Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Steam is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Foul Fowl posted:

i'd recommend playing through the games in order if you're interested in the franchise as a whole since they form a nice coherent skill curve from 1 to 2 to 3 to elden ring.

Actually you should start with kings field 1 so you really understand everything that came before.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Elden Ring is the first souls game i played all the way through.

It was very enjoyable and helped along by easy coop and the knowledge that if something was annoying i could just loving walk away.

Dont like it? Hit the bricks. Thats the elden ring way.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Personally I like Sekiro best because you never get stuck wondering if your gear is bad for a fight, if you should level more, if this is a fight where they expect you to use summons, if you're doing things in the right order, etc. The simplicity of just having one weapon and a few different side moves really does a helluva a lot for the game. Elden Ring is really good if you don't mind a bit of grind to get a new weapon up to par and can resist throwing yourself at the same enemy a hundred times though.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's no way I'd recommend Sekiro to someone who's on the edge of enjoying souls games, it's balls hard and I say that as a Sekiro lover.

Elden Ring was probably my goty for 22 or in the top few, it's an absolutely gorgeous sprawling world filled with poo poo to discover, murder, and get murdered by.

You don't need to dig into the Deep Lore to enjoy it, and you don't have to tackle optional difficult content or bosses, and you can just gently caress off to the hills and do something else if you get stuck.

Jaunting around on the world on a fukken magical jumping horse owns bones, and if you enjoy exploration and discovery it's a slam pick.

Relax about dying (you never lose anything meaningful, and you keep everything you pick up and every shortcut you open), enjoy the sights, try finger but hole

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Dackel posted:

Steam is Epic

These are actually different things.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

i finally started sekiro and its good as hell and also destroying my rear end

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

:chloe:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I am not really Good At Videogames but I love Elden Ring and I'm drat well going to make more time for it this year. I don't find it easier than Dark Souls, exactly, but I do think it's more accessible. If you're getting frustrated with something and can't get past it, you can always go do something else instead, or radically change your approach to it without much fuss - go ranged, go magic-using, summon help. And I really like the lore and the stories.

And those spinny goats! What other game has spinny goats? ...'Everything' does I suppose.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Gamers got real weird about difficulty in Fromsoft games, like it’s there in places but also not the sole defining trait.

Demnos
Aug 30, 2022

StrixNebulosa posted:

But now I'm trying to decide if I want to do any big purchases before the sale ends

- Is Undernauts: Labyrinth of Yomi any good? I love dungeon crawlers and this one looks big and engaging.

YMMV, but I really disliked Undernauts. The story starts good, but quickly went from feeling like I was playing a horror game to feeling really boring and low stakes. Combat was ridiculously easy; I just used autocombat for every battle except a couple post game boss fights were I spend a single turn casting buffs before going right back to autobattling. I still got wiped out pretty regularly, but there's a mechanic that lets you set teleporters so that you can just head right back to where you died much quicker than fighting properly would have taken. None of the levels felt unique or new and most skills you can invest points into are very unimpressive.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Demnos posted:

YMMV, but I really disliked Undernauts. The story starts good, but quickly went from feeling like I was playing a horror game to feeling really boring and low stakes. Combat was ridiculously easy; I just used autocombat for every battle except a couple post game boss fights were I spend a single turn casting buffs before going right back to autobattling. I still got wiped out pretty regularly, but there's a mechanic that lets you set teleporters so that you can just head right back to where you died much quicker than fighting properly would have taken. None of the levels felt unique or new and most skills you can invest points into are very unimpressive.

My wallet thanks you! I want to try it myself but not at 40$

Thinking about Elden Ring more. Hmm. I should install Dark Souls 2, I can’t play 1 after seeing three LPs of it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

StrixNebulosa posted:

My wallet thanks you! I want to try it myself but not at 40$

Thinking about Elden Ring more. Hmm. I should install Dark Souls 2, I can’t play 1 after seeing three LPs of it.

The fashion in Elden Ring is really good! And your character actually looks like your character instead of 'your character but a raisin'!

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

ShadowMar posted:

i finally started sekiro and its good as hell and also destroying my rear end

I once heard someone say about Sekiro's combat, "Treat it like a rhythm game" and it made things much easier for me.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

FilthyImp posted:

Doesn't the dude achieve godlike power, overthrow the stranger aliens, and just retreat to a world of fantasy because it's otherwise impossible to know what was real and who came from where?

(Continued Dark City talk.) Yes, yes, no. In the final scene he meets up with Jennifer Connelly's character but she's had her memories replaced one last time so he's effectively a stranger to her, but hey, maybe they'll fall in love again anyway. It's not totally out of place because the movie is pretty clear in its statement that there's more to humanity than just raw memory, but idk. I'm not sure if it's actually a full blown trope but the "someone's memory is erased but things will work out anyway" concept wigs me out pretty bad, even if in Dark City it's meant to be optimistic and earnest.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Gamers got real weird about difficulty in Fromsoft games, like it’s there in places but also not the sole defining trait.

I feel like there's a significant overlap between people who take Dark Souls way too seriously and people who over-mythologize the original Zelda as being mysterious and inscrutable because they didn't read the instruction booklet.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Is jedi fallen order super hard and stuff? It's tagged souls like and I don't know if that means 'it's hard and you have to die a bunch of times' or something else

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Resdfru posted:

Is jedi fallen order super hard and stuff? It's tagged souls like and I don't know if that means 'it's hard and you have to die a bunch of times' or something else
no it just means there's a stamina bar and attacks have windups
there's a "story" difficulty setting if you get frustrated

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Resdfru posted:

It has difficulty settings and I had no problem on easy mode or whatever. This is coming from someone who has kinda sworn off souls type games because I’m not down for the challenge. But yes it’s trying to ape that style of game with a little more traversal mechanics thrown in.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Resdfru posted:

I'm a filthy casual and I played it on normal and it was fine for a game that involves timing based combat.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
My game is participating in the Steam Winter sale for the next couple days, maybe check it out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1492750/Mega_Knockdown/. It's a turn-based take on 2D fighting games. The graphics are still in an early state, but I've recently started collaborating with an artist, and we're doing a big graphical overhaul over the next couple of months, starting with a set of rough sketch-style sprites and then polishing those up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37kN3pS9h14

There's a whole thread of Goon made games but it hasn't been updated in awhile: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3957894

And there's this other thread where Goon game devs hang out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506853

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
drat, new thread. I really fell off in the last half of the year playing games as I got more into Switch jrpgs. Still, there were some interesting experiences

pentyne posted:

Final Fantasy X

It's weirdly better then I thought even though it still had a lot of the worst parts of grindy jrpgs of the era.

pentyne posted:

Elden Ring

Solid GOTY for years to come. Might be one of the best open world games made yet.

pentyne posted:

Sakuna of Rice and Ruin

Very fun and cute 2D action platformer with a base building mechanic centered around an intensely in depth rice farming simulator.

pentyne posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

A massive improvement over the first game, and it hits the same vibe that Fallout New Vegas did. I would say this is the game that has finally solved the issues of taking DnD style combat into video games.

pentyne posted:

Yakuza 4

Just a massive bag of problems and really only worth playing if you have to play them all in order.

pentyne posted:

Warhammer 40K Inquistor

Could not get into it, it seemed like a Diablo style online game with way too many currencies and graphically everything was so dull and dreary it was had to see.

pentyne posted:

Yakuza 5
Okay, there's no polite way to say this, but this game is dumb, like terminally dumb, in a way I have never seen in the Yakuza series up to this point.

8/10.

Very weird experience.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Mad Wack posted:

what's everyone's first purchase for 2023? i got chained echoes

Tempted to make Chained Echoes mine as well. I am absolutely flying through Spider-Man at the moment and loving every second of it, but I expect I'll beat it within a week or so.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Mad Wack posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1620340/Wrestling_Empire/

Wresling Empire. A solo-dev project with a free-roam mode where you can murder people backstage, attend their funeral, then beat people up at the funeral.

The randomness is great. During my character's early days at Wrestling School I accidentally drank too much milk and pissed myself before a 1v1 with Mike Bail. Mike saw it happen and he gave me a handshake before telling me I should do it in a toilet next time. During our match he brought his Tag Team Championship partner, Shank to 2v1 me, so I broke both of their faces outside of the ring with a broom handle. The next week, Mike gave me a hug when he saw me.

Much later, after being picked up by Rising Sun Puroresu and going on a 20 match win streak, I picked up a ringing cell phone on the ground that resulted in my character's name being forcibly changed from DIEPHOON to Larry McIntyre.

I cannot change it back.

If you eat too much before your match, you might poo poo yourself during the Pay Per View! (Loud warning, also, poo poo warning)

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlainHappyMeerkatAMPTropPunch-Q-pbO_2xUkj24bxU

Best wrestling game I've played since No Mercy on the N64.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mad Wack posted:

Yakuza Zero, I played on PS4 at launch but my ps4 died and its been 6 years holy poo poo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mad Wack posted:

Severed Steel, which owns.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Does GMG have the cheapest price for Elden Ring right now?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Does GMG have the cheapest price for Elden Ring right now?

For the most part, yes. Fanatical has it for a few cents cheaper, but it's more or less the same ($37.37USD GMG vs $37.19USD Fanatical), especially if GMG tossed you a coupon for Christmas- check your email.

You can check CheapShark to see which places are selling a game for what price.

https://www.cheapshark.com/search#q:ELDEN%20RING

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mad Wack posted:

Finally picked up Half Life: Alyx, I hope that I can manage the VR for more than a few minutes! :ohdear:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

I got My Time at Sandrock and Gedonia

although I'm not done necessarily. I'm gonna see what's in the Humble Choice on Tuesday and then I'll buy a couple more things. I'm thinking Cruelty Squad bare minimum, maybe Dread Delusion, Overboard, Viviette and Stonefly. And Chop Goblins. Idk, maybe more. Why not tank my backlog stats yet again??

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

This one was free on EPIC the week of Christmas, maybe I'll check it out.

I don't have a contribution because I don't buy games!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Crossposting from the hidden gems thread since the game’s on sale:

Cantorsdust posted:

I’ve recommended this game before and I’ll recommend it here:

Did you love King of Dragon Pass? Or its sequel Six Ages? Do you like Choose Your Own Adventures? Do you like dragons? Then I highly recommend Golden Treasure: The Great Green.

Play as a newly hatched dragon trying to survive. Hunt prey in turn based combat. Explore your first river valley environment. Run into local encroaching human tribes and get into trouble. Discover and collect treasures. Make deals with neighboring dragons. Grow and mature, and migrate to new lands. Claim your territory and defend it. Seek out a mate, or two. Seek wisdom. Seek the heart of nature. Grow ancient and wise. Then, in consultation with other dragons and after considering your experiences with humans, decide what kind of dragon you are and what you want the world’s future to look like.

It’s a charming, hand painted CYOA where you explore 3 spacious overworld maps with dozens of points of interest, play out stories, train 4 paths of skills, hunt, trade, and collect treasure. It has a touching story with 3 endings depending on your choices, all of which I consider valid and interesting.

It’s half off for the winter sale and absolutely worth getting. It also has a demo of the first act (of 3) if you want to try first. If you like story games or CYOAs I can highly recommend it. It has xml based files if you want to mod or cheat.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 2, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'll second the recommendation for the Golden Treasure of the Great Green. It was so much better than I expected. If you like narrative stories, you really owe it to yourself to try it out.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

So the No More Heroes ports are garbage huh

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

fit em all up in there posted:

So the No More Heroes ports are garbage huh

Yes. At least 1 and 2 are. One of the few times I refunded.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

LLSix posted:

I'll second the recommendation for the Golden Treasure of the Great Green. It was so much better than I expected. If you like narrative stories, you really owe it to yourself to try it out.

I'll third it. Golden Treasure is well worth your time if you enjoy slightly weird narrative games.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
So anyone got any recommendations for games that 3 to 6 year olds can play? For an idea of what they like: they love Wobbly Life and Grand Theft Auto 5 (with the family friendly mod). So basically open world driving but you can get outta the car and do stuff too.

I think sadly Wobbly life and gta v modded are gonna be it. So I'll take other types of games that are wholesome and kid friendly if anyone has any

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

victrix posted:

There's no way I'd recommend Sekiro to someone who's on the edge of enjoying souls games, it's balls hard and I say that as a Sekiro lover.

Elden Ring was probably my goty for 22 or in the top few, it's an absolutely gorgeous sprawling world filled with poo poo to discover, murder, and get murdered by.

You don't need to dig into the Deep Lore to enjoy it, and you don't have to tackle optional difficult content or bosses, and you can just gently caress off to the hills and do something else if you get stuck.

Jaunting around on the world on a fukken magical jumping horse owns bones, and if you enjoy exploration and discovery it's a slam pick.

Relax about dying (you never lose anything meaningful, and you keep everything you pick up and every shortcut you open), enjoy the sights, try finger but hole

I've played 90 hours and still haven't got the faintest idea what's going on

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Spent most of the day playing Elden Ring with a friend using the seamless coop mod plus the randomizer mod, it was probably the most fun thing I've ever done in my life. The game kicks rear end.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FFX is the most boring game I have ever played and I have suffered through 30 hours of it become one of my friends kept insisting that "it gets good soon".
That'll teach me to trust people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

If you don't like blitzball, those dumbasses, or JRPGs in general then yeah definitely don't play FFX for 30 hours, you'll know if you'll like the game an hour in, maybe your opinion on the story might change