Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Hello new thread. I've been playing Splatoon 3 a lot but I find that if I don't play every day for multiple hours a day, I tend to get a lot worse at it. Salmon Run is still fun, though. Thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I also bought Street Fighter 6 but I'm too nervous of a Nellie to play it.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

nobody is madder at video games than these guys

what about all the perverts and nazis mad about CENSORSHIP in decade old fighting game Skullgirls

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Buck Wildman posted:

fyi if you're into indie horror fanatical has the whole dread x collection series on sale for $5: https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/complete-dread-x-collection

it's kind of hit or miss but there's some real gems in there and it's a LOT of material for the price tag

Thanks for the notice. I played Iron Lung a week or two ago and was thinking of getting into little indie horror games soon.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Stupid Boxes posted:

my ultimate kept disconnecting then eventually one of the back buttons just snapped. they’re not the best made things turns out

Dunno about the disconnecting problem, but if it's like my 8bitdo, the part that snapped off the trigger is actually a cover that you can snap back on (or just play without).

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I could be wrong about this, but I feel like DS3 has the most instances of not doing something at the right time = missing out on an NPC's quests or a not getting an important merchant and other things like that. I think I might've dropped it halfway through my first playthrough because of something like that, but it's been quite a while.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

KirbyKhan posted:

Whereas eastern RPGs are not a metaphor. There is an all powerful being up in the sky, mutated through ancient magick and/or false worship. They are literally the source of all suffering and you should kill it to have a happy ending. Simple as.

This is actually a metaphor for Japan's relationship with the United States

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

I've been reading more Games threads since this one is mostly about BG3 now (and good for everyone enjoying it) and I was amazed at the amount of vitriol that post generated. Absolutely bizarre that one goofy post got a loving week probe. I thought Games was supposed to be a fun, chill place, but it's worse than Reddit sometimes.

Anyway, someone invite me to the secret CSPAM SF6 Discord server for scrubs, I don't know what I'm doing.

vvvvvv hell yeah

Orb Crabmelt has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Aug 21, 2023

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

1. The game sounds pretty good from reviews!

2. Game reviewers still can't write for poo poo!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

played through the Punisher beat 'em up on my MiSTer with my buddy and I think I spent like $10 in fake quarters to keep up with him.

I was very hosed up.

Do Alien vs Predator next!!!!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
CoreChat: I tried putting the shield on my AC but I kept forgetting to use it

So in a fit of sour grapes, I'm going to assume that it only serves to engender passivity and I'm putting more missiles there

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I dunno about anyone else, but I've been playing some great video games!!!!!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Buck Wildman posted:

I'm glad which ones

• Splatoon 3 co-op mode for podcasts and chilling out
• SF6 is my first time playing a fighting game online
• Armored Core 6 in bite-sized chunks

I was also dabbling a little in experimental horror games, starting with the Dread X collections I think you posted about when they went on a massive sale. Some of the Dread games are good, but I feel a lot of them are either underbaked or overrated. I got Silent Hill 2 & 3 up and running, so they'll be good to go for October. "Unsorted Horror" by Mike Klubnika seems pretty interesting for a free collection of "short first-person horror games, that revolve around detailed machinery and dread." For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f5NKl-DDq8

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Buck Wildman posted:

I never responded to you I'm sorry. I'm glad you're enjoying the dread x collections and deffo agree with you on the variable quality. that said I think the lows are meh at worst while the highs can be stratospheric so especially if you bought in on that sale I think it's definitely worth it

It was an amazing value for five bucks or however much, but I had to wonder why they even included stuff like Arcadletra.

You're right about the highs being high—the good titles had me feeling on edge the way no other horror games had before. Even Sucker For Love really caught me off guard since I was only expecting a goofy dating sim parody, but I ended up intentionally getting a bad ending halfway through because my nerves got to me and I wanted to quit immediately.

I'll have to ask the Games horror thread what's good from the fifth Dread collection because that's the one I see people talk about the least. I've never booted it up and I don't recognize any of the devs from it either.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I played Morrowind (via OpenMW) the whole way through for the first time this year and it was great, though I also did some medium-grade cheating:

- some sort of mod that changed the leveling system because everyone agrees it's stupid
- higher encumbrance because loving with inventory poo poo sucks
- I had a .txt file that I would copy console commands for fast travel to places I had already been to
- "basic rear end player home in Balmora" mod

I also kept notes on quests and stuff, but I think if you hit a key on the journal menu, the game already does most of that for you.

I recommend it!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I assure all the naysayers that nothing interesting happens when walking from Balmora to the silt strider from the silt strider to the Foreign Quarter canton in Vivec and from there to the one random book store that's actually a front for the Thieves Guild. Just type in coc, "Vivec, Simine Fralinie: Bookseller" after the first time you've been there and save yourself two or three minutes.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Caved and got AC6 while waiting another week for PS5 BG3.

I definitely would have been annoyed at the tutorial boss if I hadn't read posts explaining the stagger mechanic. Did I miss something or is that just flat out not explained in the mission?

As is, took me three tries. The checkpoint system seems very forgiving.

Stagger isn't explained until after the helicopter. It's very funny how much the boss gives people trouble (including me), but they should've explained that. Your handler only tells you that being airborne will help defend against the missiles it fires.

It also took me three tries. The successful attempt was when I said "gently caress it, I'll just do the exact opposite of what I think I should be doing" and started to get in its face.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
This is the first I've seen any in-game footage of Starfield and the art direction is very sterile. Like, what if everything was NASA? The actual engine itself has a lot of graphical improvements, but there's just nothing worth looking at.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I scrubbed around in the one video someone posted and there are some more interesting looking locations.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Grey Fox posted:

space is empty

they should've set it on Earth and made Earthfield, then

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
In AC6, I'm considering switching to KB+M after reading some things about how the targeting system works (mainly that hard lock-on penalizes accuracy). I'm realizing that there's not much of a reason to use controller on PC other than having to figure out what buttons to bind the four weapon slots to on my mouse.

Buck Wildman posted:

I bogged down on the act 1 boss in ac6

Same. I did a little digging and I think I'm letting the missile salvos and the second phase melee attacks dissuade me from playing in a sufficiently aggressive manner.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Mr Hootington posted:

Loquacius you should buy me an Xbox x and starfield. You just got a very high paying job

(I change Loquacius's cell on my spreadsheet from "laid-off" to "employed")

Hey, congrats on the new job, man! That's great news!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

pink noise posted:

and if you do manage to drop a few of them and stay in/return to hiding, the ones still alive tend to cower together in the same corner and stop patrolling, so you have to nade them or turn the corner and facetank a bunch of shots

Sounds like good A.I. if you ask me. Let's see the grunts in F.E.A.R. pull off the "hide" part of "run, fight, hide" this well.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Why is it so hard for koei to make a good rotk game or dynasty warrior these days

Sadly, they let the haters and the trolls convince them that putting out the same game every few years is bad, so now they have to change and add a bunch of poo poo no one asked for or wanted à la Dynasty Warriors 9. They should've just bought out id and spruced up some of the lighting or something.

They will never again reach the perfection of Samurai Warriors 4 (PS4 version) or the one ROTK I really liked until I read that the combat system was inherently busted and only got patched in Japan.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Buck Wildman posted:

ghostwire's fun I like slingshotting around finding swag for the cats and proving I ain't afraid of no ghost. also the haunted locations poo poo is p cosmic and well done

It's a really fun game to just chill out and relax in. I need to check back in and try out the DLC stuff they added.

Maybe it's just in my head, but if you shoot the visitors in the legs, I think they stagger more easily.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

turn off the TV posted:

they nerfed some of the bosses in armored core 6 and people are melting down about how from ruined baltius by nerfing its damage and hp and made it slower and stagger more easily while being less aggressive because it doesn't attack as much anymore and it's so easy that anyone could do it now and it takes no skill and game journalists and casuals ruined everything

*cracking my knuckles, yawning* now that the most recent splatfest is over, I'm thinking of picking AC6 back up

turn off the TV posted:

someone data mined the changes and the only thing they did was make the missile tracking less accurate

*uncracking knuckles, inhaling in a long, drawn-out manner* or maybe I should jump back into SF6

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I had to start playing Starfield since it's all anyone is talking about. Here are some thoughts and observations:

Using jet packs is way more fun and useful after binding jump to both space and alt. Is it a bug that it doesn't work like that by default, or a bug that it works only if you bind them like that? In any case, it increased my enjoyment of exploration by 200%.

If you're under 250m away from your ship, you can hit tab, click on Ship, then hit F to view its cargo hold. From there, you can transfer poo poo without having to actually go back inside of it.

I did the thing where you build an outpost on Bessel III B. I wouldn't recommend doing it exactly the way the guy in the YouTube video did if it's causing you grief, but it does show the basics of what you need for an outpost. Aluminum and iron for wind turbines are probably the first things you should go for. Building the initial outpost beacon itself doesn't cost anything, and you can easily delete them if you're not able to actually exploit the resources in its radius for whatever reasons.

After building two outposts, I noticed they kept blowing up randomly. It seems to stop if I assign people there and fast travel a bunch of times. Very frustrating. Not sure if it's a good old fashioned bug, intended, or maybe an anti piracy measure. Just keep an eye out for the repair option if your poo poo stops producing resources or power.

(A lot of these things should be explained in the game!!!!)

In general, I'd recommend only engaging with outposts and ship building for the bare minimum since it's all so finicky and a pain in the rear end. I spent two hours redesigning my ship and when I get inside of it, all the ladder and door placements are hosed up.

And try not to track too many resources since there's no way to reset them easily and you might end up tracking something stupid like iron for the entire game until you manually review every weapon mod, outpost item, and other craftables and manually turn them off yourself.

Some loving baffling decisions here, but it's a really solid 7/10 if you want to turn your brain off and kill whatever "spacers" are supposed to be in randomly generated abandoned bases. I am glad I tried it out.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Starfield has the "old Earth hunting rifle," which is actually the VSS Vintorez, a subsonic Soviet spec ops assault rifle with a built-in suppressor (and one of my favorite video game guns ever since I found one in STALKER). Unfortunately, the scope's crosshair is just a thin, black, inverted V that's difficult to see in all the dark-as-poo poo environments, so Bethesda doesn't get any credit for putting it in the game. Two steps forward, one step back.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Very late but I beat Balteus for the first time in AC6 (yes, I know they nerfed the fight in a patch). I even almost got him on my first try with the basic build I entered the mission with: shotgun, starter sword, starter missiles. Got him on the third try with pretty much the same thing but with the bubble guns on my shoulders.

Then the game crashed when I was reconfiguring my AC so now I'm going to bed.

God bless.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Whirling posted:

beat Signalis again. wonderful game, I absolutely adore the artistry on display with the environments and character designs, and I love that every character and story element can be interpreted in wildly different ways from what I've read in discussions here. however the devs (both west germans, to my understanding of things) appear to hate the GDR of all things, which is very confusing. from what I understand as a dipshit American, the worst the GDR did was have the Stasi harass you if you pissed off the state in some way, which is really quaint compared to the poo poo the FBI and CIA got up to in a "free" country.

I was slowly playing through this, too, and wondering why there was so much anti-collectivist poo poo everywhere. All the dehumanizing poo poo going on with the replikants screams corporate dystopia to me, but mystery solved I guess :confuoot:

Even Iron Lung (the submarine horror game by the guy who made Dusk and Squirrel Stapler) had some lore bits along the same vein, and that game was only fifteen minutes long or so.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

idk im in a bit of a rut. I think I’m depressed Becuase of long covid

Sorry, that sucks.

Have you considered some wholesome Nintendo gaming?

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

gradenko_2000 posted:

a write-up of a blind first playthrough of New Vegas

Oh hell yeah

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
They beat my loving legs with hammers.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Borrowing a post from the Games horror gaming thread. There's a $13 bundle with Stasis: Bone Totem, Pathologic 2, Alan Wake, and some other titles for those looking for horror games:

And World of Horror is pretty neat if you're okay with RNG and procedurally-generated games. I think it's like $20 full price, but I think I got it on sale a while ago:

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Speaking of World of Horror, go play World of Horror if you haven't already. Mechanically, it's not terribly impressive—kind of like playing the tabletop game Elder Sign by yourself—but holy hell, the aesthetic is fantastic. Heavily inspired by Junji Itou (though I think the sole developer is Czech?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfQ0KELzcqI

I haven't personally booted it up in a year or two, but it's supposedly coming out of early access on the 19th, so there might be a bit more to it than I described.

You could also find a way to grab the PC versions of Silent Hill 2 / 3 and update them with the enhanced additions without giving Konami money.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

a lot of great games in '23, we're spoiled for choice

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Whirling posted:

oh, WORLD OF HORROR finally launched. I'm glad there's more stuff to do, but it seems like the dev had to do a really hasty pass over the art to prevent anything getting copyright flagged and some stuff looks shittier than I remember

Good new av choice.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Jon Irenicus posted:

next up is maybe Cyberpunk but I just saw World of Horror 1.0 is up. anyone try it out yet?

I had a whole fuckin' post that just got eaten by the app. Short answer is that if you never played it, it's a really cool looking turn-based computer board game inspired by Junji Itou and Lovecraft. All programmed and drawn (in MS Paint) by a Czech dentist. Most of the music slaps, too. Some of the new art is meh, but most of it works really well.

If you've played it circa 2020 or 2021, there's going to be new stuff for you, but the core of the game remains mostly unchanged. New characters and old gods, etc. There's a giant hell pussy in one of the new mysteries. If you get all of the achievements, you can play as your neighbor, Kana.

If you want to see the new stuff, consider using an old save file because a lot of it is locked behind getting achievements. If you want to play fresh, you could also just make a copy of your old save instead of deleting it.

For more information, check out the horror thread in Games.

Have a cool new trailer (that is not at all representative of how the game plays, lol):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe4gVfZ1Q2I

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Buck Wildman posted:

one of the things with world of horror is that the magic system is absolutely impenetrable. anyone who has it down reliably needs to be institutionalized

The magic system is pretty straightforward: Lovecraftian magic is hosed up and it will gently caress YOU up if you gently caress with it and you should stay far away from it because only fools, gamblers, the insane, and the desparate touch it.

... but it might work for me.

Grapplejack posted:

I would start a new save file but like two years ago I spent like three hours rolling the RNG to unlock Miku and i'm not doing that again

I could probably just send you a save file. It's not 100%, but it has Miku and pretty much everyone but the priest, Yumiko, and the secret character unlocked. If you really wanted, there's 100% files out there on Reddit and the like, I think.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Hatebag posted:

interesting! junjo ito also started out in dentistry. something about staring into mouths and jabbing bits of metal in them all day must get people into horror.

I didn't know that

The dev of World of Horror was interviewed alongside some Japanese game publication. I'm hoping a translation pops up soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

MonsieurChoc posted:

The women officer toggle is hilarious cause it's clearly an attempt to placate the "historical realism" grognards while also letting the devs make big boobed women who can kill armies by themselves.

I think the "famous officers only" setting is for the big boobers who do army killing designed by the developers (good) instead of the created characters of horny players (bad) but I could be wrong. I'm not sure because I just always turned off all custom characters.