Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

surprised canada wasn't one of the og opposers, given their sizable population of people whose ukrainian grandpas were political during wwii and all the nazi monuments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Dreylad posted:

if the holodomor acknowledgements really get going a whole bunch of historians are going to lose their jobs when people start digging into the actual academic historiography

now to take a big sip of water and look at how adrian zenz's career is going

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Symour hersh is right and america is the big satan of all terrorism.

Like Blowing up Nordstream is legit grounds for war if it was any other country.

the united states has over a hundred thousand military personnel stationed on dozens of bases with all sorts of fun hardware in western europe

they're not there to protect our "allies"

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

it is really something when the response to critical reporting from a guy who's made some real bombshell revelations in the past which turned out to be 100% true is to try to discredit the guy instead of investigating the story's often very specific claims

it's incredible that this doesn't offer some level of dissonance to these people who claim to be members of a critical press. ok, these allegations are very serious ones and don't need to be immediately accepted. go out and investigate them then! that is your job and the thing which justifies you having an important function!

[looks at the multiple glenn greenwald threads where drug addled retards just scream 'gas' repeatedly for months]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

to the west, "genocide" is mandatory grade school education

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

is there actually an alternative pronunciation for kyiv/kiev?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

eight tanks, lmao

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

heritage, not hate

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

stephenthinkpad posted:

During the Iraqi war it was GOP that pushed for war, their master plan was to control the production of oil at source and forever control the oil commodity price, also put a knife in the geopolitical underbelly of both Russia and China. Not every US domestic interest was connected to the oil interest. Plenty of people were free to protest and there was slogans "no war for oil".

Now the war is being directed by DEM, so the white house has much more influence over the western press, especially the european press. Nobody outside of a few youtubers has spoken against the war. Only non youtuber is amazingly, Trump.

I listen to lot of think tank talks while working. I think full time think tank nowadays don't even want to bring up the topic of NATO eastward expansion and that it was a unwise decision. If you hear a guy talk about it, that guy must be an academic who got invited on the zoom meeting to provide "alternate opinion" and never heard from again. And don't invite Mearsheimer, he is in the dog house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SemNT372CIw&t=226s

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

if you think the dems weren't supporting the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq you're either too loving young and only learned about it thru the pervasive propaganda that permeated the country for the past twenty years or so loving retarded you should have a legal guardian

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i remember all the kids on my school bus (parroting their parents) being super excited about glassing the middle east

they have not improved much since then

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

god bless noah. sometimes i think i'm retarded but them he comes to the rescue

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

tfa posted:

The Russian manoeuvre and defence approach is proving challenging for Ukraine and costly to attacking forces, hence the advance at the moment is slow,” an official said. They added that “grinding, costly warfare” was likely for many months to come.

don't worry, i'm sure we can rustle up some more ukranians to throw into the grinder

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I mean just look at that US training vid posted the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ-sCT_maAQ

It assumes a brigade facing two platoons, with full intel ("down to the number, type and depth of mines"), massive artillery dominance, complete fixed wing dominance, and complete helicopter dominance. The enemy in this scenario has only a little bit of artillery and AA, that is immediately suppressed or blown up. Also, not a single one of the defender's shots hit lmao

I would be shocked if those assumptions are genuinely questioned in training. They're automatic. So why wouldn't you be used to it? Why wouldn't you teach other people this way?

This is actually a genius psychological warfare tactic by Ukraine, as described in Defeating The Russian Battalion Tactical Group. A few more attacks like this and all the Russians will be too PTSD ridden to continue fighting!

i'm the tank slowly plowing thru a minefield in a straight line on level terrain that isn't immediately blown the gently caress up

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Wait if they stopped making them ages ago what is the American military using right now?

has the u.s. military ever actually had a soldier fire a manpad at an enemy aircraft in the forty years or whatever since their development?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

obviously we've passed them out like candy to proxy forces but i'm struggling to think of any examples of direct use

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

Also, isnt the US supposed to have all of those very advanced precision guided munitions that allows them to pinpoint military targets and avoid civilian collateral damage, while the Russian orcs are still using primitive 1914 dumb shells?

the dumb orcs keep missing all the shots they aim at civilian targets while the noble heroes of westeros precisely guide a sword missile into a minivan full of children

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DancingShade posted:

Look all the EU needs to produce for the rest of the world's needs is fancy overpriced crockery, wine, fashion items and uh...

Nothing technical comes to mind.

what will the rest of the world do without europe's trailblazing legal innovation in suing the gently caress out of anyone who dares to use the name of some village in bumfuck, france for their cheese?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, so it's not "actually" $110B or whatever, since a significant portion are just the paper value of war materials (though as you mention there's also other costs not included in that figure).

Money figures for this stuff can get kind of confusing when the value of assets become involved, especially given how inflated the value of military hardware can be.

the pentagon did a "oh, all that junk we sent over earlier was waaaaaaaaay overvalued so actually we can send even more under the existing authorizations" earlier this year

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

The Voice of Labor posted:

ore
don't we have a bunch of decommissioned a-10s sitting around that we could send to ukraine? that seems like a perfect plane for loving up entrenchments. oh wait, we don't intentionally contaminate white people countries with uranium dust and spall

there's a reason neither side is using manned aircraft for anything much more than lobbing cruise missiles and rockets from afar. cas would be suicide.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Ardennes posted:

The Russians have been using Su-25s pretty close to the front lines, the issue is that Ukrainians have a tough time getting within 100km of Russian lines. It is why the Stormshadows/SCALPs are that important.

Admittedly, as much as people like the A-10, it would be chewed up in a conventional war.

"close" maybe but i haven't heard of them doin' gun runs which is what most people think of when it comes to the a-10. ballistic rocket barrages and glide bombs seem to be favored

tho iirc the ukranians actually lost some frogfoots getting too close to the russians' defensive lines lately

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

fizzy posted:

Germany's core inflation rate, which excludes volatile items such as food and energy, ...

every god drat time

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

hmmm, i dunno. could they rephrase it in fourteen words or so?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Nix Panicus posted:

How much does staying alive cost per month in Russia?

life is cheap in the orient

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

wasn't there something about how the u.s. only has one spare engine per abrams?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Starsfan posted:

and a dozen of those unarmored jeeps to drive around in.

ah, the mine clearing vehicles

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

did any of those plans to increase 155mm shell production actually go thru or did all our captains of industry balk at spending hundreds of millions of dollars to expand production capacity with no guarantee of ongoing orders?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

history is written by the victors, and boy howdy there's a lot of nazi-apologia and double-genocide history that's been written

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ukraine decided they weren't gonna be outdone by israel on the friendly fire front

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

No loving poo poo. Hello liberals, welcome back to reality.

Coming back to the poo poo we call 2024 is gonna be hard on people that had been living in a marvel world for 2022-2023. Gonna be waking up, turning over in bed and immediately spotting the receipt for a cash donation to literal nazis.

lol if you think that's gonna matter

now anyone who provided material support to palestine hamas, on the on the other hand...

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

wait, what happened to the big batch of shells from [REDACTED] that the EU scrounged around in the couch cushions for? did they already blow thru it all or did it never materialize?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

putin is my pal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

and the rest of it is pretty loony tunes as well

(muttering) jesus christ