Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Modesty, a withered crone. HA yeah right.

Also: THE MAN FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Drimble Wedge posted:

Caption It!

"Caption It!" is a new cartoon caption contest that runs every week in this space. Are you creative? Do you have a weird sense of humor? Then send us a submission along with your name and town!
Email entries to captionitcartoon@gmail.com or go to @caption_it_cartoon on Instagram to comment/like.
Remember to keep captions brief and clean. Good luck!

For the one on the right:
"The Life Aquatic is not a documentary"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Per dana simpson she's the top selling comic author in america. goes to show how powerful those scholastic book fairs are
I know when I was a kid I would buy my Garfield collections from those book fairs. I kept them for a pretty long time as well, the 80s Garf was really good.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I feel seen, I do the same thing. If my team is down I stop watching because I'm bad luck even though I'm nowhere near the game.

OneMoreTime posted:

I want the witch queen to never be elaborated on, but to just continuously show up everywhere looking smug as hell
Or she gets a Sunday narration and ends with something like "I haven't had this much fun at a wedding in ages"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Hey Randy Milholland, that's how you draw punches worthy of Popeye.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 6/28/59

This one is mostly correct -- Husqvarna sells a robot mower with a solar-powered charging dock. You still have to activate it yourself, though, and it doesn't do fertilizer or snow.

It is kinda funny that Radebaugh always draws solar collectors that look like radar dishes.
My cousin has one of those electric self-directed lawnmowers, and has solar panels to charge his house and electric cars. It kinda works like a Roomba, but for grass.

One thing that makes it very useful is that his house and lawn are on a rather steep incline where a walk behind mower is difficult and riding mower is not possible because it would flip over. The self-directed mower won't flip over because it's center of gravity is so low.

And photovoltaic cells existed in 1959, but radar dish style collectors just look cooler than black rectangles on the roof of the house. That said, there is a radar dish style way to generate electricity called concentrated solar power but that's more of a "power a city" system rather than "power a house" system.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Doomykins posted:

Other long running strips reintroduce a recurring character for an arc and the audience audibly groans. Flash does it about two months into a solid gold run and it's actually great. :allears:
I have no idea who Bones Malock is, but she just introduced herself with violence and assurance and she has a Furiosa look and is :perfect:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hwurmp posted:

She fought Team Flash in Not-Bartertown when they were first looking for Barin.
Ahh, I must have forgotten already.

But I did catch the "She would do just fine in Mad Max" vibes.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

You can buy a nice home from Blu Homes that gets factory-built and unfolded onsite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpwOUndGEEs
Sears was selling home building kits through their catalogs in the first half of the 1900s. The supplies would arrive by rail and then shipped to the plot of land.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sears_Modern_Homes

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Two pages in and Modesty and Willie are already about to wreck some fools.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Medenmath posted:

So it looks like the whole bit with Taloon back in 2017 ran from April 23 to October 22. There's a lot so I'm linking them rather than using thumbnails:

http://imgur.com/a/9r4A9gX
Reading the full set at once was annoying because it would go back and forth.

Also Karen is now the badass child of Val.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

lol @ panel 4 Alice
Cul De Sac dad is pretty cool. He heard Alice going around singing that and knew exactly what happened.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Ballard Street has a light dada feel to it. Nothing is serious, everyone is fine with everything being a little bonkers.

And a +1 to Smokey Stover with all of the thematically linked puns in the background. NOTARY SOJAK

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

thisusedyet posted:

I'm amazed a medieval child knows the body language for 'try me, motherfucker'
Arn has already killed people, he blackmailed his dad into getting him a sweet Damascus blade and he's not afraid to use it. And if he used it because someone was coming at him with a blade, Val would be even more approving of his son.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

My mom only speaks* Spanish

*speaks, sneezes, coughs, wheezes, etc

So good.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Car Talk:

CzarChasm posted:

That sounds like a luxury brand move.
I had a Plymouth Breeze, the cheaper version of the Dodge Stratus and Chrysler Cirrus, and to change the battery I had to remove the driver's side front tire. Cab Forward engineering baby!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

PainterofCrap posted:

Close enough! NASCAR uses a modified helicopter engine mounted on a pickup truck to dry the raceway pavement,

https://www.phillyvoice.com/i95-northeast-philly-reopening-nascar-jet-dryer/
And in 2012 at the Daytona 500 Juan Pablo Montoya was trying to catch up to the field under caution, spun out, and hit one of the jet dryers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkYxxh6C_jw

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Powered Descent posted:

d on Sundays with the new CK formatting.

Flash Gordon

YAAAAAS WITCH-QUEEN
Ever since Flash and Ming II got in a shouting match at the wedding reception I've been waiting for a Witch Queen Sunday. The look on her face as they fought was a perfect "Oh this is juicy!" She exudes even more style than the rest of the cast, and the rest of the cast is wonderful.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hostile V posted:

this is not a haiku. this is a 3/5/3 scheme. that is not a haiku. I have gotten baked and written poetry before and I am so loving offended.

Sensemilia
Really makes the mind expand
Dude, I smell my thoughts

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Wicked Gnomes

"There's been a clerical error" :allears: that is a wonderful pun.

But don't worry, Willie's gonna spend the night clubbing.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 9, 2024

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
How to tell while showing and also telling.

Previous strip ended on a panel of Flash pulling Bok out of the pit. There is no "All right, let's get out of here" conversation, instead Bok is in the foreground knocking someone out, while Flash is in the background knocking someone out. And in the center and midground is Bones and their accomplice on the outside who btw is freely handing over the GALACTIC CUTLASS. With a bit of dialogue, the accomplice establishes the past between them and Bones with a debt being repaid, explains for the audience how Bones orchestrated the escape by mentioning the comm link, and then fully establishes that Flash is now Bones's friend.

That last panel though. Amazing framing, and "You aren't worth my worst." is one helluva line.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

JethroMcB posted:

Cul de Sac

ngl, the 64 crayon set was awesome as a kid.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Selachian posted:

Neko Stover 8/7/60

That's a very Seussian elephant. That's a compliment btw.

Oh, I'm sorry, a very Seussian e'fan

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Samovar posted:

Can't say anything more about that Mexikids that ain't been said already. In some ways it feel very much like WAR in it's extreme... openness?
I think it's how both of the authors are removed from the time and have time to reflect that they can look back at those days and go "This was awesome, this was lovely*, this was just a regular day, here's some sidestream stuff that happened, it wasn't bad or good but it was memorable. I learned so much during that time."

That makes it more relatable.

*literally. for both. changing diapers and working in strawberry fields

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Today we have a banger of The Lord's Prayer: Baba Yetu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Sure, learn guitar with a song originally written for piano, that will work well. And is popular with Boomers, don't want anything written after 1980 of course.

SKelly, gently caress you.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
I'm catching up, this is from many pages back.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days

Oh, like he’d miss it!

(I think it's safe to say they're dating.)
The Powerful Katrinka has a new rival They would probably hang out and be friends

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 3, 2024

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Iron God

Willie, how many circus girlfriends have you had over the years?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Still catching up.
When the robots had a Sunday strip, I felt empathy for them.

I do not feel empathy for this guy.
-----------------

Alterian posted:

If you don't live in North Carolina, you don't understand the yearly pollinating. Its something you truely have to experience.

JethroMcB posted:

The strip doesn't even address the true terror: the smell...
I live in NC, and I know the pollen. My black car turns a lovely shade of yellow. But I don't know anything about the smell, because my allergies get so bad I can't smell anything.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 15:22 on May 4, 2024

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
:hr:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Has Kelly from the Onion done a version of this? It's right up his alley :sickos:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Murdstone posted:

I used to really enjoy NS but I stopped reading it regularly when it became too much about this kid. I was given a NS cartoon a day calendar for Christmas a year or two ago and if it's any indication goth kid takes up about 75% of the strips now. The rest are 'POLITICS/LAWYERS/ADVERTISERS/ETC., AMIRITE!' for the most part. Every once in a while it's just a good gag, but they are fewer and further between than they used to be.

Wiley's far from the worst artist and I still even like him in general (mostly leftover goodwill from when I really enjoyed the strip), but if goth kid annoys you, it's not the strip for you. She is not going away often, and when she does it won't be long. Those within this thread who claimed otherwise sit on a throne of lies.
The goth girl wasn't as prominent back in the day, because there were more "POLITICS/LAWYERS/ADVERTISERS, AMIRITE!" stuff, but Wiley got dropped from a LOT of newspapers for trying to fit a "gently caress Trump" into a Sunday strip. She was still there back in the days I used to read it regularly (loving early 2000s gah I'm old) but her dad and sister showed up more and there were more lame politics / lawyers jokes back then.

If you can find a collection from way back, Wiley ran "Homer" on Sundays, which was a guy living through different lives and trying to find the love of this life in that iteration. After he died he would go to Heaven, talk to a very Christian idea of God, and get sent back for another try at another time. It was really good IMO, but because it was Sunday only there's just less of it and I don't know if it would be in a separate collection.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Zaroff posted:

Maybe I’m missing something, but surely they’re going to have significantly bigger legal problems once it gets out that they’ve been saving their customers’ credit card and PIN details (and more) and THEN got hacked?

I thought that’s the kind of thing stores should never retain…
Target was hacked in 2013 and it was really big news at the time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Target_Corporation#2013_security_breach
And yes, PIN details of debit cards were encrypted but still taken, along with the CVV numbers on the back of regular credit cards