Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

stonko! Cukoce estvmin likv?

this guy is going to get erased so hard it's gonna look like that photo of Stalin with the guys he had liquidated and edited out of the shot

I honestly expect Ukrainian prison to try to keep the guy alive to last until tribunal/court happens, just to make an example of him. It may muddy the water of "was it Russia or Russian agents" but the victims are well established as is the law's punishment for such malice. And an official record of grievances suffered as a result of this war matter for assigning blame and reconstruction efforts.

It's not like they're going to shoot him for saying some Russian nationalist line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Dwesa posted:

Btw, RT twitter and other stuff (along with some other Russian media) is not visible in most European countries

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

I've bought a lot of Russian ammo in my life for professional and recreational reasons and it's never been this bad. If that's true then :lmao:

They sold off the good stock. Or rather, they sold off the stock while it was still good.

You can sell surplus ammo as much as you can get away with, but you can only sell bad surplus once, then your buyer won't buy more because the stock is bad.

Also the warehouses that were storing the ammo since... 1993? They probably weren't maintained and only the locks of doors and windows were maintained, because the quartermaster has to control inventory so others don't run off with his milsurp money.

I bet Power Khan is beefing over missing out on a "cow pun" probe :lol:

Not a sapper, but concrete is real bad at torsion forces and that setup looks like it's going to pretzel the rebar in the concrete. Plus, it's demining/UXO disposal at the same time :hai:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

tiaz posted:

Yeah, I was mixing my quotes - it's the first guy with the antipersonnel mine who exposes the primer? blasting cap?- and says "you have to not push this part in" and then taps it with the metal tool he's been using to disassemble it.
Maybe he knows something I don't like the metal case around said primer or whatever is pretty inert and you have to drive the nail into the center portion hard to do anything, but my OSHA senses were tingling in that one.

The whole plate pushes the pin, it's about a distributed weight adding up on a single point. Even the antipersonnel mines have a threshold. It's like a few pounds, but that's a few pounds focused on something the size of a pencil-diameter rod.

Power Khan posted:

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1634304986854092800

That's pretty cool. The 240 is heavy though and all that ammo....

Are those APC/tank bullet tracks, or were they purpose-built?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Pekinduck posted:

If you'd like you can own a Muscovy Duck:

They're originally form South America. :iiam:

If you've ever seen a Caucasus white person have to endure some equatorial sun exposure, the "screaming red face with a blister-looking texture" is only slightly exaggerated.

Also, while a cool duck, it's not on my list of coolest ducks :colbert:

:lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

freelop posted:

Pooh will probably push some peace plan that lets Russia keep territory they stole, Zelensky will reject it and Pooh will decry how he tried to push for peace but the war mongering west are pushing too hard to continue the war.

Or it's a heads up that China is planning on retaking those areas they renamed in Russia recently

Possibly the latter, but in a way that will make it sound like "Ukraine agreed to keep you busy/be a second front while we do this" even if Zelensky said otherwise.

I'd expect a prompt press release from UA over the contents of the call to keep any intentions from being twisted.

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1635271875407368193

Just going to knock on the door of the Kremlin right?

Can't really attend G-n summits if you get Hague'd the moment you land in another country. :shrug:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Not only are they not at war with America, they put American English on the thing?!? :dafuq:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

I'll take a combat ineffective Wagner and a better equipped Russian regular army over a well equipped Wagner force and the barely geared mobiks we currently see. Wagner still has a core of competent fighters with experience and proper gear with proper support. The same doesn't exist for the majority of mobiks and even if they had what Wagner has, spreading it out among the entire RuAF would still lead to a less equipped overall force due to dilution

Simply put, Prigozhin's Wagnerites are the best fighting force Russia has available (which is saying a lot on its own)

They're the best fighting force that Putin is willing to put on the front line.

There's a whole army still in Moscow that Putin is keeping there in case things go coup d'etat-y and it's because he needs to not lose that fight ever. By sending the #2, he accomplishes two goals: 1) he weakens the nearest threat to power and 2) they're far enough away that if they get sufficiently anti-Putin he'll see them coming instead of having them at the door.

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah there's zero chance he ever touches western Europe soil ever again, except when he soils his pants after eating foie gras or some sauerkraut and faceplanting down some stairs

I need Angela Merkel to put a sign outside her house that says "Dog-Free Zone" but in Russian, just to make the point. :lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Horrorosaurus posted:

Hunter Biden practicing inhaling and holding his breath all those years,u think it was for fun? Diving, pipes, dad being the president of the United States....

Connect the dots

Hunter Biden doesn't destroy pipe.

He lays pipe. :clint:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Drone_Fragger posted:

Christ. I dont know why they're not using the ukrainian estimates. They're in the best place to report on it.

Ukraine is technically kind of a biased source, Russia isn't forthcoming with a secondary claim on incidents for obvious reasons, and also Russia is absolutely willing to just carpet strike easy targets--something a war crimes investigation team would be considered--which means investigation teams aren't going in, so a default to the smallest confirmed number is the unfortunate result. It's not uncommon that an attacking army is not exactly forthcoming with their "whoopsiedoodles" that dwarf war casualties, but those numbers usually come out later, when people asking questions don't have to worry about being caught in crossfire.

The reason that this is as big as/bigger than all the heinous poo poo the U.S. did isn't the numbers, it's the active malice behind it. It's as if Abu Ghraib was out in the open instead of behind prison walls, and to a larger scale.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The threadreaderapp for that gets around all those dumb "you must log in to see this tweet because some numbnuts called it :airquote: adult content :airquote: for some godawful reason" problems that normal twitter is rife with.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Look, Netflix is dumb and bad and their recent un-sharing of family plans will totally make piracy cool again, but now I'm conflicted about voicing support of piracy knowing some Russians are doing it as a circumvention of sanctions, because anti-Russian forces will make them all virus-laden time-wasters and how am I going to get my Netflix Velma series now? :lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nooner posted:

But also lol 69

That's a fascist 69 so lol with caution

Pekinduck posted:

What would happen if I linked the Wikipedia page on the Bucha massacre? Is that allowed?

Link and warn of contents, but no inline.

Rules aren't hard.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tai posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1643107373446209536

Solo is being empowered by his imaginery friend

Imagine the irony of God choosing Russia to punish Russia.

The most liturgical "stop hitting yourself" since Job or something :lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Tigey posted:

What Soviet/Nazi pact of friendship do you speak of?

My history textbook says nothing of this? Just that the sweet, innocent USSR was minding its own business behind its historical borders and was attacked out of the blue.

The Chinese Ambassador to the EU's priority is furthering China's interests in its relations with the EU. He's going to say what he thinks needs to be said to do that, and if that means downplaying Sino-Russian relations, he will do so. I'm sure the Chinese Ambassador to Russia tailors his public messages for Russian audiences.

To be clear, I do think you are broadly right, I'd just warn against reading too much into this individual comment.

I read it as "China backed the wrong loving horse and only realized it when they got eyes on how dead Russia's prized stallions are." Also, words cost nothing, they're not a binding agreement or to be taken seriously, right?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Karate Bastard posted:

I would like to underscore that I have no association to imperialist aggression nor the deep state.

What about Imperialist Passive-aggression and the shallow state?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Strange to see Prigozhin being the sane one in the room, if only because he at least floated "can't we just say we won and go home?"

He's likely saying that because he finds himself closest to the window while Putin's in a pushy mood.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Possibly completely coincidental... Tonight I was driving across southern AZ and stopped at a rest area along I-8. Noticed a train coming so since I was stretching my legs I wandered over where I could watch it go by... Was surprised to see that it wasn't a typical freight train, rather it was all flatbeds carrying various military vehicles, including at least 28 Abrams (was dark and I may have missed some). Also on the train, a bunch of Humvee's, M113's, Bradley's, and some sort of self propelled artillery (Paladin's?). Also lots of support type vehicles.

Train was headed east.

Could be, the Sierra Army Depot is out that way, so is the Yuma Proving Ground, among others.

Midnight trains moving a company at a time is pretty standard fare for cross-country shipping, trains are still the most efficient way to do that. They also rotate with their own equipment, so it's also entirely possible it's a training exercise shipment.

Uncle Sam has so many goddamn tanks that you can see a whole battalion on rails and still not know the whos and wheres.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Russia's ad hoc technology has an incredibly strong "prison make-do" energy, and it's incredible at the cost and effort level, but that's like giving an A for effort when you're only grading based on results.

sebmojo posted:

Fyi I've asked Jeff to start word filtering this to "in legally actionable fact" so this trick might not work much longer

Legally Actionable Fact for Future Observation :laffo:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

:blyat:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ahhh, so Russia got their asses kicked and Ukraine broke through?

Russia has been known to claim destruction of things not present, so this victory of an offensive before the offensive arrives might be hopeful lying and not bog standard copium. :lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Hooray, but quit fuckin around and send the drat ATACMs.

I suspect the U.S. doen't want to send them for two reasons: 1) they're clearing out old stocks if the lesser stuff and keeping the top shelf goods for ~reasons~ and 2) they don't want ATACMS out in the open for other nations to observe/scavenge if the other stuff is "good enough".

Karma Comedian posted:

Hmu if y'all want cspam gifted avs blanked

IIRC the previous thread had the ruling of "if it's not some coded tankie hate speech or something equally egregious, it can stand" because the :decorum: sanctity of redtext avs must be preserved :decorum:

It's one thing to take a dick off a BwBD, quite another to give someone sonnenrads or wolfsangels.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

doomguy_at_the_dinner_table.gif but it's ATACMS!

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/DerAktenfresser/status/1669970899284443137?s=20

I'm not a weapons knower, but even I can tell that's not a Bradley.

Someone named it Bradley, it counts :lol:

Russian Blue Laws, but they're daily :psyduck:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Using your tanks as a VBIED is a sign of desperation, it's an incredibly wasteful use of them to hit a handful of troops in a trench

Possible it wasn't in a condition to operate with a crew, and doing double duty of VBIED and disposal to keep out of UA hands.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

the holy poopacy posted:

They've made a bunch of pro-Ukraine (or at least anti-Russia) posts itt, I think it's safe to assume it was a sarcastic commentary on Russian propaganda, a prominent topic in the past couple days.

Yeah, it's a comment on Russia considering the UAF entirely puppetmastered by the West and EU/America.

It might well be tongue-in-cheek satire about Russian copium, but Poe's Law sometimes meets Icarus distance, where the satire is taken as that which it satirizes.

A Poe's Icarus, if you will.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

Ukraine War: Russia caught with their Pantsir down

:lol::drat::lol:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Article 5 by the US in this situation would still require a vote from the other members to resolve the claim, wouldn't it?

Regardless of who has the best case to call Article 5, joint actions still need joint resolutions. If France, Germany, Poland, and Turkiye(!!) came out and said, "yeah, what Uncle Sam said" then we could take this unilateral blustering as more credible than Pootin's blustering.

And for substantive and credible action that's not bluster, you need only look at the latest military aid package. It's doing more than some feelgood bipartisan agreement.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the gently caress?!?

What insanity to wake up to

Imagine being the President of the United States of America and having some general wake your rear end up for a front seat newsroom live coverage of this. :lol:

What will your meal/snack be, Mr. President?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Photoshop: What's Putin drawing?

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

beer_war posted:

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1674734475517874181?s=20

An oddity: Russian forces using an Iskander missile to strike a military target instead of a shopping mall or an apartment building.

Antonovsky Bridge is a civilian structure, so it's not entirely over the bar of expectations.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

We need to freeze Ken Burns, so in 30 years we have a bunch of slow pans over NAFO memes and him explaining the Super Bonker 9000.

:hmmyes:

EasilyConfused posted:

I doubt that anything the Russians would do at ZNPP would be considered the same as launching a nuke. There's no "doctrine" about what to do about a radiological attack on a third-party that spills over into a NATO country.

The gravest nuclear threat via terrorism the U.S. realistically expected was a very dispersal-efficient dirty bomb. Sure you can clean up nuclear fallout over time like they did in Hiroshima, but dirty bombs require the same degree of cleanup with far less nuclear matter or structural damage. Add to that, certain dirty bomb materials become inhalant hazards and you have people getting ultra-bone cancer or something from ingested alpha emitter radiological dust, it's a slow death of various and widespread complications.

fatherboxx posted:

Has NATO or any of main members said anything yet on the current situation with the plant?

U.S. said something about considering a nuclear result from an attack on the plant would be considered an offense, but that might have been a nonbinding resolution or Biden going off the cuff, which carries much the same weight as saying "Article 4!"

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The roof seems like a weird place to plant explosives

You know Russia and their habit of sticking ERA on literally everything they want protected, even if it actually does the opposite. :rolleyes:

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

Russia is actually good at electronic warfare so they might be able to make countermeasures

Even if that point is conceded, with the reduction of labor, the across-the-board embargoes, and the demoralized troops getting all their materiel stolen/blown up, any practical countermeasures aren't really gonna happen.

Best they can do is sell the secrets to China for inventory, but that puts a valuable weapon in the hands of a capable neighbor. Hell, China might have acquired the details on it already.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

What's the deal with Nazis and painting?

I'd make a Venn Diagram to explain it, but that would make me either a painter or a nazi, and I'm not risking either, frankly.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

:discourse:

EasilyConfused posted:

IIRC the transport plane full of troops going down turned out to be a false report.

Also F-16s aren't exactly stealthy, so I'm not sure they're going to be able to do any significant force projection with them given the massive amounts of anti-air Russia has.

Russia's stock of anti-air munitions has limits, and attrition doctrine means that as long as Ukraine flies sorties over their own pilot-recoverable territory and aren't losing pilots, Russians will burn through their stock faster than it can restock, hastening the eventual air superiority.

Plus, Russia will have to man the AA stations and defend them, making them rather easy targets for mobile artillery strikes. All the manpower in the world doesn't solve a materiel issue.

fatherboxx posted:

russian BMP

Was that looted from the Ukrainian аниме store? Or from a private residence? No way that gets through standard soldier possession channels.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

god please help me posted:

That bridge got loving rekt, lmao.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mcvey posted:

I hope Putin gets gaddafi'd

Private Cumshoe posted:

I hope Putin gets Trotskied

I hope Putin's punishment is both novel and deserved to the point where people use it in the same fashion as these two examples.

Dwesa posted:

UA MoD warns that they will consider all RU ships in Black Sea as potential targets

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1682017975572766722

UA MoD sharpened their Tridents for some whale hunting?

EDIT: :engleft: I'm thinking Neptune missiles.

Philonius posted:

The arrival of a division of winged hussars will be widely recognized as the defining turning point of the war.

So When the Winged Hussars Arrive will need even more disambiguation?

Tigey posted:

Girkin's in a real pickle now

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > Ukraine War: Girkin's in a real pickle now

Mistle fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 22, 2023

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Toxic Mental posted:

But I heard there was a nazi in ukraine

Yeah, I can NOT SEE a working land bridge from Crimea to Russia :lol::laffo::lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1684296912533331969
Not sure how leaking this when Ukraine has told people to be quiet about the counteroffensive plans.

If it's underway, it's kinda pointless to say "any day now... " and pretend it's not happening but just saying it's underway in no way defines what's going to happen, only what happened so far, or what's plainly obvious with satellite imagery/forward observations.