Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Here's the story of the crazy Lilith,
Who really hated her crazy demon Dad.
So she decided to go, on her lonesome,
And maybe find a chad.

Here's the story, of the crazy Inarius,
Who was sick of fighting Demons all the time.
He had a friend, but didn't trust him,
So he went and did some crimes.

Till the one day when this Devil met this Angel,
And they made some kids who caused lots of mayhem.
No-one knew if, Inarius had a penis,
It don't matter cause they're called The Nephalem!

The Nephalem~~
The Nephalem~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

im so excited to know i was a part of this with you idiots

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
I can load it up~

splurt my load early, no queue

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Holy poo poo I'm actually playing D4 live

doesn't feel right

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

rap music posted:

drat gently caress this actually owns

gently caress off, i read the other thread, you don't know what you're talking about

p.s. to equip a backpack wolf puppy
Wardrobe -> Items tab -> Back Trophy

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

thats not candy posted:

counterpoint, inventory management and identifying poo poo was awful and provided me with negative dopamine

Agreed, if playing tetris is a highlight, maybe you need to look at the actual gameplay and think "why is fixing my inventory more fun"

auto-identifying poo poo is just removing 3 clicks from D3 (tp -> run to book of cain -> click), or a million clicks for d2 (why would you want this again)

its a new decade, a new diablo game, embrace progress

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
For all it's prettyness, whoever designed the Skill window really does need to be shot.

- Nice art that will never get seen unless you purposefully scroll to the top/bottom? check
- 80% empty space, but still requires endless click+drag-scrolling? check
- no cursor-to-edge-of-screen to move? check
- doesn't remember your previous position or zoom levels? check
- actual dead areas outside of art (full screen) which serves literally no purpose? check
- can't search by custom keyword, can only select by Blizzard's tags (hope you know mechanics!)? check

I know it's a big tall skill tree with lots of choices, but gently caress me just some basic UI/UX polish would have helped so much

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Propaganda Hour posted:

Well, it was definitely the last item he dropped

already a goldmine thread imo

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
After fully exploring two sub-zones, game would not let me traverse into new zone / teleport home.
Had to actually *log out* and *download a patch* - lost 5 minutes of actual in-game time.

I swear to god Blizz, this is loving pathetic, YOU CAN'T KEEP GOING ON LIKE THIS

(first actual issue so far, this is a pretty good launch for a AAA always-online game)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Is there no in-game barber, ala WoW? Am I stuck with my chosen face/skin/eye/hair, and can only change my makeup/jewelery/markings+colour?

After the years and years of struggle we went through to get it (fully) implemented in WoW? Please don't tell me it's a game shop thing, coming soon (tm).

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

SettingSun posted:

Check the other tab in the wardrobe my fellow hellslayer.

I'm sorry, I still can't see anything for hair/skin/face type :smith:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Took my guildie's advice, went down to World Tier 1, and the game became even more fun

I was lvl 50, geared enough, and was using all the right aspects/builds/etc - but while I was never in danger, I never felt dangerous.

Now I am the danger.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
I just saw the cinematic in Act VI (no spoilers, just my reaction)

It's been a long time where I've gone "wow" in a positive way, but holy gently caress, just loving wow

Blizzard cinematic team, that was loving amazing

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Campaign story (obviously, spoilers)

Where is our boy Tyrael? Was he the one who freed Inarius from Hell? I can't imagine Inarius just breaking free after all this time

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Zelmel posted:

Lore-wise I'm slightly baffled that the random peasants don't bat an eye at you casting town portals everywhere. You'd think they would associate that with demons and witches and poo poo.

I mean, there's a big rear end stone platform in the middle of nearly all towns in the entire world, where people just pop in and out like a train station. Having your own portal just means you're part of the privileged elite.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Drowning Rabbit posted:

It's intense, I'll give you that ;)

My crowing highlight in HC was dying to a treasure chest trap in D2 a5 normal difficulty at lvl 35 on my Barb

Decided that maybe it's not for me

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Kin33 posted:

I just realized Lorath gotta feel really dumb for selling his soul/head to a tree to find out where Lilith was when Inarius' church already knew and had a huge rear end army marching there.

I think he wanted find out where the Hellgate was and kill/trap Lilith first, before Inarius could be the world's most selfish prick all over again.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Astryl posted:

how long til girl Marius fucks everything up for us?

If I was a betting man (I'm not), she's either gone to Skovos to grab something important from the Amazons (because we need those transmog microtransactions for a big titty/thigh class), or she's gone to the Dreadlands / Arreat Crater to find the essence of Baal and some new soulstones, and unlock some Demon Hunters (because we need those transmog microtransactions for a dominatrix/foot fetish class).

comedy option: back to heaven to really piss off Imperius

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Astryl posted:

I noticed these two bridges and almost immediately thought the same thing.

I mean, if we need a reason to go searching in the jungle, finding Akarat is a good start!

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Definitely Ice Shards, but only when you're comfortable with gear (i.e. you can manage your mana and not find yourself empty and surrounded)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Arsonide posted:

I've got some lore questions (spoilers from the second half of the game).

What is Hawezar? What's going on with the serpent? It is heavily implied that Hawezar / the swamp is "not of Sanctuary". It's some alien thing. Go look at maps of Sanctuary, it doesn't say "Hawezar", it says "Swamp Lands". Where did it come from? What is it? The witches seem to know but never tell you.

My theory is that it's not angelic or demonic, it's a neutral entity in the Eternal Conflict. Possibly from Pandemonium (since we have not seen anything of that yet). If that were true there might be a third faction?

What is the Tree of Whispers? Why is a tree communicating with me? Why am I bounty hunting for it?

Hawezar, the Swamplands, all of the serpent stuff - related to Trag'Oul (great serpent of Balance), who wants to maintain a balance of Life/Death and keep Sanctuary out of the Eternal Conflict between Heaven/Hell (who both gently caress up the Balance, just by being there).

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Vulpes posted:

The UX on these dialogs could have used another pass. I love the one that says something like 'queued for game start game pending'. Good english, guys.

Yea, it really needs some more polish. Especially when you look at WoW / D3, there's so many little things that are so obvious to put in, but missed the cut because of...immersion? time? world building?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Jinnigan posted:

question about act 5 story

can someone explain to me why in act 5 we had to go huff incense and all that
i followed as far as "reforge the soulstone to trap lilith in it, guy needs moral support" but got lost after that

Act3 Secret Agent Witch (who was getting tatto'ed by Elias, was going to host to Andariel) tell us to go into the magical swamp and find the Tree of Whispers (ToW)
Huff incense, find the ToW by following a big snake (related to Trag'Oul / Rathma)
ToW tells us that it told Elias how to summon Lilith - it expects payment for this knowledge by having Elias die + his head hung on it's branches
Turns out Elias isn't an idiot, and turned himself into a semi-immortal Lich-thing by storing his finger in Rathma's temple (underwater coffin zone) - a very good idea when dealing with ancient, pissy demons.
ToW is pissed at this, so we'll do it a favour - we'll kill Elias for it, and put his head on the ToW; and in turn, the ToW will get all of Elias' knowledge, including where Lilith is going to open the Hellgate
We finally kill Elias for real, and Lorath asks the ToW for the Hellgate location (Caldeum); even though it means his head will be on the tree when he dies (Donan was pretty pissed at Lorath being a hero)

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 8, 2023

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

"Trust me, those blood petals are all out of my system. I am totally a Good adventurer."

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Ceramics posted:

This game is far from perfect but I'm genuinely impressed that the campaign was so enjoyable that I'm just doing that again on my first alt rather then adventure mode dungeon grinding poo poo

I was actually thinking the same thing - with big bonuses from renown + my demon Epona horse, experiencing it again wouldn't be *that* bad, and could be fun!

When you compare that to the idea of replaying D3's campaign...

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

So people have been speculating that Blizzard removed Shako and Grandfather from the game because no one has gotten them to drop but

https://twitter.com/AZJackson85/status/1667270064545103872

I guess there is a whole class of ultra rare Uniques that serve as chase items. doesn't sound like i'll ever get my hands on one of these

People are bitching about things that don't drop in a week!?!

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Astryl posted:

Do you think they'll add oskills like in Diablo 2? Would give us a lot of cool combinations for builds.

Though they'd have to ease up on the "every weapon type is for specific classes" mantra that they've apparently doubled down on (bad choice imo).

I mean, I'd love it (even if it comes in an xpac), but I just want more skills slots right now for my own skills. I've got like 3 extra abilities from gear, and even though they're not part of my build set, it would be nice to actually use them for....fun :smith:

(and give us loadouts you fucks, if you can cobble it together in 19 year old WoW, you can do it here)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Mustached Demon posted:

It'd have a good shot at goty if it wasn't already locked down as hard as Elden Ring locked down last year for sure.

D4's a good game and has potential to carry Diablo onward another decade.

I mean, can you imagine if it's NOT Tears of the Kingdom?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Fangthane posted:

I watched this video on the subject a while ago, then rewatched it when I got curious. I don't know how authentic it is, but it's neat story telling anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5y75udepac

Edit: Regarding the D1 characters, I understand the wanderer was canonically the warrior. The rogue was corrupted by Andariel and became Blood Raven, the act 1 lady you kill for Akara. The sorcerer became the Summoner, the guy you kill in Act 2 to learn where Tal Rasha's tomb is.

Warrior is definitely the Dark Wanderer from D2, but his back story was changed to be King Leoric's son (not that it really mattered after killing your little brother + shoving a soulstone in your forehead)
There's some confusion/leeway about the Sorcerer in D2 act 2 - was it Horazon possessing the body of the Sorcerer after he found his tomb, or did the Sorcerer finally go bat poo poo insane and pretend to be a demon-summoning ghost

Schwawa posted:

I have a vague memory that the male PC barbarian in D3 was supposed to be the same one from D2.

This was going to happen in D3, but they rolled it back after realising it kinda hosed up a bunch of timelines. I think the D3 Baba was in Arreat, but not the actual Baba who whirlwind'd Baal in D2.
Some heroes from D2 show up in D3/RoS, in a way - Cassia. Isendra. Xul (spoilers if you haven't played all of D3/RoS yet, go play it at least once)

Gadzuko posted:

I always assumed from the in-game text that we (the protagonist) were one of several/many nephalem who arise together in d3. I have no idea what the official story was. Canonically what happened to the d2 protagonist(s)? Was there just one?

D3+RoS happened 50 years ago, so we're not one of THE NEPHALEM from D3 (god that word just sounds so stupid). Are we an actual Nephalem? Are we quarter Nephalem cause our Mum regained Nephalem powers but Dad was just a farmer before we got shipped off to Sorc School? Are we super special because our village was wiped out by a falling shard of the Worldstone but we survived and it infused us with (oh god make it stop)

Johanna, the Crusader from RoS, shows up...sorta...in D4. Check out https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Johanna and some "best guesses for other D3 classes" at the bottom

quote:

Someone / something about Tyrael??

We got 1 sentence about him. 1000% going to be in a xpac when we fight Imperius, or shows up in a seasonal event so we can buy pretty Angel themed gear

KajiTheMelonMan fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 14, 2023

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
I can understand them loving up on "what feels good for XP gains vs people not maxing out too fast" (I guess), but not having a teleport to a NM dungeon from day 1 was such a poor decision. Travelling the world (even with waypoints) just to get somewhere feels like such a chore - this really does seem like something that could have been picked up during closed beta testing.

I guess it's good they're listening though.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

E2M2 posted:

Just finished campaign and at 52 right now. What do I do? Just do the whispering tree stuff? Do all the side quests and altars?

Make sure you unlock WT3, then events/tree/world boss/etc until you're high enough to be comfortable to try and unlock WT4

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Thread - Diablo IV season 1: Malignant Fart

(thank god for no more vuln stack)

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

ok I don't want to bring any negativity into the usually positive and fun D4 thread but this patch refuses to download above 1 MB/s and I'm ropeable. I had to check to make sure I didn't throttle my download speeds for the blizzard client or something

I had the same problem, I have no idea what is happening

is it because we're in australia

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
excellent title change

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

satanic splash-back posted:

I play games because I find them fun; I recommend that approach

you represent all that is wrong with the world

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Blizz accountants: "Sooooo...you're saying that there was only ONE expansion for D3 in 2014, only ONE DLC in 2017, and you fuckers gave out FREE seasonal content with NO premium battle passes for nearly a loving DECADE?!?!?! AND NO BARELY loving MONEY MAKING WARDROBES!?

Devs: "Well, we prefer to see our playe-"

Accountants: "shut the gently caress up, you're going to be making up for this"

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

George H.W. oval office posted:

We're in the post nut clarity phase of a video game release

:psyboom:

well deserving thread title

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

exquisite tea posted:

That's the literal home of the Paladins in D2.

With some interesting implications; Kurast is a shithole that's still hosed from Mephisto's corruption in D2.

Is there a new order rising up? Someone coming in to clean up?

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I just beat the campaign for the first time! That was super fun! Three things

Question 1: Regarding the campaign plot ending/epilogue wtf is Neyrelle doing and why? I was expecting a classic "lol Neyrelle was a villain the whole time" plot twist when it is revealed she leaves with the soulstone but what actually happens seems to make less sense? I know the meta reason for Neyrelle's actions is so that there is a plot for the Mephisto expansion. But what is the in-game justification for her actions?

Question 2: Why the heck did Lorath go 0 to 60 with killing Iosef outside of the desert chapel? Yeah the cathedral had orders to arrest us, but drat Lorath escalated quick

1 - a combination of "room for expansions" + "oh gently caress we forgot about anything that didn't have Lilith". In-game it's very vague, with the handwave of ~~**SOULSTONES**~~

2 - Lorath is a very angry man who has gained the taste for blood. That and probably some PTSD from being in the Horadrim most of his life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
I mean, Mr Wolf is also by your side, helping out when needed.

Until he's not