Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I wish the Dallas Cowboys a very humiliating first round playoff exit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

A girl I had a fairly massive crush on at school was pregnant at 18 with triplets within weeks of going to university

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I know it's not covid, but every single time I've felt I'm developing a head cold, I've turned to whoever my boss is and said that I was going home right then and I'd be back in three days time because I didn't want anyone else to catch it. Even when I got covid, I never left the house until I tested negative and then needed three more days to get physically right

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Aiden Gillen's accent in The Wire is so much better than whatever the gently caress he was going for in Game Of Thrones, though that may have been the point

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

thread is definitely living up to its title

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Decided to see if the godawful squeaking from the back of my car is from some boxes in the boot or my suspension is dying. Start moving stuff around and find that water has gotten in on my driver's side and the carpet covering has got mouldy and there is a godawful loving smell. Terrific

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I am incredibly well paid in comparison to how little work I actually do during the week, and I could easily go back to a field engineer role but traffic and endless gobshites trying to be funny are not for me

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

winter storm going to roll into the UK Sunday evening into Monday morning, 60mph winds and heavy rain

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/HighwaysSEAST/status/1748651835840180352

going to be a fun commute in on Monday

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

it's been from daytime highs of mid 30s going to low 20s at night (all in that weird non-celcius temperature) in the UK for the last week and a half and people have been losing their minds because it's not been this continually cold in winter for nearly a decade

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Crescent Wrench posted:

Worst movie-going experience would probably be the first Michael Bay Transformers movie, the only movie I've ever walked out of in actual disgust. I was pretty drunk, and I'd made the mistake of hyping myself up by watching the animated movie right before, so I was getting pretty pissed off at how manifestly terrible was. I made it to when Optimus Prime says "my bad!" before I threw my hands up (literally) and left. I'd been dating my now-wife for a year or two and I had to reimburse her for her ticket.

according to my girlfriend at the time, when Bumblebee, Sam and Mikaela meet up with Prime, Ironhide, Ratchet and Jazz in the alleyway I had the biggest grin on my face. Movie was ok, but good lord when we went to watch 'Revenge Of The Fallen' I developed a massive headache and wanted to leave after 45 minutes. That one absolutely loving sucked

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Quiet Feet posted:

The first Michael Bay Transformers movie was acceptable. Not even good, just okay. The rest have sucked tremendously.

first was good, second was hot garbage, third was bizarrely coherent, fourth was loving awful, fifth was "you know what, this is preposterous, let's lean all the way into it". 'Bumblebee' was great, and the last one wasn't as good as that but better than the Baystrosities

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m watching Fast X your seatbelts and I find myself not caring about any of the storylines except John Cena’s. He’s actually pretty funny

he asked the question that's never been asked in any Transformers media before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAbD32FUcjo

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Kalli posted:

Now Populous, that's a proto-RTS with some hair on it.

I remember playing that on my Amiga 600, the long forgotten stepchild in the Amiga family

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I used to work for the Golden Arches way back in the day, and wanted to know why the last store I worked at looks like this now:

turns out it was demolished to make way for an extension to the West Midlands Metro, though I also think this may have had something to do with it:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

Random survey time!

I know some people love them, some hate them, some are indifferent. Do you have a custom ringtone or text tone in TYOOL 2024? If so, what do you use?

I am currently using the Harley Quinn theme as a ringtone, and the first three musical notes signifying a MK2 fatality as a text tone. No thanks to iOS 17, which has made it much more complex than it used to be.

ringtone - A Praise Chorus by Jimmy Eat World
alarm - Dust Me Selecta by Gerling
notification tone - the G1 Transformation sound from the 1984 Transformers cartoon

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Air Skwirl posted:

It will be really funny if there's babies that couldn't crawl when Queen Elizabeth died and they are still wearing diapers when her grandson becomes King.

That's nothing, we had three prime ministers in eight weeks

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Apparently my sleep doctor's a big Star Wars fan.

that Falcon is $925 from the LEGO store, if anyone wants one and a smaller one is $95 when converting from GRATE BRITISH POUNDS

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

doesn't Gordon Ramsay love Burger King? I'm sure I read that somewhere

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

did something useful today and replaced the dipped beam headlight bulb in my ford focus, but sweet jesus it was more involved than it should have been. You have to unscrew and remove the entire headlamp assembly to get at it, which included very nearly threading one of the securing screws

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Cripes, even trying to get the headlight cover off my Subaru was a whole thing, the space was too tight for my hand to fit into and I had to yank so hard on it I was certain it was going to crack

Trying to replace a bulb in my old KA, which is small even for a hatchback, was a hand shredding nightmare and according to the mechanic who replaced the KA's gearbox, that was even worse in terms of having absolutely no room

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Seconding this. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll even fist bump nobody and scream "hell yeah!" as you weave your way through each warships' and sailors' stories.

can real life be spoiled? yes it can "Small boys attack!" :black101:

ok, this sounds right up my street

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I always forget that Michael Chrichton was the EP and creator of ER. He's straight up just the Jurassic Park guy to me.

The book version of the T-Rex attack legit got my heart going when I read it, it's just a shame the book just kind of runs completely out of steam well before the end

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The first time I visited America, I flew in from Chicago to Kansas City and stayed in Wichita. It snowed on the Sunday, had what I guess was a typical, many hour midwestern thunderstorm on Monday morning into the afternoon and was bright, sunny and in the mid to low seventies fahrenheit from Wednesday on, all in the middle of March

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Went out running this morning, as I have done twice a week for the last 15 months or so. Now I call it running, but it's more a mixture of jogging/shambling but it gets me out of the house and counts a physical exercise. Anyway, the night before my run I always check the weather to see what it's going to be like when I'm out and this morning's forecast was for 18-20mm of rain an hour. No biggie, I'll get soaked but it should be fine. Leave my house to no rain, and after a mile or so it starts lightly falling so I think to myself "ah, I might miss the worst of it". Oh how wrong I was, as within five minutes the light rain had turned heavy, and a few minutes later 40-50mph hour gusts were thrown into the mix and I quickly went from "gently caress, I'm wet" to "my clothes are literally dripping water, I am freezing cold and I'm a good 10 minute run from my house". After sheltering my the Napoleonic era sea walls down by the front, and the rain and wind eased off slightly, I ran as quick as I physically could. Had a hot shower which I could barely feel, had to wring out the water from my gear, my trainers are soaked and I'm still cold now some seven hours after getting back inside

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think the UK started an adult swim block in 2006 (maybe), so we got early ATHF, Sealab 2021, Metalocalypse, Venture Brothers, etc. Also, the re-dubbed proper episode of Sealab 2021 absolutely threw me when I first watched it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

a sexual elk posted:

Got bored and started working on that LEGO Republic Cruiser I posted other day

So started working on the interior
Original:

Wanted it to look more like a Star Destroyer bridge with pits and a walk way

What I came up with:

Filling in those angles was a bitch (mostly wanted to cover the underside plates and all the techinic stuff). Tons of strip downs and rebuilds to make everything fit. Gonna tweak it more but it’s like 85% there

I want the LEGO Titanic but it's nearly £600 and I also don't have anywhere to display it, let alone build it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Freaquency posted:

TVIV exists to give people who don’t enjoy TV a place to half watch something, miss all of the important plot and context, and then complain about it online.

Oh sorry it’s also for brain-damaged theorycrafting and for latching on to the dumbest, least consequential things and driving them into the ground

The Wire thread is good

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I am also endlessly amused that the Last Week Tonight voice over guy is David Kaye, who was both Sesshoumaru in the Inuyasha dub and Treize in the Gundam Wing dub.

also Megatron in most 90s Transformers shows, until he changed sides and did Optimus Prime for TF:Animated which is a very good show I should track down so I can watch the whole thing from start to finish

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

BlindSite posted:

I would assume any ship coming into port utilises a pilot and tower type conversation to make sure they're in the right place so it doesn't. Someone hosed up

people saying it lost power right before it hit the bridge. And the funny thing about pilots on ships is that even though they are onboard for their navigational expertise, the ship's captain still has the final word on orders being given, or so I've been led to believe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

bobjr posted:

When I went to Mackinac Island and saw the bridge that spands the two parts of Michigan they mentioned how the bridge was reinforced and small boats sometimes crash into it and run into a bad time for the boats, and the bridge itself is always fine, but I wonder how much you can even prepare when it’s a ship that big.

it's also 100m smaller and has a capacity of 50% than the Ever Given and the current class of Ultra Large Container ships

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Chain ferry you say? Surely you can't gently caress that up, especially one that only has a 100m span to cover

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Intruder posted:

I smoked from 16-37 with periodic breaks in between, sometimes a few months, sometimes a couple years, and I hope I haven't done any irreperable damage to myself

I quit when I was 35, mainly because I was unemployed and the price of a box of 20 B&H was through the loving roof and it may be hitting nearly £12 a box now. Anyway, I went to e-cigs but the company I went with first stopped selling them, I moved to Blu e-cigs and they were just absolutely loving terrible so after three months of using those I realised I didn't need to buy them any more and I haven't smoked since

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

If you crash a 200,000 ton container ship into just about anything that isn't a mountain, that object is going to lose that collision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ocTTkHqQcg

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

the only thing I know about the military in the UK from when we had the contract to fix their printers is that they all hosed off for the week on Friday lunchtime, a fact we absolutely didn't share with our schedulers. So if we were given a call to go to a barracks at 2pm on a Friday it was a cue to go home because we weren't getting in to fix anything

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

bobjr posted:

The news did run a bunch of stories about how everyone is coming for the eclipse and if you don’t get gas now you won’t be able to get it this weekend, so I’m not sure how much was that affecting it too

This happened in the UK two or three years ago. BP said they had to close a couple of hundred petrol stations as they didn't have enough drivers to keep them stocked, Brits took this to mean "we're running out of gas, let's go fill up" and so emptied out almost every petrol station of fuel in about two days

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife is on FX (likely to coincide with Frozen Kingdom being out in theaters right now) and I haven't seen this since it was out in the theaters.

It's… a'ight.

I'll likely wait for Ghostbusters: Frozen Kingdom watch it at home.

Meanwhile, I'll likely see Godzilla X Kong The New Empire on Tuesday with fellow goon Crosshatch, and I already got tickets to see Civil War on April 11.

I saw Frozen Empire last week and it was fine? There are valid criticisms you can raise against it, and they are very obvious once the film gets going but it is chock full of groan-inducing dad-style jokes which just tickled me the right way. I could say more, but I'm worried about spoilers so I'll leave it at that

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

The Pogues version of 'Dirty Old Town' is basically now the standard version of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Interestingly Wikipedia puts Foo Fighters in this post-grunge bucket, which seems harsh (if literally true of where Grohl came from heh). Then again I'm very meh on Foo Fighters for reasons I've never been able to pin down so maybe there's something there.

I believe this was the first time I saw Foo Fighters, which was on The Colour And The Shape tour in 1997

I had bruised a rib baby-sitting my cousin that afternoon - he was playing with some toys and then started mewing, so I left over the armchair I was on a little too quick and slammed my rib into the chair's wooden frame - so the moshpit that night was an adventure. Also, they brought Roger Taylor out for a drum battle with Dave on a cover of 'Sheer Heart Attack' because of course they did. This is what they played that night