Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Augus posted:

why would they buy party members at full price?

Because they've been playing one too many Blizzard games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm just gonna come out and say it, you shouldn't keep your Main Quest Audio Logs unlabeled in with your other audio logs so you leave a player with no idea where to go next, System Shock Remake. That's one area they could've skipped out on staying faithful to the original game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i need to get around to trying that on Game Pass to see if I like it. The aesthetics seem cool and the gunplay serviceable, but it was a bit maligned at release so I need to see for myself if its any good

too many drat games tho, ill never get through my list

Having played it, it's middling. Lots of baffling design choices, haphazard plot and atrocious writing. As you said the combat is serviceable and it's got some really neat aesthetics but it's nothing special aside from a few select moments.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

The writing isn't that bad but there's a lot of stuff that it doesn't explain or discuss that it really needed to, mostly about the main character

I mean they do, they just do it in an overly long exposition dump before the final level.

What they absolutely don't do is make the protagonist relatable or even coherent. He's a generic rear end in a top hat that gets mad at the dumbest poo poo while also doing his absolute best to never question or figure things out until someone straight up comes along to tell him what he should think.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

the steam forums rule i just got done reading a post from someone talking about how being banned from battlebit for saying the Gamer word is why homophobia exists, and that as a gay man he's concerned about his safety

naturally he's in a bunch of 4chan steam groups

The Steam forums, being the forum for everyone, is always a complete surprise. Sometimes you get a person asking for help and getting that help faster than anywhere else on the net, sometimes that same type of question gets people incredibly mad. Its like logging into random IRC servers back in the 90s, I love it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

tenderjerk posted:

the steam forums should just be for "will [x] run on the steam deck" and literally nothing else

It is that, but then they also ask the question they actually had on their mind afterwards.

It's like an Amen at the end of a prayer, gotta put that thing in there or it doesn't count.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

To be honest every PVPVE game should be shut down because they're always cookie cutter crap.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

loquacius posted:

Yeah like I'm sure A Hat In Time is good and everything and it's 50% off which is great but I just spent $30 on games for myself and $4 on a game for my daughter and I dunno if I can justify another $15 on top of that when I could just show her Mario Odyssey

Or Banjo-Tooie tbh, I've been avoiding it because it killed off Bottles and he was her favorite character but maybe it'd be ok? He's a cartoon ghost right

I really wish you could still legitimately purchase steam codes to gift to people so I could throw them at peeps who want to try new games but are hesitant because of the cost.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Grey Fox posted:

then turn on embeds

Could just be the weird dumb thing with Twitter that just happened too.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Chard posted:

dave the diver beats rear end, chill as gently caress with incredible graphics. i am going to eat mushrooms and just gently caress around underwater looking at dope fish

I just tried it for the first time and its really good. Excellent interface, chill music, tons of stuff to do. Only problem I really have with it is the translation (the story itself is good)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dave the Diver has one of my favorite things, which is a fake phone/Internet in a videogame. Jagged Alliance 2, the net in that one Front Mission game, the GTA phones, they're always a ton of fun.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm loving Dave but I desperately want to change the music that plays on the boat, I've heard it around a hundred times now

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

I haven't messed around with it too much but it seems there isn't a way to have the music player keep playing whatever you select when it's open, it stops when you close the app. Would be nice if you could change the music.

At least in the boat area. You go into it so often and its the same tinny thing and it kinda doesn't fit with what's been going on for the last few hours in the game at all and did I mention the hundred times thing?

There's so much good music in the game, just let me randomize it or something.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

punished milkman posted:

i got this lil gameboy lookin emulator thing that has every nes game known to man installed on it. i’ve got like 5 copies of hitler’s resurrection on that bad boy

the gameboy thing is called the miyoo mini plus and it absolutely owns. highly recommend if you want to play some retro games on a handheld. goes all the way to the psx.

It really is great. In fact, everyone should own a console like it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I like bethesda games

I like all games. Please send more games

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

in JA2 the questions only determine your perks, you always get to do points manually

and the game is hard as gently caress starting out

Yeah, it uses the original Deus Ex template for fights in that you'll loving miss everything until you learn how to exploit the game's mechanics. Also you don't have any rifles and will need to crawl around like a coward hoping you don't get hit before you reach a good firing spot because enemies can interrupt you seemingly at random.

Meanwhile, Jagged Alliance 3 is hard but mostly fair.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Frog Act posted:

yeah we’ve entered a golden age of good price to content ratio in that regard. stuff like battlebits for multiplayer and thus up to thousands of hours and then countless games like Dave the Diver which seems likely to be a solid 40 hours and somehow manage to be both compelling, cheap, and lengthy. obviously the whole indie explosion has been happening for awhile but it feels qualitatively superior to what was around in 2016 or so

what really excites me is the prospect of Chinese companies entering the western market as giant conglomerates continue to gently caress everything up and kill off series like battlefield, every MMO ever, etc. there’s gonna be a gaming renaissance emanating from China in the near future

What are some Chinese game properties you consider great?

Also on an unrelated note Jagged Alliance 3 is so good. I desperately wish they did more of the old fake Internet stuff like what they did in 2 though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Xaris posted:

Chinese indie games have been coming out swinging in the big league despite having no previous gaming industrial base to start with

- Dyson Sphere Program: the best industry sim/factorio game of all time.
- Ender Lillies: great metroidvania
- My Time at Portia: great 3d stardew valley
- My Time at Sandrock: even better version of Portia that's shaping up to out compete even Stardew king itself.
- Gunfire Reborn: best co-op roguelite FPS shoot em up game. even great solo. best in it's class IMO
- Bright Memory: pretty fun shooter god-of-war-y type game
- Astra Libra: ask smarxist
- Eastern Exorcist: fun 2d side-scroller adventure-action game
- Amazing Cultivation Simulator
- Eastward: really cute SNES-esque adventure game

decent polygon article on rise of chinese game developers: https://www.polygon.com/22893265/china-aaa-indie-video-games-genshin-impact-dyson-sphere-program

Eastward is the only game out of those that kinda looks like my jam. Think I tried My time at portia at some point but wasn't exactly blown away, Sandrock doesn't look like it'd do it for me.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jagged Alliance 3 continues to be good despite a bit of sequence breaking. Just had the toughest fight of the game so far and it was extremely grueling. Really wish there was a way to ferry gear across the map without putting it in anyone's inventory, I bet I left tons of ammo lying around.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Now do Orlanth killing the Sun God Yelm using the rune of Death.

Glorantha posting is always good.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Awww fucks sake the Little Big Adventure game got cancelled.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The final fight in jagged Alliance 3 is gruesome and I think half my teams have been downed and there's like 5 more elites still in the wings bearing down on me with pinpoint accuracy. I both love and hate it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

btw for anyone else struggling with the final three figths: you can do them with all mercs at once, I had a full 17 in modded gear, was very cool

Unfortunately you can only bring two teams to the very final fight. It is absolutely the place you should bring all your grenade launchers and RPGs because the enemy is all about people hiding behind pillars and firing at you from out of regular ranges.

As I mentioned elsewhere the game is mostly good aside from the notzombie content. It also needs some kinda postal service because it takes forever to figure out where I put all my junk. That or just let us get Bobby Ray's again.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

How and why did we suddenly get a ton of great games all dropping in the same year like this we haven't seen this many games across so many genres all scoring high.

Indies, big studios, RTS games returning, a plethora of turn-based and RPGs, fighting games, Nintendo releasing everything but a new Metroid Prime(lol), Horror games that aren't all the same formula, rhythm games that are also shooters or platformers or both, a game about speed running pizzas and their towers.

What happened? Did the pandemic just get people to hold off on releasing games and now we are drowning in staggered releases?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

yup

I'm looking at 2021 in game releases and basically nothing came out. Loop Hero. Monster Hunter Rise. Humankind? Diablo 2 Resurrected. Age of Empires 4? almost everything else is just ports to other platforms and "ultimate edition" re-releases.

The case to be made for edging.

But yeah please do more of this games industry, just throw out like fifty great or cool games in the span of a few months.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The tutorial got changed up a bit from the Early Access but it's mostly trimmed fat. I dunno if I missed the third brain in a jar or if that got removed sometime during EA.

In any case, playing a persuasive paladin and it still feels like the DC is too high for some of these conversations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Al! posted:

anyway i was shocked when larian hired chris metzen

No he's the dude that's all about dragons not bears, easy mistake

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

yeah, like mentioned above when you underestimate Vlaakith

I mean, if you played any Planescape at all you probably will get that game over, but it is still funny

It's not even underestimating her it's just her motivations and hatred of you is 100 percent clear and out in the open and you still thought doing her a favor would help you somehow despite her history of straight up murdering anything that is even remotely a threat to her.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, it's call Chimera Squad and it whips

No it's called Jagged Alliance 3. Chimera Squad was 2.5 get it straight.

(They were both good tho)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm not sure who my favorite companion is. Karlach just kicks all the rear end but I agree that the voice is a bit off. Shadowheart is a slow burn where it is pretty obvious what her two secrets are but I want to get dealing with them over with. Wyll is a nice guy but, again, his quest is going to take forever to deal with. Same with Gale. Astarion is difficult, I kinda know where his story is going probably but it just takes forever to get to a point where he doesn't pout about every decision we make.

Laezel is interesting enough, like every gith companion in gaming history, and she has some funny dialogue. But again, will probably have to wait until Act 3 to start resolving their quest properly or get anywhere.

Most of Larian's companions tend to be a slow burn. In fact I would say Baldur's Gate 3 in general is just slow as molasses in a lot of ways.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Orange Devil posted:

wtf even is the Harper philosophy?

Like what are they even *about*? Been playing DnD games for 25 years and still don't know that. Haven't bothered to read any books on them because lol gently caress that

They're the loose cannons that don't play by no rules but they get the job done but are somehow also super naive. They protect nature (I guess) and preserve history, but try to do it in secret.

Like in general they are a reactive force to other organizations like the Zhentarim or the big bad of the week, so you can't really compare them to much in the real world.

Unlike say the Moonstars who just used to be the secret police of Khelben Blackstaff's, and Force Grey who were uuuuh, I don't know. Pinkertons? They never really put down any workers but they caused a whole lot of collateral damage on behalf of the guards.

Edit: Like legit reading about the Harpers they are all about Freedom, so I guess they are True Neutral but also maybe Centrists if you wanna go down that route.

evilmiera has issued a correction as of 12:19 on Aug 10, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Actually wait no, they apparently tended to rob rich nobles to fix economic disparity, so they aren't centrists at all. I think they are just meant to represent generic players of DnD, aka people who just randomly decide to rob a noble one day to give to the poor and another teach a history class to a bunch of nice kobolds or plant seeds after a war torched a community.

To be honest I think they might just be whatever the writer wants them to be.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

they struck me as basically the Justice League. what if we just did good things but never changed anything and generally hated anyone ever telling us what to do except what we feel like doing this week

The Justice League never robbed anybody except the people who bought variant covers.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

DaysBefore posted:

How did the Wayne family get rich anyway. I assume originally they owned factories or railroads or whatever. Those things don't exist anymore so what makes modern Batman the big bucks

Wayne Enterprises is basically a megacorporation, in all likelyhood if you can imagine it Waynetech has been involved in it. It might have started out as something medical-related.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

batman is a billionaire therefore a thief

Robbed anybody who deserved it, then.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

jaheira in the old bgs is a harper and if you have her along there's a whole side story of hers involving harper bullshit and them just showing up to cause trouble for you because being a bhaalspawn upsets the status quo

Being a bhaalspawn straight up causes murderplagues around you because you have an innate urge to kill off your siblings and generally everybody else so your dad can come back to life. So that's a bit more than just upsetting the status quo (even if you're generally a good guy you do end up killing like, thousands of people/creatures before the games are over).

As for the harpers, as mentioned they're mostly a faction to insert wherever the plot needs an organization to lean on for help. They aren't a proper likeness to regular groups in our world unless we're talking anarchists of a very niche brand, since most of those didn't have close ties to a government figure and still act the way they do.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Buck Wildman posted:

if you turn this on it should have every other party member sitting in a chair watching your character bone during the cutscene

And look really, really bored while doing it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Arivia posted:

the real life equivalent to the harpers is the cia and the school of the americas

The real life equivalent would probably be a mix of the surviving anarchists before the Soviet revolution, a bunch of history nerds and a CIA cell that went rogue like in Alpha Protocol.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Arivia posted:

the cell that goes rogue is the moonstars

I thought the Moonstars were the guys that kept working for Khelben, aka the government?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

To be honest If I start playing Starfield I will probably play it rather than BG3 not because it is a better game but because I know I will burn out trying to play BG3 so I need every chance I get to do something else or my ADHD-crippled brain is going to keep poking me to play the better game. Whereas if I play Starfield I'll be so bored I can start focusing on something else other than my computer for a minute.