Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

genericnick posted:

There are different audiences to cater to and blood and soil rhetoric is what the ultar nats and the Daily Mail want to hear. IS produced flashy snuff movies for the diabetic Saudi millionaires that funded them and to show their possible recruits that they were the biggest psychos in the gang war. All while the US was desperate to find any barely presentable rebels to dump infinite weapons on.

I remember how the moderate rebels would cross into Syria then immediately be "compelled" to hand their weapons to HTS or whatever

Also that Guardian article talking about how nice HTS occupied areas were although women couldn't be on the radio

Thankfully we'd never try to whitewash any form of Western aligned extremist ever again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

The plan is to create at the least a group of stateless citizens. Almost a Big Palestine, if you will. Except Palestine doesn't have a nuclear armed friend sitting on the border and a whole lot of reasons to make sure that won't happen

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

i say swears online posted:

it goes back to the cold war and the US is desperately trying to wash their hands of this whole thing

yeah this is one conflict where no one really wanted to get involved. Ethiopia has also been a pretty good ally to the US in the "War on Terror"

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Is Philippine/non US Opus Dei anything like US Opus Dei, which seems to be "gently caress you we wanna stay in 1950"

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Rhodesia is a great country, like the old South Africa, because there's literally no reason to be a fan of those countries except

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

say what you will about Robert mugabe but ending rodesia is an all timer G move

ending Rhodesia by blowing up their whole strategic fuel reserve

Major W

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Is hilarious the PR move to present Canada as a better, nicer, more functional version of the US

FF hasn't even brought up all those nice mansions Haitian senior officials can somehow afford in Montréal!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

It's the list of countries in The International Community

International Community is to expat as ??? is to immigrant

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

lol of all the Nazi units it’s the Dirlewanger Brigade

I've always wondered how Polish Canadians feel about the fact our government supports people who just can't stop wearing Political patches of the worst units of the SS that did awful poo poo in Warsaw in 1944

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

crepeface posted:

that's a set up if anyone's game enough to take the dunk

Musk will return more intellectuals to the countryside than any leader since Comrade Pot

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Also I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it to NHD but Ukraine in the Crossfire is a good source book to understand why the purging of "pro-Russians" might happen.

To a normal person it makes more sense if you explain how the security services have been taken over by fascists and the beliefs that they hold. And what positions really matter in government - cute Z is president, IMF people run finance and Nazis control many of the guns.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Organ Fiend posted:

Eagerly awaiting the maple leaf to join the swastika, wolfsangle, and sonnonrad on the list of hate symbols.

It's already been established on our 5$ bill that the Maple Leaf is a vile symbol of hate

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

hot date tonight! posted:

The best phone is you want to get away from spyware poo poo is still actually a Google pixel, because they are (the only?) manufacturer that supports loading another OS on your phone without voiding the warranty and loving your bootloader security. Put GrapheneOS, CalyxOS or Lineage on it.

He's right. I don't anymore because lol but

Tap on your build number a few tomes
Enable Usb debugging
Adb fastboot reboot
Put in your chosen OS

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Isentropy posted:

He's right. I don't anymore because lol but

Tap on your build number a few tomes
Enable Usb debugging
Adb fastboot reboot
Put in your chosen OS

I think Huawei and Moto do as well.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Mouse Buddy Comrades!

I'm sure you have seen this but Never Forget

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_the_laboratory_mouse

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

FF is the best use of my Canadian taxpayer money ever spent, sure beats paying for Groimes or Hedley

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Zodium posted:

good post.

the problem is not that your managers can't imagine a goal; the implicit goal is to produce capital, money that makes money, i.e., systems of labor control. it's that they can't imagine there could be any other goal. even the ultra wealthy work towards this goal. Capital produces subjects who value its reproduction more than anything, more than even their own.

:nsa:

Honestly it's interesting to note that sometimes it doesn't break down that way. FF is aware Nova Scotia and the Maritimes implemented heavy lockdown and a protective isolated barrier because they realized the Metropole didn't give a gently caress whether they lived or died

If the petty nobility so to speak see their own mortality** they'll pull a Marquis de Lafayette and fight on our side

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Lol if the brits helped the Ukrainians blow up that bridge.

If????? Only one country is so full of itself, dumb, and capable of naval operations

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

unless you want a forever war, it's generally a poor idea to kill the people who can negotiate a peace

Is he empowered to negotiate a peace or would the SBU disposition him the moment he even thought of jt

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

lol letting this woman advance as far as she has, where she is now nakedly using the Government of Canada to pursue her own agenda, is so loving dangerous but she's a #GirlBoss so there will be no pushback or opposition from within her own cultural sphere.

Honesty: let's loving let her run for PM in an election so she can do Ignatieff Part 2

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Jamaicans attend the military college and officer training here but many people don't like JDF officers lol so maybe that's an exception.

Any idea why this is, or is this the obvious reason?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Ignore the NDT poo poo

Way ahead of you

Also if Orange Devil didn't already post the link:

https://twitter.com/AP_Europe/status/1607014001333919746?t=-7Yo1caJw7CyoAiXeAABOg&s=19

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

If you want to see "can't build stuff" you'll have to look at the imperial periphery.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Therefore, both rising nations in nineteenth-century Central Europe and the Habsburg Monarchy are imagined communities of different sorts, and the former are not more artificial than the latter. The problem arises from the diverging styles of imagining, i.e., from the conflict between the national and the supranational paradigms.

Even though Franz Joseph I and Maximilian apparently didn't like each other at all, there's something odd about both of them not being able to deal with the developing concepts of national identity.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Fivemarks posted:

Is this the thread where people are all pro-russia?

No, this is the pro-Habsburg thread, where we want to restore the Dual Monarchy and Second Mexican Empire

(Serious: my own opinion is that there's no good guys and it's bad with everything going on in domestic countries that money is being spent on proxy war, and that the war is being used as an excuse to make people's lives worse. See that story about cancelling a national holiday in Denmark to pay for weapons)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Portugal had a 38% literacy rate and collapsed because they wanted to keep doing colonialism

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm acquaintances with two people who are literally/specifically named "Erwin Rommel [lastname]"

it wasn't just his exploits in North Africa as exaggerated by the British, but also the fact that he was implicated in the July plot and offed himself, thereby giving people the handy-dandy excuse that he was a reluctant Nazi, or not even all much of a fascist at all, really

I mean it's not as bad as naming your kid Douglas but why would anyone in PH specifically like that guy

I guess they like tanks?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Leandros posted:

How many weapons shot in self-defense trigger sirens?

The Ukrainian security state would never show such bad faith as to turn on the alarms after an artillery exchange they started first

Not to be snarky but I'm just not getting it here. There's also the possibility that the people who run civil defense alarms have no clue what the army is doing.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

lol Austria-Hungary strikes again. Orban is genuinely correct to use his NATO and EU membership as leverage to protect Hungarians in the region.

As the resident Habsburg friend I'm gonna ask you directly: what's the best book about Maximilian I?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I read all of your post but really I should've said I meant the other Maximilian I

Like I've always wondered how he became so "liberal" for his time

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

This is why we put who we put in charge in 2014.

Oh come on not like he said he wanted to be like a country with a large second class citizenry living under violent armed occupation

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

As opposed to Ukrainian recruitment videos, which only sexualize blonde, blue-eyed Ukrainian women

Edit: terrible snipe

Trying to hide your gamer light rig with a cat, shame

Also these people would have their minds blown by what people painted on US Army Air Force bombers

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

a certain person pretending the loving Saudis can independently operate an advanced SAM system.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Yeah it might be a case of "comes with a bunch of advisors", I think there's other procurement contracts that worked like that where staff to help and run stuff came in the bill

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Starsfan posted:

I went to an industry conference where they had a seminar about understanding the issues faced by indigenous communities and working with indigenous stakeholders. The seminar was led by a member of that community who was employed by Imperial Oil as the head of their outreach and consultation with the first nations communities in the areas they operate in Canada and the States.. so like somebody these freaks should have respected as being high up in their world. The entire thing devolved into 40-60 year old men whining about how indigenous people aren't forced to take "white sensitivity" training and how much of a waste of time and money attending the seminar was.

It could be that these men were sick and tired of the political correctness run amok, or it could be that there's alot of loving racists and degenerates in Canada

Not like we had a pogrom against Mikmaq fishermen just like two years ago

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

If you want to read some absolute sicko poo poo, The Ukrainian Insurgent Army: A History of Ukraine’s Unvanquished Freedom Fighters is illuminating.

For example, here's how it refers to Babi Yar: "The OUN stood its ground and was even able to launch a massive anti-Soviet uprising in the first days of the German-Soviet war."

And the massacre of Jews and Poles in Ukraine: The expansion of the UPA took place against the background of perpetual con- frontations with enemy forces on three fronts: anti- German (fighting the agencies of the government of occupation), anti-Soviet (fighting Red partisans), and anti-Polish (fighting Polish underground units that considered Western Ukraine part of the Polish state). Nonetheless, the Ukrainian insurgents suc- ceeded in liberating substantial territories from the various occupying forces, and Ukrainian govern- ments were installed in these so-called insurgent re- publics.

There's way more but what kills me is how many of these talking points have passed seamlessly into the mainstream Canadian press.

I just realized Freeland is Michael Ignatieff Remix. Oh no.

E: the liberals ran this Ukranian nationalist candidate with no connection to any of the traditional liberal base straight out of the loving Kennedy School and triggered Harper's eternal reign

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 22:16 on Jan 21, 2023

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

lol isn't it illegal in Poland to talk about collaboration and/or Polish Perpetrators?

Well

wikipedia posted:

The Amendment to the Act on the Institute of National Remembrance of 2018 is a Polish law that penalizes public speech which attributes responsibility for the Holocaust to Poland or the Polish nation. Article 2a, addressing crimes against "Polish citizens" by "Ukrainian nationalists", also caused controversy.[1]

wonder what nationalists are being talked about in part two here and what the controversy is

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Hey gradenko2k thought they were banned

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Probably the place to ask. I'm soberizing and would like a good military history book about North Preston and our Black Loyalists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Anyway, as soon as one side figured out the right combination of tactics, the other side would compensate, the First World War ended because the Entente simply had too much of an industrial and manpower advantage because of the US.

Like Alvaro Obregon figuring out trenches and barbed wire and artillery and machine guns from the news then immediately destroying Villa's cavalry. One side got the new war

E: thanks FF