Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

congratulations and/or condolences :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

oh no

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Strep Vote posted:

Hollowing out a beet and carving a happy face on it and putting it on the porch to guide poor ol' wandering calibanibal home.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

RealityWarCriminal posted:

don't think that's an n95..
this is exactly how my teeth looked a few months after getting cøvid #2, wear an n85 people! (but don't wear pants, unless pyjama bottoms count)

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Rick posted:

Concierge Urgent Care feels like such a grift although maybe I'm missing something.

didn't Dr. Fridge get a position as a concierge doctor in NYC and that's when they stopped pretending they cared about covid? i remember there was lots of humblebrag posts of their penthouse apt before the eventual fridge diploma fracas

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Death of Innocence posted:

What are you guys doing for haircuts? Do you just hold the mask in place when you take the straps off?

sharp scissors, a mirror, YouTube, and a big handful of edibles

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

call_of_qthulhu posted:

period flu is a thing, fwiw. it's not contagious and it sucks

i don't know how related it is to actual period flu, but since i've been on estradiol patches i get something every few weeks where i poo poo little rabbit poops all day long, my body hurts, and i hate every single atom in the known universe. i tested with RATs the first few times it happened but it's always negative and it goes away pretty quickly so :shrug:

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a weird respiratory illness occurring in dogs across the US: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/ex...3FP2UFCEBU6F2A/
Experts are apparently recommending that people isolate their dogs and avoid boarding them over the holidays which is a DOG LOCKDOWN

people on dog reddit posting a lot about this and how their poor pups are lethargic and feverish with ground-glass opacity on chest x-rays -_-

i got vaxxed today in glorious Alberta a few hours ago and now my arm/neck/head aches in a good familiar way, although the pharmacist forgot to inject the flu vax. the pharmacy only had pfizer but my pharmacist sounded like he thought they might be getting novavax at some point so who knows

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

ngl this round of the vaxx is kicking my rear end, i'm getting muscle cramps now

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Well, one year after I got covid for the first time I'm in the hospital with a confirmed heart attack. 43 year old 6'1 225lbs non smoker non drinker. Yay

Five times vaccinated.

drat dude! enjoy this time to relax and hopefully they give you chill drugs whenever you press a button, get well o7

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

when i was in the hospital and my battery was gettin low i downloaded ebooks from libgen or it's equivalent and read them in battery saving mode with the screen all dim and the wifi off

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Cabbages and Kings posted:

lol this was just published

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37650700/

gonna have to read up on this while I wait around and hopefully recover. I'm prone to anxiety but I also seem to be prone to weird physical and neurological issues so I am.... anxious and pessimistic.

another thing to consider is that your brain is taking a beating as well as your body and physically needs to recover, so you've got to try and shut that down as much as possible, just strive to be as thoughtless and immobile as is humanly possible

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Maed posted:

you got this, you'll have to name change to FortuneateSexFart when you come back after it's successful though

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

NeonPunk posted:

So I've been hearing how ERs is being filled up with patients with mycoplasma. Isn't that the same thing that's also responsible for the sudden spike in sick dogs as well?

this letter published in the lancet back in 2022 seems diggity dang ol' prophetic if that's what it is:

quote:

These data show an ongoing scarcity of M pneumoniae globally. So where is it? The reopening of schools had little effect on the transmission of M pneumoniae in 2020, which is surprising because children are believed to be the main drivers of infection. Even more striking was the sustained suppression of M pneumoniae in 2021–22 after prolonged periods during which non-pharmaceutical interventions were relaxed or discontinued, while other pathogens resurged as an indicator of community transmission. Considering the slow generation time (6 h) and slow spread (1–3 week incubation period) of M pneumoniae, a longer time interval might be required for re-establishment within the population after the lifting of non-pharmaceutical interventions. We do not know when M pneumoniae will reappear; however, when it does, an exceptionally large wave of infections could occur as a result of reduced exposure, with a resulting increase in rare severe disease, extrapulmonary manifestations, or both. Continuous surveillance could help to alert to the resurgence of M pneumoniae.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanmic/article/PIIS2666-5247(22)00190-2/fulltext

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Platystemon posted:

“All our teams make an effort to stay optimistic, but I will say that once our virus division saw the vaccine efficacy data, they started asking for payment up front.”

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

meanwhile in Alberta
Alberta directed removal of COVID, flu references in fall vaccine campaign, documents show

quote:

The Alberta government directed the provincial health authority to remove the words “influenza” and “COVID” from advertisements for the province’s fall immunization campaign, and to wait before communicating with the public, as officials worked to launch the annual program amid warnings that cases of respiratory illnesses were rising, internal government documents show.

The documents, obtained through an access to information request, consist of dozens of pages of communications between officials at Alberta Health, the government ministry, and Alberta Health Services, the provincial health authority. They show that, in addition to ordering AHS to remove references to specific vaccines, the government instructed the health authority to limit information on vaccine benefits and efficacy.

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

so apparently those green Rapid Response test kits they gave away up here in Canada suck poo poo even as far as RATs go?
COVID test supplier received billions in pandemic contracts after submitting edited results

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Annoying / Scary personal anecdote

During COVID, our kids eyes got really gummy. They have had conjectivitus before but this seemed especially bad, and I ended up with it, as well (I was in close contact with them). No idea if just a COVID symptom, or a secondary infection, but I had a couple days where I woke up with my right eye basically sealed shut, had to wipe it and had blurry vision for a couple minutes; I saw a dr and used an antibiotic gel as a just in case. Hadn't thought about it since.

Last night I pulled a Ray Gun compendium book out. If anyone remembers the magazine, it had a Very 90s Hipster aesthetic and lots of 8-10 point font poo poo.

Anyway as I was reading, I realized that my vision in my right eye is significantly impaired; weird that it took me this long to notice since I'm right eye dominant, but the upshot is that if I am reading something like a magazine or a book with small print, my left eye can find focus and read it starting at about 8" out from my eye, and hold focus almost to the full extent of my extended arm.

At 8" where stuff looks as good as it ever has (this decade) in my left eye, it's a blurry loving shitshow on the right. If I go out another 2-3" I can find focus well enough to read it, but, barely. It's a night and day difference, I would struggle tremendously to read with that eye, and the other eye is no problem.

I am fairly certain this is directly related to that infection because I had a vision test about six months ago and got glasses, and at that time the determination was that I needed mild/moderate distance lenses but had no issues up close in either eye, and both eyes were the same.

Because I've got those results it will be pretty easy to go back and see if there's a change (there is) and figure out if it's something that can be addressed with glasses, but I'm pretty loving bummed; I feel like w/e we've been through here (COVID plus six other viruses, Sept - Present) has done demonstrable damage to my loving eyes, and, like, I need those to loving see?

keep watch to see if it's anything like a retinal detachment because time is of the essence with those

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

Rochallor posted:

:d2a:

There's gotta be some kind of thingy you can hook the machine up to, like a vacuum nozzle or something. Unreal. This loving country.

paying the doordash guy to lie in my bed and breathe slowly for 8 hours

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

louisgod has a tinnitus thread in e/n, there's a few of us. my tinnitus mostly gets annoyed by cannabis nowadays

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

what do you think the best forum would be? No one reads The Goon Doctor. Lol at the thought of me making a D&D thread in 2023.

there's the tinnitus support thread in e/n
Tinnitus Support Megathread - eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

yeah why not just squirt a little deer spinal fluid into your needle drugs while you're at it

quote:

Readers added context they thought people might want to know
Do not soak Zyn in deer blood and put it in your mouth.
never put salt in your eyes