Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Note re: the all powerfullness of the dragon balls. They are almost always just powerful enough that the main bad guy needs to be prevented from getting them but just weak enough that you can't just get them first and wish mcbaddy was never born or anything.

Enter the Super Dragon Balls.

These are the size of planets and are distributed across two of the twelve universes (no really) for basically no thoroughly explained reason. The titular dragon balls that the original manga was named for were ostensibly created to mimick the super dragon balls but until somebody wishes for a super-history lesson this doesn't shed any insight into why these things exist and only exist in two universes (to the best of our knowledge).

So what do the super dragon balls do?

Supposidly anything. This has not been tested against the powers of some of dragon ball's greater dieties (wait till we get into the child emporer of all creation) but for the moment any wish that has been made upon the super dragon balls has been granted no muss no fuss. If you can't currently move seven planet sized objects across two universes into one location I recommend you start delivering milk by foot in the mornings. Wear weights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

I thought I may well die without seeing this. You have made these salty old bones very happy.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Black August posted:

That the old guard have created unsustainable levels and growths, and have forced their youth towards it relentlessly with no care for their own goals or needs to contribute in society, dragged into disaster after disaster by their elders as they seek out non-family figures for genuine validation, their potential taken and forced to be burnt out on the whims of the overdriven?

Actually the youth of today just really like the color green

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm still holding that candle for pikkon.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

Why do people want white super saiyan hair so badly? It's so boring looking

So super saiyan is all yellow and glowy. Getting even brighter rules out anything below yellow on the color spectrum and since obviously the power comes from how loving bright you are, being brighter would be more powerful.

Since pure white is pretty much the only step left after yellow (additive color system) Bing bang boom you have your next form.

Note that all of this reasoning was from before god ki was a thing now it is very obvious that bluer = better our whole premise was hosed.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

sassassin posted:

Kid Goku would kick the poo poo out of SSBSSKK Goku.

Well yeah adult goku has never had someone run up and touch his dick in a fight before.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'd actually love an arc where piccollo and vegeta were cuffed together and had to become BFFs to survive.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

another piccolo would grow from the arm, to spite him

Yep I'd love this idea.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Arguably with dende in charge it's a miracle shenron can bring you a glass of water.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Momomo posted:

Hey Dende does an alright job as guardian, he even powered the dragon up. If we wanna talk about poo poo management, that's entirely on Shin.

All I see is a box of bandaids with a butler.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

I'd rather see cell come back than zamasu

Cell never hugged himself.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

sassassin posted:

Goten had the scene where he has to teach his dad how to buy a gift. He's a good kid.

Goten being just like goku but not an idiot is the best possible idea because it means Goten could very likely become the strongest most pure hearted being in universe 7 but also not an idiot.

Edit- dende will never come down off that tower.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Buu saga actually concluded in a very satisfying way for me which was a strange situation because I very distinctly remember watching it from day to day and wondering how they were possibly gonna make something more intimidating than Cell was and then that shifted into how they could possibly defeat something that turned you into candy and couldn't be harmed (and so on) but by requiring both the (totally illegitimate) faith of the earth, which wrapped up the Hercule almost saves the earth with bath time and game boy subplot nicely and by requiring Vegeta to experience genuine character development( because unlike goku he could actually be for-real gone if kid buu doublekilled him) they even had buufight buufor a while it was a perfect pro wrestling face turn.

I was really sure even as a little babby that I couldn't possibly see the pink gum man go down without there being a gigantic asspull but they used a move they hadn't tried with a bunch of excuses for it being way more effective and at the end both Hercule and Vegeta were completed characters (lol super I know). Goku didn't actually do much but I made my peace with that while he was still doing pushups on the road to namek.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Goten is destined to do things, Goku is the most marketable icon of Dragon ball and now that the "wish him to be younger" well is poisoned the hungry businessmen in charge are gonna bust out the "Goten series" emergency valve three months after they pull the "Vegeta and Goku's final battle" lever.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Realtalk: have audiences moved on? Goku will mysteriously invent a reason to go punch Vegeta if audiences demand it and somehow I suspect they do.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I like goku the same amount still? What are some reasons you have soured on old-gold?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

That Yardrat dude is definitely dead, he just didn't die until after frieza threw him out of the arena

I like how this episode brought back Gohan's acting skills after his brief hollywood stint

I was expecting universe 7 to toss him a senzu bean but nahhhh

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

he's not dead it's fine

he will get erased in a few minutes tho

Technically he won't be dead then either so it's double fine.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbf if your touchstone for the namek saga is the original anime, it must be hard to keep what happened straight when 90% of it is filler

I just believe that filler is the most true parts of the story so it's actually very easy for me.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

multijoe posted:

DBZ exponential power level growth is dead, rejoice!

This is but a lull the power growth in Dragon ball trends toward infinity.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
For me it's exciting every week to see how the writers can possibly challenge a being who can potentially destroy the universe if his fist hits a gods fist hard enough.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kanos posted:

It would be a pretty lovely move for super heroes who dedicate their lives to protecting the people of their universe to risk their universe being deleted from existence because they got cold feet about being unfair to an extremely powerful opponent. Hell, those two poor injured people that the troopers oh-so-honorlessly ganged up on proceeded to kick the poo poo out of the five pride troopers combined, proving only that the Pride Troopers should have used even more force.

In fact the only rear end in a top hat on the show who always lets his opponents almost win is........

It's goku

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kashuno posted:

Welp

See ya hit

I mean how good can stopping time to walk up to and subsequently kick the crap out of someone really be when the person your about to kick is more than happy to stand stock still and let you kick him as hard as you can while time passes normally.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

my personal theory on ultrinstinct -

when Cell exploded in space and killed goku he insterted a piece of his soul inside goku. all this time the tiny, mostly-dormant piece of Cell has been absorbing energy and learning and growing while watching goku grow. when goku passed out from the spirit bomb, the tiny Cell in goku's brain used the energy from the spirit bomb to temporarily awaken and took control of the body. thats why its an "omen" - when Cell fully reawakens he will burst out of goku's noggin and be the strongest being in the megaverse, stronger than all the GoDs and angels

I doubt this theory but good effort

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Trunks actually defeating Zamasu would have gone against everything Super is going for thematically, at least so far anyways with the return to these Journey to the West elements.

Why

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
How could they not wish the innocents back it's Dragon ball.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Raxivace posted:

Right. The show's been what about what were previously the most characters ever being at the mercy of gods they cannot actually defeat, and different forms that relationship can take. BoG/RoF has Beerus and Whis being somewhat sympathetic to Goku and co by training and helping them., the U6 vs. U7 Tournament introduce the idea of them being more or less playthings for divine and petty rivalries, Zamasu is a vengeful angry god, and the current arc has stressed the seeming apathy by which the Grand Priest and Zeno rule the universes. It's all variations on, idk, maybe subjugation is the word.

This is a good post because I never gave this aspect thought before and now I think you could even be right.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You can't even get Vegeta to talk about the differences in his kids.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

extra row of teeth posted:

Vegeta's response to anything these days is "tch".

While the special was loving amazing, the real hero has yet to enter the show; Ultra Instinct Yamcha and his epic battle against his arch enemy

Wanna see this special especially when saibaman is finally turned good.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Fat Buu is the best idea because any bad guy you could conceivably want Buu to steal you a win against by absorbing him would also be an even worse problem once Buu' s personality shifts to reflect his more evil side. Also p.s. he is gonna be stronger now.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
All you have to do is believe that episode happened and it happened.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Punchman got punched too hard and his body broke.

Punch show solution is to punch him again, restoring his will to keep punching and thus bringing him back to life.

The second time was an energy punch.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I mean he can't exactly usurp King Dog's position without a vote...

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Fartbox posted:

Vegeta destroys a planet, slaughters a bunch of namekians and then gleefully incinerate a stadium of innocent bystanders. Actually looking at this clip it seems he destroys an entire city block

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n95Xxpb1oJE

Vegeta is 100% a oval office. But also real interesting to watch because of it

Morality is a difficult thing in the Dragon ball universe as has been pointed out. The concept of a heaven and a hell gets very difficult to maintain when you are forced to not only reckon with whether the quantity of lives saved by saving the universe (and since Buu was attacking the afterlife in some filler iirc Vegeta actually saved a significant amount of the staff of the afterlife! Bureaucratic bias anyone?) Was worth more than the untold millions potentially trillions he killed with glee.

I wouldn't want to be the one calling up widows to mention they shouldn't be surprised if they see their late husband minigolfing with his murderer and the king of all demons once they pass on.

Then you get down to the most realistic Dragon ball premise of all. Desperate survival against a malicious universe. Honestly the afterlife can't afford to piss off Vegeta because he is just dumb enough to be willing to fight anyone... even for a cause he cares nothing about like peace in universe 7.

So where does that leave Vegeta? Where does that leave morality? I personally think that redemption is for everyone and so I am inclined to think of him as good. While it's definitely true he has made no effort whatsoever to fix his past mistakes he has also done a significant amount that was a risk to his own existence when he honestly didn't need to. I'll even go as far as to say that it might be worse to not exist in Dragon ball z than it is to be dead and (presumably) in heaven and I think given that most of the people who were actually in charge of the afterlife weren't willing to risk nonexistence and Vegeta was it should be noted in his favor.

As a living person( the second time around... third?) Vegeta has also done a good amount to continue fighting for others whilst not using his abilities to amuse himself at others expense which I think is a sign he really is motivated differently now.

Finally he is currently engaged in his SECOND battle for the fate of his whole universe.

Is there a point where space Hitler has saved the universe enough times that he just isn't evil mathematically anymore??? I dunno. I think if he's settled down then maybe it's not even an important question. Do I think morality is possible from a bunch of self interested dieties that need to make deals with space Hitler to keep them all comfortable? Definitely. (Not!)

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 23, 2017

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

actually I believe you'll find all literary forms of conflict fit into dragonball

This has me thinking in a lot of ways I view Zeno as an allegory for us, the audience. So frieza basically wants to murder us is the plot.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I'm on the road to Cell-Dorado

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I love how up to date it is. That's the sleeper realization that we'll be getting more of these.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I actually rewatched it just recently and it wasn't bad but it didn't really hold up like I remembered.

:sigh:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Raserys posted:

a goku gohan fusion would have very confused feelings about chichi

Seems like both would remember living in terror?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Minion of Freya posted:

Can someone clue me in on why Shaggy is A Thing?

You either watched Scooby Doo and The Reluctant Werewolf when you were six or you didn't.