Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Selachian posted:

Archie 2/27/46

Those kids today call this music? It's just noise!

“Let ‘er rock” in 1946? I know rock as a genre predates 1955, but I’m surprised to see this. I’m not sure when an Archies rock band was introduced.

These are the first interesting Pogos, too. Giving every character the same irritating fakey accent makes it rough at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Wallace’s family is teasing the mom for going outside when the stove puts out so much warmth. And it does. We had one when I was a kid, I remember opening windows in December because it worked so well.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I liked Little Lefty before it became Gil Thorpe.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Rifle around the Internet Archive and you can find early Mad Magazines, including their parodies of Archie, Popeye, Pogo and Prince Valiant.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Doomykins posted:

You know, Blind Alley isn't badly done but I think this perfectly summarizes the problem with its pacing. If I held a gun to your head and didn't let you search the past strips could you match those names to any of the characters? Hell, I can barely tell that Not-Ness is there after the deliberate effort to make them actually Not-Ness. And if they have a name, well, blow my brains out if you think I'm going remember it.

I can't even remember the Hippies having a beef, Pod being around(who?) or why a Popeye character is real.

I wasn’t aware these kids had names.

I like Breaking Cat News but I still haven’t sorted all the cats’ names out. I know Lupin is the white one who has more personality than the others. I think the black one is Puck and Elvis and Goldie are look alikes. I think. I wish she hadn’t added more cats.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Tambaloneus posted:

Setting a wasp nest on fire just makes them all incredibly angry. Ask my dad how he knows. Trying to put it out with a hose will make them so much angrier. Ask my dad how he knows that too.

Did your dad discover anything that doesn’t make wasps terribly angry? Because I’ve never found it myself.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Will Henry should have run this one yesterday and the one yesterday where Wallace has lost his shoes today.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (March 17-19, 1938)

Even in his moment of victory, Willie still looks like he'd bolt at the snap of a twig.

That kid looks like the starring charatter of a series of 1980s slasher films. Why is he drawn like that?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

I just know I'm going to have a nightmare this year and this little bugeyed twerp kid is going to be the star of it.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Strontium posted:

Dark Side of the Horse

Yeah, that counts.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
If Spud is Roast Beef, that makes Amelia be Pat.

Don't ask me who Rose is.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

I shouldn’t be this stunned that any comic strip husband did something nice for his wife.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

The_Other posted:

Kit + The Wolf

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Konami loved the Reivers. They not only turned up in the six-person X-Men game, one’s a boss in the Punisher game, too.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
There should be a bar for comic strip main characters who don’t appear in their own strips. Rex Morgan, Judge Parker, Barney Google. There were a bewildering number of Peanuts when I was a kid that did NOT feature good ol’ Charlie Brown.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Tonight's Little Lefty: the dangers of conflicting loyalties. (May 26-28, 1938)

Can confirm, i queered myself by pulling a lot of boners.

Major Hoople had better not kill that parrot or pluck its feathers out. It seems like most times a parrot turns up in a cartoon, it’s to torture it.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
FTR Bob gets a measly $9.07 and should totally spring for Hawaii instead.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Selachian posted:

Everybody remembers the late lamented Al Jaffee's Mad work, including the Fold-Ins and the Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions book, the latter of which played an important role in making smart-alecky kids like me even more insufferable.

But did you know Jaffee also had a newspaper comic? Tall Tales was a wordless gag panel that ran from 1958 to 1963. The gimmick was the different orientation of the strip -- it was drawn in portrait, rather than landscape, style, taking up about half a newspaper column.

Here's a handful of randomly chosen Tall Tales strips for your enjoyment. Feels like there's a definite Charles Addams influence there.

Thank you, I wondered if someone had some of these. And cheers to Al, may he laugh and point at whatever is left of Jesse Helms forever.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

But...HAL wouldn't open the podbay doors....

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

manero posted:

No Nancy 1943 for today, so all you get is Pluggers

Are we being punished for something?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Pooch Café 1957

Oh, thank you! I needed my day ruined.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Is Home Free considering jettisoning its revolting premise of “homelessness is a lifestyle choice!”?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Mister Beeg posted:

Oyako donburi is a dish where a bowl of rice is covered with chicken and egg. The name literally translates to "Parent and Child" (because chicken and egg, get it?).

The joke being that the little kid tricked them into going out for oyako donburi by saying he saw a "child and a parent drown".

The dish is also the inspiration for this Paul Simon song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0BUsDf0dxY

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Wait, where is Curtis set? I always thought New York. Where are they getting these turtles?

I thought Chicago, so this sea turtle business is extra baffling to me.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

So there’s no way that the other dog in Mary Worth is actually dead, right? I don’t even want to see the fighting dogs, because in real life they’d probably have to be killed, and it’s not their fault they’re so aggressive.

This part feels plagiarized from the Tiffany subplot of the movie Benji, so I expect this white dog to become the dachshund's girlfriend.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Doesn't Calvin live somewhere in the Midwest, where potato salad made with Miracle Whip is considered "exotic"?

He lives near the E in "States."

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Doomykins posted:

I think with the art and writing shown that Home Free could tell a decent goofy for-kids comedy story from start to finish but beating a few jokes into dust for 1-2 dozen strips in a row isn't playing to their strengths.

I doubt anyone who thinks homelessness is a cutesy premise for a comic strip is capable of telling any kind of story well.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

look I do not think making light of homelessness is a very good premise for a comic strip

No kidding. These suck.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Jesus Christ how big was that watermelon

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

I put the over/under line on that boy dying at 20 pages.

Did I miss what happened to Alfred? He and Val fled Camelot after the comedy horse incident. I know they settled affairs with the Saxon, but Alfred vanished out of the story and Arthur should still be mad.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Julet Esqu posted:

Is Charles Boyce okay? :ohdear:

He never has been before, why would he be okay now?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

LvK posted:

a brief collection of possible origin stories for Sterling.

Sterling doesn't have briefs in any of these, man.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

readingatwork posted:

If people want I can re-post Blind Alley from the beginning a few pages a day so that new people/people who are lost can catch up. I find that it reads a lot better in a continuous sitting than in bits and pieces anyways.

A synopsis would be helpful. A character list with brief descriptions and a picture, plus a short summary of the plot would be nice.

I don’t want to read Blind Alley, though I often do by accident. I would like to know what’s going on and why anyone likes it. I think I gave up paying regular attention after the third or fourth time a kid discovered the birds were cameras, and nothing came as a follow-up. I’m not even sure how many kids there are, let alone their names or personalities. The author puts an incredible amount of work into this strip that just doesn’t register as existing.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Sure, I can do that.

Blind Alley so far :siren:(spoilers)::siren:
(You can read it from the beginning HERE if you'd prefer to catch up that way.

The Cast:

Also this thing. I don't know it's name:

The General Gist of Things:
Blind Alley is a normal slice of life strip about a bunch of normal (if a bit eccentric) kids living in a normal suburb named Blind Alley. It features mostly small character moments and snapshots in time often designed to create a vibe more than anything else. Picture something along the lines of Peanuts but with more sad children having feelings about stuff.

Or is it!?!?

If you're paying attention you start noticing that the strip has a lot of deeply weird details. Some of these include:
  • A Can on a string that spouts gibberish.
  • A shadowy person(?) living in the sewers.
  • Lots of ruined architecture/cars/etc
  • Weird plant life in places
  • Magic may or may not be real
  • The hobo kid takes orders from birds and talks to his satchel.
  • Apocalyptic visions
  • Birds aren't real, you idiot. You absolute rube

Eventually, this weirdness works it's way out of the background details when Red (the large kid with the hoodie) discovers that there are several cameras around town disguised as birds and decides to investigate. At which point something loosely resembling a proper plot slowly begins to take shape (though it's still mostly small character beats).

So what's happened so far?
Quite a lot and also not much at all. Overarching plot-wise, Red gathered up a bunch of robot birds and was using his hacker skillz to investigate when his parents decided to take his computer away for reasons that remain unclear. Just recently he teamed up with Crane to pick up the investigation where he left off.

Meanwhile, in another subplot Penny the dog runs away from town in shame after a game of fetch goes very slightly wrong and encounters Wander, a wandering hobo kid on orders from birds to find Blind Alley for unknown reasons. The dog sees that Wander's satchel contains some kind of one-eyed Lovecraftian shadow demon and bails but Wander pursues him thinking the dog might know how to find Blind Alley (the dog is sentient and the satchel demon can read minds, ok!?). A chase ensues but is interrupted by some sort of wasteland monsters that attack. Wander drops his stick/satchel demon off a cliff, the dog jumps off said cliff to fetch it (because dogs like sticks) and now the satchel demon and dog are working together to try and find a way back to Blind Alley. Wander on the other hand gets lost and is captured by a pack of strange kids that look suspiciously similar to several of the main cast. He is currently trying to escape.

Finally, in a third subplot Pip discovers the weird shadowy figure and starts feeding it chocolate until one day it drags Pip down into the sewers with him. It turns out the shadowy figure is some sort of bird person (and maybe a science experiment) and seems nice enough. They form a friendship and eventually Pip is just allowed to leave. HOWEVER! Shortly after he leaves the bird person runs out of chocolate and starts going a bit insane.

I'm sure it's fine.

And most importantly, Ten got a new hat!

(I'll do the cast with their individual subplots in a separate post.)

Thank you for this, it's the first time I've been able to see any organization in the strip at all. Standing by for part 2.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

readingatwork posted:

OK, part 2 of What the Actual Hell is Going on in Blind Alley:

The Cast and Their Subplots:

Sweatpea:

Some kind of hippie and Pod's BFF. She seems to share some sort of psychic link with nature, Sweatpea, and also the baby for some reason. She's been having ominous dreams but otherwise hasn't done much beyond talk to trees and idly muse on nature and being human.

Wander:

See!? I wasn't kidding when I said he he takes orders from birds! Wander is a wandering hobo who's traveling with his bindel demon to find Blind Alley for reasons that are still not clear. He seems nice enough and is kind of dumb in a shounen protagonist sort of way (complete with being obsessed with food). He is currently trying to not get murdered by a pack of wasteland children.

Oliver:

A very strange child and possible egg waiting to hatch. He used to get treated pretty badly by his best friend Ten (and still kind of does) but these days their relationship seems to be becoming more healthy. He also seems to have joined whatever weird nature cult Sweatpea and Pod are in.

Ten:

Ten is an awful little poo poo who lashes out at everybody and everything because he's not dealing with his sick mother's prolonged illness well. While he particularly enjoyed picking on Kaye and Oliver, everybody was on the receiving end of his bullshit to the point where he was eventually booted from the friend group. This (and the guilt from murdering an innocent and very real bird) have caused him to do some introspection and try to make up for his mistakes. Most of the friend group has been receptive to this but Kaye still hates his guts.

April:

An aspiring magician that hangs out in the periphery and hasn't done much yet. May have actual magical powers.

Pip:

A pajama aficionado and irredeemable monster who thinks stealing is good and has probably already stolen your car while you were reading this. Pip was feeding chocolate to the local sewer monster and was eventually kidnapped and dragged into it's lair. Fortunately the sewer monster turned out to be Acme, who was friendly and seemed to just want to be friends. Acme showed Pip around his subterranean bachelor pad where Pip spotted "Pika Pete", a plush Pikachu doll belonging to April which had gone missing at some point in some traumatic way. Pip also seems to have almost immediately begun regretting his friendship to Acme due to getting some bad vibes and is now contemplating stealing the doll back.

Kaye

A budding otaku and comic book artist as well as Elroy's sister. Really loving hates Ten after having to deal with his bullshit for what I assume is several years. She recently learned through an old photo album and Elroy's psychic powers that the reason Ten kept calling her "Betty" was because she used to have a twin sister with the same name that Ten was friends with who disappeared at some point. It's still not clear what happened to her.

Elroy

Elroy is a super-intelligent baby that is also psychic.

Pod

Sweatpea's other half. She does all the same things Sweatpea does but is kind of morbid and dark about it. She and Sweatpea were fighting for a while off-screen at one point but whatever it was about was also resolved off-screen so... :shrug:

Red

Blind Alley's resident computer wiz kid currently trying to get to the bottom of why the town is full of robot birds. He seems to be particularly good friends with Crane but has been spending more time with the rest of the cast now that his parents took away his computer. He shares my feelings on participating in sports.

Crane

Crane is sad that his dog is missing and will tell you this in 9/10 conversations you have with him. Aside from being aloof and helping Red with his investigation he is also trying to learn how to skateboard by using an old board he found in his parent's closet. For the life of me I can't tell if the above comic is supposed to be lore or a joke about how the times change.

Penny

Penny is a dog who fled town in shame after he knocked a couple kids over while chasing a stick. While kind of dense, Penny is also very loyal and is currently trying to get back home to his owner Crane.To this end he has formed an alliance of convenience with Wander's demon-on-a-stick (???). The current plan is to find Wander, who they got separated from when they fell off a cliff. However Penny is still not sure if he trusts them enough to actually help them get to Blind Alley.

Lula

Honestly, I'm just kind of assuming she's a real vampire at this point based solely on how weird everything else is. Though if that's the case she doesn't seem to be feeding on people for real for some reason. Aside from doing vampire stuff she has also been forming a legitimately adorable bond with a local stray cat she has named "Uncle Michael".

Acme

There is a very good chance that Acme's arc won't end with him killing Pip and hanging his corpse in his murder basement. I have a good feeling about this one.

???

Wander's partner and the smart one of the pair. While kind of creepy and a bit of an rear end in a top hat he doesn't seem to be malicious. ??? can read minds which has allowed him to team up with Penny to find Wander. Pretty much everything about him is still a mystery at this point.

Uncle Michael

I also love Uncle Michael. :3:

There, I hope that helps. Also that took forever so you'll get new comics tomorrow morning.

Thank you again, I appreciate the work. There are multiple pairs of kids I thought were the same kid, it's worse than telling Elvis from Goldie in Breaking Cat News.

Speaking of cat comics, there's a Japanese one called "What's Michael?" that's probably where this Uncle Michael gets his name, I'm thinking. I'm getting strong manga vibes off the bindle creature too.

Also:

Hippocrass posted:

Comic Strips 2023: Archie! Why were you born?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
How did the unlikable fat villain take over Little Lefty?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Doomykins posted:

Scary Gary pulls it off smoothly

Wait, what? Scary Gary is terrible all the way through.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

riderchop posted:

lol the funny thing is i did remove the patreon link for a few days to see how it'd go over

good to know theyre not even actually reading the posts

Maybe you should :justpost: some better comics, friend.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Would you guys quit spoilering all the nudity. Some of us are hungry for leg of lamb.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Antivehicular posted:

I would really enjoy forgetting Holbrook and his comics exist, tbh

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Vargo posted:

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

All I can hear is the voices of these two: https://youtu.be/BvvEdrzItSI?si=drlcyYaHllLEp1TH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 15, 1959)

That table isn’t round.

Are we meeting Galahad now? He’s usually the one involved in Grail stories.