Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Stereotype
This poll is closed.
fall in love? 10 8.33%
have a transcendent life altering experience that elevates their consciousness to a higher state? 14 11.67%
take some cool photos? 7 5.83%
get jumped and sent to the hospital by furries? 32 26.67%
waste his time and money? 57 47.50%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

You should be a Communist if you think people having sex with Republican lobbyists is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
oh yeah the obama child slavery lawyer hiked out. someone go take his poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stereotype posted:

I’m actually having a really good time. this is probably the best time I’ve ever had

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

[two guys lay down at the crest of the ridge overlooking blackrock. at first they appear to be burning man attendees, but it turns out theyre just regular desert tweakers. the playa is strewn with abandoned vehicles and the twisted metal remains of various camps] my god...it's full of meth. they should have sent a poet

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Stereotype posted:

I’m actually having a really good time. this is probably the best time I’ve ever had

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

stay away from billy strings tour

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the playa's jammed with broken techbros on a last chance funding drive

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Apparently burners just drop all the trash they take out on the nearest town. https://www.kunr.org/nevada-california/2019-09-06/trash-and-burn-the-mess-after-burning-man

man this is absolutely perfect. the precise lens with which to examine the loser fucks who attend burning man: no, you don't understand. it's perfect out here. we're doing ancom. we're living in harmony. we're just humans expressing ourselves like we should be. it's all love and light out here in the playa.

smash cut to tech dipshits and venture capital reptillians dumping all their filth over the nearest small town of insignificant yokel nobodies because gently caress it not my problem, no garbage on the playa. time for the peon working for a minimum wage at jeff bezos' supermarket to get screamed at by his regional manager (with a sick burner tan, natch) because a guy who makes jira tickets for $375,000/yr shoved an RV full of garbage bags into the parking lot and drove off so he can clean up before tomorrow's agile standup zoom

all in the service of making the worst, most predatory capitalist ghouls on the planet feel like they've got a connection to other humans. at least prostitutes have the dignity of working to sustain their own lives, guys like stereotype and theflyingexecutive and whatever covid thread castoff was posting there do it so they can look at submental "art" (its rly big!!!) and have an outside shot at getting a handie from a white woman in box rows in a $1200 REI tent. loving pathetic! class traitor bitch poo poo. gently caress you.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

*buys carbon credits* boom, no carbon from our company

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al! posted:

i kicked burning man's rear end

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Al! posted:

i mean from an art historical perspective this isnt saying the thing you think its saying. abex was seen as a uniquely american movement, directly opposed to the old world french salon style of painting that was still very much what people thought of when they thought of "a painting". theres also a lot of other postwar stuff going on in new york that gave rise to the loose collection of artists known as abstract expressionists.

now if you want to tell me that the cia invented the category id be willing to listen but youd have to talk about the cia's relationship to clement greenberg, which doesnt seem to be in that article. this is a little different from "the cia invented abstract expressionism".

a lot of this is covered in "the painted word" by tom wolfe, which is a quick read

I'm trained as an art historian, but not practicing, I make art instead. This is correct, Greenberg is the key in all this, he, and the artists in his orbit were clearly heading in this direction well before the 50s. However, it is beyond doubt he had some kind of relationship with the CIA, how much isn't really known at this time (unless I've missed something, my education is fairly current, but I haven't kept up research since). In my training it was a given that the CIA was funding the movement, that wasn't up for debate. That said, any understanding of modernist art history will clearly show that you were going to get that movement no matter whether the CIA funded their shows or not, but the degree to which the CIA money mattered is up for debate. It is my personal belief it would have gotten just as big even if the CIA was actively trying to crush the movement. New York had become the center of the capitalist world, so much money was pouring in, here were these young optimistic and confident artists making exciting new art, well, new as long as you ignore the Russian avant-garde from decades before. It would have been a stark contrast to the abstract movements in post-war Europe, which lacked confidence, vision, and were deeply pessimistic. On a most basic level it makes sense, would you, a monied art collector (or launderer) want to hang out with a bunch of snobby Europeans that act sad and spend all their time with Satre, or would you want to hang out with a bunch of upbeat young artists that basically just hosed and drank most of the day?

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the playa's jammed with broken techbros on a last chance funding drive

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

bedpan posted:

remember that a decade ago was 2013 and not 2003

i am harry posted:

this is so difficult to do

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

theflyingexecutive posted:

gotta lot of work to do striking but if you're interested at all in bm, come out. I'm happy to give an insider's perspective on what happens here. very very little of the bureaucracy and public works are publicly accessible information, like the fact that there's a decent hospital with medical imaging and MDs on site.

the media only reports on "dirty hippies rained out" and Twitter boosts awful techbro shitlords or influencers with Starlinks. I'm in a weird position where I have internet access from the org and can give a perspective that's none of the above. for all the social media panic that people were trapped here and desperate to get out of a himanitarian emergency, only 15% of people actually left yesterday when the gates opened because of how well-provisioned everyone is

Post the 2022 injury report.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Virtual Russian posted:

On a most basic level it makes sense, would you, a monied art collector (or launderer) want to hang out with a bunch of snobby Europeans that act sad and spend all their time with Satre, or would you want to hang out with a bunch of upbeat young artists that basically just hosed and drank most of the day?

Peggy Guggenheim (daughter of Benjamin Guggenheim who died on the Titanic), who signed Jackson Pollack, has literal paragraphs about her promiscuity in her wiki bio lol

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

so it seems like art movements are more or less about wealthy people:
a) wanting to gently caress artists and get high
b) laundering money

co-opting any messages of class consciousness or resistance just seems like a nice cherry on top

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

op hasnt posted since this lol

hes at the thiel sponsored gently caress and suck, give him some time

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

crack pinging into a mans rear end at burning man

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

sitchensis posted:

Peggy Guggenheim (daughter of Benjamin Guggenheim who died on the Titanic), who signed Jackson Pollack, has literal paragraphs about her promiscuity in her wiki bio lol

Contrast that with Jean-Paul Satre and it just adds up. These people were going to be big because they were in the right place at the right time, and people liked their vibes. Being a fun group of people goes a long way to promoting a movement.

Just a thought, maybe if marxists handed people booze instead of Capital we'd see a lot more marxists around.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

AnimeIsTrash posted:

crack pinging into a mans rear end at burning man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtPuGw_rI-o

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

Contrast that with Jean-Paul Satre and it just adds up. These people were going to be big because they were in the right place at the right time, and people liked their vibes. Being a fun group of people goes a long way to promoting a movement.

Just a thought, maybe if marxists handed people booze instead of Capital we'd see a lot more marxists around.

i mean, why not both? its not like the russian revolution was fought sober

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

Apparently burners just drop all the trash they take out on the nearest town. https://www.kunr.org/nevada-california/2019-09-06/trash-and-burn-the-mess-after-burning-man

lol I knew that cleanest rave ever guy was bullshitting

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i like how everything he says is dis-proven within a page

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

also the links between the government and art in the 20th century definitely existed, the part that annoyed me mostly happened on dumb websites where instead of using this information to look at art critically, it was instead used for blanket dismissal of entire genres of art and music, which is boring

getting really into art sponsored by the nazis for it's merits divorced from politics.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I used to do occasional work for a company that makes giant art installations for festivals and safety simply wasn't on their radar

Is this the source of your username?

theflyingexecutive posted:

gotta lot of work to do striking but if you're interested at all in bm, come out. I'm happy to give an insider's perspective on what happens here. very very little of the bureaucracy and public works are publicly accessible information, like the fact that there's a decent hospital with medical imaging and MDs on site.

the media only reports on "dirty hippies rained out" and Twitter boosts awful techbro shitlords or influencers with Starlinks. I'm in a weird position where I have internet access from the org and can give a perspective that's none of the above. for all the social media panic that people were trapped here and desperate to get out of a himanitarian emergency, only 15% of people actually left yesterday when the gates opened because of how well-provisioned everyone is

Buddy we saw the income data. The majority of this party needs to be sent down to the country at minimum.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

sitchensis posted:

b) laundering money

co-opting any messages of class consciousness or resistance just seems like a nice cherry on top

This bigtime. Multiple artists I know are pretty honest about trading sex for career advancement, not even big advances, just like a solo show. Or for art sales from collectors. It can be pretty predatory. The high-end art world of course is infamous for being money laundering all the way through, that shouldn't be news to anyone though.

I would partially contest most art movements being about wealthy people. 99.99% of art that has been made has never been written about. Even today, most art never becomes "important". It is still meaningful and beautiful, it just didn't become "important". Clement Greenberg, who is at the center of all this, crafted a masterful narrative about art and how art developed and progressed through history. If you ever were taught art history, even in highschool, you were probably taught Greenberg's theory, though it would never have been named. In short, he posits that the development of art is linear, always progressing from movement to movement, like a baton, and that with the emergance of modernity art began to progress into increasing levels of abstraction. That theory implies, and it is also often outright stated that abstract impressionism was the end result. All art history led to that. The notion of a linear progression to art history, that centered european art, had existed since much earlier, but Greenberg codified it, making sure the world understood art belonged to new york now. Long story short, art is so much more than what you were taught good art is. It most often is the exact opposite. Go check out some local art shows, there are likely some amazing artists you'd love. No need to buy, just go see some art. Also art doesn't have to be for sale!

tl:dr - Your entire conception of art, and art history, was a CIA op. Ab Ex being CIA funded is nothing compared to the art history you learned in HS being made up by the CIA middleman.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

sitchensis posted:

b) laundering money

There is a really good book Alex Bogdanov wrote about proletarian art.

https://www.iskrabooks.org/art-and-the-working-class

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 6, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

This bigtime. Multiple artists I know are pretty honest about trading sex for career advancement, not even big advances, just like a solo show. Or for art sales from collectors. It can be pretty predatory. The high-end art world of course is infamous for being money laundering all the way through, that shouldn't be news to anyone though.

I would partially contest most art movements being about wealthy people. 99.99% of art that has been made has never been written about. Even today, most art never becomes "important". It is still meaningful and beautiful, it just didn't become "important". Clement Greenberg, who is at the center of all this, crafted a masterful narrative about art and how art developed and progressed through history. If you ever were taught art history, even in highschool, you were probably taught Greenberg's theory, though it would never have been named. In short, he posits that the development of art is linear, always progressing from movement to movement, like a baton, and that with the emergance of modernity art began to progress into increasing levels of abstraction. That theory implies, and it is also often outright stated that abstract impressionism was the end result. All art history led to that. The notion of a linear progression to art history, that centered european art, had existed since much earlier, but Greenberg codified it, making sure the world understood art belonged to new york now. Long story short, art is so much more than what you were taught good art is. It most often is the exact opposite. Go check out some local art shows, there are likely some amazing artists you'd love. No need to buy, just go see some art. Also art doesn't have to be for sale!

tl:dr - Your entire conception of art, and art history, was a CIA op. Ab Ex being CIA funded is nothing compared to the art history you learned in HS being made up by the CIA middleman.

This is a good post

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Al! posted:

yeah how dare someone attempt to improve sparks nv by dumping trash all over it

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Govt funding art for propaganda is not new, and didn't define the styles but def exploited them. Was reminded of the infamous "monstrosities of madness" show that Hitler put on to prove a point that abstract expressionism was deviant and gross, and staged this photo with all the paintings hung all cockeyed to drive the point home lol.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Gumball Gumption posted:

quote:

Athena Lamebull and her husband Gordon, run one of the sites. They have nine, 40-foot dumpsters, and for five bucks a bag, Burners can leave their trash with them. But, she said a lot of trash is left behind.

"I still see a lot of trash going through, even when we're done, I still see a lot of it," Lamebull said. "Some people, even when they leave here, they just throw it off the road. They don't want to pay, so they just throw if off the road."

Case in point, a large RV sits in front of several of Lamebull's dumpsters. She says it was abandoned a few days earlier, and she's likely going to have to call someone to tow it away.

dumping my used condoms and rotten cous cous on the side of the interstate because paying forty dollars to the garbage people was too much to ask

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
lmao@ no compassion for their fellow man
tfw u pack enough molly for 4 days and end up there for 6

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

are people still trapped there?

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I hope the CIA blows my loving head off so I don't have to read about stupid art poo poo in the douche festival thread anymore

Weka
May 5, 2019

Virtual Russian posted:

Long story short, art is so much more than what you were taught good art is.

I like Garfield op.

ram dass in hell posted:

lmao@ no compassion for their fellow man
tfw u pack enough molly for 4 days and end up there for 6

When an American sheriff thinks you have no compassion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

BONGHITZ posted:

are people still trapped there?

no it's the rest of us who are trapped in society's prison man