Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Kirios posted:

Bumping this thread for Mets posters so they know where to post going forward.

Ouuuuchhhh...

My poor mother in law. ;_;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

STAC Goat posted:

Its possible to be anti nazi and still an rear end in a top hat. That's a big online problem these days where so many people seem to see everything as black and white so like if you support X or oppose Y then you must be a good guy regardless of all the other bad poo poo.

True, but I think Intruder is just saying it's a checkmark in his column.

There's plenty of checkmarks in the other column for many people, clearly.

As an Astros fan, I'm ofc biased, but I can still see his obnoxiousness.

But he's from Albuquerque (my sister's adopted hometown I've grown to love as well while visiting her), he is definitely not a chud like so many other baseball players (oh, Lance Berkman... why you gotta be the way you be), and... most importantly to me...

He really hated Trevor Bauer before it was cool.

LongTimeFirstTime fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 14, 2022

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Sydin posted:

Sorry for the double post but :lol::lol::lol: The Cubs have fired yet another hitting coach:

Fired hitting coaches and the Cubs.

Dead drummers and Spinal Tap.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Kirios posted:

Just spent 250 on Astros gear, no regrets.

Fellow Astros fans, what memorabilia did you get?

Nice!

Nothing yet, but I will probably get some shirts and a hat tomorrow. In 2017 I went to Academy in person. What are you guys using as an online option?

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Sab0921 posted:

fanatics

Was browsing there, thanks.

fast cars loose anus posted:

I was on the mlb shop, your mileage may vary esp if you're deal hunting

Yeah. Thanks, guys.

I wish they had a blue shirt with a little orange on it (kinda like the blue jerseys with rainbow stripes under the arms that they just won it all in last night).

Edit: that's a pretty good blue shirt, nice!

LongTimeFirstTime fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 7, 2022

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

https://twitter.com/ThelmaD852/status/1590297343358021633

2nd lowest TV ratings for a World Series ever, behind only the pandemic season in 2020.

Interesting, since apparently the combined no-hitter in game 4 did very well. I guess the other games not so much.

Anyway, I finally shelled out for some Astros gear from mlbshop.

Ended up getting a couple t-shirts (a blue one and a black one) and a couple hats (a solid back black one for myself and a nice blue one with a hole for my mom's ponytail for her. The only thing she wanted back in 2017 was a similar hat, so hopefully she likes one of her presents this time around ;D).

Around $140... hoooo... I'm hoping maybe I can snag a few more things closer to Black Friday in person at an Academy or something? hell, I dunno if Academy does black friday sales or not. If they do, probably not on recent championship merch. Meh.

Oh, also... it said free 3-7 biz days shipping, but my ETA is December 5th, so... ooof. No rush, though. I've still got my 2017 hat and 4 2017 shirts (I went a bit crazier that time...).

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021
I'd love for JV to sign with Houston one last time, but...

I think he'll go home to Detroit to retire with the Tigers, as long as they offer enough.

If they don't... ehhhhhhh.... could be bad.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Intruder posted:

Maybe they'll steal Brantley from the Astros, everyone talks about what a great WS speech he gave after game 3 and the Cubs need a speech giver

Yeah. If he doesn't accept a deal from the Astros, I kinda hope he heads to Toronto. Gotta reunite with Springer!

bawfuls posted:

The only thing, and I really do mean the ONLY thing, I care about this winter wrt the Dodgers is that they retain Kershaw. Ensuring that he never plays for another team is my highest fan priority at this point. Second is Kershaw reaching 3000 strikeouts, and third is a championship.

You're reminding me of the final few years of Biggio and Bagwell and being excited for Biggio's 3000 hit...

Aka one of the few fun things after the 2004-2005 semi-glory days were in the rear view mirror for Houston baseball fans.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

zoux posted:

The Finns play something they call baseball, but it is something else. Something sinister...

I believe sometimes creeks and streams are in play and an outfielder has to scramble into the water to get the ball...

So it's got that going for it.

Edit: ofc, they're not going to be playing there in the next few months, tho.

Me, I'm gonna watch that Willie Mays documentary on... either HBO max or Apple+, one or the other.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

Me, I'm gonna watch that Willie Mays documentary on... either HBO max or Apple+, one or the other.

Watched it this afternoon. Really good!

It was on HBO max.. A couple Dusty Baker moments, btw.

Sab0921 posted:

Altuve started the playoffs 0-25, a fan ran on the field to give him a hug and tell him that he loved him and wanted a picture and Altuve batted over .300 after that.

That guy finally got his picture taken with Altuve yesterday at the Pasadena Academy store, turns out!

Intruder posted:

Supposedly one of the things Click did that Crane didn't like was hire more scouts, thus raising the payroll of the FO, which is just a hilariously pathetic showing for Crane

I hadn't heard that part. I heard that Click was about to trade Jose Urquidy for Wilson Contreras and both Dusty and Crane said hell no.

I think Click did a great job bolstering the bullpen especially, but I'm pretty glad we didn't trade Urquidy, he's been one of my fave SPs on the Astros in the past couple years. I remember watching his very first regular season start in Colorado against the Rockies, which he did really well in.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Poque posted:

Where the moves at

https://twitter.com/RedSox/status/1590457940976115712

Bit of Red Sox / Mariners action.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

zoux posted:

New approved list of bands for walk up music:
https://twitter.com/harvilla/status/1589680443254706176

Killing Joke, Sisters of Mercy, and Lacuna Coil, nice!

LongTimeFirstTime fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 12, 2022

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021
yep, I mentioned it a few pages back when people were looking for MOAR BASEBALL post-postseason.

And then I took my own advice and watched it earlier today. Was really good!

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1591812834509615105

That's insanely good news and I want this guy to be the next manager of the Astros but he's gonna get poached if he doesn't get the big job soon

Maybe there's a secret "as soon as Dusty retires you get automagically promoted to manager" clause?

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021
"Providence honors World Series MVP, Classical alum Jeremy Peña"
https://turnto10.com/news/local/wor...ookie-shortshop

Quite the return to his high school for Peña, what a conclusion to his rookie season.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

zoux posted:

gently caress I really wanted Abreu to sign with the Astros

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1597305310644908032

Ah thank god it's real

MrMidnight posted:

Awesome news. Huge upgrade over Yuli.

Wow. Wasn't expecting us to actually get him...

Both Sledmud and La Piña are free agents, IIRC... if we don't bring Diaz back to be the utility fill-in guy, couldn't Yuli do that? He's played a lot of 1B and 3B, could probably fill in at 2B as well, anything but SS.

IOW, I love this Jose Abreu signing, but hope we can retain Yuli as our utility infielder.

As Sab said, I hope we can bring back Brantley as well, the outfield felt a bit emptier without him, although it was great to see Chas McCormick have some moments in the postseason. His (barely) HR against Cole in the ALCS and then ofc his hits and great catch in the WS against his hometown Phillies especially.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

When did the Coldplay guy pick up baseball?

Julio Cruz posted:

surprised he went to the Red Sox, I always thought his favourite colour was Yellow

So we've got Chris Martin, Carlos Santana, and Will Smith (x2) in the MLB.

Am I missing anyone?

zoux posted:

Jason Castro retired today. He is, amazingly, the Astros franchise leader in HRs as a catcher.

I'm guessing Brad Ausmus is number two?

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Blind Pineapple posted:

Maldy has him beat 43-41 with 3000+ fewer PAs lol.

How quickly we Astros fans forget what an offensive black hole at catcher truly is.

Wow.

Yeah. I mostly remember just 1 Brad Ausmus homer in particular. The one he hit in that legendary 18 inning NLDS game against the Braves.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

SourKraut posted:

I'm a few pages behind and getting caught up, but I mostly just lurk this thread these days because I have three really young kids now that I'm trying to teach to not be Cubs fans, but pretty much everyone here and in SAS is cool and awesome and it's probably the best part of SA IMO, so no-one should leave due to the occasional Bad Post (and I say this as a long-time Bad Poster).

Yeah!

Out of curiosity, is there another team you're trying to get them to be fans of instead or no?

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Big Mean Jerk posted:

BRING BACK UNCLE MIKE

Yes, please.

Intruder posted:

I need my Astros re-sign Brantley news dangit :smith:

Because of the uncertainty over his shoulder surgery, lots of talking heads suggesting no one will be signing him until late in the off-season. Hmph.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Praise Jebus.

And we didn't have to wait till 2023 after all, whew...

Intruder posted:

Yessssssss

MrMidnight posted:

gently caress YES. Off-season goals complete! Our lineup is straight sick

lobster shirt posted:

gently caress yeah

So good. Such a relief.

Kirios posted:

gently caress yeah I was getting nervous they weren't going to do this.

I'm happy with this offseason - I don't think they need to do anything else. Maybe extend a player or two.

Brantley is 100000% the #2 hitter. Pena is a strong, strong choice at 7.

Altuve - Brantley - Abreu - Alvarez - Bregman - Tucker - Pena lets you go RLRLRLR which is pretty awesome.

Peña hitting 2nd was pretty magical with Uncle Mike out... but now that he's back, something like that seems good. Maybe swap Bregman and Abreu?

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

zoux posted:

Hmmmm, according to this, the contract stipulates we have to start calling him "Uncle Smooth"

So stipulated!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Santa is real and he’s an Uncle Mike fan

And an Astros fan. What an excellent Xmas present this is for us.

Sab0921 posted:

Post ur favorite Uncle Mike memory here is mine.

Quality.

Intruder posted:

Looking forward to seeing what Brantley can do without the shift

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He’s gonna be hitting like .350 all year

Yeah, Yordan won't benefit quite so much since he's just liable to hit it to the wall or over it. But Brantley's gonna reap the benefits and it's gonna be sweet!

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

MrMidnight posted:

I think I'm a Mets fan now lol. God Correa is the world's best baseball heel

My Mets fan mother in law is losing her mind.

2023 gonna be fun. Come on, Mets Astros WS!

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

STAC Goat posted:

There’s nothing really to deny right? Boras isnt denying a medical concern and he’s basically saying “we pulled out of the deal”.

I don’t know why Boras would want to pull out but he did, didn’t he?

And specifically Boras seems to be saying he’s the one who pulled out of the deal at his set deadline

I can't be sure, ofc, but having just caught up on the thread, most of the people replying to you in this matter seem to be on the side of "it was the Giants that pulled out of the deal, not Boras and Correa", in direct opposition to your above assumptions.

Those are assumptions on their side, too, ofc... and as you say elsewhere, we're mostly getting the agent/player side of the story, but since the Giants are constrained by not wanting/being able to talk about Correa's personal medical details... well, there's gonna be some lingering mystery, for sure.

The fact that Correa ended up settling for 35 mil less and having to move over from SS to 3B makes me feel like he and Boras were settling for the 2nd best offer... which implies they didn't have access to the very best offer any more. Due to the Giants" decision, not theirs. <pure conjecture>

Edit: oh, and if the assumption is that the Giants lowered their offer due to whatever medical misgivings they now have, it seems like it lowered the quality of the new potential deal with them to below the Mets" offer, hence that now being Correa's preferred path for whatever reasons he has.

LongTimeFirstTime fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 22, 2022

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

IcePhoenix posted:

Someone on reddit did the legwork for us and the short version is that all of the umps that retired sucked rear end

Yes, on the whole.

But have you considered Greg Gibson, the home plate umpire, is forever motioning to both players... and the Dodgers are still celebrating in their dugout?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHJKTGwMmbw

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

Kirios posted:

wtf is a Bligh Madris

He is apparently, per Wikipedia, "the first Palauan to play in the major leagues".

Born in Las Vegas in 96. Bats left, throws right... outfielder / 1B.

Played for the Pirates a bit last season... Rays and Tigers both picked him up and considered him for a few weeks each and then ditched him.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

zoux posted:

Ah our new prospect *squints*Jank Pitchero hmmm

Christopfer? What is going on

Now now, I'll have you know these are perfectly cromulent names here.

Don't forget our new trade acquisition Bligh Madris while you're at it.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

LobsterMobster posted:

Cutch is gonna tear it up in the summer. Why? FURRIES

lol. I got recommended that video earlier today by my not-logged-in-to-any-account-but-watch-a-lot-of-baseball-vids PS4 youtube algorithm. Excellent vid, Foolish Bailey FTW. Can't wait to see how much he mashes during those 2 series this summer while Anthrocon is going on across the river from the ballpark!

Intruder posted:

The Astros are being similarly stingy with a guy who started a world series nono

This is especially disappointing after how quickly they settled with other players

Yeah... well, at least they did settle with the others so quickly.

So 3.5 vs. 3.0... if this had been any of the other players, both sides woulda just... come together at 3.25, presumably?

Now the arbitrator has to pick between the high # and the low #, IIRC?

What they should be doing is locking that man up to a multi-year deal posthaste. Framber as well. Guess we'll have to wait till the next offseason to see if either (hopefully both) happens...

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

more falafel please posted:

it's all about the positions he doesn't play

Add another appreciation quote to the pile.

So good.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

more falafel please posted:

aww poo poo friends this is my first thread title

not gonna lie I was pretty pleased with myself

Woo hoo! Grats on the thread title. It's a good'un!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021
Regarding the arbitration nickel and diming, I saw a video the other day that tries to explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alWyEsqWxrA

tl;dr: if the arbitrator goes with the player's $500k higher amount, in the 2nd arb year, it'll be up to $1 mil more, 3rd arb year it'll be up to $2 mil more, etc. If that happens for many players on a team's payroll, losing many arb cases can inflate the budget by 10 or 20 mil from what looked like pretty small potatoes at the start.

But as the video goes into more depth on, a lot of teams just have this "magic secret number" that they'll agree to as a compromise with a player before the arb stuff starts, and if the player won't settle for that max number the team has in mind, then they're going to the arb hearings because in the aggregate, it's going to save the team more money.

Like Hand Row said, they just want to suppress the market / their overall budgets. It's not usually personal to a specific player but it does suck that they basically have to bash their own players to save some cash. More teams should do the Atlanta Braves things and just buy out those years in advance and skip all that drama. Ofc, not every player is gonna agree to those team friendly multi-year deals when they're young but ambitious.