Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

RG3 did the needful

https://twitter.com/RGIII/status/1744546749123895737

... that does not sound like it's spelled, that i is not an a

I don’t remember if somebody here mentioned it but that’s literally an old Chappelle’s Show sketch. Unreal.

Though the best joke from the last thread was saying it’s pronounced “Naysayers” :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WaryWarren posted:

He'll be a hard act to follow

This and the Deez Nuts jokes, yeah.

if Saban wants he could easily replace Lee Corso on Gameday.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

and one other thing

Please, Please, Please don't hire Dan Lanning. This time, I know we're not going to get lucky again.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

gently caress.

end of an era. whoever you get next needs to be absolutely top tier at keeping the boosters in line, because that was both Saban's real power, and also the only thing keeping Bama from getting mighty Auburn real quick.

trilljester posted:

That seems to be the hot rumor floating around.

I see it and it doesn't make me happy!!!!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/football/report-oregon-coach-dan-lanning-currently-in-tuscaloosa

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck

quote:

[Lanning] served on the Alabama staff in 2015 as a graduate assistant, helping the Crimson Tide win a national championship over Clemson. He also spent time on Kirby Smart's staff from 2018-21 as defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach before accepting the head position at Oregon.

22-5 at Oregon in two seasons. Really hope the buyout scares them off. De Boer is right there without a contract extension!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nike is going to print up a bunch of "The Grass is drat Green in Eugene" t-shirts, and the bootleggers you see on the walk over to Autzen are also going to but maaaaybe with different graphics on the shirt :v:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Buddy, look into what Alabama was like in the decades before saban showed up

The hydra of Alabama donors is gonna eat the next coach alive. Sarkisian appears to have finally done what Mack was (mostly) able to do at Texas. It took them three coaching hires to get it right. Saban is what made Alabama what it is, and the next coach is going to be trying to replicate it in an even tougher and deeper SEC

Saban got the Stupid Dragon hydra of LSU boosters to work together, the man was a genius at that side of things.

Zurreco posted:

Apparently DeBoer is making some sort of announcement tomorrow morning. Seems like a 70/30 split between staying at UW or going to Bama. I can't image he would go on local radio just to announce he is leaving after 2 seasons.

gonna find out real quick if he's signed that contract extension :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

boy this has been a rollercoaster of a week for Oregon fans, Washington was always losing a lot next year but it sure is funny that DeBoer had a contract extension on his desk for a while this season and didn't sign it. hrm. wonder what his agent knew. Wonder who that agent also is the agent of. Anyways,

LeeMajors posted:

Washington has had a pretty decent hit rate on head coaches and a good enough history to recruit well on the west coast. I think the Big Ten profile is higher too.

Obviously this a huge setback and I’m gutted for y’all but it wouldn’t surprise me if you managed to hire a pretty great replacement.

obnoxiously this, Lake was the "right process, wrong result" situation, but again, their AD did the right thing but cutting bait early. DeBoer made a lot of sense, and similarly I'd trust Oregon's AD in case Lanning did leave, I do think Washington is setup to bring somebody else in.

I think I said it before but the bounce will be next season - UW got to the playoff and final this year, the interest will come out next year. And they always needed to reload considering how many players were gone after this year. I think they'll be fine, and it sounds like their collectives are good but without the one big booster (which honestly, positives/negatives to both). It absolutely pains me to say, they should be ok.

Seattle sports in general is fickle as hell - it's like a cold Miami. Mariners bad? they'll draw for Boston/Yankees, but nobody else. Mariners good? Packed houses. Seahawks have a higher floor, but they've also had Pete for 14 seasons and that helped bring a previously unheard of level of hype to the team. Even that 2006 Super Bowl run wasn't as loud, though that's also to do with how much of the conversation the NFL takes now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

lmao at goons acting like they wouldn't live in shithole x for 10m/y

besides, the coaches aren't concerned about area culture or food or whatever, they're having a chicken wrap from the training kitchen delivered to their office while they stress over breaking down film or that they've only texted a recruit 12 times today when they're sure that someone else has texted them 13 times or how much NIL money they're going to have to beg boosters for. the world outside of the football center barely exists for most of them once you reach the top level

I don’t think it can be overstated to what degree college head coaches are living in bubbles of their own making. Where they live and work the priorities are not the same as a normal person who has a 9-5 and interests outside of work.

On a podcast recently there was a story of a coach who had never heard of cruises - like, the entire concept of a Caribbean or Mediterranean cruise. Completely foreign concept. Considering how hard it is to grind your way up to being a head coach at a top job, that is not a shock.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MintFresh posted:

Listen you can talk poo poo about any other Seattle sports fandom, but to talk poo poo about mariners fans and how they are fickle? What the gently caress? We always come out no matter how lovely the team is. You forget the playoff drought? What the gently caress is this

We are literally the browns baseball. We go to games no matter what. Oregon avatar or what, for you to just blatantly lie about the mariners like this. What the gently caress

Edit: games are always packed, you just wanted to talk poo poo about Seattle sports or something?

The fun thing about being from the Northwest is we can hate each other in football but have to share a baseball team.

I went to games in the Kingdome and The Double is burned into my elementary school brain, I don’t think it’s unfair to say “the ballpark at Edgar and Dave isn’t full every single night unless the team’s in contention, and then it’s rocking.” Didn’t mean to suggest it’s an A’s situation, we know it’s not *that* bad (jeans son needs to sell his team).

Christe Eleison posted:

Hwat in the wide wide world of sports is a-goin’ on here?

The affairs of state must take precedence over the affairs of state.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DrunkPanda posted:

Still the funniest recruiting story I can remember

Gold Trans Am is another classic of the genre

Stunt Rock posted:

https://x.com/nicoleauerbach/status/1746948884901892551?s=46

Ole Miss and Texas A&M fans everywhere dying of laughter.

Oh I cannot wait to hear Godfrey on this one

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

Is no one saying anything about K-State being #4 in that prediction list?

2022 Big XII champ K-State? Surely they can rebound, and maybe only Utah seems like they can come into the conference in a position of strength.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The only sports game I've seen coming out on Xbox Game Pass day and date is MLB The Show, but that's also MLB both twisting Sony's arm to put it on Nintendo and Microsoft systems, and probably trying to get it out there as MLB promotion as well. EA stuff gets to EA Play and the console Game Pass eventually, but not at launch, though 10 hour trials generally do come up. I would be shocked if it doesn't have one of those at least.

also from memory it's all of FBS as of now, possibility of adding FCS either 2025 or as DLC, and no clue about other features like Ultimate Team. Would not be shocked if some of those are a bit bare bones for year one. Switch 2 rumors are for Q4 next year, so not relevant for the July launch anyways.

forkboy84 posted:

All I need is them to put it on the European PS5 store, I really don't want to pay extra to import a disc like when I bought the GameCube version of 2005 with Larry Fitzgerald on the cover. (Gamecube had a disc which meant you could play region locked games super easily)

Is your European account the one you play everything under? Would recommend making a U.S. burner for buying games, it's pretty simple for PS5s to have multiple accounts share games (says somebody who had to do this relatively recently).

LeeMajors posted:

I’m not going to lie—I’m going to kind of miss the qb#7 stuff.

the more recent tradition of going to Operation Sports to figure out who's made the updated_ver7_final rosters for NCAA 14 is something I will cherish, and be glad I no longer have to do in the future.

also as Jason Kirk pointed out, anybody who runs a dynasty with the as-of-2024 conferences is a cop. I will absolutely run myself an Oregon dynasty that reverts this extinction of the Pac-12, and I'm hoping the game will have editors enough to allow it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

From what I've gathered, a lot of this is weirdo Harbaughbrain. He wants to be wanted and wants respect, but not like normie brains think about wanting and respect. In his brain, that currently means getting paid the highest, even though he doesn't really need/want the money, and being insulated from any NCAA punishments. That's the rub - Michigan would happily pay him, but that punishment immunity stuff gets legally icky in a hurry.

Stuff like "I know the NCAA has it out for me, but how about if a show cause penalty comes in we simply do nothing?" Or sure the NCAA requires that I be fired or the program gets a gigantic punishment, but what if my contract specifically says we must tell the NCAA to pound sand? Michigan might not legally be able to do that stuff - but that appears to be Harbaugh's price.

I heard it described as wanting to make sure he's paid at least one cent more than Ryan Day as a respect thing, because he's got the money already and doesn't really use it (the whole 'owning a racing team' era has come and gone long ago), but the reassurances on the NCAA issues is certainly an interesting one. I think there was also mention/suggestion that Michigan also wanted him to not openly flirt with NFL teams for at least a year?

as well the NCAA stuff gets weird because it's not laws, this isn't state or federal law, but bylaws or rules of an organization. and remember, the NCAA has already racked up that 0-9 decision in the Supreme Court. So who knows exactly what legal standing this all has.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

After this happens, one day a college football player will be traded.

International soccer-style transfer fees for players’ registration rights.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Because the incentive to stay in Tuscaloosa would not have been high enough if the football team wasn't good.

The “Flutie Effect” is decently well-studied and is exactly what this conversation is about - the extra attention success in college sports gives schools (named after Boston College’s influx after Doug Flutie’s Hail Mary against The U in 1984).

Sports really act as a “front porch” for universities in the U.S. There were definitely people I went to school with who both heard of and decided to come to Oregon because of the sports connections, and that certainly has been true when appealing to the California kids not going to UC schools.

To put it from another angle - I know about a few universities in Japan either because they participate in the annual new year’s Hakone Ekiden marathon, which is the highest-profile college sports event in the country.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Now do the same chart but for time windows for the games.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

When the Super League inevitably forms, it starts with those 18 teams and adds six more, probably some ACC schools above the Mason Dixion line, but that's what major college football will look like in ten years or so.

Here’s the thing I keep coming back to, though:

Not all of those teams can go 10-2 every season in a Super League format. Hell, we’re going to have to adjust to potential playoff teams having 3 losses with the beefed-up SEC and Big Ten next year. And that includes a lot of those 18 teams listed above.

I am not sure the interest will survive if all we get is these kinds of helmet games, because I think a lot of the interest is in having 5 big leagues provide that many big names who are in contention every year. I’m not convinced it’s the NFL, where good or bad, people tune in.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Punter's the QB now

Get you somebody who can do both, like a new-age Johnny Wilkinson.

I can just hear Ferentz describing their next QB as having “a foot like a traction engine”

xbilkis posted:

WITHOUT
a doubt
CHAMPS

I keep seeing the HOUT there and it takes me back to a Boise State player getting loving clocked by Lagarette Blount.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

Iowa state will still lose to Iowa 10-7.

¡El Assico! is a world with its own rhyme and reason, logic does not exist there

PupsOfWar posted:

Ferentz should have hired a triple option guy

That sounds like a fun NCAA 14 College Football 25 challenge come July. Run the drat ‘bone!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

Yeah for example it bought Coach O *checks notes* 18 months of job security.

Edit: somewhat misunderstood the post

Harbaugh leaving is likely a less disruptive situation than Da Coach O bringing the extemely Divorced Dad Energy while still in the job.

GD_American posted:

yeah I know, it's just a laughably tortured Mr. Baseball-rear end statistic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgCY_o1SR3o

Thanks for inadvertently reminding me I owe a friend a Chunichi Dragons hat because he’s a fan of Mr Baseball.

The other fun fact for the day was I had reason to drop the Texas Longhorn Championship Hydration image into a group chat this morning, to many questions.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tennessee fans defiant about a potential recruiting violation, feels good to be back.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

once two strangers climbed ol rocky top
lookin for goldmine NIL
strangers ain’t come down from rocky top
reckon they never will

lmao

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Does Chicago make a dent in College Football viewership? Does New York City? The answer is no. Remember this?

It’s true that one of the highest viewership cities for college football (including playoffs/NCG ratings) is Birmingham, Alabama, but another fun fact is I believe Split Zone Duo said their biggest listener city is Washington, DC. Makes sense - fans from all around spill in there.

I would imagine Chicago and NYC are similar, in terms of having alumni from many places filter in there (I think friends from college still occasionally go to the UO watch bar in NYC). But yeah, biggest media markets aren’t automatically the biggest viewership.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

That poster would be very disappointed to learn how little the average recruit knows about politics

Slate’s Joel Anderson, aka Joel from Missouri City? Who played at TCU?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

we can only hope that 1. the Mascot mode returns and 2. you can use the Pop Tart

otherwise yeah, the NCAA games always played a little different and always felt much better to me than Madden, I've tried in the past couple years getting Madden cheap on PS4 and Xbox Series and it just isn't quite the same. plus as Fluff said, we're here for 'crootin'.

also I would imagine they don't have microtransactions in single-player or multiplayer dynasties, but keep that to Ultimate Team, which could be Real Good if they do the lifting to get a lot of older players. There are so many guys you could go get even just from P5 teams from the past ~50 years of the sport...that might actually get me to play an Ultimate Team mode. Maybe.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

As much as EA is rightfully demonized, they've still never crossed the Rubicon of adding play-to-win elements to Franchise in Madden have they? My understanding was that that was all quarantined to Ultimate Team

No, that’s 2K for the MyPlayer mode. None of the EA Sports games have gotten gross in the single-player modes, just UT like you said.

I’d look into a goon league except time zones.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gonz posted:

Bah gawd....that...

....THAT'S JOHN ELWAY'S MUSIC! John Elway is the new Pac-2 commish!

That’s ACC legend John Elway to you.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

All of the EA Sports CFB 25 news coming out is very good, and I don't think the NIL deal is bad per se, I'm sure plenty of the players are happy to be in the video game and get a free copy.

Maxwells Demon posted:

Southern California specifically. Anyone north of Santa Barbara will make fun of SoCal people for doing it.

absolutely 100% this.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tokyo has a decent ring road system, but some of the C1 roads get a bit hairy. They’re also posted laughably slow for somebody who lived in the U.S.

The Aqua Line is also a fun one, most of it is an underwater tunnel.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Adun posted:

Tokyo I think has had some of the best car traffic I’ve ever experienced in a huge city getting in and out of the central areas. Not that I’ve taken many cars since most of the time we’re taking trains but I’ve taken cars from Haneda a few times to Tokyo station and also driven out to Saitama to visit my wife’s family and each time has been shockingly smooth unlike Beijing or Seoul or Bangkok much less London/LA/NYC

The center might be okay (ironically it’s because most is only 2-lane at most, except right before interchanges) but like the Tomei heading in after a holiday weekend can be stopped for miles. It’s awful. And forget trying to head to Kamakura/Enoshima/etc, on surface roads it took me over an hour to go 6 miles a couple weekends ago.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Back in the day, NCAA was always the prior year's Madden with all the bug fixes plus tweaks/changes to account for how different the college game is -- not just playbooks, but actual work to make the option game work decently, for example.

Everything from EA runs on the Frostbite game engine (as opposed to something like Unreal), including all the sports games now, so it won't be a different engine.

Declan MacManus posted:

surely not

it will be called Ultimate Recruiting or some bullshit like that

EA hasn't put any Ultimate Team poo poo into any of the franchise modes, not even in the actual money-maker, EA FC (nee FIFA).

sometimes it means they aren't putting as much priority into developing Franchise, but they also are starting from zero again for College Football, and must know that most of the players coming back from the old NCAA Football games played a lot of the single-player Franchise or online Franchise modes.

Ultimate Team will be in there, and separate. And I might be most excited for that, because if they do it right, there are so many good college players from the past. A backfield of Reggie Bush, Barry Sanders and Mike Vick running the wishbone?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

If they've already got 10,000 in the game, and if there's only like two or three other holdouts, at least it'll be easy enough to re-name on your own instead of having to download a whole-rear end roster file :v:

"worried about playing the game on the field" gently caress out of here with that corny nonsense, his group probably thought he'd be one of the handful of players on actual promotion duty with the game and went all :staredog: when they were either rebuffed by EA or heard they didn't get those meetings at all.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

drat those cake eaters in college station.

This is never a wrong opinion to hold, honestly.

Sash went to Penn State, that feels like it’s pretty far away from “Mexican food gourmet”

Actually I know a Penn State person at work, I should ask them too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Bama ending college football at the end of Saban’s regime was entirely predictable. Poetic even.

“Actually, college football is immoral and illegal”

the center cannot hold, etc. etc.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's coming out on PC, right? It would be nice if I can justify my PC tinkering habits to my wife.

The recent Madden and FIFA EA FC games have been on PC, it should be there.

When my PS4’s disc drive decided to die, the only reasonable thing was to get a PS5 to keep access to that library. So the only choice is Xbox or PS5 when the time comes this summer.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It has come to my attention (via Bomani Jones’ podcast) that somebody has dug out the Seventh Floor Crew video, and these kids who like the commentary stylings of Greg Olsen are learning that the man has a few bars in him as well.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1TlM0c15UI

There it is

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

whos that broooown posted:

Corvallis weather is definitely more moderate than *insert average rust belt town*

For example, the average high for February in Champaign is about three degrees higher than the average low in Corvallis.

Neither is playing many home baseball games in February, in honesty. That’s early season tournaments or away trips in sunny weather. I think both Oregon State and Oregon have fully turf baseball fields but they won’t play in rain.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jeremor posted:

holy poo poo that's wild lol

I mean yeah that kinda rules because gently caress those guys or whatever but thats some cold rear end poo poo to do with a bunch of people's money. If it's anything like the South Carolina NIL collective, that's a lot of small dollar donors that funnel money into that thing just to feel like they're helping out.

And just like with the payments bringing things out into the light, imagine how many times guys like this were fuming after signing day the last couple decades. I’m glad we get to see this kind of vitriol for public consumption now, it’s hilarious.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ve generally liked Oregon scheduling one OOC game as a marquee, and one against like a MWC team or something, and every other year playing the FCS commuter school that is Portland State.

I guess now I have to say OOC we have to add the Oregon State game to that list :smith:

It still doesn’t feel real that my conference is dead and we’re playing all those Other Side of the Rose Bowl teams in-conference next year, so it’s hard to say what PAC-10/12 games otherwise I’d want to keep. Wazzu if we never have to go to Pullman, Utah, maybe Cal or Stanford…but those were always based on the team at the time, not as fundamental as playing little brother in Corvallis or the Huskies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

This has nothing to do with football, however I believe it fits in the offseason thread.

https://twitter.com/Harada_TEKKEN/status/1774023083764199566?s=20

I just realized this would be better not in Tekken but in a weapons fighter game, given the proclivity for whole-rear end chairs to be thrown during Waffle House fights

[edit] if the Waffle House is the stage, what song is playing as background?

harperdc fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 1, 2024