Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Love to have lived through 6 versions of this thread, looking forward to many more years here with my postin' pals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's still kicking around the US, there's a handful of new infections every month.

We thought we'd eradicated it here in Australia but we just had two new cases, although they were linked to international travel.

People I'm going to Desert Event with were talking about getting their mpox vaccines ahead of going but when I looked into it the still won't let AFAB people like me have one.

Luckily I plan to stay away from everyone and cover up my skin since I hate sunscreen.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Phigs posted:

Yep, this is the third time we've seen it now.

Understandable that someone would miss it though given the speed of the last thread and then its death.

Eric Ding keeps retweeting the guy with the bad data so I've stopped posting his tweets too.

I have no idea where to find correct info anymore now that Musk hosed Twitter up. :argh:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Ironically, if you wanted to catch covid and mpox at the same time your top three options are probably ComicCon, Sturgis or Burning Man :v:

Stay safe, Lacrosse :ohdear:

I've already survived 2 outdoor festival events covid-free, I'm sure I'll be fine. I feel that it's much less dangerous out in the desert than working in an office like I have been for the past 3 years. I stay out of enclosed spaces and crowds, and wear a mask when I'm outside of my own tent. Taking these precautions have worked not just for me but also the goons who have gone to crowded indoor events in a respirator without getting got.

I haven't been and it's the one thing I want to do before I die so that's why I'm taking the risk. I don't know how I'll survive much longer with covid running amok so I decided this year its now or never.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I hope all the doctors and nurses out with summer flu right now recover soon so they'll be nice and rested for when they go down with the back-to-school flu in a few weeks

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

StratGoatCom posted:

And that is the other reason to wear n95 or better everywhere, because if you do get snake eyes and get the golden bb that blasts through your vax and pax, there might not be anyone there to rescue your rear end, and with the retirement rates I'm hearing that gets worse and worse every wave, even before viral evolution is factored in.

I was walking to the bus stop in downtown Seattle on the way home today and this woman who passed me on the sidewalk had the nastiest cough as she went by. Even though it's 95F out and my mask is all sweaty underneath I kept it on the entire way home.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You should make your decisions based on a personal risk assessment. Also we have removed all data you might use to make a personal risk assessment.

The personal risk assessment is 'quit being a baby about catching covid and eat your Applebee's'

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I'm losing my health insurance soon, YouTube is my doctor now

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

get on Apple health it's been useful for me. I used chpw

I don't know if I can this year, I've made too much money and open enrollment isn't until what, like November? I have a friend of a friend who is a doctor and can get me health insurance info so I'll reach out to them for tips.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Zantie posted:

Yes to Apple Health. It's helped me out twice, once during actual unemployed and another when I was part-time without insurance.

Love to live in a state that cares about its citizens :)

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

DominoKitten posted:

New variant found in Israel, Denmark, Michigan US now spotted in the UK

https://twitter.com/lukebsnell/status/1692437750207611042?s=20

After so much radio silence about Covid stuff recently, the fact this is being talked about so widely is a bit concerning

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

RealityWarCriminal posted:

how's Burning Man

A hurricane is on its way to the playa so currently pretty wet

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

It's the same issue as absenteeism in school. A good portion of my extended family and social circle work in education and have for most of their lives, and all I hear is that they've never seen anything like the post-2020 environment. Kids are just out all the time now, nobody knows why, and it gets papered over because schools already didn't have the resources to deal with pre-pandemic absenteeism rates.

That's not my scene anymore but the things I've had people tell me about absences definitely don't line up with anything I experienced 10+ years ago.

When I was in school you could only miss like 10 days total, excused or not, before it was threatened to hold you back a grade. How are they letting kids move up?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

hey guys how’s every doing?

I took a job at K12 school so I can't wait to get covid every other week. I'm still wearing a respirator but I should probably start wearing safety goggles too with the amount of exposure I'm getting. Luckily I have a window I can crack open and they'll let me bring a corsi cube in for my office. Every day at least 1 student with a badly running nose comes to me for help, and at a potluck last week I'd say about 10-20% of the teachers were visibly ill. No masks of course.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

DominoKitten posted:

I think a set of regular glasses gets you most of the way there protection wise, you can order them without prescription lenses.

Perfect, I'm already getting the stink eye for being the only weirdo in a respirator. It's just the usual where people assume I'm the sick one and am mad I showed up for work but say nothing about the people who are maskless and coughing up a lung.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I believe these are what someone in the thread recommended to me a while back, but I haven't yet been able to get my prescription updated to make it worthwhile to grab some lawl

https://www.zennioptical.com/b/safety-glasses

You might have to peruse the selection a bit, or check with a different supplier, but apparently there's lots of compliant safety-glasses designs that are fairly low-profile and mostly just look like regular glasses now, periphery shielding and all. Even as paranoid as I personally am, I'd call it slightly overkill for the average person, but if you're working with groups all day, especially kids, the small bit of extra protection is probably worthwhile. As mentioned by others, you should be able to get them in a non-prescription variety.
I actually have some safety glasses like that, I found them under 'nurse safety glasses' on Amazon. Unfortunately I scratched the lenses up a bit since I used them last but I'll try them out and see if I like them.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Maybe find a cool blazer and just become the stylish apocalypse teacher or something idk
Today I was working on a teacher PC before class when some students began to trickle in. One got real excited and asked "are you our sub for today!?" and I said "no sorry, I'm just here to check something on this computer" and the girl replies "do you want to be??". I look around and ask "what class is this" and the girl replies "social studies" so I laugh and say "well I don't have a lesson plan so I'd probably just have you watch documentaries that'd get me in trouble with the admin".

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

My lymph nodes got real swollen and I ended up with 'cobblestone throat' recently because I cut my leg on a hotel shower, didn't take care of it, and then it got infected. Clean and cover all your wounds even if it doesn't draw blood. :zombie:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Fwiw I have the same exposure level pretty often (but with glasses) and I’ve never gotten it while I was masked. I wouldn’t worry as much, unless you’re on an immunosuppressant or you did one of those “I wore a mask (except while eating)” things.

I think continuing to test is good, and the outdoor birthday party is fine. More ventilation indoors can’t hurt, but I wouldn’t go nuts with it if the heaters can’t keep up or something. I would let my mom make the call about indoors vs. outdoors, since it’s cold.

I agree. I was sitting in a small office with a visibly sick student and two visibly sick teachers while trying to troubleshoot the teacher's PC earlier. I've been exposed to many sick people over the last several weeks and haven't gotten sick. I wear the KN95 ear loop respirators people here hate so much and even with a subpar mask I haven't gotten covid. I have sick people breathing on me all day and it's done its job. Trust in your respirator.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

https://x.com/1goodtern/status/1755494099103154222?s=46

new study saying long COVID brain changes usually become noticeable a month after infection in kids

tern seems to think brain changes 4 weeks post COVID, heart and abdomen 6 weeks

The student in the room with me today was getting coaching on how to remember their school work. I overheard the teacher suggest using a personal calendar. I don't have any history on anyone here but I wonder...

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Shiroc posted:

As long as they're the newest ones, Moderna is probably still marginally better between the two but if you can get Novavax it is probably the best of all.

I heard that Novavax was better so I went out of my way to find it. The only place that had it locally to me was a CVS in a Target and they were surprised I asked for it. It took extra time to get my shot because they had to find a vial that wasn't expired :lol:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Zugzwang posted:

It's also recommended if you are having a kid or will be around small kiddos, because immunity from the pertussis part of the shot decays in a few years.

I hope I don't catch something from my new job before my health insurance kicks in :zombie:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

so it turns out the school district I work for has a covid dashboard that's updated weekly on Mondays but because nobody tests anymore, the stats for my school say 0 staff and 0 students with covid. Just today I overheard a student in the hall shout 'EVERYONE IS SO SICK' but if you don't test it's not covid so nobody cares :shrug:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Well, at least nuking the brains of the next generation gives me better job security.

Just don't change jobs or you'll have the problem I'm having where the person training me doesn't have any brain cells left

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Why Am I So Tired posted:

They're going to ban masks next, aren't they

I stepped into the lobby of a gas station and the guy ahead of me asks the clerk 'have you gotten robbed lately' and I can't help but think he was insinuating I was about to rob the store because I had a mask on

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

mdemone posted:

8+month pregnant teacher at my school today, shows up with a surgical mask because she has active Covid

we are all going to die

I couldn't hear the full conversation but today a teacher was talking to another just outside my office about how sick they were. The other teacher replied that they hoped they felt better soon.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I've noticed the teachers I work with now are much more hostile to me than previous end users I've worked with. I can't tell if it's because they hate the technology department personnel, or if it's because I wear a respirator at all times. I suspect it's the latter. If I poke my head in a room before school to mention something real quick the teachers act real mad.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Pingui posted:

Perhaps your youthful appearance makes them associate you with an annoying student asking them questions in the teachers lounge.

I had a student think I was another student when I first started so that's certainly possible. I don't know how to talk to children so I talk to them like they're my peers (like I don't put on the 'talking to a little kid' voice). Apparently the students really appreciate that about me haha.

Also I poked my head in to a empty classroom with an open door to follow up on a ticket as I was walking to the copy room so it's not like I was interrupting anything for more than 10 seconds

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Parity warning posted:

you did a driveby lockdown

Well I can't get anyone to read emails so that's the only way I can get people to respond

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

HoAssHo posted:

Uhh you guys, there appears to be something loving crazy going around that isn't testing positive for covid, flu or rsv. it's sending the residents at this old folks home I work at out to the hospital way more than we ever had with covid (post vaccine, i mean). It's knocking out the staff too.

Sorry I'm not up on my pestilence news these days. Do you guys have any idea wtf is happening?

NeonPunk posted:

It's covid.

Or it could be measles... eh, probably more likely covid

https://x.com/StephTaitWrites/status/1760729800073990471?s=20

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

https://x.com/j_n_foster/status/1768367505641529574?s=20

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Webbeh posted:

this state-to-state drip feels oddly familiar....

and yet I can't say anything about it to my friends and family lest I look like an insane person to be concerned about any of this :psyduck:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Ugh, a friend just posted on social media that someone was filming her on public transport because she was wearing a mask, and fake coughing to try and get a reaction out of her.

This is a major reason why I don't go to out in public anymore

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I've always wanted chickens as pets and now that I finally have the chance I'm trying to decide if building a coop and getting a few hens would be a terrible idea or an amazing idea. Goons?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Platystemon posted:

It’s a good idea.

Don’t listen to the haters.

Thanks :) I spoke to a bird vet about this and they said if I keep my chicken run covered they should be safe from H5N1.

Besides, if we're all about to die I might as well get a little bit of joy before the end

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

I had an arborist come by to look at some problem trees on my property, and during his visit he mentioned his allergies were giving him brain fog. I've had hay fever my entire life and don't ever remember it making me stupid.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

an owls casket posted:

It happens. I had it really bad a few years in a row prior to covid.

That's a relief, I took a big step backwards when I heard him say that, and I wasn't even standing all that close

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

DominoKitten posted:

On advice from the thread, I was able to find Novavax at Rite-aid. The pharmacist balked at wasting a vial on just me but I was amenable and brought back two people the next day and everyone was happy (my goal was getting it for all of us anyway). I also got a tip about an independent pharmacy up north in the Seattle area carrying it too.

When I got my novavax they fumbled around their stockroom looking for a vial that wasn't expired. Apparently nobody ever asked for it. This was in a CVS inside Target at The Landing in Renton.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Tzen posted:

seeing this tweethttps://twitter.com/1goodtern/status/1786027708184515036then picking up my kid from daycare and nearly every loving kid has a cough
my household still testing negative but i continue to lol, lmao at everything
granted its england but now i'm reading Zantie's post so my lol, lmao still stands

Whoops, I missed the 'safe' window to go to to the dentist this year

Edit: yes this is England but the US won't be far behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Meanwhile, in the country of origin...

https://twitter.com/outbreakupdates/status/1786177124660826168