Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
So, uh, what's the strat for finding a Novavax booster? Seattle area, if it matters.

I've got an appointment for Moderna on Saturday, but I'd love to snag Novavax instead if I could, since almost nobody else is getting it (meaning less adaptation to it, probably, in addition to the possibly broader protection). The Fed vaccine finder says nobody anywhere within 100 miles of me has any, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

maxwellhill posted:

In some profoundly unlucky way, I am COVID positive. I made it 4 years all the way until 10/15/23 before breaking my streak and losing this game in the most limp dicked way possible -- while bunkering -- after a busy year of masterfully dodging it on crowded transportation, in crowded public buildings, shared cars, numerous medical visits, etc.

Stories like this are what make me uneasy, especially since we're speedrunning Paxlovid-resistance mutations. My housemate and I are the most COVID-cautious people we know (we wear P100 or better filtration everywhere, don't have to leave home to work, don't go to restaurants, do our socialization online, etc.), and this thing's still so loving transmissible that there's the possibility of getting got because something went wrong.

Get well soon. That loving sucks.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

icantfindaname posted:

Serious question: what happens with other drugs with $1400 nominal price? Does insurance cover it? I’ve never needed them, until now I guess

Mine does for my prescriptions. None of mine are quite that much individually, but I'd be paying four figures every month if I were paying sticker price.

I needed a pre-auth for one of them, but that was it. Took a few days to come in (and loving :rubby: if they pull that poo poo with Paxlovid), but that's been it. I've gotten hosed with way more on covering medical procedures with my insurance plan than I have on prescriptions.

Kreeblah has issued a correction as of 08:43 on Oct 19, 2023

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

shazbot posted:

I tried to get novavax but the pharmacy bait and switched so I just got Moderna.

the unmasked lady doing the injections was very excited to tell me this wasn’t a booster and it’s just 1 shot a year now like the flu shot, no more boosters!

Technically she's correct. We won't be getting boosters any more.

We'll be getting new formulations for different extinct variants that the vaccine manufacturers won't bother to update more often than once a year, and because COVID is now the flu and therefore over, you shouldn't worry about the fact that, unlike flu season, COVID season is year-round and your only somewhat effective antibodies will be long-gone the next time you get your next shot.

We have the tools.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Pingui posted:

I wonder why that is :iiam:

:ms:

I know I've posted about this before, but my heart's hosed up and has been for years prior to COVID ever being a thing. But, since COVID hit, I've no longer been the only patient in the waiting room at my cardiologist's office under 60. I've even seen a handful of folks there who look like they're in their 20s.

Total mystery as to what changed, though. Maybe it's dogs?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Got mothed today. Costco ended up having Novavax available soonest, so I went there. No issues at all with insurance weirdness or not having enough Novavax on hand or anything.

I got lucky, I guess.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I think this was posted within the last week, but search didn't find it: is the best way to decontaminate a room with UV, or ozone, or something else; and how exactly would I do that?

I'm going to have various movers and installers and such in the house every day next week, and there's no way they'll all mask correctly the whole time. I'll be masked, but there will still be particulate everywhere, and I'd rather not sleep in a mask all week. What's my best course of action? Or is it as simple as a Corsi cube in every room?

When I had to do something like this recently, I just relied on air filters. I wore my respirator while they were here, calculated out the number of air changes per hour for my filters for the space they're in, and isolated in another room that the other people hadn't been in until the filters had hit my desired metric.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Oh, well. Too bad there was nothing we could have done better, or we'd have done it. Now get back into the office.

*shoves FOIAd CDC e-mails under the rug*

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Rescue Toaster posted:

I'm genuinely curious, what sort of price range is a 'concierge doctor' in? A few thousand cash retainer a year? Tens of thousands? I'm curious to what degree that's an actual thing, though we all joke about it.

Like everything else, there are degrees to what's available. My old doctor (before he retired) charged $80/month, which was stupidly cheap for that sort of thing. My current one is $270/month (I've got some serious medical poo poo that I deal with, so I need somebody who'll actually pick up the phone, which, because this is America, means paying out the rear end). Neither of these includes the cost of a visit (though my old doctor was willing to do stuff for free because it was less about the money for him and more about helping people) or tests or anything, so that's all on top. I do have my doctor's cell number, though, and can call her whenever. If you keep going up the chain, you get people who charge four or five figures a month and do house calls or whatever.

There's also direct primary care, which includes visits and tests and poo poo in the monthly fee. It tends to cost a bit more than a concierge doctor, but you also know what your total costs are going to be up front. You're not covered for anything if you need to get referred anywhere else, though.

Kreeblah has issued a correction as of 02:58 on Jan 1, 2024

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Spotted these guys wandering around my local shopping centre and 'observing' everything. (I made sure not to get their faces in the photo when I took this shot.)

They came and wandered around the supermarket and stood there going :colbert: while they watched the crowded line at the checkout slowly inch forwards. They weren't wearing masks so I guess they already marshaled all the covid??

What is even the point of them? Like, I'd expect them to just not be there because they remind people that COVID exists, but since they're there, what the gently caress are they even there for if they're just walking around, maskless, "observing"?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I haven't been poking my head in much in the last year or so because I've still been bunkering down at home and, well, nothing's changed (keep wearing appropriate PPE in public, and don't share air with anybody outside my household), but, gently caress, I really need to vent, and I don't know of a better audience.

I've been looking for a dentist for a while now, here around Seattle. I've gotten some good recommendations from folks, but the problem is, every time I look them up, they're out of network for my dental insurance (an Aetna HMO plan, meaning I get zero out of network coverage). Near as I can tell, the only places that are actually in network for me are big chain companies like Bright Now or Gentle Dental (who aren't gonna give a poo poo about COVID; if they acknowledge it exists at all, it'll be performative bullshit like wiping down pens between uses). And, it's been several years since I've been to the dentist, so I probably need some stuff done. Meanwhile, my health insurance is trying to stick me for almost $10k (that I don't have) for poo poo, and with that hanging over my head, I can't really afford to go out of pocket, either. Plus my heart's been hosed up since before COVID ever started, so if I do get it, I'm probably pretty screwed.

I loving hate that everything in this shithole country is a business. I hate that I can't even go to the loving dentist because people had to get their microwaved Applebee's so badly that we collectively threw the entire concept of public health in the trash. I hate that every time I visit my cardiologist's office, the people in the waiting room skew younger and younger, and nobody seems to think that's at all odd. I hate that teeth (and eyes) are not considered to be part of the body for the purposes of healthcare.

Everything in this country (not just COVID- and healthcare-related) is just set up in the most malicious way possible, and I'm so incredibly tired of the assholes who pretend any of it has any redeeming qualities whatsoever. I just don't know what to do here. I'll figure something out, somehow, but . . . gently caress.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah I hear you and share your frustrations, goon. The fact that even local vet's and doctor's offices are being gobbled up and gutted by private equity is extremely depressing.

On a more pragmatic level, there might well be a relative lull after this big JN.1 wave. Timing your visit for that would probably be your best bet if you can't find anything Covid-safe. (That's what I'm having to do, too...)

Yeah, at this point, I'm planning my visit for the next lull.

corona familiar posted:

in addition to the timing suggestions from others, have you considered the sticky mask nose technique or bringing an air purifier to run during your visit? if you're able to find an office that has individual procedure rooms it might be the best you can do

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsQKrpKOYY

https://youtu.be/VUJGYM894Bw

Oh, that's fascinating. I hadn't seen that before. I've got a pile of those on hand for when I have medical imaging appointments, so it'd be easy enough to do what that person's doing and just put it over my nose. That's a good question about the air purifier, too. I wonder if I can find somewhere that'd let me bring a cube or something.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Platystemon posted:

lmao that owns

[Recombinant SARS CoV] US researchers will likely freak out.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

The Oldest Man posted:

I'm not equipped to have a real opinion about it, but if it's true that would mean cost cutting brain rot was responsible for the origin of the virus along with everything else and if nothing else that would be very funny

I'm not, either, but it's the first lab leak thing that seems maybe plausible to me. I'm gonna be loving howling if it turns out to be true.

I love how we used to have COVID surges, but now we have COVID "upticks". Can't use the scary language any more. That might imply that it's still a problem.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

confirmed: vaccines don't work

Fake news.

The vaccine gave him the measles. :smug:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Steely Dad posted:

Not yet, but wait until avoiding it might interfere with holiday travel and shopping

Don't worry. We'll get the mild strain of measles when it hits here. Nature's vaccine. The one you want to get.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Regarding the measles thing, I got a full MMR course again as an adult a couple years ago, just in case something like this happened. I still wear my SecureClick or a PAPR everywhere, but on the off chance that that fails, at least I have a recent immune response instead of an ancient one.

Rochallor posted:

Imagine being such a dork that you catch the flu during the largest covid wave in years.

Come to think of it, does anybody know if those cool multi-infection rapid tests will detect if you've got, say, COVID and the flu and RSV at the same time, or is there some order of operations where only the first thing it detects will come up positive?

I live in a backwards country (the USA), so I've never seen one in person, but the only sane way I can think of to build one would be to physically separate the test strips within the housing. If that's how they're building them, then, yeah, they'd tell you if you had multiple things.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

super sweet best pal posted:

Why the gently caress is measles back? That was one of the big triumphs of 20th century medicine. As in, eliminating diseases with high mortality and permanent disability rates was one of the things that allowed modern society to get as big as it did, and if we let them come back we're all hosed.

Number of communicable diseases must go up!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

roffels posted:

What's the gatekeeping like in regards to MMR boosters?

None. Just go up to the pharmacist and tell 'em you want an MMR course. Skip the doctor entirely. You don't need one.

This is how I got a full MMR series again a couple years back. I got zero hassle about it.

Edit:

Mason Dixon posted:

Before trying Walgreens, make sure you don't live in a US state where getting the MMR vaccine at a pharmacy requires a doctor's prescription (there's a handful of states with that requirement, easy google search). If you're in one of those states, you'll either need to get a prescription or instead get the shot from your local health department. Either way, ask whoever's giving you the MMR shot to make sure it's not expired. I found out both of those situations are possible when I was trying to get one last month, so I'll be trying my local health department next (I don't "think" those have any prescription requirements for MMR).

Welp, that's news to me. That's some serious bullshit. I've never needed a prescription for any of my vaccines. I just have the pharmacist shoot me up with whatever I want. Though I guess I haven't tried asking for anything too exotic.

Kreeblah has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Mar 5, 2024

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Soap Scum posted:

i got angrily turned away the first time i tried to get it as an adult (in 2020) by the provider telling me "you're not allowed to just shop for vaccines." lol you sure are

next time i said i'm starting at an elementary school and didn't get further qs

I don't even know what the point is of trying to tell somebody that. Maybe it's because I've spent too much time here with Max Titers folks, but I can't imagine that somebody who really wants a vaccine wouldn't just find somebody else and lie to them to get the vaccine they want.

Worst I've ever gotten is, "Yeah, it's gonna be an hour wait while we get it ready. You good with that?"

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

MLK Ultra posted:

ran into this doing some pruning on my media.

thought y'all would appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EDr2LsNVdI

These are fantastic. Thank you for posting this.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

trashy owl posted:

I think this got firmly entrenched in the liberal psyche, yeah. So many people think masks won't protect them, only people around them. And they're not sick, so gently caress masks right?

And yet it's a thing that even children understand. I was in a McDonald's for the first time in months waiting for a to-go order, and my housemade and I were wearing our SecureClicks, as we do whenever we're out and about. Some five-year-old or whatever asked her what she was wearing on her face, and she started to explain that it was a special mask, and the kid's older sister (looked about ten or so) just said "Because they don't want to get COVID." and herded the kid away to wherever she was trying to get him to go.

Of course, my housemate and I were the only ones wearing any sort of face covering at all there, but whatever.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Gunshow Poophole posted:

That poster made a lot of excellent vids back when the rest of the world acknowledged covid existed, up there with Crusader and everdraed in my goon media roster

I vaguely remember a few of them from way back when, but it's nice to see a compilation. I've never seen all of these. I kinda bop in and out of the thread here because, well, COVID's still around, things still suck poo poo, and I'm still not swapping aerosolized spit with strangers.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Endemic? Did I hear the magic word? Sounds like we're all good here.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

:drat:

I can feel the utter frustration coming from this site, and I am here for it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

NeonPunk posted:

Nice, nice. In order to help the dairy and beef industry from the public concerns about bird flu spreading through the cows, they came up with a brilliant move

https://www.bovinevetonline.com/news/industry/aabp-decides-reference-cattle-disease-bovine-influenza-virus-biav

Just rename the bird flu to something else! No more bird flu in the cows :downs:

There's basically no chance that the cheese/sour cream/yogurt/whatever culturing processes are gonna kill this poo poo, right?

I'm avoiding any kind of dairy that hasn't had the (chicken) poo poo cooked out of it right now, but it'd be nice to, I dunno, have some tacos or something with some cheese on 'em and not have to worry about getting the loving bird flu.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

NeonPunk posted:

Why the focus on the milk? Remember they're only testing the symptomatic dairy cows, and they only suspect they're sick when they're not producing milk as much they did before.

They're not testing the beef cows at all.

I don't eat a ton of beef, and the beef I do eat, I cook. Can't speak for anybody else, but that's why I'm more curious about the milk products.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

NeonPunk posted:

Don't worry, the farmers are taking initiative to stop the spread.

https://www.producer.com/news/bird-flu-pushes-u-s-dairy-farmers-to-ban-visitors-chop-trees/

Oh hmm... Not seeing anything about stopping feeding them chicken poop anywhere in that article

Of course not. That would make number sad. Gotta waste a bunch of effort on way less impactful poo poo instead rather than make a meaningful change.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Rochallor posted:

Yeah, I bought a sipmask with the intention of installing it before my 14 hour flight, but that seemed like a really bad situation to try out a new safety feature for the first time and I just tried to hold my breath while sipping water. It's probably fine if a professional is using it, but I ain't no professional.

*thinks back to rooms full of unmasked researchers in conferences about long COVID* Yes . . . professionals . . . riiiiiight.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Why Am I So Tired posted:

lmao get a load of this absolute horseshit

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/Treatment-PDF_PAXCESS-Brochure.pdf

Thank you President Biden for giving us the Live* PAXCESS Representatives Who Can Help With Understanding
Insurance Coverage And Program Eligibility we crave.

*may have died of The Spring Flu

Available Mon-Fri 6 AM-6 PM and Sat-Sun 6 AM-2 PM. :waycool:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Clearly those newborns made some unfortunate personal health decisions and are going to need to take personal responsibility for them.