Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

This whole "autism post history scraping " thing is bizare, douche wolf bought it up earlier in the thread. The post is bad but acting like the nefarious deep gbs state looked back 12 years to find a post is just pure hyperbole, anyone and everyone reading the thread would of known.

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i don't think the idiot flamingo person is doing real harm with their posts and I doubt a month off would persuade them to not post things that get a reaction.

we have just gone through the whole "don't do pointless ramps against mild trolling" debate and it's not a different situation here just because the mods think this guy's on the good gbs side rather than the bad Outsider side on whatever weird red-string forums corkboard they have

I wonder what threads nooner likes

Iirc they used to ban nooner repeatedly and hed constantly rereg so clearly was well off enough to just treat it as a trole toll and not care. Or am i thinkong of nom epique

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Good and bad are subjective terms with nebulous definitions depending on the reader and the context??? *Monocle flies off*

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

"proving seth right about posting as a mod in SAD any% speedrun (new wr)"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Wasnt there a 3D paint for a while? Then i feel like microsoft dropped it quietly because it was complete indecipherable.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The nefarious avatar buying crew strikes again

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The schadenfreude thread isn't a mock thread, its more like a PYF that doesn't fit in PYF due to its content. I dont think trying to roll every mock thread into that would work, like, at all.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Endorph posted:

general politics threads in gbs are w/e but i dont think gbs needs a thread just about the ukraine war for instance

The cspam Ukraine war thread is full of wierd racist takes and genuine tankies (in the sense of "ukraine bad because us imperialism is bad") and the "serious" war threads in for instance GIP or D&D don't tend to like joking about the war. GBS is the perfect blend of war updates and lampooning the russian state and its leaders.

The holodomor thing in thre thread was wierd, jokes about genocides aren't really that funny

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Yeah, I feel like the point where it took a turn from "borderline, but mostly unserious" to "weirdly tribal was here

Which seemed oddly similar to a CSPAM thread title, if not the actual title and seemed like it was meant for more forums war nonsense instead just "oh those silly Russians" and subsequent posts after if seem to be on the same lines.

I don't think I needs gassed, I don't even think Toxic Mental needs de-IKed. But that thread can be a bit of a lightning rod and I don't want it gone because it was allowed to get out of hand.

If they wanna post Putin Chimps or snicker about Tankies, whatever, but turning it into forums war bullshit again should be nipped in the bud. And again, once legitimate content got posted, things moved on, but I'd rather it not happen again or more often.

Its worth mentioning that the jokes in question were because russia blew up grain and grain facilities in Ukraine specifically out of spite. Meta forums humour feels reasonable rather than immiediately painting it as a dig at cspam.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

A thing being bad doesnt mean another thing is automatically good. The post shouldn't of been deleted (how else are we meant to call him a dumbass) but that doesn't magically mean the punishment is unwarranted foe the bad posting.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Serious feedback: i dont think there is an issue with megathreads but they need some kind of moderation.

I suggest that the OP of a megathread (that they are specifically setting up as a megathread) has to be its thread IK and put some amount of work into keeping it sane.

If they get bored of IKing it, the thread gets closed and if someone else wants to remake it and take on the IK curse they can do so.

Simultaneously has the effect of ensuring someome interested in the threads wellbeing curates it, and also makes people think about "do i really want to start a megathread about something if i now i have to IK it", so should limit the number of throwaway megathreads. It also means when people get bored of keeping it curated it'll self terminate rather than get wierd.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

cumpantry posted:

it's not fair to anyone who isnt posting messed up stuff to have their words altered or wiped. im more than certain THIS USER WAS MADE TO gently caress OFF under a problem post is more than enough for most issues and im surprised to read some in this thread argue it doesnt matter

probe me, kill me, release me, but leave the history

Pretty much this, just edit in a big disclaimer saying anyone quoting or talking about the post is gonna get hit by twice the probe the original post earned.

The entire point the post in question got wiped was becsuse it was trying to stoke gbs/cspam rivalry to some extent (i didnt see it so dont know to what level) and the iks understandably didn't want that to blow up in the Ukraine thread again.

So it was wiped with good intentions but in doing so the reason it was removed was also wiped.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

So who is going to replace commiegir in the ukraine thread? Its already been shown fairly consistently it does need a few IKs to keep coverage of it consistent to stop it getting shitted up.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

The only reason anybody is pushing back against this is because of who it was done to. Nix posted badly, as usual for all the war threads on this site, but there was *nothing* truly objectionable about the post that was blanked and the fact that it was done so makes it look like a lovely gotcha (which is in character for GIR ime elsewhere on the forums)

That's a garbage way to moderate even at the IK level and there is no doubt in my mind that if the same had been done to the people in here complaining by some DnD mod or whatever they'd be all about a de-IKing in SAD

Quit with the forums wars and just look at poo poo objectively here, this thread was doin good

Agreed entirely, even if the intention is good the execution was terrible.

(Incidentally the IK or mod who was blanking charles bukowskis posts elsewhere needs looking into, if the allegations are true. A lot of the complaints they are raising seem to be "well it happened to me and I didnt care, so why should you care", and the answer is it shouldn't of happened in the first place and needs rectifying)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

You're also forgetting their key point of "The only people complaining are 'agitators'"

Other people's posts shouldn't be hosed with except for poo poo like doxxing, NWS images, or a post that breaks the forums, and if they ARE edited, then who did it should put why and alter as little as possible.

If people disagree, I volunteer to be an IK for a week and I'll edit all their posts and we'll see how it goes.

I'm ageeing its bad? Like commiegir shouldn't of blanked it even if it was coming from trying to moderate.

Whats Charles not liking some posters got to do with anything. Its an online forum, i would be astonished if everyone liked everyone else.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

nom epique does the most mild shitposting i've even seen and it's hilarious how his posting style annoys people this much.

Yeah, the amount of grown adults losing their loving minds because of the "GBS forum pets" is hilarious. Funnier than the shitposts, infact.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

don't recall anyone losing their minds, but then drone_fragger does love a bit of hyperbole

Oh?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Congentially lovely posters are like a small rock in your shoe. They aren't a huge problem in the full scope of life but the answer isn't to ignore the problem. You get the stupid rock out of your shoe.

Whenever mods do this it results in agro. For instance kirbykhan got a week long probe for constantly trolling the ukraine thread, and a bunch of people went to SAD to complain how unfair it was he punished so harshly for extremely mild trolling.

Now while i dont think nom would get the same response, it would raise a lot of questions about other posters who mildly troll not getting the same treatment.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol noticing that after the weekend the thread rating is 1.59 and also that fluff voted it a 2. very good

You can see who voted what in a thread? I didn't know that was possible.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Unsticky all threads and let the best and most popular threads flow to the top, a real marketplace of posting ideas (in seriousness there is a lot og stickied threads again)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

rodbeard posted:

A little while back someone posted a random right wing news article speculation on if Costco was going to stop carrying bud light because it "went woke" to the Costco thread. I don't know why people think they're doing a public service by telling everybody all the latest right wing propaganda but I think the mods should tell people to take it down a bit.

Because its funny to laugh at how insane the right wing are? People aren't linking like "guns 4 jesus provides evidence that christ would of shot Pontius Pilate if only he had a gun" rightwing scare stories because they agree with them, its becsuse its funny to laugh at the ridiculous claims and premises the nutters lay out.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

It's become extremely less funny than it was a decade ago, and I don't think mild online slapfights will change that

Fair. Perhaps we need a "laugh at hot takes / chuds / "influencers"" megathread and banish all that stuff there and then leave the big wet orange president thread for discussing trump? Clearly some people find it funny so "BAN IT!!!!" seems like an overeach.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Fajita Queen posted:

The most prominent poster in the thread getting outed as a pedophile and a couple other people defending him probably did more damage tbh

Lmao, what a twist

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

*while sat on the toilet* i'm emitting context right noe, in fact

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

cumpantry posted:

we just came fresh off the imgur apocalypse though, so is this a good idea long term? then again, i guess it's a case of what lasts longer, image hosting or a site under musks management lol

Well look at this way, meta owns the trademark on "X" in relation to social media sites, and microsoft owns it for gaming and multimedia. So there is currently a lot of lawyers writing a lot of briefs to, legally speaking, hit musks face with a half brick in a sock.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

my rules for the musk thread is to probe bloodlust and posting tweets from nobodies just to get angry them at because i think both make threads more toxic i think after the recent controversy involving musk unbanning an account for posting csam its more important than ever to probe for posting twitter nobodies because those are the accounts that will post that poo poo in the first place

when i first started someone posted a tweet from some rear end in a top hat and when you clicked on that tweet and scrolled down it led to a beheading video they didnt link to the beheading video directly but they through their negliance exposed another poster to it which is why i crack down on it. i think its a good idea for threads in gbs that involve lots of twitter traffic to crack down on that more and encourage common sense when handling twitter to prevent that since twitter embdeds arent going anywhere even if i wish they would go away

In conclusion, ban twitter embeds

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Sopranos is ruined by the ending. Its like, mass effect three levels bad. I know they had to end the show somehow but christ.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

*checking the agitators guide to posting* did you know in britain people routinely say "I'd like to deport all the minorities" as a colourful way of asking for a cup of tea?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Is someone actually invoking the GAS CHAMBER CHALLANGE?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Checking the rules of it Ralp is permabanned anyway so I guess its moot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Tragic, truly a case of goldmine just being an old boys club of who you know rather than a meritocratic repository of funny threads.