Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

gradenko_2000 posted:

this really could go into about half-a-dozen other threads in CSPAM but I guess this is the most germane

https://red-autumn.itch.io/social-democracy

this simply taught me that propping up a failing bougie democracy is doomed to failure

Ytlaya posted:

Another thing I was curious/confused about - what's up with the "put a spy in the comintern" option? I never chose it because it seemed hostile, but is it actually the "diplomacy with the soviets" option?

nope, it's the hostile option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

gradenko_2000 posted:

Apparently the studio behind Kingdom Come Deliverance is announcing a new game this week

Anyone have an opinion on KCD? I have it on PS Plus so I'm wondering if it's worth a playthrough.

I found it fun enough to play all of the DLC, but that's because I'm a history nerd and I enjoy unusual games like this. At first, I bounced off it hard because it really leans into the simulation element (up to including a quest where the PC learns how to read and write) and some of the mechanics are wonky as hell -- combat, in particular. The problem isn't so much the controls (though that's something you'll struggle with), but that it's brutally difficult, and if you want to be at least competent at it, you need to spend a loooooong time leveling up your skills.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Check out That's Not My Neighbor if you like the idea of Papers, Please crossed with body horror

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Zokari posted:

i bet there are people trying to argue that game is great actually

it's probably the worst game in the series and that's loving saying somethhing

As terrible and edgelord as that game is, sonic 2006 will always be the nadir of the franchise. at least shadow gave me some unintentional laughs and a couple of good music tracks; 2006 was so loving bad it's legendary. it was so bad it's still burned into my memory

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

gradenko_2000 posted:

I played through the prologue/intro of Kingdom Come: Deliverance and good lord this game is authentic. I couldn't win a fistfight with the town drunk for the life of me, and the lockpicking controls were so squirrely that I couldn't get that to work either, so I snuck up on him, knocked him out with a choke-hold, lifted the keys from his body, and opened his chest to take his stuff back that way. It really feels like the game wants to drive home the notion that fighting is really loving difficult and dangerous and you need to find other solutions whenever you can.

There's also a ton of lore about the Holy Roman Empire that you can read in the codex if you want to immerse yourself in the game's universe.

Lockpicking is so much easier with a mouse that it's unfair.

One tip: Stay the gently caress away from fighting more than one opponent until you're properly trained and equipped.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

def feels like a 12 year old game. I like the frame rate hiccup every time you fire a gun

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'd highly recommend at least completing the "Mysterious Ways" main quest before doing any major exploring. After that you'll have the basics: weapons, armor, a horse, combat fundamentals, and yes, the ability to read.

rudecyrus has issued a correction as of 04:30 on Apr 23, 2024

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Cuttlefush posted:

train with bernard or die

also this

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Ytlaya posted:

What happens if you win that fight? Do his buddies just attack you in a cutscene or something?

Also, is it possible to kill the rear end in a top hat you run into soon before that? I actually initially got killed by him in a fistfight before realizing I could take my sword out, at which point he ran away (and then brought back the guys who owned me).

sorry, which cuman are you referring to

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Vox Nihili posted:

dwarf fortress generated a Poster

gelder? like someone who castrates horses?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
you can either pay someone to repair your stuff or, ideally, buy repair kits and start raising your maintenance skill

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Al! posted:

a pretty funny joke in the south park game is that the skin tone and difficulty were the same slidier

best difficulty slider

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

DaysBefore posted:

Just play TNO. Very simple, straightforward mechanics

jfc, i fell off TNO hard because of this. got deep into it at first thanks to the complex and interesting alt-history narrative, then the fanbase complained it wasn't realistic enough or something, devs added so many obtuse mechanics that it's an endless bore now, reddit is nothing but flagchat and fanfic. gdi

then again, maybe the devs shouldn't have started with modding a game focused primarily on battle tactics and logistics

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

gradenko_2000 posted:

"The New Order: Last Days of Europe" is a mod for HOI 4
What sucks is that it's not (or it wasn't) the Nazi fanwank it appears to be: At some point the timeline diverges from our own (FDR only has two terms, Mao dies, Bukharin becomes leader of the USSR instead of Stalin, etc.) which results in the present situation -- you can argue it's still unrealistic, but at least it's not "Germany won due to its superior Aryan intellect and strength, HOORAY". Plus, the overall narrative attempts to be somewhat realistic: Germany is secretly headed for a collapse due to stagnation from lack of conquest, an overreliance on slave labor, and the state being run by bickering factions held in check by an increasingly senile Hitler -- in fact, it erupts into civil war shortly after he kicks the bucket. Japan is a house of cards because its government is almost totally dysfunctional (the ruling political party is plagued with infighting and corruption scandals) and its economic reliance on stripping its colonies of raw materials and crushing any attempts to form an independent industry has created much discontent, not to mention the fact any disruption in the supply chain means disaster (which is what happens). The USA has a ton of mechanics and variables that can send it down many different paths, from fascism to communism and everything inbetween.

It seemed like there was actual thought behind it, but then the lead devs left or got doxxed and now it's a dumpster fire.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
points for sticking with it, I guess

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

according to my star citizen obsessed friend, they have delayed the cargo mechanics from the upcoming big update and moved them back to the next big update

the game is hilarious and i enjoy logging in every now and then to see how broken and tedious it all is

While I'm not surprised Star Citizen still exists, I wonder when the whole thing will collapse. The funds have to dry up at some point, right?

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Ytlaya posted:

My Logitech K400 keyboard came. This is perfect for using while PC gaming from my bed. Now I can apologize to people in FF14 before playing poorly.

Never (or at least not until older millennials die off). There's a whole generation of (upper/upper-middle-class) men who are basically paying for the fantasy of a future "second life" in a scifi world, and they'll never give that fantasy up. They're paying thousands for the dream of owning their own space yacht and being famous/popular in scifi world.

or until the economy finally implodes

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

lol capitalism

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

technically he's right

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Lpzie posted:

colony ship is good but I didn't think it's as good as age of decadence. AoD had more to do cause the earth can be ancient and hide many great mysteries. but a ship kinda cannot. it tried though. it was fun. got the best ending cause im a genius.

hell yeah I loved AoD. took a long time for me to grasp the gameplay and mechanics, but I was hooked once I figured it out

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Mantis42 posted:

Nice strawman Emil but people hate that games story because it's poorly written garbage that makes no sense.

but enough about Starfield

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

SomethingBeautiful posted:

two katanas named democrat and republican

wait what

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
stardew valley is nice

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

They should put big nasty boners back in video games

:hmmyes:

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah its worse in starfield. There's no point to it at all. It's a space game about exploration but there's never any point to building an outpost. It's a real shame and something modders can easily fix so give it 4 years and we might have something decent.

the best part of starfield imho was the shipbuilding, but then I realized most of the hab modules are palette swaps and the best parts are either level-gated or require putting points into skills

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Karach posted:

Pathologic 2 for real gaming sickos

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I sunk too many hours into the Sims and Sims 2, but I stopped playing 3 at some point bc I think my interests changed. When I heard about Sims 4 and its crazy monetization, I just sighed

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
the people who get hyped for the latest asscreed have never played anything besides mainstream AAA titles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Buck Wildman posted:

the last ubisoft game I can ever think of devoting real thought to was the far cry caveman game

same, that's the last one that sticks out in my mind. I read somewhere the devs consulted linguists who constructed a fictional prehistoric language with three distinct dialects

I can't imagine Ubisoft bothering to do that now