Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
So this one is a question from me. Despite the Putin cameo, is this expected to have any impact on the war?

Second question, is this just 4 other countries basically agreeing with funding avoiding sanctions?

https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1641655197595213827?t=3mx9c2HSyh4ipXwlgSzdbQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Be aware the root source is sputnik.

Sounds like I need to be a bit more careful about sources, if this is just propaganda? Or just exceptionally Russian bias? Not that I should have expected less from Twitter not showing sources, apparently.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sputnik (online) and RT (TV) are the official arms of Russian state propaganda abroad. The piece doesn't seem to be carrying much more informational “value” than “we're strong, and we'll defeat the U.S. dollar”.

This is explicitly the narrative everywhere right now that I'm seeing. Echoed everywhere ftom American politics to crypto Twitter, so clearly all of the Russian propaganda is on force.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Drone fuel cant melt flagpoles

But it does - Putin is insanely paranoid and at the very least it is going to force even more AA and EW systems to be concentrated in Moscow instead of frontline

It's not exactly what I envisioned as far as drone strikes go. I thought at first this video would reference some serious Ukraine situation but it could have even been some anti war Russian.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Sekenr posted:

Twitter banned @Bellingcat from search

https://twitter.com/the_ins_ru/status/1656757080127074305?s=20

I just tried and indeed if you are not already subscribed it cant't be found

as an American I can find the profile, unless you mean the indexing of posts or they lifted it?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Nenonen posted:

There's going to be a few bottlenecks in delivering those 155000mm shells from factory to the front though.

They never leave the factory, the other end simply touches Moscow.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

Somewhat on that topic, I wonder what things are like in areas of the US that are heavily Russian and Ukrainian? Is there any noticeable tensions?
Thread moves fast, but...

My family background is Ukrainian & Polish, and I grew up around tons of Russian speaking people who came from everywhere from Serbia to Moldova to Moscow to Kazakhstan & Polish folks. Plenty from Belarus. I live in the Midwest US. We all played together growing up.

The TLDR of my entire community of people whom I know (easily in the thousands if I include Facebook), has been that almost every one of them has been supportive of Ukraine, universally. Including those who are native Russian speakers and everyone who isn't. These are even the same people that believe Russian/Trump propaganda&hate crimes, anti lgbtq or in groups trying to force religion into public schools, etc. It's explicitly aligned in support for Ukraine regardless.

That was at the start of the war though, and plenty still have Ukraine support Facebook profiles etc but don't post much about the war lately.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

then

this isn't how an administration trying to proactively manage a massive disaster reacts

2.5 meters?! we're gonna need a bigger boat!

Amazing for them to try to claim no big deal to that.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I saw this one pop up yesterday:

https://www.politico.eu/article/vladimir-putin-ukraine-war-russia-doesnt-have-enough-weapons-and-drones-putin-admits/

I had no idea if politico is reliable on this or not.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
This whole thing indeed shows that internally there's basically 0 protecting Moscow. So now where " we need force of a PMC to subdue moscow" I now wonder if it's implied that the situation has become more like "which oligarchy is going to bribe police force (as that's all there is in Moscow)!and take over"?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I found a real interesting read in https://www.emptywheel.net/2023/06/25/done-cookin-putins-chef-moves-to-belarus/ covering a completely different angle as to what may have happened with Wagner.

Don't think I've heard anyone talk about what happened in the Oblast they turned around at and some more about Lukashenko as well.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I had someone cite this today as an authoritative source on the status of Ukraine. Is mearshimer reliable?

https://mearsheimer.substack.com/p/the-darkness-ahead-where-the-ukraine

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Does anyone have a good link to some decent writing on why Seymour Hersh was also full of poo poo on Nordstream? I hate when people cite a conspiracy.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Thank you! That's what I was trying to find. Thanks to the other poster on mearshimer as well! Lots of misinformation/disinformation floating around, sadly.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Try operating on reality and a set of facts instead of pushing the narrative that has been discredited by observable events

if only the people I've come across had those capabilities. Now they're quoting kyiv independent, which isn't exactly strongly credible is it?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Enjoy posted:

I am entirely uncredentialed, I am basing that off the fact we heard similar claims for the other weapon systems which were actually used in roles they were suited for, and now we're hearing it about a weapon which is a stop-gap for when the conventional 155mm shells arrive

e: added quote

You've mentioned this twice. Is there some premise somewhere that cluster munitions are sent because of a shell shortage vs an additional tool appropriate for the situation?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ranbo das posted:

Give Ukraine the equivalent of anything that has been used against them. Give them F15/16/18s. Give them cluster munitions and ATACMS. Give them tanks and IFVs and rifles.

If Russia wants to use NBCs, give Ukraine the power to answer back in kind.

I've never actually had borscht but I really should try it, if there is anywhere in the Chicagoland area anyone recommends let me know.

Tryzub is an option, but I mean there are plenty of options. Probably better to ask the Chigoon thread. You can even get pickled beets by the jar and then make it at home easily, too.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Does anyone have updates outside of cluster munition discussion? This is getting a bit old.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
It sounds like drones have been showing as cheap and very effective in comparison at this point? For Ukraine at least.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Also, US sanctions against Russia are taking a bite, as ruble is now nosediving globally and even India won't settle in rubles anymore citing illiquidity: from back in May: https://thediplomat.com/2023/05/end-of-the-road-for-india-and-russias-rupee-ruble-trade/

Ruble more recently:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2023/08/14/russian-ruble-tumbles-past-100-against-dollar-heres-why-thats-significant/

Combined with military crippling, financial crippling is finally starting to really show up. China is also stuck. https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-central-bank-cuts-rates-second-time-three-months-support-economy-2023-08-15/ .

So we have potential support for Russia waning in a lot of ways, I would think?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

The Artificial Kid posted:

Just goes to show that in two and a half thousand years nobody will accurately remember the gay super soldiers of Ukraine. What a futile conflict.

Wait, this is actually new. He stopped calling them nazis? Now they're just gay zombies waging a jihad?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I don't know about Russia in specific, but in every country in the world if commercial buildings are being impacted by a hostile military force regardless of circumstances, I'm quite certain this is going to have a non-zero effect. Doing it many times is likely even moreso.

What effect on the population depends on, as noted, morale of each particular country. But to brush this off as nothing seems clueless to me.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Russia launched hundreds of deadly missile strikes and shahed swarms at Kyiv, Ukraine response - a dozen or so essentially pipebomb hits in total at night on office buildings in Moscow, I dont see how it could appear as a sizeable blowback to an ordinary citizen, especially in a world where terrorist attacks in capitals have been a regular thing.

Alright, I guess I misunderstood then. I would definitely agree on not being an equivalent show of force no question, but I guess I would have thought it was some kind of impact that these have started to occur (more than a single fluke)?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
War in Ukraine CE: Putin found a high enough window for Prigozhin

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

His life was sausage meat from beginning to end.

When you work in cratering, nobody wants to see how the kielbasa is made.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

daslog posted:

It also illustrates the point that Europe (just like the USA) will support Ukraine as long as it's convenient for them to do so. Actual sacrifice? Not going to happen.

I think you missed the point in other people's reply to you(cocaine bear), in that this statement is not helpful nor does it add to any concept of discussion. It's just a negative perspective.

Entire countries are not somehow solely supporting Ukraine because it's convenient to do so, nor doing the opposite with Russia. That's painting a pretty broad brush for the entire war/absurd reduction. Even at a base level there's political motivation and historical/genocidal concerns before we get to everything in the entire thread.

I'm surprised lng import from bad sources is showing that high vs historic usage but it's dishonest anyway. https://www.bruegel.org/dataset/european-natural-gas-imports shows that 2023 is steady but extremely below prior years - like 3-6x less. So it's not 0 but that's not realistic for now anyway.

That's like saying "Russia is now declared terrorists by the usa why haven't usd flows to Russia gone to 0?"

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ethanol posted:

i know you all mean low cost attritional drones but it is amusing to read this in the context of the us having been floating predators and otherwise around for the better of the last 20 years

This specifically speaks for the US experience *with* using drones and how that clearly some of that knowledge has been shared with Ukraine.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Orthanc6 posted:

Much closer footage of the damage to Minsk in drydock:

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1702363501744783744?s=20

Superstructure is pretty melty, looks like the main hull is fine but who knows how bad the internal damage is. Either way this thing might as well be eternal drydock buddies with the Kuznetsov, Crimea could be returned to Ukraine before this thing is fixed from this strike.

Did they sink Russia's Blyattleship?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Surely alongside "the next six months are crucial" making Friedman a running joke in global events, if you want to imply someone is an utter idiot about current events, say they remind you of Mearsheimer.

Perfect. I mean countries wanting to survive and not be made victims of a near-peer war the next country over? How dare they! :greta: (intentionally not an emoji)

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
The idea that Russia would emulate North Korea is indeed a possibility>0%, but the land size makes an enormous difference on how that would even theoretically play out. I'd not consider it all too likely. It's more like "They have nobody else who will buy what they're selling"

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 19, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I'd be curious what kind of effectiveness of any amount of additional war budget is going to do for Russia when their technology isn't appearing to be very effective

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Owling Howl posted:

I'm pretty sure we're witnessing the transition to robot warfare. I suppose they're drones as long as someone is controlling them but the leap from controlled suicide drones to autonomous suicide drones is really not very big.

I would suspect it is a very significant leap. Have you seen how lovely autonomous driving is?

I very much would think that the reason they're controlled is primarily a: budget and b: quality of control/guarantee of actions.

If Russia wasn't good at jamming signals I expect we'd see 10x the drones all being piloted from much further away and more complicated drone coordination.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Proof that Putin only needed a small number of GOP in his pocket

He already has all of their leadership in his pocket. But they will only take calculated risks, as Ukraine support *was* very popular. If people rally support again, GOP will pay the price (as will democrats who waned)

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 30, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Oof. I, raised Jewish, don't even know that much about the details of the Soviet side but got lucky that my families from Poland and Russia somehow avoided the tragedies of WW22 (apparently they hosed off to Argentina and America, some after WW1). However, I don't know poo poo about anything outside of basic mainstream Holocaust knowledge.

Is there a thread or any other recommended reading in addition to the book cited to learn a bit more and understand just wtf happened in WW2 from the Holocaust perspective? So that I, the ignorant American, can gain perspective? PM is fine. All I ever heard growing up was the 6 million jews and saw yad vashem, but I clearly never learned about 90% of the rest.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

Current events =/= 1934-1945

War in Ukraine CE: Current events =/= 1934-1945

thread does seem quiet on new (current) content after the Ukraine progress update, is anything else notable?

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 2, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

small butter posted:

I'm reading up on the Minsk-2 agreement from 2015... and am I reading this right? Russia and Ukraine were two of the signing parties, then the rebel Republic's leaders were added later, and Russia then claimed not to be a "party" to the agreement because they were still pretending that they were not participants in the war? In what world could it ever have been legitimate?

Yep, welcome to the "how the gently caress can anyone honestly recommend Ukraine to even consider negotiating with Russia?" situation.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Maybe ammo explosion. The entire turret blew up. I don't think Russian tanks in this war are known as being particularly sturdy? Edit: beaten.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Is that some sort of balance for quick deployment vs safety or just Russia being lazy/oblivious?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
JFC , take the slap fight to PM's or start hate fuckin each other already.

Separate from all that discussion which went from interesting to pedantic, have there been other war updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Another difficulty has been Russia's willingness to absolutely trash the hell out of Ukrainian land with excessive amounts of mines. Which if Russia were keeping land would make it pretty strongly hostile if not uninhabitable even if Ukraine fully repels Russia to take land back.