Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

There's a program I use every every day at work that includes clicking on a date on a calendar to select that date.

For some reason they just changed it. Instead of a simple left click to select the date, now you have to right-click on it to bring up a dropdown, then left click to choose "select date".

Why would anyone do this?

that's chaotic evil as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

bus hustler posted:

Previously Fark, Digg, eBaumsworld, the body building forums, etc

forgot nudeweb

line em up :911:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

What's the red part for?

Like...it looks like all the "brains", controls, and even the headphone jack are on the removable grey part.

Power

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Elder Postsman posted:

I want to find the person who invented infinite scrolling, throw them in a pit and then fill it with gravel.

He deeply regrets his invention and is very vocal about that fact

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

10 years ago: IMs work great, my entire chat history is quickly searchable with full context, hyperlinks work like they’re loving supposed to, e-mail goes through without issue, web UIs are usable if not blazing fast

Today: MS teams lacks a usable search feature, hyperlinks paste an entire loving authorization system that breaks the entire purpose, email loving sucks, every web tool is just barely usable enough for an MBA to plausible say it works to other MBAs but is in fact not usable

it's pretty amazing to see

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Peggy Edson posted:

smartphone fingerprint readers being built into the screen. they're software readers instead of a piece of hardware and they suck loving rear end. the pixel 3 I got in 2018 reads my fingerprints in a split second while the in screen reader on the pixel 7 fails to read my finger multiple times every day

I really don't want to replace this S8+ but the USB C port hasn't worked in years and only wirelessly charging your phone is a big deal when you go places

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

My only thought when my last plant got rid of landlines was, "thank God only 20 people work on my side through 3 shifts and it's shutting down in March"

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

It might be time to dust off the old cs2 install files. Have there even been any killer improvements in graphic/text/layout stuff if you don't care about ai fill?

not enough to make it a subscription service worth your money if you have a TOTALLY LEGITIMATE copy of Photoshop and you're paying for it out of your own pocket

I'm still using CS 2020

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Volcott posted:

I think the thing that makes the self-checkouts at local grocerystore good is that it's like 99% scan a bar code. It only uses a scale if you're buying fruits or vegetables by the pound, otherwise it's just put everything on conveyor, scan, put it back in you cart, repeat until you are no longer stealing. There are still cashiers but they're mainly for people with fucknormous orders/kids/boomers who do not like change.

Buying booze too. IDK the Kroger stores here were already trying to transition to self-check-primary for like 2 years before COVID, then kicked it into overdrive and then the Albertsons all started installing self-checks.
The closest Smith's to my house locks up all the toiletries at like 7PM and is pretty much self-check-only after 5 until 10:40, when they kick your rear end out. I do live in the hood, though, and that change was primarily a crowd control one (3 out of 5 times you go to that store someone is yelling about "just take it back, I didn't even want it!" at security).

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Plan R posted:

FFS! self-checkout is fine. I'm only buying for myself and maybe two days out. I'm in and out like a duck mating.

Yeah, I personally like self-checkout a lot and I don't give a gently caress about bagging my own groceries.

Volcott posted:

I live in CT so all the good hooch is in a different store, but if you're getting beer they usually have to call over a manager because "watch the self-checkouts" guy is usually underage.

Grocery stores sell booze here so cashiers/self-checkout attendants have to be able to legally sell it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

StrangersInTheNight posted:

There's a chubbyemu video about a guy who almost died like this, and got brain damage. Bitcoin mining: Not Even Once

https://youtu.be/fr8bp8a2QS4

poo poo this summer the heat's been defeating my swamp cooler pretty well on the ground floor of my apartment, and the computer room is the hottest room in the house without a computer. Even a sub-1000w system with a 2060 is making the room close to unlivable for anyone except the cat on certain days. Giving yourself heatstroke to generate fake money is just :pwn:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Serious_Cyclone posted:

This is what concerns me about it. I feel like I have to be extremely careful when plugging in or out or when repositioning the laptop while it's plugged in. Sort of robs the laptop of one of its most practical selling points.

I worked on a board for a couple years that had a SMD USB-C port, and the physical design of the USB-C SMD part is the weakest link in the hardware of the standard. It's so tiny, so complex, very hard to work on/fix, and leaves a lot of room to break pins or traces with minor flex.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Serious_Cyclone posted:

Yeah I have a ThinkPad that I really like, but it has a USB-C charging port and I feel like I have to line it up with all of the precision of docking to the International Space Station to prevent it from flexing. There doesn't seem to be any room for error at all. MacBooks seem to have figured this out a long time ago, although I think they also went through a USB-C era in the last few years because reasons.

pins on the top row are damaged on this one, I probably picked it up off the floor after someone left a bunch of trash there because there was a jammed reel.
it's got 4 anchors, 2 at the front and 2 at the back, and all 24 of those tiny rear end pins right next to the flex point on the rear anchors. It's really delicate, way more than it's acknowledged to be by manufacturers since devices are "disposable" I guess.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

euphronius posted:

Checkout fee ???

how are we supposed to afford paying people minimum wage or below in this economy otherwise!?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Brother Tadger posted:

I had to replace my new Lenovo laptop recently because the usb-c charging port was damaged somehow (power surge, flexing,etc); unfortunately, the damaged port was on the motherboard rather than a sister/daughter board and I have no technical proficiency, so to repair/replace the motherboard would have cost (labor/parts) about the same as simply buying an all new computer. Honestly, I only really use my comp as a word processor/email machine and I do harbor serious concerns regarding tech pollution, so I try not to replace my laptop/electronics more often than absolutely necessary (kept my predecessor laptop for approximately a decade), so that really chapped me

it's pretty much always gonna be on a mobo because of the bus and it's mostly gonna be flex breaking solder/lead/ripping the board up. It's a really bad part, straight up, as far as stress goes. No way around it.
We had printing issues with the apertures on the screen across two continents the entire time we ran that board. I'm sure part of it was the Dek printers all being ~20 and reaching EOL, but those apertures are very small and I assume that SMD USB-C parts account for a lot of rework in soldering factories.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

So there's more stuff that's shittier. It's one thing to just NOT make parts user replaceable, but I feel like it's a bit shittier to make them use replaceable, in theory, but then just never actually sell the replacement parts.

the problem with making the USB-C part replaceable is that you just have to make a board for the USB-C SMD part with an interconnect plug with another board, increase the thickness of the device and increase the cost of manufacturing in a pretty massive way.
it's a bad system and it needs to change cuz I've watched it go down, but pretty much any option other than status quo is $$$+++

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

power through PORTS!? what about WIRELESS CHARGING 100% OF THE TIME

I think my S8+ has only charged through wireless for about 4.5/6 years of its life

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 23, 2023

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

general grievance in the vein of the USB-C part:

tolerances in SMD parts went wild after we had to start sourcing from anywhere we could find during COVID, especially after that factory in Japan that made our opamps burned down. Boards were failing tests while being perfectly in range because parts were constantly 0.0001v out of tolerance, poo poo like that. Then replace a resistor from the same manufacturer, same reel, no fail. I feel like we're walking right back into a capacitor plague situation. None of your post-COVID electronics are trustworthy.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Maybe they've been doing it for a while but I just noticed that the Google Play Store now shows a series of ads at the top of the search results instead of the obvious one you're looking for to trick you into accidentally downloading them.

I just sideloaded Play store on my Prime Day Fire HD 8 that I rediscovered (excellent find, it's way bigger than that piece of poo poo fire stick remote that gets lost all the time, at 0.0000000000000005x the input speed!) and noticed that.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Blue Moonlight posted:

Those were Flexplay DVDs - once they turn black, they’re unplayable coasters.

Lol Flexplay and the original DIVX, DVD rental solutions so bad that the former was described in a test market as, "not the kind of product our customers are looking for," and the latter killed Circuit City dead.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Dip Viscous posted:

I knew someone that worked at Circuit City during this era. They had "recycle bins" for dropping off the dead discs, but the company never implemented any recycling program at all. They filled up and the entire displays sat in the stockroom for years until someone hucked them out with the regular trash when nobody was looking.

That was DIVX, the one you had to buy a special player from CC for and you activated over (at the time) dialup modem and could buy more time on because of a barcode or something. The first implementation of phone-home digital video media bankrupted CC, just absolutely demolished it, because they bet their entire loving future as a corporation on it, with that plan.

Flexplays were a non-starter because nobody wanted to rent DVDs from their grocery store that instantly started degrading and turned into trash within days because it was a bad idea. Disney heavily invested in those.

Times were different *checks notes* 25-12 years ago (the official death of Flexplay was 2011 lmao)

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

earbuds have never worked for me, poo poo just does not stay in my ear regardless of the shape and I gotta wear cans

I like the Momentum 3s I have, they're pretty good

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

There's a part of me that just wants the VC money tap to turn off already so the tech industry can just collapse and we can go back to living in an analog world.

I am picky about sound quality and my ears are gross wax fountains so for me cans (Sennheiser HD 650) are the only way to go.

I used to make the mobos for the Momentums before they sold off the consumer division, and while the plant shut down I won a pair of HD280s and a pair of MassxSenn 6XX (HD680 internals with cheaper outer) from the merch closet. I really like the 6XXs, too bad they require a driver.

also lol that analog world poo poo ain't the way it's gonna go

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Woolie Wool posted:

No, instead we'll likely have pretty much no culture aside from a dribble of schlock dispensed through our dumb terminals at pathetic bandwidths while the bulk of computer technology is repurposed for war, surveillance, policing, and administration :smith:

as long as I got power, a turntable or other audio input and an amp I can use my 6XX

lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

All You Can Eat posted:

Sour candies are weak as heck these days. I have a bald spot on my tongue from when I ate three Warheads on a dare in the early 2000s, they were that potent.

Over the years these candies have gotten milder and milder. I bet they toned the intensity down to save costs, maybe also because morons kept burning their tongues by going overboard.

burning people's tongues to ash with ascorbic acid is not a viable business strategy, no

oldschool warheads were insane

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Triikan posted:

Just put the images on the block chain.

:hmmyes:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

I like seafood but a lot of it can kill me

I used to love eating a bucket of mussels :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqjza0JOYhk

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Tenkaris posted:

USB C connectors really loving suck unfortunately, they are just not that durable

Yeah the SMD part loving sucks

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

The USB-C connector is real delicate

That one's broken but you can see how easy it is to stress it out

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

bossy lady posted:

These really should have tabs on either side that solder into the ground plane to give them structural integrity. I guess that would add a fraction of a cent to the manufacturing cost though so gently caress that.

They have 4 posts, they're all visible. They're just shallow, and that's partly a pick and place thing, because the USB-C port is a SMD part that goes on in the chip mounter, not a drop-in.
The back posts are right next to the 24 microscopic pins that will eventually have solder stress fractures

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

This one in particular drives me insane. "Let me just check the scores of todays games real quick, oh wait my mouse touched something in the menu bar and now a giant menu is now blocking the entire page. Ok I'll just move my mouse away, oh great that just opened more menus, and one of them has a video playing in it somehow."

Now that Aaron is retired he should look into web development

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I know this is GBS and “lol sportsball!” But how the gently caress do you even watch sports anymore?

I watch the raiders make fools of themselves on YouTube or go to a bar

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

bossy lady posted:

My first job's corporate card was amex. More places accepted it than you'd think. It only became a problem when I worked outside of north america.

there was a whole period of time where Kroger wasn't accepting Amex over a corporate dispute, then they accepted Amex and didn't accept Visa over a corporate dispute.
I never cared about not being able to use amex at 60% of the grocery stores in town because I don't have an amex, but when that became Visa it was a real fuckin pain in the rear end.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

redshirt posted:

I remember exchanging American Express Checks in various European offices.

Cheques*

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

pencilhands posted:

Why are like 95% of online ads now related to treatments etc for having a small dick?

pencilhands posted:

Personally, I agree that attacking trump or other republicans for their physical characteristics is not only morally wrong, but can potentially drive away potential democrat voters. For example remember those statues some artist made of trump with a comically small penis, which was an obvious jab at him. As a man with a clinical micropenis, this was only another reminder of my disability and while I could never vote for a republican, it caused me a level of mental anguish that I could see a more centrist voter finding to be a bridge too far.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cuz of this op

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Time_pants posted:

Honestly, if you work with Adobe Suite at all, you don't need the guide to know what it's referencing.

even just loving around as an amateur lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I paid for a month of ChatGPT and tried to use it to come up with ideàs for a short story I was working on and its ideas ended up being good enough that they infuriated me so I'm not sure why I did it

lol 0wned

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

skooma512 posted:

They raised the price of Doritos and the seasoning is very light on the chips.

last time they sold Taco-flavored Doritos here, my favorite and the original flavor, they tasted like corn chips. It was :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Further Reading posted:

One of the streaming TV apps I use has removed the ability to enable subtitles in the app. I have to go to the website, log into my account and enable it there. However, even after doing that subtitles won't show when using chromecast.

How do you gently caress up subtitles this bad in 2023?

You aren't supposed to be able to read anymore, just watch and consume