Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Giblet Plus! posted:

http://spawnofpossession.bandcamp.com/releases

best tech death of 2012 HANDS DOWN I SAY

this is pretty cool plus check out that neat ghost fish that a guy is summoning to destroy, like, 6 houses in nebraska or something. way overkill probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BurningBeard posted:

Sup metal goons? This year sucks. Everything is terrible and my motivation is through the floor. I’ve not even been listening to music because of it. I’m trying to come out of the fog. So I know it’s premature, but what have y’all liked best this year? I just want some cool new poo poo to listen to with a minimum of energy expended. Hoping hearing something awesome reignites my interest in tunes.

I will say that the new Unleash The Archers was pretty good. Genre agnostic though, cause I’m nowhere near picky right now.

You got a lot of answers but i didn't notice anyone mention

Old Man Gloom - Seminars 8 and 9
Pyrrhon - Abcess Time
Behold...The Arctopus - Hapleptic Overtrove
Calligram - The Eye is the First Circle
Sightless Pit - Grave of a Dog

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i never realized there was secrecy around deathspell omega's line-up. do they acknowledge the rest of the band members?

no. they don't credit anyone, but i think it's also pretty widely known that carpenter brut produces them

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gio posted:

no only does hellripper have killer riffs but these lyrics are cool as hell imo, especially in context

speaking of lyrics, does anyone know if the lyrics to the new lotus thief album are available anywhere? are they in the booklet if you order the physical album? i'm reading a few translations of the oresteia and wanted to check them out

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nazzadan posted:

I am very much so looking forward to listening to the new Botanist when I get the chance later today

It’s good but I can’t stop laughing at it. It’s basically black metal schoolhouse rock

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Groke posted:

Yah, but it would be even better as a side project.

Then this century they've released some stuff that ranges from complete WTF to... at best nothing wrong with it but quite superfluous. Eh, whatever.

what difference would that make

Nazzadan posted:

Not really an album release, but it's as long as some of the EP releases I post:

Keys of Orthanc covered Caladan Brood's Book of the Fallen and it's very very good. Keys of Orthanc are already an extremely good "epic" atmoblack band and they cover my favorite song by probably the best epic atmoblack band around.

i'm very into this

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Psh, in Philly we have an actual coffee shop with a metal logo (Grindcore House, it rules)

pittsburgh has TWO locations for Black Forge Coffee. They're lovely folks and i'm in there almost every day. and yes the playlist is just death/black/grind mostly. occasionally some stoner stuff

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowy posted:

I guess I stick to my own little metal bubbles too much because I don’t think I’ve ever heard any CoB and honestly had no idea they were so influential. I’ll have to check some out now, :rip:

yeah same, i know i've heard a song or two but that's it. iirc you're older though and i had a teenage uncle who raised me on florida death bands and carcass and bolt thrower and poo poo so i didn't really have a transition to extreme stage as a teenager.

my bony fealty posted:

we got a place here called Heartwork that is infact named after the album and they display the LP prominently and also have good coffee

more metal coffee shops!

i googled it and it appears to be in san diego? if so black forge is going to be doing a traveling pop up thing there on the 16th as part of the oddities and curiosities expo. they rigged up a van and are going around with the save our stages tour and o&c all year.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Thanks! Goon support has been helpful since the beginning.

if i only got one candle which candle would you tell me to get

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

Sanguisugabogg's whole shtick is really lame imo "Wow we're so crazy we recorded this album ON ACID" is lame, like cool ig so has every other band since Hofmann rode his bike

Lmfao

sticklefifer posted:

The new Genghis Tron just came out today. I like it a lot, but I wouldn't call it metal. They definitely switched up their style enough that other than the crazy drumming and occasional guitar work, it's mostly synth-based now. You get hints of their old style in a few tracks (mostly the title track), but it seems like they included that as a segue to tell you they've moved on from the screamy cybergrind stuff. I feel like the Metalsucks review was pretty spot-on when they said it sounds like it would be a natural evolution from Board Up the House if there were a few albums in between that we never got to hear during their 13 year hiatus. It's good though; Nick Yacyshyn's drumming is fantastic.

That’s a shockingly cogent comment for metalsucks lol. I wonder if they were producing music of any kind, privately, in the meantime.

Mefitis - Offscourings
StarGazer - Psychic Secretions
Frozen Soul - Crypt of Ice
Emma Ruth Rundle and Thou - The Helm of Sorrow

My AOTY so far is a screamo album with black metal influences: Portrayal of Guilt - We Are Always Alone

The new portrayal is incredible. I did not at all expect to like it better than let suffering be your guide but here we are

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Is Kristen hayter on this one? New lingua ignota came out last month so maybe she was too busy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nordick posted:

Gigadeth

the john cameron Aliens pitch meeting legend but

Megadeth...$

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nazzadan posted:

My favorite thing about Mike is not that he's a professor, it's that he's apparently a professor that all his students hate. Don't be fooled by the overall average, reading through the reviews is a great time.

tbf almost all the negative reviews are complaints that the class isn't structured with redundant readings and lectures, so you can choose to skip it/not do the readings, or just that you aren't guaranteed an A for trying.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

have not posted here in forever but have been getting back into listening to metal a lot lately and recently found new venom prison and thought it was cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGB7x-TZHk

heck yeah. new record looks like it's set for february

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

i had to click through to see, no way i thought

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sometimes it sounds really cool and other times it sounds like Imagine Dragons. It's also never quite as hybridized as I would like it to be. Reminds me of how Panopticon get sold as "bluegrass meets black metal" but those two sides are almost entirely separate.

I like Panopticon a lot, but he doesn’t even really do bluegrass anymore. The dark folk stuff is good too but yeah it’s too musically distant from the metal to really be a hybrid, it’s just a band that does both. The connection between that kind of black metal and folk is purely atmospheric. Ironically the way bluegrass is played and structured could work very well with death metal in the same way jazz does but I don’t know that anyone has ever tried it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

It does suck for sure but black metal is the only subgenre I actively check. Other metal genres are innocent until proven guilty, black metals the other way lol

It’s the only way. Really just euro black metal though. Are there any really prominent current American nsbm bands? All the American black metal bands I’m familiar with are either weird forest people or brooklynite nerds and poo poo. Obviously early in there was like grand belial’s key and those losers but I don’t see it much now. Maybe I’m out of touch

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't think so.

There's a lot of great BM out there that's non-political or outright leftist with a compelling sound, some of it made by indigenous people.

https://blackbraid.bandcamp.com/album/barefoot-ghost-dance-on-blood-soaked-soil

https://sahhar.bandcamp.com/album/ti-rif-tal-nus

And of course Wayfarer was already mentioned, Untamed Land is another band in the wild west-influenced theme. Waldgeflüster and Windfarer are good if you're into the more melodic and atmospheric sound. Wolfhand, Thermohaline, Spectral Wound, Mare Cognitum, that's just off the top of my head what I've been listening to lately.

I don't think anything of any particular value is lost by boycotting NSBM. No riff is that good.

Dispossessed aren't an exclusively black metal band but they do wreck

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

skasion posted:

A lot of the Crepusculo Negro stuff has/had indigenous flavor

https://youtu.be/d1i2uWCAE8k

https://youtu.be/qxa-8WK4CNI

https://youtu.be/Nwoi9L3kiS4

https://youtu.be/pg85rnNX02M
^bonus for Zapatista-ism (Zapatisteria?)

Zapatismo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

To get back to actual music discussion: this Nechochwen album slays. It's a black metal record but similarly to Havukruunu it has big epic guitar lead moments.

their split with panopticon was great, thanks for the heads up

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Vargatron posted:

I think I would characterize this basho as "sloppy" in both the wrestling and the officiating.

yeah but how are the riffs

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ThePopeOfFun posted:

you know the dm will be good when the gore cover art looks like it's drawn with crayons

like a 9 year old trying to draw his fantasy doom level

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Anybody know what the metal venues are in Seattle? I'm moving there next month. Also good local bands to check out would be appreciated. As in bands who mostly play around town, not the Drawn and Quarteredes or Bell Witches or Metal Churches of the area.

what does this mean for your band, i liked what i heard when you posted your bandcamp then i forgot their name oops

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

It's a really strange combo. I feel like the dudes who are gonna wanna see Obituary aren't gonna be interested in AA and vice versa. I feel like the crowd's gonna be half metalheads who think AA are lame radio melodeath and half AA fans who think Obituary are boring OSDM.

I am in the former and will be attending and will probably end up sticking around and enjoying AA's set.

the absolute funniest thing about AA is that if you listen to the first dethklok record and then twilight of the thunder god, you would think dethklok was a direct parody of it. like varyags of miklagaard and the lost vikings sound eerily similar. but dethklok came out first

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

Wasnt there some actual connection? Maybe a guest vocal from AA or something I seem to remember some sort of crossover. Or maybe theyre just so similar im imagining one.

not afaik but perhaps i missed some Lore

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Weaponized Cum posted:

The Body. Listen to The Body.

Speaking of which, Lingua Ignota. Bonus, the music is even weirder than the vocals

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

New Imperial Triumphant rules. Kenny G has a Metal-Archives page now which is very funny to me.

imperial triumphant leaning into their yakuza influence by hiring jazz guest musicians and doing sax solos was what i've wanted all along, but choosing kenny g is just incredible

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irS9r8BVDJs i never see anyone write about yakuza at all but they were incredible

Kvlt! posted:

i like the idea but to me the actual result sounds very "were trying to do something gimmicky" rather than "Yeah this piece of music genuinely fits a sax solo" and having Kenny G doesnt exactly help

kenny g loving tears that (and it doesn't sound at all like his more famous solo work) and i think the segment fits the song very well. it's a departure from how IT usually incorporate jazz sonically, but structurally it's right in line with what they're doing all over the album

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

blake ibanez from power trip has a new band and it's loving vicious
https://fugitivetx.bandcamp.com/album/maniac

this is pretty cool, but it still sucks about power trip

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CornHolio posted:

Man, Emperor is really branching out with their latest sound.

No one bothers to check that poo poo on any of the streaming services. The list of artists who are just lumped into one because they have the same or similar names is huge.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I had a bit of a backlog and just got to the new cloud rat

holy poo poo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's insane that they're still putting out some of their best material. Blood Spiller is riff of the year.

I absolutely thought Cave In was done after final transmission, which was understandably pretty half baked and just figured they’d move on to projects like mutoid man and wear your wounds. Instead they release a record that some days of the week I’d say is their best ever

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Weaponized Cum posted:

The bass player died in a horrible car explosion and they released the album as is because they simply couldn't carry on completing what they had. Half-baked isn't wrong but the circumstances were quite terrible!

Yeah that’s what I meant by understandably

muike posted:

dime may have been an alcoholic but he was cool with every person he ever interacted with so im not going to speak ill of the guy. playing a confederate flag guitar, at the time, was not nearly as much of a major chud sign as it was now. would he have sucked? maybe, but he never had the chance

There was not a time when a confederate flag was a nice innocent thing that didn’t mean you were a big racist. There was a time when you didn’t recognize it yet

I'm gonna speak ill of him for being in loving Pantera.

Lol indeed

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kvlt! posted:

That's the point. I don't think they were saying the Confederate flag wasn't racist, they were saying that (the majority) of people didn't perceive it as a racist thing back then. I never met the man, but I highly doubt Dimebag was a racist.

The majority of people absolutely knew what it was. When I say there was a time when you didn’t get it, that’s because you (where you is any given person in this conversation) were a naive kid. The notion that people were less racist 30 years ago is absurd

Most racism is carried out unconsciously. In Texas I'm sure the confederate flag is a great source of pride and your average dumbass thinks it's a stand-in for "rebellion" or whatever without critical thought.

Rebelling against what though (the government telling you what to I.e. don’t say the gamer word or refuse to hire black people)

It’s not that grown adults didn’t know what the confederacy was, it’s that it was socially acceptable to think the wrong side won

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

wait the confederate flag is considered racist?

gonna have to get some goo gone and start removing stuff off my car

Yeah it’s a big hassle

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sigh, Pure Wrath, Ashenspire, Cloud Rat, Messa, Esoctrilihum, Imperial Triumphant, Boris (Heavy Rocks), Anal Stabwound, Nechochwen, Negative Plane, Cult of Luna, Mizmor & Thou

Haven’t heard messa, ashenspire, or negative plane yet. All these others would be on my list right now, also Voivod, Hath, Haunter, black matter device, Tomarum, venom prison, artificial brain, asunojokei, revocation, the two gospel records and cave in if you want to count those, liminal shroud, and callous daoboys. That’s probably the top 25% or so of things I listened to this year.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 22, 2022

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Oh yeah blackbraid was good too. I didn’t count soul glo cause it seemed just a step too far from metal.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Soul glo regularly gets talk in the punk thread and on punk sites so I think that's fair

I left out SINNER GET READY by Lingua Ignota too, because while it’s great and she’s done metal in the past and works with full of hell and the body all the time, the new record has almost no traces of that style left at all

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

as opposed to Pantera, who is Metallica for men who beat their wives

goddamn lol

escuela grind, morgue, full of hell ep, just in the last month or so

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

drat got a lot to go on now, thanks! Escuela grind seem like more of that good power violence / grindcore

I came back to recommend you the many eyed seraphim record from last year, which led me to google them, which led me to this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiocular_O

Anyway here’s their bandcamp

https://alabasterbalthazar.bandcamp.com/album/many-eyed-seraphim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I still have to stuff to re-listen to (just don't have the time anymore!) but I think I finalized my top 10 for the year overall and am pretty solid on the top 10 of just metal albums:

1. Sigh - Shiki: How Mirai continuously reinvents himself is really quite something. Mike Heller is an incredible addition on drums. They haven't been this aggressive in over a decade. Probably my favorite since Imaginary Sonicscape.

2. Ashenspire - Hostile Architecture: Scottish radical anarchist avant-garde metal. In a great year for polemical heavy music this is the best one. Really cool and eclectic instrumentation.

3. Cloud Rat - Threshold: Grindcore with the emotional catharsis of the best screamo. Two absolute killers in a row for them. Probably the best grind band around now.

4. Pure Wrath - Hymn to the Woeful Hearts: The most gorgeous black metal of the year. Nothing original, just really stirring stuff about the Indonesian genocide.

5. Imperial Triumphant - Spirit of Ecstacy: Best skronks of the year. Dizzying, unpredictable stuff. Kenny G has a Metal-Archives page now lol

6. Wormrot - Hiss: Their best work! Lots of different styles incorporated and Arif went all-out for his farewell. Curious to hear what the new Wormrot sounds like without him.

7. Anal Stabwound - Reality Drips Into the Mouth of Indifference: This literal child put out an incredible piece of Defeated Sanity worship.

8. Esoctrilihum - Consecration of the Spiritus Flesh: Don't know how this guy keeps doing it but nobody is crushing it at the same clip as Asthaghul. Horrific blackened death goodness as usual.

9. Messa - Close: I waffle between this and Ashenspire as the ideal 2022 metal album for non-metal fans. It's got a doom base but it's more textural than it is crushing. Great vocals and saxophone. Just a cool experience.

10. Undeath - It's Time... to Rise From the Grave: Prosthetic obviously put a lot of hype behind this because it's baffling that a standard OSDM album was the token metal release to get praise on many music sites' AOTY lists. But execution trumps originality here. This is the most fun record of the year. Only Anal Stabwound and Pharmacist come close in that department.

Honorable mentions: Chat Pile, Boris (Heavy Rocks), The Chasm, Cult of Luna, Ripped to Shreds, Negative Plane, Doldrum, White Ward, Morrow, Mizmor & Thou, Faceless Burial, SpiritWorld

nechochwen didn't even make your honorable mentions wth

i have a few more things to listen to but my top 10 in no order is probably

Nechochwen
Ashenspire
Sigh
Hath
Cloud Rat
Haunter
Esoctrilihum but both records combined so i'm cheating
imperial triumphant
voivod
cult of luna

but i'm leaving off tons of things i loved or like da lot, venom prison, mizmor & thou, cave in because it's metal adjacent, black matter device, artificial brain, tomarum, liminal shroud, blackbraid, tulip, asunojokei, revocation, callous daoboys, god alone, messa, sawtooth grin, white ward...it was a really good year.

I'm gonna go see imperial triumphant with couch slut and cloak next month, first show in forever

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 6, 2023