Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Ooh, comfort horror? Good question.

My non-goon partner goes with: Silence of the Lambs, (Kubrik's) The Shining, and Room 237
Mine are: Aliens and either Elm St 4/Friday 7

I'd maybe put Evil Dead 2 on there, but maybe that's just because I watched Evil Dead Rises last night. Not bad; I was surprised at how much I liked it. Sure, it's not perfect and I got some criticisms, but not enough to say I wasted time on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Catching up on thread -

FWIW, my spouse and I do a “30 for 30” October marathon (Halloween night is blocked off).

We made a list of 150(?) themes/sub genres/styles and, in September, do a RNG “draft,” assigning one to each day of October. The only rule is that each movie must be one that one or both of us have never seen or that broth of us have not seen in decades.

I’m happy to share some of the categories here if it helps get ideas flowing. For example, one we have is “Bright Lights, Big Kills,” which can be: movie must take place in daytime, or movie with A list actors, or take place in a major city.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Jedit posted:

So, Return of the Killer Tomatoes then?

That or “Midnight in the Garden of Evil.”

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Ahem.

I love many of the songs posted, but none of them see Lemmy beat the Hell Priest at cards and then walk away.

(Doesn’t hurt that the song is great on its own; independent of a movie tie-in.)

https://youtu.be/1M4FG1UXH5w

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Before we all move on from movie songs, this needs to be posted.

(I know, “what about Halloween?” Eh, I like this one better. And he did a music video four decades after the fact.)

https://youtu.be/SH2f4A4SVNk

Naked Man Punch fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 21, 2023

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Watched Holidays (2016) and - well, it is a movie, you can't take that from it.

Anthology movies are always tough because most are so uneven. So, yeah, I liked a couple shorts ("Mother's Day," "Halloween," and "Christmas" are all decent), and I like the use of vintage holiday cards as title cards but when they drop a Jesus Christ-Easter bunny hybrid that makes no sense but "ooh, look! We're edgy!" and
a goofy snake puppet with a loving pompadour , I'm out.

Bleh, Holidays. I'll make sure you don't come every year. To my viewing rotation.

That last thought didn't work so well.

Naked Man Punch fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Aug 14, 2023

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Poster Talk

I love for textless/knife stab version of "The Final Chapter" so much have it framed and hung up in my work office:

Yes, it bugs me that the mask is reversed and yet the knife is going through the [correct] eye. I get it in terms of composition, but as a series fan *shake fist*

Two other mainstreams I love:

*See also: the use of "Say My Name" in the trailer(s)

But there's also a special group of posters - VHS box art. I didn't like horror as a kid, so seeing them on the shelf at the video store was like looking at forbidden tomes. I'd peek at them through my fingers and then try to see if the pictures on the back were so scary that I'd have to put the box right back:

Are they good art? Maybe a couple. But are they a sweet nostalgia? Yes. Very yes.

Naked Man Punch fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 15, 2023

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Something I think about a lot is the experience of renting some weird movie that nobody else has ever seen (presumably because all the good movies were already rented) and having that become a cornerstone of your childhood.

Duck Soup,, no lie.

If we count teen years, then: The Kentucky Fried Movie, Blackbelt Jones, and horror movies In the Shadow of Kilimanjaro and The Killer Tongue

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

feedmyleg posted:

What are the most autumnal horror movies? Like if I want the cinematic equivalent of snorting some crushed up red and yellow leaves

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Kairo/Pulse was the one that properly shat me up after thinking I was too good to get scared.

Same - but for a whole different reason.

I watched it last year for the first time and what chilled me were the meditations on the early ‘00s internet and corresponding world.

The movie brought me right back to my young, directionless 20s, staring at a CRT screen at 1am, feeling a mix of connection and isolation, hope and despair, potential and squandered potential.

I joked after watching it that I can handle gross decapitations, but, poo poo, throw me some Igmar Bergman-level meditations and you’ll have to rock me to sleep.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
The Godfather often comes up on that topic. I agree.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone want to recommend some Twilight Zone or Outer Limits episodes that probably won't be on any Top 10 lists?

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

It's hard, because like 95% of Twilight Zone episodes could arguably be on someone's Top 10 (the other 5% are absolutely dire) but this should mostly be episodes that don't make it onto the majority of lists (like something like Eye of the Beholder or Time Enough At Last).

This. Like, I love "Walking Distance" the most, but it is on some "Top X" lists. Same with "Nightmare as a Child," "Nothing in the Dark," and "The Hunt" (and other eps. goons have mentioned). But I'll throw one up here that doesn't come up a lot because it's from the 1985 revival - "I, of Newton" starring Sherman "George Jefferson" Hemsley and Ron "Shepard Book" Glass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoQ6ZC8EUQ0

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Where to go after that? S4 has to be either in space or Chucky has access to a time machine.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Biff Rockgroin posted:

How do you guys usually decide what you're going to watch for October?

I usually just set up everything I haven't watched in front of my TV and then randomly pick from there.

I tried to specifically plan each movie out one year, but it didn't feel as fun, and I like to have friends over and let them choose so they feel like they're involved.

My spouse and I do a random 30 day set from a list of 110 categories we developed. Then we look for movies that fit that day’s theme somehow.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

What are some good deep sea horror movies?

The Deep House is a mixed bag. It’s impressive from a technical aspect (production built and sunk an entire villa, then filmed the movie from within it) but the acting isn’t strong. I recommend it as a one-time watch.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
There is only one F13 music piece that should be enshrined and it's Manfredini's opening to P3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6P4iatMl7M

I also watched pt. 4 in my office today and no matter how many times I watch, I never stop loving Ted White as Jason. (Hodder, is the gold standard, obviously, but the J-dog had almost always had good stuntmen.)

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Tomorrow kicks off my family's 3rd annual "30 For 30" marathon and while we've got a third of the films slotted,there's still a ways to go. Since y'all have already come up with some good recs, I'd be happy for more suggestions.

(Our categories are meant to be a little vague to make for some leeway and we try to avoid stuff we've already seen. For example: "Trick or Treaters" - we've watched all of the Halloween franchise and Trick R' Treat. So what else would go there?)

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Baron von Eevl posted:

the two sleeping bag deaths are each like only half credit (one by not having any gore, the other by not actually being anyone dying).

The "remake" does a more gruesome variation. But I understand what you mean and I get it.

Part III is mixed: I LOVE the final fight and watching Jason gets just loving clowned by Chrissy at points, and a couple of the other kills are good. But the whole "who was the man in my past/it was him" is incongruent with all the franchise lore and, gods help me, I hate Shelly. So much.

(Not the actor. I applaud him and his off-screen law work. Helping fans understand the rights issues was a nice gesture. I just hate Shelly the character.)

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Thanks for the suggestions so far, all. Already added a few to our list (Hellions, Funny Games (2007), and Jane Arden's The Other Side of the Underneath.)

We did Behind the Mask two years ago for "Autumn Vibes" and had a great time with it and it's hard to not grow up in the '80s and not know whether Wolfman has nards or not. ;)

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Phy posted:

Haunted houses in actual "castles" are fun!

Okay, I give up - where's Riff-Raff in those photos?

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Doing my family "30 for 30" marathon and I cannot, in good conscience, recommend Hellions (2015) to anyone. I'll probably say the same about Pet Sematary: Bloodlines today, but at least I sandwiched Hereditary in between them. Never seen it before and woo, that movie goes hard.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Finally starting into 30 Coins season 2 (just finished episode 4).

I love how utterly batshit and unhinged this show is and how it doesn’t hide or run from that aspect.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Shrecknet posted:

Hey so Evilspeak basically makes the case for Satan worship, huh?

Yep.

The scariest thing in that movie, though, is a shirtless, sweaty Luca Brasi

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Apologies if I missed it, but I don't think I saw The AV Club's "top 30" posted yet:

https://www.avclub.com/the-best-horror-movies-of-2023-1850375041

It has few I haven't seen on other lists (like Variety's). Namely The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster, which I put on my personal 2023 best. Mighty fine.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

CelticPredator posted:

Looking it up or course Jason goes to hell fucks with it. Saying it’s set in Connecticut lol

Hmph. Another reason for me to not consider that movie canon. :colbert:

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

ruddiger posted:

Dang, I was pretty disappointed in Destroy All Neighbors. I guess it was too much to expect anything even close to Freaked.

Echoing this (sadly). I like the acting (can't think of anyone who phoned it in), there are some genuine chuckles, and its obvious the cast and crew are having a blast. But then there's a repeated Mystery Science Theater 3000 reference as a plot point, and just an overall "it's fine" quality to the movie that keeps it from going awesome-r.

The best part may be Will and the security guard and that's likely due to Jonah and Kumail's chemistry and history on The Meltdown.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Did anyone ever watch that movie shot in Disneyland guerrilla style? Was it worth a poo poo?

Shrecknet posted:

escape from tomorrow and it's real dumb and bad

Whew. For a moment I thought y’all were referring to The Florida Project. The final shot(s) we’re done with a guerrilla iPhone recording inside Disney World. That is real emotional and good.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
I’ll put Stand By Me on said list. The train dodge scene is obvious, but if we broaden the idea of horror, there’s a lot in that movie. For example, even though it’s a dream, Gordie’s father - at his oldest son’s funeral - looking at the surviving child and saying, “It should have been you.” Or Chris’ breakdown in realizing both how adults betray children and how his poverty/family rep will define every aspect of his life.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

…That and his weird black maid short story are honestly such terrible loving choices from him, drugs don't make you do that poo poo unless you're already sick inside…

A lot has probably been written on King and race. If there isn’t, there needs to be.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Before the thread goes on too quick -

If you enjoyed the original IT, check out the documentary Pennywise: The Story of IT.

The doc isn't the best (too unfocused at times), but there is a great discussion about that polarizing finale spider puppet and the makers really give Tim Curry his flowers. That made my Gen X'er heart happy.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
I suspect King will one day make the "Ivory Tower" level "American Lit. canon" well after this century (and we're all dead). Maybe a little quicker now that Harold Bloom is dead, but still not in my lifetime.

What the academy will say about him, I have no idea, but I'd still put money on him being in official reading lists over a lot of others in the last fifty years. Maybe not Tom Calncy but definitely over Koontz, possibly even Grisham.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Great short story and novella writer imo, his strength is in short form. Obviously if we're talking just horror the list completely shrinks.

I'd also put his non-fiction - Danse Macabre and On Writing - up there. Yeah, they may not hit the levels of lit crit theorists or a practical book like The Poet's Companion, but they're solid, accessible reads.

Kind of like how all Poe's attention is on his stories, but not on his Shakespeare crit.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
VHS cover art question:

Usually my memory for this stuff is good, but drat if this one isn't annoying me. I cannot recall the movie name to look it up and put it in a queue.

The VHS cover (maybe poster art as well) showed a photo(?) of large office building at twilight, with windows lit up in the shape of a human skull. It would be a mid-to-late '70s to mid-to-late '80s movie, maybe Canadian, and may include the words "Hell," "Hospital," or "Hotel."

Google searches are stumped so far, but I know I saw it up on Netflix a few years ago and in video stores as a kid. Any idea(s)?

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Well, then. Don't I feel like an rear end now. ;)

Um, here, some content:

Finally saw No One Will Save You this week. It's okay. The concept is great, there are a couple of good chase moments and stunts, but that ending - Look, as a Twilight Zone devotee, I get it. But I didn't LIKE the way it was done.

Also saw Censor tonight. Pacing felt a little slow, but the last 1/3 is pretty, with at least one good practical kill. Also, it does a good job capturing that excessive era of British "video nasties" censorship. Scariest thing, though, is just seeing Margaret Thatcher again. *Sideshow Bob shudder*)

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Paul Zaza double shot:

https://youtu.be/y3V5vbfTPsc?si=ftwE868CIoNsVsOs

https://youtu.be/IuY7GsM6tvE?si=asHlelkJ9n_akVzX

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Still the best kaiju song, even if Hollywood has completely ignored its need to be on a soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/myqSETD5_bs?si=5SF_vuGIiILMmRMS

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

CelticPredator posted:

It was in Godzilla king of the monsters

I stand corrected. Thank you.

(I have watched very few of the G-man's movies.)

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

databasic posted:

which is your favorite ‘Repo’: (1) the 1984 punk classic pseudo sci fi film featuring Emilio Estevez or (2) the 2008 original LA stage production-turned-cinematic rock opera featuring a balls-to-the-walls all star cast that still throws me for a loop.

(3)

Last Voyage of the Demeter is on Paramount + now.

The Good: It takes that tiny Stoker sub plot and makes a decent movie out of it. And some of the lines are good writing. Not great, but good.
The Bad: The practical and post-prod CG FX teams did not work close on the film and it shows. One shot will look good, the next, uh, not-so-good. Or neck wound prosthetic looks good; computer blood does not.
The Ugly: I couldn't get past some very large logic holes - even for a horror movie. Example: "Now we know where it sleeps." Hours later, in daytime. "We have no idea where to find it!" Also, no Dracula "Blah! Someone disturbed my bed! They must know where I sleep! I must switch it up on them!"

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Leatherhead posted:

As a dude who loves both musical theater and industrial music, I SHOULD love Repo! but it's so, so bad. All the songs suck, it's shot pretty badly, and it just sort of limps from scene to scene. Worst of all, poor Anthony Stewart Head is really going all out with a genuinely great performance.

Yes! I was all set to love it because, on paper, it felt tailor made for young Naked Man Punch. But I saw it two years ago and, oh boy, did I hate it.

The songs still come up on MusicChoice's annual October playlist and like Glee's covers of "Rocky Horror," I count the seconds until they're over.

Side note: I also watched Phantom of the Paradise for the first time a week later and hated -- the fact that I did NOT see when I was, like, nineteen, because I'd have worn out two copies of the soundtrack by now. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if i were to do a aliens what if it would be... what if alien resurrection was good

Similar - #3 but without studio/suits interference. There’s a really good setup in there but every decision feels like it was then redone by committee. Ugh.