. Was rather nonplussed for the first few hours but the late game Jotenheim, Muspelheim, and Vanaheim sections along with the Asgard boss battles were full-blown psychedelic madness. Honestly felt like a Jack Kirby comic come to life.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Elden Ring posting makes me sad because I was rolling through it and loving the game but quit around Stormveil Castle when Ragnarok came out (a dumber, simpler game) and I haven't returned because the prospect is daunting. Should I restart or try and continue from where I was?

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

Stormveil is literally the beginning so restarting is fine but also not much reason to. Elden Ring is a huge game but it can also be finished in only around 30 hours if you stick to the critical path.

Fair enough. Somehow I logged 30 hours already though doing everything in all of the regions of Limgrave.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Finished the Coruscant mission in Jedi Survivor. Screen tearing in performance mode has been pretty outrageous, which is a drag because all of the stuff whizzing around everywhere is really cool looking. This stuff never used to bother me that much but I've been spoiled by the last few AAA games I've played on ps5 running really well. I can tell this game is going to be a lot of fun, though.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Yes, yes, it's hilariously unoptimised to an embarrassing degree. It's also just drat Good Star Wars, so much better than its predecessor, I had such a good time with this. At times it comes close to giving the sense of absurd power and movement that the old Clone Wars short with Mace Windu vs a thousand Battle Droids (who low key steal the show in this), it's delightful. The assorted weirdos you gather in the bar are ridiculously charming, there's some truly stunning set pieces, it has cosmetic options up the wazzoo this time (redneck mullet & tache Cal is Best Cal), yet is never prone to frustrating difficulty spikes like Fallen Order had.

Basically, Cal & BD & Merrin & Greez 4ever.

This is kind of a hard feeling to express, but Cal dashing through the Coruscant underworld with his lightsaber unleashed and ships whizzing by really evokes vibes of Star Wars EU and other sci-fi paperback book covers that I'd see on the racks as a kid more than any movie ever has. As for frustrating difficulty spikes, though, having a real hard time with this goddamn rancor on the first planet . Perhaps its best to grind for a bit or do other things and come back later.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

When I read that the dev team was heavily influenced by RDR2 I knew I would love it :gizz:

It would be rad if you could give Link mutton chops or a custom belt buckle and get sponge baths at the local inn after a bruising campaign through the Depths.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

our people have returned to asghasba, our home land

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Are you all fond of MGS4? I was a big fan of the series up to that point but I remember 4 being kinda tedious, with too many extended talky cutscenes, and the control scheme felt awkward. Don't think I finished it.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

I feel deep shame when I'm lurking ITT and Bloodborne comes up because I've bailed on three separate From games that I paid for. I beat Celeste in a day, though, if that counts for something.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

JBP posted:

Fair enough, the combat in From games is pretty bad compared to non stat based action games.

Definitely not saying that and I will def beat Bloodborne and Elden Ring before I die. Maybe not Sekiro though because I kinda sucked at it and couldn't beat that bull.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

I lurk this thread and like 2 or 3 others. I like it, it's good. I have a PS5.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Leftists never use woke anymore since the right use it to mean the n word.

Plenty of leftists use the term "woke" jokingly or semi-pejoratively, just not the radlib type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

Lobok posted:

And aside from the subject matter, Chabon is just a great writer overall. Thoroughly enjoyed everything I read of his, from superhero stuff to adventure to real life drama/relationship. I even read a literary review of his the other day that was just so erudite and effusive in its praise that I desperately need to read that other writer's work now because of it.

Wholly agree, which is why I was excited when I heard he was heavily involved with the first season of Picard, despite not being a big Star Trek fan. Didn't turn out all that great, though.