Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I always felt that here in Germany, second language education is great while third language education sucks. Despite both being taught by the same teachers.
Part of that is that because the most common second language is English which is obviously useful and thus easy to motivate.
Part of that is because many old foggies still try to push Latin as the preferred third language, they only recently gave up on advertising as the best second language.
But a large part is still that there is a lot of teaching time in syllabus for the second language while the third is borderline optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Platystemon posted:

It’s beautiful.

Now do it again while remembering that Britain has land borders with turkey and spain. And also French new guinea exists.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

HookShot posted:

Would anyone be interested in a polmaps discord?

Yes

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Intriguing reddit find:

Really makes me wonder what they mean by "normal" conservatism, that presumably isn't religious or nationalist.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

lol really

Western culture wins again, (almost) flawless cultural victory. Although I'm guessing the 'phonetic' input is specifically based on English. Hats off to the Englishpeople, for all of the poo poo we give them

Joke is on you. The Chinese phonetic romanization is originally based on french system and the japanese one the german system. Because everybody hates anglos.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Rumda posted:

Or like African Americans being weary of medical trials after the Tuskegee syphilis experiment, the deaf community especially in the US have a history of forcible experimental medical procedures being carried out on them and their children 'for the greater good'
Or like hypothetical people saying that abolishing slavery has destroyed the former slaves vibrant culture and made them indistinguishable from the country's majority.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The city I live in has an element named after it. It caused the city to name a really dumb looking conference centre after it, and the nearby parts of the city are full of dumb looking signs leading there. Don't let this happen to you.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

What is that Soviet enclave in Eastern Europe...?

Probably supposed to be albania.
I want to know what happened to Rügen? Was it expanded and moved west? And the polish coast.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

gently caress off Batman posted:

Apparently a lot of people do since they are still crossing the border to vote for themselves. But yeah, EBU not caring about it makes perfect sense, thanks for the answer! Will drop it now.

Wouldn't hat imply that last year had very different voting patterns, when the borders were closed? I didn't pay attention if eurovision even happened so I wouldn't know.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Count Roland posted:

The 'Stans of the former USSR, minus Kazakhstan.

The borders are stupidly obtuse. This does happen sometimes, like Holland/Belgium or India/Bangladesh, but this is when there's a messy war fought in the area.

Yet the countries of Central Asia were colonized by Russia in the 19th century. Looking at Africa you'd expect unreasonably straight borders, not the intentionally stupid ones we have today.
What made them this way? I assume it was some kind of sovjet era gerrymandering.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Yes - and that was the point I wanted to make - some ideologies or religions lend themselves to these interpretations far, far more easily. It never stops buttfaces from trying it with ideologies and religions that are much harder to break this way, though, if you look at that Buddhist extremist in Burma leading genocide campaigns on the Rohingya.

But that is more of a chicken and egg thing, I would say.
If you are an imperialist society you will end up with an imperialist variant of your religion. If you have an imperialist religion your society will be more imperialist. If you are a victim of imperialism you will end up with an anti-imperialist variant of your religion.
Same is true with almost all plausible moral judgement and almost all value systems.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

oxford_town posted:

how does England share a land border with France?

if the Falklands don't count as "England" (and they shouldn't) then neither should Gibraltar

The map seems to be based on noticing of the France/Brazil border.
They should have made it clear if they consider England to border France, Spain or both.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

are we sure it's not? It's based on Britain, why did he decide to make it bigger in a medievalish setting?

Half on it is based on Britain. And during that westeross is the size of Britain.
The other half is based on Europe. And during that Westeross is the size of Europe (including Scandinavia).

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Ahh, the political maps classic:
According to the information available, none of the officials involved in the negotiations have visited Hans Island

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I agree that calling the Russia retroactively an member of the anti-communist axis is possible. But is a wide enough definition of Axis that you really have to include Finland and Spain as members of the extended axis before that.

And that is just the second most politically loaded part of the map. Because it is very clear that occupied countries are divided between "side of the occupier" and "side of the populace" based on how the maker feels about that population.

Most extreme is Ukraine, topically. They were part of the USSR during the whole MR-Pact period, and later they got conquered by the axis and thus "joined" in the same way that Korea or Ethiopia did.

Also: I am allied east Prussia.
e: And btw. while Russia is complicated on the map. The true USSR is clearly indicated as being always part of the Allies.
ee: Oh, god. I get it. This map means to imply that the MR-Pact was between Russia and the Axis while going around Stalin's SU-Government. So it must imply that Molotov and Stalin were uninvolved in the decision and thus blameless, clearly.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 27, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

At the absolute least, the USSR and Germany were co-belligerents. I mean the Soviets didn't accidentally stumble into Poland, they weren't lost and trying to ask for directions
If you look at the map that started the discussion, you will clearly see that Russia and the Axis were those co-belligerents. And Germany as an independent actor or the USSR as a whole were unaffected. So, clearly neither Molotov nor Ribbentov were involved in any events that could lead to Russia being accused of being part of the Axis.
There is no other interpretation of the map that makes sense to me.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/2HW4gOK_d.png

price of a cup of espresso in the capital cities.

Man getting urls from imgur on mobile is annoying.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

BonHair posted:

Georgia is definitely more safe than Germany.

I also like Mexico being "other". What does that even mean?

I am choosing to believe it means that you will be mistakenly shot when trying to go back from mexico to the us.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

In Germany the difference between general schools, vocational schools and job schools is very classist.
So, going through a specialized schools or going to college after spending time working is very much seen as a lower middle class/upper working class thing.
It used to be the middle class thing back when the school system was designed, before college got as common as it is today.

There used to be a lot of very politically loaded graphs of the possible schooling paths. But all the modern ones I can find googling try a bit to hide the obvious class distincitons.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
Seems similar to how the commies used to lay out the big building blocks too
Yeah, all midrise colonies are based on the same underlying thought processes.
The main difference is actually that the westernsuccessful ones were built around train stations that commutes you to a city with diverse jobs. While the sovjet failed ones commute you to a single factory that defines the wealth of your settlement.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

wait french stop signs are in english? Why?

Because all stop signs in the EU are in English.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Eiba posted:

Actually, not that there's any real credence to the meaning but... the coordinates are just north- how far they are from the equator.

You're right about the meter though. It's crazy that the revolutionary French secretly knew the speed of light and defined the meter based on the position of the Pyramids from the equator.

It wasn't a secret that the revolutionary French knew the speed of light. The first reasonable measurement predates the definition of the metre by roughly 100 years.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Private Speech posted:

That's great and all, but can't you just change the law so both receipts and posted prices have to include the sales tax by default.

Theoretically, but afaik the law that forces people to include VAT on labels is an advertising law and not a tax law. And the US of course hates making companies tell the truth.
And recipies? Those print the price without tax, the tax and the price with tax. Don't they do that in the US?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Blut posted:

Is that a pro-Japanese propaganda poster in Dutch? Where did that come from?

It says on the bottom 1942. So it was printed while Holland was part of the axis.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Would a rolling president be distinct from a sitting president?

If he is standing while the plane lands instead of sitting, he will also be rolling.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

There was also this link in the reddit thread:
https://geodienst.github.io/lighthousemap/
A blinking lighhouse map with the correct blinking sequences for each lighthouse.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What would you even do as a lighthouse keeper? It's just a big house with a lamp. so this sounds like a job where you play computer games with a dank seaside view?
A lighthouse keeper is basically a janitor.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Wau

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Turkey and Ethiopia and Thailand being no-data

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Portugal and the US are in Africa?

https://ourworldindata.org/afforestation

Increasing political load puts Portugal back into eastern Europe:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

i say swears online posted:

the war drums pound for Greater Monaco

Build a statue of Knut the Great for good luck.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The most interesting middle name story is about a group of Iranian's I used to work with. They were all Mohammed and used their middle names in most situations.
It was very confusing to visitors because semi-formal conversation standards in German (and name signs/plates) ignore middle names.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, you made me check the actual incest situation in Germany, and it specifically defines incest as penis in vagina sex between close relatives. That is why the map stated that gay sex is ok, it doesn't count as sex for those purposes.
And if the perpetrator is a minor it is "Straffrei" meaning that it is technically illegal but the prosecutions are not allowed to charge anybody. So that part is also misleading.

Also, German Wikipedia states that Austria and Switzerland have the same penis in vagina requirement as Germany. Meaning that map is kinda questionable.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

:raise:

I don't doubt you, but...what's the point of outlawing something if you're not allowed to prosecute it?

In German law it is somewhat common and mostly happens as part of phasing out some old law. Especially if a recently elected governing party promised to make it legal and chickens out. Most famous "Straffrei" thing in Germany is Pot.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Why does China think that Brazil is safe?

Why does Germany think that Sweden is unsafe?

I checked the German website. And the map is lazy, as usual.

Neither Sweden nor the US are on the travel warning list. Looking for the country directly gives me a specific travel warning for Stockholm due to unusual amount of Terrorism and for some parts of the US due to being on fire.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

BonHair posted:

But what about the times when you'd use "Mr President"?

Also, allegedly, the Germans stack titles. I knew someone who got two different doctorates, and apparently she could be referred to as "doktor doktor lastname". I think we even found train tickets or something where that was an option for title.

That is something that exist in written German, but not in spoken German. So someone's office sign or letterhead might say "Prof. Dr. Dr. habil ...", but actually saying the full thing would get you very funny looks.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

My first thought was that I am fairly certain that Zürich is more expensive then Berlin. My second thought was "lol, they be cheating".

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Germany still automatically has you tithe part of your income to your church as part of your taxes if you're registered as a Catholic or Lutheran. And it can apparently be quite a pain to be taken off the church's lists to avoid paying them.

If by pain you mean they make you sit in their waiting room for several hours for a one minute procedure, it used to be a pain. Though those kind of waiting queues were changed a lot during the rona, so quitting church might be actually easy these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

In Northern Europe a lot of non-chain pizza places are also kebab places where they probably originally thought "hmmm these Europeans don't know what the heck a Kebab is but they love pizza so I better have that on the menu as well"

In Germany there were a lot of pure kebab places that were very successful and bought the pizza ovens after they outcompeted the neighbouring pizza place. And then they also offered to put the meat on the pizza.

Mid or up scale kebap places also end up with good ovens because they make their own bread or at least pide. And then they also offer pizza.

For example there is a kebab place near me where they offer calzone "special" with kebab meat, suzuk and joghurt filling that I really want to post in one of the food threads. But they put their normal kebab into amazing freshly baked bread, so I refuse to order anything else.