Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favourite hosed up lil' guy in games?
This poll is closed.
Waluigi 36 29.27%
Waddle Dee 34 27.64%
Gollum 7 5.69%
Sonic 13 10.57%
freaky cartwheeling grey-skinned frog men from elden ring 28 22.76%
vectorman worm things that sometimes explode 5 4.07%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's not really game related but imma go see Randy Feltface in person this month, p hyped ngl.

Also a new Gunfire Reborn DLC just dropped. One of the new characters literally gets Macross/Megas XLR all the missiles build, and one of the new weapons is a literal brick. Such a good game imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hwurmp posted:

June is Bad Takes Month

All games I like are amazing games.

All games I don't like are terrible.

Fighting games suck universally, this is objective fact.

Only one of these statements is a bad take.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I know exactly how replies to that post are going to go.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hwurmp posted:

it's this one, now give me the treasure

Incorrect, if that were true all my statements wouldn't be bad takes and we all know fighting games are literally the worst.

ymgve posted:

it's this one, we all know goons like to hate-play bad games

also addendum: you are not allowed to have an opinion on The Witness unless you have finished The Challenge

Also incorrect, sorry

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I am practically incapable of deciphering visual puzzles.

Relatedly I really enjoyed Paper Mario: Origami King right up until the final boss at which point I got extremely frustrated.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Okay, fighting games aren't totally worthless. Also SFM TF2 stuff continues to be the gift that keeps on giving

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Rinkles posted:

not to get ahead of myself, but how long before you start seeing some armor variety in mohun?

Variety in terms of what, skills or how they look? because generally it'll be High Rank when you start seeing actually cohesive sets for skill builds as well as visual variety, and Master Rank is where they really take off to the next level.

edit: slow posting is my forte. To answer your follow up question, if you want full sets you'll need to farm a specific monster for a number of hunts, the number of which is dictated by if you need a particular rare monster part and how kind RNG is being.

That said, I wouldn't recommend grinding for any Low Rank sets. They'll get instantly out scaled once you hit High Rank, and High Rank is out scaled by Master Rank if you own Sunbreak.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 4, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Khanstant posted:

if you're talking about the players who murder the animals in those games, I don't think you should name your franchise after the activities of the lowlife degenerates who you aren't legally allowed to prohibit from playing

I mean do you want the actual setting of the games that explains why you're hunting the monsters? Cause it's actually pretty interesting.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Larryb posted:

To be honest my only exposure to the franchise is cultural osmosis and Peace Walker so go ahead

The monsters in the monster hunter setting are just the natural flora/fauna of the world. It isn't notEarth, but an entirely different planet. Unsurprisingly, humans are not the predominant species due to there being giant loving animals and insects everywhere, some with fantastical powers strong enough to warp ecosystems and environments.

A big part of the setting you interact with is that The Guild exists and heavily regulates any and all hunting of the monsters, as they're an important part of the environment and ecosystem generally. Literally to the point of imprisonment or death if an unofficial hunt occurs, if the offender happens to actually survive their hunt. Regardless of the (very) silly text for quests in the games, generally the Guild has investigated to make sure a a hunt is legitimately needed and not simply of convenience or for sport. The Guild also heavily promotes and supports the various sciences that study the natural world in general. There's a whole lot more going on of course but I think that's a solid summery.

For the purposes of actual gameplay though you don't generally see this all too much, and while Capcom has generally built a very cool world setting as mentioned before they don't let it get in the way of a fun game. The suspension of disbelief in the game comes in more when you're chain fighting some of the most dangerous, unique monsters in the setting for their armor/weapons cause let's be real if there were like even 5 of some of the end game monsters just hanging around humanity probably wouldn't exist in the setting lol.

Also there are adorable andromorphic cat people.

edit: this is what I get for not reading further before quoting the first person I see so-

Khanstant posted:

I was just Sunday morning goof troopin but yeah I'll bite. I got through World to at least as far as getting to the second or maybe third hub. I didn't get far in Rise because I was kinda like hey this is the same thing except my other gal has way better stuff already.

My understanding of MHW is they found USA but it's full of giant predators and ya gotta chop em up for clothes and food. I think I found the cat people ruins or something at one point.

For the record, MHW's setting is sort of unique in that the hubs are literally the only places civilization has settled after discovering it so Hunters generally have loosened standards of what they can and can't hunt as well as a bit of carte blanche to do whatever they need to do to survive an entirely undiscovered and settled area. They still gotta report to the Guild though and occasionally get supplies/new recruits coming in so most standards are kept too anyway.

Hunters in general are sort of superhuman anyway, and it's not really made clear why? But basically not everyone can become a hunter, and not every hunter is gonna be as good as the player is generally able to become. Not even touching the Wyvarians, who have 3 (or 4) finger digits and different types of feet along with long ears. Also they live for basically ever, they're just cooler elves really.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jun 4, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Khanstant posted:

Vtubers are just ig influencers for twitch and youtube

ngl I read that as "insect glaive influencers" first instead of the actual social media platform. The result of picking up the bugstick again recently to get through all the updates I missed in Rise lol

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Rinkles posted:

What’s the best Monster Hunter game?

World is my current fave of what I've played.

Also fave hunter themed outfit.

Peak Penguin Performance.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Rinkles posted:

I got a closing credits around 30 hours into Rise, but it felt like such an inconsequential milestone because it was clear the game was still sandbagging a lot gameplaywise, and it didn't really solve the village's big issue (rampages persist), but the story is paper thin anyway.

Rise is a little unique in that there's a very early credits if you do the village quests, and also at launch there was no actual proper end or final boss implemented. We had to wait about... 3 months about iirc? before they were able to release a proper finale. The pandemic had a significant impact at the time which is why it happened.

Sunbreak is a better example as it had a fully realized story start to finish, with any updates after just adding in more challenge monsters for fun and extra sets.

e;fb

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

for those who it matters to, Remnant 2 is now on pre-purchase with a release date of June 25th. P hype ngl, already pre-purchased and my co-op buddy has picked it up to. Can't wait!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I said come in! posted:

SOMETHING AWFUL HAPPENED AM I RIGHT

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Saint Freak posted:

Finished this boy last night

What a blast from the past. Really liked that show.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

What the heck is WATA?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I said come in! posted:

Basically watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvLFEh7V18A I can't remember if this was the exact video that set things in motion in exposing WATA, but the owners of WATA have been trying for over a year to get this video removed from Youtube.

I don't even need to watch the whole video. Market manipulation and speculative bubbles, name a more iconic
economic duo.

Goddamn. :sigh:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tbh there's so many trash gacha advertisements that even honkai just kinda blends in.

Gacha is a mistake

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You can't get the Rathalos mount in the free demo of FF14 and that's why it's a trash game. :colbert:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gripweed posted:

I just wish there was an in-universe lore reason to explain why whetstones don't get used up anymore.

There's plenty of way of ways to do immersion that doesn't involve wasting the player's time, glad they got rid of it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gripweed posted:

It takes like one second to add whetstones to your inventory when you're preparing for a hunt. Grow up.

lmao, get bent if you're actually telling me to grow up unironically.

You still have access to whetstone fish for faster sharpening without skills, so you can still take that one second to add the thing you were complaining about being removed, except now it gives a tangible bonus instead of meaningless tedium and resource overhead.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gripweed posted:

In MHW they also drastically reduced how often you need to sharpen, so why even include sharpening at all? Get rid of it, save us all from tedium. There's lock on for the monster so you don't need camera controls, having to control the camera yourself is pretty tedious. They could include auto attack so you don't need to tediously press the attack buttons over and over again. We've got cutscenes before and after every hunt now, so maybe they could have a character in a little inset window on the screen just chatting while you sit and watch the game so there's something to keep your attention other than just the tedium of a video game. No more tedium, no more worrying about resources, it's all handled for you.

I'm so happy about all of these QoL improvements! Finally, a life free from tedium!

drat you sound tedious.

To try and engage with this in good faith to make up for being so aggro: removing whetstones was a good things because it wasn't engaging for the player. It was a resource overhead that was completely necessary and wasted player time to gather. It was replaced with an unlimited use item that does the same thing and doesn't take up an inventory slot! But the whetstone fish were kept because they're an option to let you keep speed sharpening out of your build.

As for Sharpness, there's many reasons why Capcom has kept it in imo. It's a mechanic that directly engaged the player with the monsters in many ways, from dictating whether you bounce off harder/tougher body parts, to bonus damage and always doing full motion value damage when attacking. It's also a direct balancing lever that can be tweaked in a bunch of different ways for various weapons and causes players to plot out different armor builds to deal with it! This is an interesting thing to engage with as a player.

There's fun bullshit like a giant Bagel carpet bombing you while you fight or a pickle koolaid manning through a while to grab the monster you're fighting and swinging it at you like a mace. There's unfun bullshit. Removing the unfun bullshit or smoothing it out is a good thing.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Rinkles posted:

is it? I haven't played for very long but it seems to me there's a pretty high skill ceiling

No, it isn't I'm pretty sure that's a sarcastic joke. It's like saying all video games are the same because you push buttons to make the images on a screen change which is tedious and reductive.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gripweed posted:

You could buy whetstones. They were always cheap.

And yes sharpening is a good feature. Having to sharpen and standing still while you drank potions were both parts of the game because they created windows of vulnerability for the player. Do you keep banging away even after your weapon has dropped sharpness, do you run to a different area to sharpen or do you think you can get away with it before the monster hits you, these were decisions the player had to make. Drastically reducing how often you have to sharpen and letting you run around while drinking potions are not QoL improvements, they are dumbing down the game. It's about reducing the number of decisions the player has to make and the number of things they have to think about.

One whetstone that never wears out and doesn't take up space in your inventory, ehh, that's arguable. I think it should at least take up space in your inventory. But it was part of a suite of changes that were clearly designed to make the game simpler so players wouldn't have to think as much. Just like making every hunt a plot mission, it's dumbing down the game, creating a more on-rails experience.

Monster Hunter World is, in the main, not a streamlined Monster Hunter with QoL improvements. It is a dumbed down Monster Hunter for lazy gamers.

Moving while drinking potions clearly became a necessity as monster movesets got sped up and the game has gotten faster imo. There's a bunch of times in World and Rise where your window for getting a potion off is very slim, and even then monsters can still punish you for it.

Change in long running series can suck when it's actively reductive in a bad way or just change for the sake of change. However simplifying needlessly complex things to make entry into a series easier is not actively bad, especially for a series like Mon Hun where it's still *really easy* to get overwhelmed and bounce off the two most recent games. Not everyone has the time to invest in sitting down and learning a game inside and out just to be able to play it without frustrations or get to fun parts. World and Rise are still a hard recommend for me to make sometimes because of the relatively high burden of knowledge the game has even with all the tutorials now.

We can also just agree to disagree and move on.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gripweed posted:

What I disagree with you is the idea that you can remove the frustrations to just get to the good parts. The frustrations are important for creating the good parts.

We're going to have to agree to disagree because it seems like neither of us will convince the other, but I see no reason to move on.

There are still frustrations in the game! That said World was also a big move to a different engine and Capcom didn't have REngine made yet so maybe they had the cut out some stuff they might have otherwise kept in? Only way to tell will be when Gen 6 is announced and we find out what is staying, what is going and what is new, mechanics wise.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress wolverine and gently caress the x-men

yes many people want to do that

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

There's a difference between holding an unpopular opinion and being incredibly condescending about others not having the same opinion or disagreeing with you.

One is fair and fine, different strokes for different folks. The other makes you a tedious rear end in a top hat.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 16, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gripweed posted:

The difference you are perceiving is not me being condescending. It is me having a strong belief in my position.

Telling someone to "grow up" Is pretty condescending I hate to break it to you

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Im sorry but I will only watch videos of games played by Games Forum.

Eventually.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The 'roller strikes again.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm never gonna play any of the Yakuza/Like a Dragon games and I'm okay with that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

homeless snail posted:

we like video games here

RBA Starblade posted:

I'll stick with playing good ones though

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

This gets a separate answer cause that cat is too cool.

While part of it is because it's fallen into my mental category of Too Liked By Goons and thus I instantly hipster dislike it (this is not a good habit mind you, I admit this) they're also firmly in the category of games I know I can't focus on long enough now a days and would never be able to finish, especially since it's a long running series.

I'm just not a JRPG and similar type of game genre type of guy, and I've come to terms with that.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I will also never play Disco Elysium and it sounds incredibly overrated.

The GOTY thread is also overrated!!!

*checks notes* okay I think that pisses off everyone? Did I miss anyone?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

homeless snail posted:

you know they're not jrpgs right, except for the 7th one

I'm aware, though if I had to try and pin down way it's because they have a similar vibe even if the actual gameplay doesn't conform to what. JRPG typically is, especially with all the side stuff.

I'm also just uninterested in dramas in general which if I remember right I've heard mentioned that Yakuza game main stories are basically crime dramas.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

poo poo sorry thread I knew I forgot one.

Pentiment, that's another one I'll never play.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

welcome posted:

I did the same thing but I sure wish I'd played them sooner, a couple of them are seriously GOAT territory for me. If you're ever willing to give them a shot look out for a Yakuza 0 sale, best place to start and honestly best game.

Naw. Dumb hipster mentality aside a lot of time it's irritation for folks parroting things without considering personal preferences or genre preferences. I like character action games and beat'em ups! But not when I have to sit through a lot of cutscenes or of a particular plot genre I'm not a fan of.

That, coupled with the fact there are so many games in the genres I know I like it's kinda hard to find any time to play games I *might* like, maybe, if I try them. Or just know I'm not gonna enjoy them flat out. I am glad that there are games that other folks can enjoy and love that I'll never be into cause that's why games are cool! Something for everyone

Time, unfortunately, has only so much space to fit things into.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

my one crippling weakness in video games is missing an obvious path or piece of a puzzle and wandering around trying to figure out how to advance/complete an area to get further. In my defense sometimes what I've missed is something obtuse or not too well sign posted, but most of the time it's just me constantly not looking in the right direction as I backtrack through multiple areas or comb over every inch of terrain trying to find something.

video games r hard. :negative:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Games Forum posted:

A lot of my problems stem for making up things and rules for games in my head that do not exist because I have no idea why I do.

For example: In xenogears the other night, I was in a battle that I assumed I had to lose because of the circumstances but there was nothing telling me this was the case and I proceeded to fail and had to do the previous two battles again and watch a cutscene again.

This happens a lot. Also reading words correctly and remembering things. Does not stop my enjoyment of games though! Love playing video games!

In very famous and not all a flip game The Callisto Protocol I read, way, way too much into the Dodge mechanic tutorial and thought you had to react to which side an enemy was attacking you from and hit the opposite arrow key to dodge, based on the video shown in the tutorial. This is an incredibly tight timing window to react too if you do that, and you'll eat a lot of poo poo (like I did) doing it.

For all those wondering, you do not need to do that at all you just one need hold left or right without attacking and then alternate back and forth till the enemy stops. That's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dabir posted:

Lol you're not the only one who thought that. It sure would make sense if that's how it worked though, wouldn't it? Wonder if that's another case of targeting the game at DSP.

This actually makes me feel a bit better lol.

Tbh I think it was more a case of overanalyzing the video. Once I figured it out it certainly made the game a lot easier.