Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

How the gently caress does someone see this in a mirror and think "Yeah, I'm good. Public appearance time!"

To be fair, I believe this is a pic of him after the Ukrainian authorities arrested him in the morning. I don't think he was expecting any photos.

That said, he's still a scumbag, so gently caress him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Somaen posted:

The president literally got into a helicopter and flew away to another country abandoning his job

He also had a golden loaf of bread, a private zoo and kitschy poo poo like that, a complete idiot oligarch that anyone with some functional braincells cheered on getting rid of

Let he who hasn't siphoned off the wealth of his nation in order to build a life-sized spanish galleon on his private lake cast the fist stone :colbert:

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Between Shock Therapy and this, its pretty clear Jeffrey Sachs gets off on hurting Eastern Europeans.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Why is Russia escalating this situation

Don’t they know that war bad?

Have they not considered peace talks with this Freedom of Russia Legion?

Why is putin not meeting with Lula Da Silva on this matter

Anyone who disagrees with this is a bloodthirsty lib.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm woefully uninformed here and this thread goes long, but can someone clear this up - So this Freedom of Russia thing is real? There's a uhhh squad, or a number of Russian citizens fighting against Putin from inside Russia? Or is this some sort of show

Its certainly as real as the DNR and LNR

edit: ...for what that's worth (which isn't much)

BigRoman fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 22, 2023

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Sad. Had no idea that Rich Evans was a tankie.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

even russia isnt brazen enough to try and pass off that theyre vaporizing abrams with t-72s

e: real response is that its russia, leopard 2s are german, and russia has a thing about specifically german tanks fighting russian military (to be fair, so does germany) going back to generational trauma from ww2. almost feels reflexive, when chances to own the germans militarily pop up they get jumped on with both feet in a way that would not (and likely will not) happen with challenger 2s or Abrams. though they may do something similar for when they finally take out an Abrams, that would be too good of a propaganda victory to not run with, but it would have a different feel to it than "german tanks were here in 1942 and now we're fighting german tanks here again in 2023" for the general populace. if you tie that back into the "denazification" angle of the russian invasion you end up at this spot where everything's a leopard 2 that was destroyed, even that tractor, and the brainworms take over from there

To be fair, if they had been this anti-German between 1939 to 1941, or when established the Kama Tank School, or when they established the Lipetsk fighter-pilot school, they could have potentially avoided some major misery, so I don't blame them.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

the complaint is russia is getting its poo poo kicked in and they dont like it

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/05/29/two-weeks-at-the-front-in-ukraine

Two Weeks at the Front in Ukraine, a good article.

This was a great article. Thanks for sharing his.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Computer viking posted:

It's frustrating how some of the most realistic Russian takes are coming from people who think the biggest Russian mistake was not invading hard enough.

:same:

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

...Why are they not starting with like, a coup on Moscow itself? Don't you ussually want to decapitate leadership as soon as possible?

You are going to attack back INTO Russia from occupied Ukraine, and drive for how many miles to Moscow?

Uhhh, do they know how to coup? I feel Trump planned this better.

War in Ukraine: I feel Trump planned this better.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

parthenocarpy posted:

Is there a Civilization analogy you could give me, like someone has a Humiliation meter score of 6 and they lose their nation when it hits 7? That would be really cool too! LOL that you think your business analogy has a practical application to wartime Russia

So weird to see Alexander Kerensky posting on the forums

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
ignore me. didnt mean to post.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Tai posted:

gently caress off back to your crayon eating thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Don't be an rear end. He was posting in good faith.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

What is with all the tankies showing up?

The same thing happened during the Ukrainian offensive last year. A bunch of people I've never seen post in either this or the D&D thread show up to explain how they can't believe America is forcing the gentle Ukrainian's (who are all nazi's btw) to fight to the last man for a lost cause, and how can everyone in this thread be so racist and bloodthirsty for not supporting the guys that brought you Bucha, and mods shut this thread down!!

I don't have a clear view of what is happening along the front. I'm sure its miserable, desperate, and sad for both sides. But, as the frequency and intensity of these types of posts increases, I can't help but think that Ukraine is just a few weeks away from forcing the invaders to withdraw even further. I know it's not logical, but neither is calling yourself a leftist and supporting a brutal colonial war. So :shrug:

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Seeing the architect of the 2014 invasion of Ukraine swallowed up by the very system that enabled him to live out his imperial fantasies is hilarious and will never stop being funny.

On a more troubling note, I have it on good authority that arresting your own controlled opposition 3 weeks after an attempted coup is something that only dictators with a firm grasp on power do. Maybe Ukraine should surrender before the inevitable?

To save lives - of course.

BigRoman fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 22, 2023

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

Also this is kind of a lol for me if you know anything about Propagandhi and :byetankie:

Propagandhi is great (even though I'm not really into their newer more metal stuff). The fact that they appear to have allowed their music to be used for relief for Ukraine is further proof of this.

BigRoman fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 3, 2023

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

PinheadSlim posted:

Bad Religion, too. Big relief to find out they're still cool

:same:

edit: Rancid too! I'm gonna buy this album right now.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

I have blown up
some IL-72
that were in
Pskov

and which
you were probably
saving
for paradrops

Forgive me
they were too tempting
so large
and so flammable

- William Cossack Williams

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

khwarezm posted:

This sort of seems like an admission that Ukraine's major allies might be losing faith in a long war, I think we can assume they were not happy about the results of the counter offensive and sceptical that much progress will be made from now on.

Did you even read the article?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah, I didn't used to believe in the horseshoe, but once we get to 'human beings are too dumb for democracy, we need to force them into communism for their own good - and that means supporting Russian imperialism (but don't worry its technically not imperialist because 'communism can't be imperalist' jfc)', well, we're fully in the authoritarian left which is mostly white people talking about how we should have revolution while not thinking about the fact that the majority of bodies fighting that revolution for them will be brown and black. you're signing up your countries poor population for death and war, and it will hit them harder than you. maybe don't use the poor as your canon fodder for coveted violent revolution. go die for your cause yourself, if its so important.

there's a reason fred hampton rolled his eyes at the white revolutionary left, and its bc they were all to happy to push violence while not having lived it, and to not consider who that violence will affect. if you really are so misanthropic that you think people are 'too dumb to know what they want', don't expect them to get in front of a gun for you then. either you respect their desires and needs and fight with them, or you leave them alone, but you don't get to look down on people while also trying turn the poor into your revolutionary fighting force. then you're just the us govt lol.

there's a point where the left gets to 'and a charismatic leader needs to control it' that loving creeps me out. the idea is supposed to be that we're for the people, you can't be for the people while also thinking they're just sheeple who need to be guided. if your idea of how to organize society is we need a Cultural Daddy who does what's best for us, but let's make sure the Daddy is leftist, then no, go away you loving creep. Go find a dom and work that out in the bedroom.

I'll have you know that I have almost 300 followers on twitter and consistently get at least 9 likes per post. Surely that makes me a member of the vanguard and thus a shoe in for the politburo to come.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Oh that’s right lol that’s much funnier

LOL indeed

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

beer_war posted:

Real journalists fire artillery shells at the Ukrowehrmacht.

The article: https://tvzvezda.ru/news/202427146-2elah.html

This is just a big misunderstanding. He was wearing the press patch to mourn the passing of Gonzalo Lira.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Vile. If not for the screamingly obvious fact that this twat-in-a-hat is a paid actor, I'd have loved to have seen a bunch of GRU blokes appear from nowhere and pack him off to Avdiivka with only a butter knife and cap gun.

That being said it'd be even funnier if the apparent "actor" (poo poo at his job) was still bundled off and sent into the supposedly non-existent meat grinder, screaming and kicking along the way, to defend against facism. Meaning he'd have to defect.

Wanker.

I don't think that's a paid actor. It's from the 1420 youtube channel.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

pro starcraft loser posted:

Telling the country giving you the vast amount of money, armament, and (assumingly) intel to do what they want OR ELSE is never a good idea. The Right is going to run with this.

This is the same reason I vote against any left of center candidate during the Democratic Party primaries. I don't want to give the right wingers the ability to call us communists and unamerican :smuggo:

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

The_Franz posted:

You people are arguing with someone who managed to get a 12 year probation, just to come back and resume shitposting the second it expired.

This cannot be stressed enough.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

Funding just passed.

Looking forward to a bunch of humanitarians coming into this thread to explain that now is the best time for Ukraine to surrender for a ceasefire when this passes the Senate.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

:goonsay: Further proof that the wise and brave Vladimir Vladimirovich is fighting to save the simple Ukrainian peasants from colonization by the perfidous anglo-saxons

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Rusty 1983 Lada posted:

lol da noooooooks

Whose re-reg are you?

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

do you think the bill is good or bad? it seems normal to me and the main objection seems to be it might stigmatize NGOs that have to disclose their sources of funding. this is a normal type of law also found in advanced locations like the EU.

Isn't the problem with the bill that a similar law was used in Russia to tamp down on free speech and civil society?

Maybe its not so much the individual words as much as the fact that many Georgians don't trust a Russian oligarch and his party?

Still, its refreshing to see someone who isn't as deeply cynical as me posting itt.

fake edit: Oh God what a terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

zone posted:

Welp, it looks like Strelkov is done for

Honestly...I miss his doom posting.