Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I went back to my parents place and finally picked up the last box I had left there and found all my Lego sets from the 90's I thought I had lost over the moves. I have nearly all of Ice Planet, Spyrius, and Aquanauts

I'm really sweating the Lion Knights Castle but 400 bux is a big ask. for less than that I could basically buy the entire Exploriens line

I played with my kid this weekend and it felt like being a kid all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

If you need some easy mental gymnastics you can do to justify the castle, it'll probably skyrocket in value after it's gone. It's that type of set for sure.

oh 100% I would guess it jumps up to 550-600 ez when it gets retired. so if I regularly flipped things it's pretty much a sure thing

mostly I actually just like making little vignettes. I found a local run lego reseller and am going to the lego store later today to get bulk pieces to make some landscapes. anyone got links to some inspiration? obviously space, ice planet, and over/underwater

I forgot to mention I did find my '09 pirate ship and got the new Eldorado Fortress. I'm a sucker for Lego it was just the $400 sticker price of the castle that got my shook

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah time is just the one thing I’m lacking, I wish I’d had chance to go through it over the last few weeks but it’s been family emergency stuff juggled with trying to work remote in a different time zone on an internet connection that mights well be made of LEGO. That’s a shame, I could probably put the best stuff aside and do counts on that when I’m back (at least one of them is sealed, so that’s an easy one) but definitely not the whole lot.

can you not ship it to yourself and part it out later? I bulk sent my lego cross country for like $40

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I live in the US, so while possible the cost of the postage is gonna be pretty high for a package that big even if it doesn’t weigh a ton. I remember sending a cap from the US to the UK for my friend and that was $30!

ahhh that makes way more sense. hilariously it might be cheaper to grab a used luggage and toss the Lego in there and take it on the plane with you

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
think about it this way. selling these Lego means you're subsidizing your later trips. during which you can bring those records over. you're practically paying yourself to do it

what I can glean from bricklink and eBay is that complete sets can randomly print money

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

So does the village go more with the blacksmithing shop or the Lion's Knight Castle? I'd assume more with the blacksmith shop?

the tower looks straight ripped out of the Lion Knights Castle. with this, the castle, forest hideout and majisto's workshop it's lookin good for castle fans rn

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
left the Lego store with like $100 bux of pab stuff but we got the goods for some fun dioramas

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Psychepath posted:

I'm thinking about selling some sets from around 1995, mostly spacey stuff with 300-600 pieces, did they have extra miscellaneous small parts like modern sets do? They're all in box and fully buildable but I don't know if that means "complete" to a buyer.

you don't have pm's but I uhh could be very interested in said pieces

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

on the subject of space stuff, I spent some time today making a land crawler with attached scout craft. I'm pretty happy with the end result even though I felt limited by my brick selection and mostly having older bricks it looks a bit blocky compared to new stuff. I do wish I had a different top plate than the M-Tron one mostly because I was originally going for a Spyrius mid-sized robot but audibled midway through

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

decided i ultimately wasn't happy with my ship design last night, and that I should work on smaller scale stuff and work up. I made a little battlepod

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

Those ball joint plates did not exist until 2012. Your build is not period accurate. :goonsay:

you're not wrong but I want to work on modernizing some of those 90's themes. it'll give me a solid base of ideas and I love the color schemes. now to hoard all the translucent blue and neon orange / green I can find

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

Modernizing old sets like that is sometimes called "Neo-Classic Space." There are rad MOCs out there.

I was jokingly being an rear end in a top hat pedant there, in case that wasn't clear.

we're good fam. I've just been surprised how into making mocs I've been. I originally was just going to complete the sets I found but this has been pretty rad

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
spent the last few days washing and sorting Lego. time consuming but I was able to build much faster once I got a good sense for where everything was. I'm still at the ziplock bag stage but a trip to ikea is probably in the cards for this weekend

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I wouldn't give up on ziploc bags, they still have a place in any organization system. Parts cups are good for pieces you don't have a ton of but without fail you'll get some piece types that no bin is big enough to contain.. like a giant bucket of 2x4 bricks or large plates, etc. For me that all still lives in a bag, and many of them are gallon ziplocs.

If you really hate ziplocs (which I'm kind of leaning towards, they seal up the plastic smells and you get a big waft of VOC nastiness every time you open the bag) you can get muslin sacks off amazon insanely cheap. Not transparent but they do have drawstrings and are pretty convenient.

oh I think ziplocks will be a part of the overall system but as you say they don't cover everything. I think cups and drawer dividers are the next step. I'm trying not to go overboard and over-engineer this step. at worst I can dump the bags into new containers over time

at the moment I'm using the folding cardboard shipping box the eldorado fortress came in. so everything packs down to a nice little container and put into the under the couch storage. I want to say I have a spare toolbox somewhere with a tiered small parts shelf that would be good for a fast grab box for like clips and connectors

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

finished up the current iteration of the storage solution and decided to make some helper bots and a rover. I want some red 1x4's and 1x6's to make the top of the transport cleaner but it works for now. I need more pieces for doing greebling

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
ended up getting new command rover to go over the top and get the gwp. this is actually a cool set

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Thanks! It started with just wanting to build the Peacekeeper in stud.io. I set myself "rules" for the variants that boiled down to "must keep as much of the original framework as possible", "must still have the removable pod play feature", and "must use some of the same design language as the set it's being styled after". The Classic Space and Blacktron variants are the most changed because I had to use the more square cockpit element, rather than the "modern" one.

Group shot of the pods. The Classic one has side opening panels because where the original door would be is now taken up by a booster rocket. The top of the M-Tron pod was made to look like a magnet connector.

I can see how you did the hinges on the various drop off parts and those are some slick mechanisms

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Lamont posted:

Does the following thing exist (either lego or third-party)?

A belt (that goes in between the torso and leg assembly like the Batman utility belts) with a stud on the side. I would like something like this for my Star-Lord figure so that I can stick the 2x1 cassette tape tile on it to look like the Walkman.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=42446#T=S&O=%7B%22iconly%22:0%7D

I think this would work for what you're trying to do

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Luchacabra posted:

I just happened to be reorganizing my stuff and had some of those pieces handy. Unfortunately, they won't fit on the legs. The leg posts are flared at the base and not regular cylindrical pegs. The belts and tails and such have rounded edged square holes to fit the legs. Sorry.

It's *illegal* but I guess you could get some of those pieces and dremel/file the holes open some more.

yeah that was my worry. Lego doesn't really do a ton with hip level stuff for minifigs

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, it's basically my ritual when I get a set to get it opened up and any instructions and stickers laid flat so they're nice when I want to build them. Granted that could lead to misplaced stuff if your backlog is long or you gotta move stuff around.

At the risk of starting the instructions derail again - I've kept most of my old instructions in drawers, but part of me wants to do a purge and just toss a ton of them into recycling, but it still feels weird and wasteful to me.

Similarly, I sort off want to sell off some old sets, but don't really think I want to go through the trouble of actually dealing with selling them.

selling is kinda dependent on how much effort you want to put in. there's always eBay. tho honestly just listing stuff in SA-Mart and linking to it in relevant threads goes pretty quick too

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, unfortunately the "trouble with selling them" part is largely in packing them up and dealing with shipping them off. Also living in Canada I feel like shipping costs usually suck rear end. I got some big technic sets part of me wants to see if I can find someone in my city to just come pick up as-is via kijiji (craigslist like) but I'm not expecting there to be much of an audience there.

oh that's totally fair and yeah crossing the border bumps up shipping quite a bit. the true gently caress it who cares is taking pics and selling it as-is lot

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Saithir posted:

The Speed Champions McLaren finally arrived yesterday, so I built it and took to finally photographing my pitlane MOC properly:

This is the front 40 studs of MILS plates which are mostly the pitlane itself (and I had some cut 10 x 32 baseplate I got while buying some other bricks, so I cut it down to 8 and 2 stud ones and used the bigger here for the pit wall). Behind it is the garage itself (which is on another 32x32 baseplate) and behind that I made a small half-baseplate walkway and ended it up with the 2 stud strap for the F1 sign.

The F1 sign turned out reasonably well given that with the small space there is for it I can't really do the proper angles, the garage and the pit lane are okay, but a bit out of scale because the 8-wide speed champions are so drat big.

this is nice great work

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

a sexual elk posted:

Ordered a bit more red, think it’s done minus adding an interior

excellent work my goon

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

Any tips for selling locally? Think I'm gonna get rid of a lot of sets but mailing Lego is such a pain. Was thinking CL/FB Marketplace, take the average sold Ebay price, then knock off maybe 15% ? Thoughts.

this can work but you're going to want to do lots because the smaller sets don't move very well on their own. if there's space / aquazone / pirates I'd be willing to buy a lot

I also haven't given up moc building but moved it to an Instagram account as to not spam the thread. I'll post some group shots when I get a good space for a wide angle

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

It's mostly Star Wars UCS stuff I just don't have space for anymore. I might throw them online still not 100% sure. I have some smaller, high value sets I'm definitely going to sell on Ebay. But for the big UCS stuff I was thinking I'd rather just eat a percentage of profits to not have to ship or pay service fees. Not sure how fast it would move locally though. Not really in a huge rush to sell anyways.

oh if time's not a concern then yeah rotating listings on FB will be your best bet. you could also try any local afol groups

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

TheMadMilkman posted:

I use the end of the brick separator in the same manner.

yeah I do this too. I try my best to keep any metal away from my lego

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Borsche69 posted:

i was about to ask if that ruins the adhesion but i guess the sticky material is oil soluble (or whatever) and not technically water soluble. i dont know if that's actually true but if it is, that's galaxy brained tech right there

there's techniques for taking misaligned stickers, removing them, and then reapplying. so yeah there's some wizardry at work

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Creature posted:

The bonsai tree is very pretty for sure, but I think there ought to be a rule that the advertised piece count only includes pieces you actually build with. 878 pieces. 200 of them are studs which you mix and pour into the base lol

this sucks as a display model but works as a parts box for woodland scenery

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I'm fine with the dragon's wings. the price point is kinda meh tho. not terrible but also not in snap purchase price range

cmf looks good and I'll be grabbing a bunch for parts

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

Are the wings for that DnD dragon cloth? I've got the Ninjago Dragon that comes with these wings, they are cool.
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=38765&idColor=0#T=C&C=0
The wingspan on the build is roughly 20 inches.

looks like cloth with some technic pieces holding them up

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Creature posted:

The current thread title is worryingly accurate. I’m currently unemployed so I have the time to build Lego, but at some point I’m going to have to reconsider my spending on these things.

I didn’t expect to get so into Lego like I have. Turns out it’s a lot of fun. poo poo.

I had a similar problem. the main thing is to have a goal in mind and not just buy because something is on sale. so set a budget and remember that there'll always be another eBay or marketplace listing

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Naw. There are people who like all the eras, depending one when the fan was a kid.

I mean, there are people who like ice planet while any sane person looks at those sets and goes EEUUUUUUURGGGGHHHHH! But someone will probably chime in to say how great they are. And that's fine.

I think SP3 sets are pretty awesome, though they don't get much love.

LEGO has brought space back, though in a less fantastic way. It's more grounded in reality now.

Please bring back western sets. Those work really well.

wait what's wrong with ice planet sets? it's the neon orange isn't it?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah I really like the new space sets. I have half the line but mostly I'm just waiting for the next gwp I like to get the rest. they are much more near future

tho I do miss the more extravagant trans-neon colors. in that vein I've been grabbing incomplete sets for those colors and just incorporating them where I can

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
do CMF parts end up in the on-line PAB? there are tons of new parts I want

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I finally bought enough little storage shelves to start organizing my kids' lego collection. I know it'll be a constant work in progress but it'll make building and rebuilding all their torn up sets way easier.

I recently got some craftsman organizers and it has drastically improved my ability to make mocs. just being able to scan my parts for the right piece or ideas is super helpful

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

I forgot I said I'd post group shots of my mocs. been trying to make stuff weekly of varying complexity

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

obi_ant posted:

New version of the Detolf shelf I see. How adjustable are the shelves if I had unlimited clips?

it is and you can pretty much setup up however you want. I'll re-adjust those depending on what's in there

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Borsche69 posted:

cool moc advice i saw was basically along the lines of 'hey you know those sets you have on display that you dont really care that much about? thats lego too! crazy huh? why dont part it out and make something else with it or combine it with another set you're displaying and not super attached to'

absolutely, when I rotate things off the shelf they get disassembled and sorted

it also helps to remind myself to look at the building techniques as I'm going through the process. gives me ideas for new mocs

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You're paying for the ip of course its price gouging

yeah but maybe we get a Link minifig out of it :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

There's going to be a Nazgul on Fell Beast w/ 3 minifigs GWP that comes with Barad Dur.

Having dope sets as GWPs sucks donkey balls.

:homebrew:

fffffuuuuuucccccckkkkkkk

I'm usually good with this stuff but this is my kryptonite