Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

Players just want the opportunity to see the monsters from equal distance as the monsters see and attack them. The light radius mechanic is not in the game so how absurd is it that monsters can attack players from miles and miles away but players only see and interact with objects in a few yard radius
Trying to keep track of what is happening outside your visible area and how the map looks is one of the few skill elements remaining in this game. Do people basically just want Cookie Clicker?

It's like saying you want all FPS'es to turn field of view up to 360 degrees because you just want to see what's happening behind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

CharlestonJew posted:

Getting 360 noscoped by a corpse bow from offscreen feels bad
May I recommend Ninja Gaiden 1 on Xbox. Visions of *being surrounded by 10 explosive-kunai-throwing ninja and developing a continuous-dodging-and-iframes offensive style that dodges perpendicular to the ninjas you can't currently see to avoid the kunai's you have no chance of seeing coming*. What I'm saying is: git gud. What i'm also saying is: a zoomout makes the game a whole ton easier and things offscreen not being allowed to hurt you would be dumb and boring.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Just dropped in on this thread. Could someone summarize the current status? Is the game bad and dying? Are player counts tanking? Not sure what is going on I had fun clicking some enemies and watching them go boom, now suddenly this place is all doom n gloom.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Well last time I checked was like 3 months ago and then the main talk was about wow the story is actually decent and will the overpower/vulnerable nerfs be a good idea.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Mr. Pickles posted:

Hell is where you hit the wall and you have to find stuff to make your character stronger.
See this is what I miss in D4. Things rarely get hard enough that you need to rethink your build or find better gear, and when you do there are basically one or two viable builds per character and gathering gear feels less like hunting for good stuff and more like It’s Spreadsheet Time.

D2 had the Duriel match which was a total reality check brickwall, and hell was overwhelming as well at first, but with D4 I never felt anything like that.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 6, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Does anyone actually struggle through D2 anymore? Even if you're playing hardcore solo, D2 has been a solved game for like 20 years. There is a set pathway through some very powerful early game runewords that will completely carry you through to Hell difficulty, and as long as you're willing to burn a respec and know how immunities work, then Hell is pretty drat easy, too. D2 has not been anything resembling a challenge to me since I was an idiot teenager in 2003, whereas now I am slightly less of an idiot who knows how to run normal cows until I find a runeword base for Spirit.
I, for one, do not read minmaxxed strategies from fan wikis or spend hours watching speedruns or whatever, so yes, I sweat a bit playing D2 sometimes and probably take the dumb bonehead casual softcore path running bad diaper gear for babies and possibly the worst skills.

What I like about D2 is:
- Actually dying quite a bit
- Needing to think a bit about my build and being able to make really bad build choices that take planning to fix
- It feels like things get harder, not just all the numbers are going up, and levelling up feels line it makes more of a difference (things dont all autoscale by player level i think) as does better gear choices.
- Revisiting previously hard areas after 20 more levels and melting eveything is fun!!
- Enemies in general are just scarier and harder to run from.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 9, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

What the gently caress is going on here?

I understand the ”Barf Damage caps at 66%” concept just fine, but, 150% is also 50%, 20% is also 200%, and with their powers combined I am captain 80%? What?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

You know what, I like Elden Ring and Lies of loving P, where there is a number and it goes up and it does the thing it says on the box, and you can check the stat screen to see the exact damage reduction, and also in LoP some weapons have a crit %. Like, never ever did I have to double-take what a stat does, or do brain excel sheets to figure out which thing is better. And in those games, I felt a lot clearer what decisions I am making and it was fun to find new gear combos for certain challenges.

I also like D2, where you got gear and it had numbers and the numbers did the things.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 11, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do I actually have to know this poo poo for any reason? I understand why we are deep-diving to see how an all-else-equal Season 1 and Season 2 build would compare, but like.. isn't the actual in-game outcome that it's a lot simpler?

Well you can for sure just equip some things and click some demons, but eventually you might wonder why your build is over/under-performing or how some other player did so much damage, and to find out you’ll need to go down this caps-n-buckets rabbit hole. I sure hope this is explained clearly in game, otherwise have fun asking on discord and scouring fan wikis for answers.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 11, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/1712861150533095693/video/1

1000*40% = 1040 ????

40% of 1000 is 400 so where the gently caress did 1040 come from

Imagine accidentally hitting + instead of * on your calculator and doing zero sanity checks before dunking the number in the trailer.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

As a Dad Gamer, I'm glad they delayed it because some of us WORK FOR A LIVING and I'm tired of being penalized for having a job and I'm tired of people touching the drat thermostat.

Put on a sweater. Layers are free, electricity is not.

Actually unless your grandma knits, each layer costs about $5-10 per month in wear and tear.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

harrygomm posted:

is this a battle pass joke i’m too dumb to understand or do people really destroy sweaters in under a decade?

have you heard of 'fast fashion' which is like the only thing available nowadays

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

haha, bloody perfect, best laugh of today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkdRKlX1Vz0

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zeg posted:

I made a sorc. It's very whelming at the moment. At least my blizzard sets everything on fire.

I miss druid. Best first class to experience the game with, but totally ruined every other class :[
Kind of agree, went from zipping around the mob pile doing ninja tricks and power rangers transformations with my druid, to picking barb and like… standing still and hitting a thing a sword and sometimes shouting loudly.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

euphronius posted:

The new horse is good. Just make you wonder about why they did such a huge overworld at all.
This was my question as well. There are so many named and often cool areas to visit but like... why would I? Only dungeons have useful stuff and doing them once is enough, and after I find all the STATues, there is no reason to go back, drops are the same everywhere, enemies autoscale everywhere so there are never any areas I had a hard time with to revisit. Etc. This is something Soulliesborne games do a lot better.

The main quest does a good job of taking you through the world in a fun progression. But there is no NG+ here you just bump world tier and grind more dungeons.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I like conditionals like ”Rend does more damage if casting transformed you into a werewolf” because it makes my big chunky murder button even chunkier if I pretend i’m a transformer toy. I can reduce the conditionals and buffs into a playstyle, like ”i dont remember all this poo poo but I know if I switch between bear rush and werewolf slashes all the time I do a shitload of numbers”.

It’s when the affixes do a varying set of barely noticeable minor buffs all over the place that the system falls apart. There are no visual indicators of all this poo poo, damage is slightly random anyway so I can’t even notice the minor buffs triggering, and since I can’t even remember them anyway they might as well just not exist and I can just pick highest base damage/armor instead who cares.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Also id be down for doing season 2 but levelling can go gently caress itself, does anyone have a good guide of how to level fast?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Partied up with a pal and did vamp stamp stuff. Game fun, season good, well done blizz

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

As someone who dropped off Season 1 hard after 3 hours, and have spent the last days having an absolute blast in D4 again, just hanging around in the VampTides and partying up with randoms for random dungeons, I very much approve of that message.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Me: Vamp Skills are crazy busted, health regens every time I blink and all kinds of poo poo patching all the weaknesses in my build

Also me: Soloing WT4 capstone dungeon at lvl54, dying for 30th time

What i’m saying is you make your own adventures in life

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

American McGay posted:

None of the vamp powers have really hooked me so far. Most of them are level 3 already because I’ve been living in the blood harvest but nothing feels crazy OP. Trying my usual caster Druid and seeing if I can make it work. Bathe in Blood seems to be my main workhorse but other than that not seeing what would help. Tried the barrier when you stand still one and it just takes too long to proc. And Pox seems kinda pointless because if I’m dealing damage 8 times before an enemy dies I’ve got bigger problems.
The health regen Vamp Stamps plug a big hole in my upheaval overpower barb, i can spend less ability points and gears on survival and put them on damage instead.

I am having a lot of fun running the 8-weapon-swap overpower affix with upheaval, leap, 2 shouts and 2 basic skills to alternate to trigger the overpower fast. Without the vamp powers I think I would be dying a lot more to mobs.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think BL means Ball Lightning?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Tokubetsu posted:

Kinda encourages you to just play and every once in awhile dump xp. I don't find it that obnoxious tbh. I get not being able to just level what you want but theres worst ways they coulda padded this out (malignant drop rates)
That's not the issue, the issue is every time you want to upgrade you need to: click the Upgrade button, mouse over all the 3 Vamp Stamps to remember what they do, click your Vamp Stamp, click the Assign XP button, wait for the obnoxiously slow notification in the top right to animate, then click Close, repeat. Oh and also each button is on a different location on the screen so you need to carefully move your cursor each time. Takes about 5-8 seconds per upgrade, multiply that with 50-100 upgrades after two hours of doing vamp tides and it's the you-gonna-have-a-bad-time South Park meme. Even assigning skill and paragon points is a much more painless process than the vampstamp UI.

Compare that to the upgrading gear UI which is just click the button five times and shows me upfront all the stats and requirements so I can parse it all on 0.5s.

I would love the UI to just be one click per upgrade: Show the three Vamp Stamps, click the one you want to upgrade, let me do 3-4 per second. Also show me the description texts right away so I don't need to mouse over each of them.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 25, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yet somehow, the Vamp Stamp Boost UI is still better than the Paragon Glyph upgrading experience.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Cant wait to find all altars and do helltides and vamp tides so i can get stats and blood and souls so i can get levels and items so i can salvage them for materials so i can upgrade my gear so i can farm nmds so i can upgrade my paragon glyphs so i can respec my build so i can farm uniques faster so i can reach WT4 so i can get ancestrals so i can farm uber bosses faster so i can get unique ancestrals so i can do lvl60 nmds so i can upgrade my glyphs faster so i can

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 25, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I’m enjoying it though (so far, still have other worthwhile things to do than nmds)

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Diablo IV SEASON 2: Killed hell, got some pants

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

bamhand posted:

What's wrong with NMD? It's the only content where stuff has enough HP to make the combat satisfying. It's way better than any open world content at least.

Where do you rather want to be:
- Handcrafted open world, millions of poo poo to do, dots everywhere on the map, people summoning bosses and firing nukes everywhere, and partying up randomly to get more hell/vamptide stuff and have fun, and coming away from it with whispers, season xp, vampstamp xp, etc then jump straight to the next one
- Alone, in a cold, damp, dark, repetetive AI dungeon, thats half an hour long, occasionally backtracking through empty corridors, where all the drops except maybe the endboss are poo poo, and getting reward with like half a level on a glyph.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The problem with open world challenges being ”too easy / not enough xp / no glyph points” are just balancing choises. Increase monster stats in helltides and season tides for high levels by a lot, make one of the tide quests give you glyph xp, and boom you’ve given the player base something fun to do on high levels. Sure NMDs could still be faster for pure leveling, but personally I would rather have fun for 10 hours than be bored for 5.

Hell maybe even let people bloodmark themselves in helltides so now I can do all the fun things at once in the same place. Hire me blizzard

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Who creams their pants over "+6.9% more damage to Injured Enemies," compared to "+2 to All Skills" or "+20% Faster Cast Rate" or you know things that most human beings can actually visually quantify and enjoy.
THIS SO HARD.

I got a good item which was like
+19.8% Damage to Injured Enemies
+22.4% Damage to Close Enemies
+21.1% Damage to Healthy Enemies

I was just nonplussed. How am I even gonna remember all that? Is it good? Idk? How close is close? Man idk i guess its good? Maybe?

Later suddenly I dropped a thing that had just:
4.5% faster skill cooldowns

And went gently caress YES!! That’s good! I want that! I need that!
And when I equipped it I could tell the difference instantly.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

The bigger changes:

- Training dummy
OH MY GOD YES!!! Finally a way to easily see what difference my choices make.

- Improved the vampiric powers UI.
I hope they removed four clicks and one wait from the five-clicks-and-one-wait vampstamp upgrade UI.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

This is Lvl67 Krossen. He loves to Guaranteed Weapon-Switch Overpower Upheaval so much he is running two basic skills and increased attack speed so he can trigger one every 3 seconds. His favourite pastime is atomizing dungeon bosses in one hit, but it always makes his fur coat red and he doesn't like that. Krossen wrote a little letter for you saying he really loves Season 2 and is having very much fun.

EDIT: vvv lol vvv

Bisse fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 28, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Add sockets to your rings and amulet and fill them with all-resist gems. Reroll stats you don’t need on them to get more resists. Also max health helps. Armor is great but only covers physical damage so don’t boost that more for now. Also some gear has pure ”6.9% reduced damage” which I believe helps at these levels. Finally for NMDs make sure to equip resist gems for the dungeon’s damage type.

Becoming non-squishy is like breaking your limiter, especially if your build has selfheal. You see little difference at first and suddenly something gets over some magical statistical treshold and now suddenly you’re tanking poo poo no problem that used to kill you by blinking at you.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 29, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

an iksar marauder posted:

how does barb suck to level, you go fast and you just spam death blow?

I’m running a very similar build and the problem is basically taking care of stragglers in a large mob. Ball sorc can hit a button and wipe out the entire screen of minor dudes. As a barb though I can oneshot the center of the mob, but then all my poo poo is on cooldown and it takes a few hits to trigger the overpower, and until then I am doing poo poo single target damage only. So if I don’t aim my big 1bil dmg shot right to clear the whole mob, i must spend 4 seconds basically plonking dudes with pillows.

That slows levelling down a lot, by making dungeon clearing slower, ’clear all monsters fast’ events harder, etc.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Who is the freckled little freak who decided helltides should have hours of downtime in between them?

Also WTF do I actually do in helltides? I don’t see any whispers to do, all the tortured gifts are boring and suck poo poo, the events are just the same old overworld events. I feel like i’m just running around aimlessly killing whatever pops up. Is that really all there is too it?

I get whiplash damage every time I go from superawesomefun vamptides to these hell-snores. I hope i’m doing something wrong cause these things suck really hard so far.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Tarnop posted:

vampire boss summoning event for just massive volume of loot if you have the lures for it.
Just raising this a bit in case anyone had missed it. What you do is gather 2-3 people at the summon pedestals to kill things fast so you can stoke the fire quickly. What happens is the game throws everything it’s got at you for several minutes, you’re standing in the middle of a blender and meat is coming in from every direction, after that there is a neverending parade of elites. I go into the thing with empty inventory and usually have to leave a few rares on the ground because i’m full, I also get a Unique drop about every other time at lvl76. It is the best thing in any Diablo game ever, don’t miss out.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Re: game too easy, IDK yet about a maxed out lvl100 char, but it seems like you choose the difficulty yourself based on which level of NMDs you run and when you tackle certain dungeons? I tackled the Elias capstone dungeon at lvl55 which was doable but very, very hard and I had to respec my whole build. Currently I can sorta breeze through NMD32 but NMD40+ would probably be hard.

Outside of that, yes the game is very easy at lvl70+, but I honestly am having mountains of fun just mowing down mobs and watching my damage numbers push through the stratosphere. I deeply enjoy FromSoft two phase bosses that oneshot you, but apparently I also shamelessly enjoy killing 10k enemies/h and making numbers go big.

Also Hardcore exists, but i’m worried of dying to a lag spike, otherwise I would give it a shot.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 30, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

There is a season challenge to get a glyph to lvl21 iirc

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I miss multiple level dungeons! Just going in and your goal is to find the stairs down to level 4. One of the campaign dungeons is like that and it rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shard posted:

And jesus christ gently caress Inarius - dude killed his own kid because his homies ghosted him.
Yeah it seems their goal was to write the worst most self-righteous angel imaginable and by god they succeeded.

My favourite D4 story moment is near the end when the gates of hell flood open and all the plans are foiled and everyone is dying and no hope remains, your ultra-stoic character just straightens his/her back and goes "Let me take care of it".

Bisse fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 31, 2023