Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1394498097254965249

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyone got a link to the MLB.tv sharing thread? I always forget which sub forum it's in.

MEET THE TEAMS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027936

https://i.imgur.com/5GipB5U.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

My team may be in 3rd in our division, but the AL central should all be ashamed of themselves.

I'm perfectly happy with the Twins being 10th in run differential (and both the teams directly ahead of them have played more games) and am looking forward to nature healing as they play one of the easiest second half schedules in the league.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MrMojok posted:

What’s bad about the “Tungsten-arm” tweet is that Trout will never in a full season hit within 300 points of .580

Mike trout has hit within 300 points of .580 in literally every year of his career outside the first one where he didn't even play enough to not count as a rookie the next season.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

You mean you don't like winning a 8-1 blowout and a 1-0 game of squandered chances, and then losing 2-1 with our actual closer blowing the save?

That's outscoring em 10-3!

:negative:

I'm gonna be honest, I don't really care how we do it if we win a series. It's losing a series outscoring the other team 10-3 that would drive me insane.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1676663562771615747

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

They improved on every one of these tonight

Five years without a CGSHO and then 2 in as many weeks lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Captain Log posted:

Also, why are the Polar Bear and J-Rod paired in the first round of the Derby? Those are two of the guys who would probably put on the biggest show throughout the competition.

Seeding is based on current HR totals at the time the field is set iirc

Also the game is in the middle of the season to try and drive casual fan interest for the second half of the season I would assume.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

We’re like 8 years into this HRD format and they still haven’t figured out that regular season home run totals are not a good way to seed guys for this

I get them not wanting to be accused of media bias in the "seeding" so it's certainly the most fair way to do it if you're insistent on doing a full 8 man bracket but your idea from earlier is still better.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

elentar posted:

seriously the HR Derby should be as ludicrous as possible, doctor the balls to make them go farther, who cares

Remembering when they didn't use the humidifier for the derby baseballs when the asg was in Colorado a couple years ago. That was so good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

MLB draft starts on Sunday. If you have an Athletic sub, here's KLaw's top 100 with writeups: https://theathletic.com/4584350/2023/07/06/mlb-draft-ranking-prospects-2023-crews-law/

Still can't believe the Twins moved up eight slots in this thanks to the new lottery lmao

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

They're also very likely to use that pick on someone outside the established top 5, but yea, it owns

Based on stuff I've seen, I don't think that's true unless you've been reading actual reports saying so instead of just assuming they'll cheap out

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

It's not about cheaping out, I dunno why you would assume that???

Because I've lived around kfan listeners my entire life so I've been conditioned

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

I'm pretty sure the Twins never have either.

:supaburn:

your First Place Minnesota Twins split a four game series there earlier this year en route to winning the season series against the Yankees and, later, the Astros

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

Marlins optioned Eury Perez. He's an ace but he just turned 20 and has already blown past his career high in IP. Gonna be interesting to see how they manage his innings.

He's still got 25 IP to even pass his career high that's hardly blowing past it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

He pitched in AA for a month before getting called up.

I missed that my bad

But yeah I don't think shenanigans either

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1677782952363655171

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1677768419116974082

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paracaidas posted:

bUt aRRaEz

I mean Arraez is still better this year and would be a needed upgrade to the twins offense but he'd also be replacing guys who have been our best hitters this year (Julien, Solano, Kiriloff) because of position overlap whereas Lopez is replacing....I dunno, whoever our fifth starter would be without him. Varland maybe? Either way it's a much bigger gap.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

If this isn't the end of the Twins season I'll be surprised.

Like, yes, the Orioles are Good this year. But we've been getting fuckin shelled lately, and our bats *still* haven't woken up.

Unless there's some kind of ASB renaissance, we're gonna get shown up by the Guards AGAIN.

I can't even use run differential to deflect after today :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Redeye Flight posted:

The hitting on this team is PATHETIC and it has absolutely no right to be. The pitching has kept us afloat for months waiting for the bats to wake up and they have refused to hit well for more than one game at a time. Now it's finally falling down and the bats still are dead.

Even if it's just shuffling around deck chairs they need to tell their hitting coach not to come back after the all-star break

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

its messed up that we allow professional baseball players 4 consecutive days off in the middle of July

Vlad is gonna need that time to catch his breath

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

Robert Jr apparently hurt his calf in the first roiand will sit out the ASG and is DTD.

no apparently about it

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/1678875583151853571

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nodoze posted:

Manfred probably threw them in the trash as soon as she left

I was about to say, I hope she didn't expect the owners to actually get them

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

What's interesting about this picture is that that guy in the background there is not going to hit .400

yeah he's gonna hit .402

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1679506950952812544

eugh

At least Gallo is only on a one year deal but I keep feeling this dread that they're going to pick up Kepler's option because Falvey seems infatuated by the guy for some reason.

Meanwhile, Matt Wallner this year had a short stint in the majors, completely mashed, then got sent back down because :confused: and has continued to mash in AAA

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 13, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

^^^ do this for the Yankees now and it will make the Twins look great.

it's unfair for the yankees because half their payroll is a guy who hasn't played for two months and might not play for the rest of the year

the real answer though is 6.1 bWAR (e: for the four highest paid players, which is half the yankees payroll)

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 13, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

Well you can't really do the same thing with the Yankees because Rodon hasn't pitched and Cole has been good. I'm talking about their 6 highest paid hitters which gets you to 5.5WAR so far which includes Judge's 2.8 through 49 games. Without him it's 3 WAR total from 5 players making ~100 million this year.

LOL @ Anthony Volpe having the second highest WAR of the Yankees' position players with 1.4...

that's fair, I should have done it that way. Although the article does mention pace so that Yankees number is really almost ten compared to the six from the Twins players.

Also ~100 million is less than 40% of the Yankees payroll instead of over half like with the Twins :v:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 13, 2023

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Its Rinaldo posted:

Graduating a bunch of garbage will do that for those numbers

yeah when you slash payroll as low as possible you gotta fill those roster spots from somewhere and it's not gonna be free agency

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nodoze posted:

The Yankees have more than likely gate kept the Twins from at least a World Series appearance over the years

loving Cuzzi :argh:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Dodger Stadium has the only wall injury this year that I can think of

That's because Buxton is a full time DH now

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rickiep00h posted:

What's interesting to me is the "played for x and y" ones always have a zillion answers and I can never think of one. Part of it is that I don't keep track of transactions well, and the other part is that I REALLY don't follow the NL, so almost any time there's an NL team involved I'm at a complete and utter loss.

Another part is if you look at the possible answers 95% of them are people who played before WWII

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Redeye Flight posted:

N: :sweep: Get out them brooms plural, because it's a TWINS SWEEP, BABY! :sweep:

V: Yes, yes, against the A's, I know. It still had some close games for God knows what reason. The important thing is that it happened and we have gained ground, FINALLY, on the Best Division in Baseball -- shoutout to the Rangers, sorry Guards. If we can actually start pulling away from .500 I'll be ecstatic. Who's up next?

*checks notes*

Aw, crap, them? We gotta go fight Chaos itself? The other team constantly stuck as via gravity to .500?

Nuts. And I like the Mariners, too. Well, such is baseball. Get ready, Goms, we're coming to town!

All of the games were close games lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Milovan Drecun posted:

There was basically no way the Twins could come out of that series and satisfied anyone. Every game could have been blowout victories and it would have just been, "well, it's the As"

Enjoy the victories, RF, that's the point of the thing

I'm absolutely satisfied with a sweep no matter who we're playing

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

anyway here's a nutshot

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1680700490651258880

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1681016101549817857

unrelated: the Twins need to put Buxton on the IL with a made up injury or something because the dude cannot hit at all right now and people who can are being forced to sit because he's taking up the DH slot.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Peggy Edson posted:

the Twins suck poo poo and should be nowhere near the playoffs so they should just shut him down now

Are you a mcmagic alt

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mcmagic posted:

was i rite or nah?

I think rickiep00h covered it pretty well

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Peggy Edson posted:

I'm not sure what you guys are seeing to indicate the Twins are good.

The Twins

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Peggy Edson posted:

ok maybe but my heart can't take extending the playoff losing streak even more

the fun part is that the rotation being this good means that this Twins team is even more "set up" for playoff success than any trip in the last decade+ so it will hurt even more when they lose every game 2-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Good Dog posted:

11 teams scored 10 or more runs today. That seems like a lot.

Boston got shut out by Oakland, everyone scored at least 1 run