Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Was fiddling with my PS2 today(had bought an HDMI adaptor for it a while ago) and on a whim decided to boot up Budokai Tenkaichi 1 and got to the story mode mission where you fight Guldo with Chiaotzu and man Chiaotzu is just maximum sass with him, makes me picture a version of that "Sassy Lost Child" meme from One Punch Man with those two

Really makes me wish that series of games could come back, the Xenoverse games were fun but now I just want them to do another game that has like 150+ characters in it, especially all the weird and obscure movie and filler villains(especially the mooks and minions like the Bio-Warriors from World's Strongest), not to mention being able to properly do transformations and fusions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Random stupid idea I just had, Makyo Star and Big Gete Star fusion

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Lol I totally forgot Uub existed until someone here mentioned him, when I read that new chapter I was thinking "They're going to bring back kid Buu?!?"

You weren't wrong technically

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They really need to have a serious enemy who's in a giant robot. I suppose size difference fight scenes are tricky but still.

...comedy option: the final trump card is the return of The Amazing Fighting Candy.

Well if we're counting movies there was Dr Wheelo

Love that they included the Pilaf machines in Budokai Tenkaichi 3

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kefla continues the trend of fusions pulling crazy new moves out of nowhere. I wonder how that works.

Probably because Fusion is funky magic with either method, odd things are going to happen if two guys suddenly merge into a single one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

Gee Trunks, why do you get to have a boyfriend and a girlfriend?

So that recurring joke that Team Four Star does in Abridged where someone has sex and at the end fires off a signature attack, except this time it's one of Gotenks's weird attacks like Galactic Donuts or Super Ghost Kamikaze Attack then?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Speaking of special attacks, what would be your guys's favorite specific use of a special attack in the franchise, mine would be the Kaio-Ken boosted Kamehameha from World's Strongest(which I'd post the relevant clip of but there aren't any videos on YouTube for the Ocean Dub version which is the best version for that movie), though that movie in general did a good job of making even the most basic moves look great

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ox King is one of those characters who despite never getting a lot of focus is kinda fascinating, particularly how he apparently had a Power Level of 1000*, which means that for a long time he was one of the strongest people on Earth hypothetically, though it's balanced out by the fact that he apparently could never get a hang of actually using anything that uses Ki

Which probably explains the crazy potential of Gohan and Goten almost as much as them having Goku for a dad, they also had very good genes on their mother's side(kinda makes one wonder how high Chi Chi could have gone if she hasn't decided to focus almost completely on being a housewife and mother)

*admittedly said source is kinda iffy, but from my recollection it mostly matches up with what we saw in the source material through the early parts of Z

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Chi-Chi is lowkey probably the most powerful non-Ki using non-android woman on Earth (there are a few scenes where she breaks almost as much stuff as Goku when she loses her temper), and she did teach Goten how to fight and train him well enough he went Super Saiyan. Starting to make sense why Pan is showing signs of being ridiculously powerful, given her grandpas are Ox King, Mr Satan and Goku.

Speaking of stuff lost in translation, Goten apparently calls Vegeta something like 'uncle'.

You know it would make for a fun several episode arc in the next show if a situation came up that had to be resolved by all the non-Ki using characters in the cast

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

Mr. Satan is a very good human level martial artist.

He'd be a good match for King Choppa or that one actor martial artist.

He's never, ever been on Goku's level, and Krillin left him behind the moment he went through Roshi's super human training.

Chi-Chi beat Super Sayian into a child. She'd win.

Way I see it is that Mr Satan is basically the absolute peak a Martial artist can get without having any Ki control whatsoever, Chi Chi on the other hand I feel probably does have some extremely limited Ki control, not enough to fly or any other fancy tricks*, but it's definitely why she was able to handle training Goten

I do feel like that if through time travel shenanigans we got a fight between Mr Satan at his prime vs Kid Goku at his first World's Martial Arts tournament it would be a surprisingly close match, Goku would still win, but it would last surprisingly long

*which I figure has more to do with her overall lack of interest in fighting once she got married than in her potential, if she had to train up properly for some reason she'd probably end up higher than Yamcha easily and I could see her possibly reaching Tien or even Krillin's level

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 11, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the topic of hypothetical Dragon Ball games, one idea I've had for ages is an RPG that would cover the entire saga(including Movies and other side materials), with the main gimmick being that you'd be able to recruit am extremely wide assortment of characters throughout the game and unlike in canon if you put the effort in you can have pretty much any character keep pace with the Saiyans*

*somewhat influenced by that one game they did on the Super Famicom where you could with effort keep characters alive and bring them to Namek and make them stronger(including having Chiaotzu be the one Captain Ginyu bodyjacks and thus become a lot stronger through it)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Heroes had Old Broly and New Broly meet yet?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Webbeh posted:

Well now you've seeded that idea into the world. thanksssss.

Countdown until it appears in DBH.

Just wait till we get a meeting between those two and Bio Broly

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

On the topic of good fights just rewatched Dead Zone and World's Strongest and man those movies are fun to watch

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skeleton Mom posted:

Revenge has certainly been done a few times before. Dr. Gero, Paragus in both canons and Baby (if we want to count GT stuff) were motivated by revenge against the saiyans in general or Goku specifically. Freeza is revenge-motivated too, but it's not his sole motivation. That said, all of those characters were clearly assholes prior to dedicating themselves to revenge, so we might get to see more of a corruption angle to this.

Not to mention a lot of the movie villains like Garlic Jr or Dr Wheelo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Moro looks at Broly and sees a giant hot dog like a cartoon character starving on a deserted island

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Would like to see the alternate ending where Broly keeps powering up until Moro pops like a mosquito.

This bit came to mind;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psoAtTD0NHc

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

projecthalaxy posted:

plus the big gete star isn't even that big, for a star

More like the decent sized gete moon imo

Same could be said for the Makyo Star for that matter

and now I'm imagining the stupidity that would be the two fusing somehow

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

hatty posted:

This is the only Cooler related moment I remember

Dr Wheelo does something similar too during his movie

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

I liked Cooler's henchmen. :shrug:

Most of the movie henchmen are neat and I would kill for them to make it into the video games someday, let me play as the Bio Warriors or the Spice Boys rather than just rehashing the same stilted rosters Dragon Ball as a franchise has had since they killed off the Budokai Tenkaichi series after 3

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Star Man posted:

I liked the premise of movie 6 because I'm a sucker for hive minds, machine armies, and watching them regenerate. But I've only seen movies 1-3, 5, 6, and 8 only the only one I hated was Broly.

You should watch Lord Slug, it's pretty fun, especially since the English dub adds a bunch of butt rock for some reason

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Justin_Brett posted:

Return of Cooler is probably in the running for one of the worst Dragon Ball things in general, it's such an ugly, cheap movie for such a big franchise.

It's especially weird considering the five movies before it are overall pretty good, and none of the seven after it get as bad as it does

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

there's room for both a watsonian and doylist explanation

Also the Watsonian one is usually the more interesting one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BoosterDuck posted:

I keep forgetting the most pointless mofos zarbon, dodoria and 19 were in budokai 1 even though they just existed to get clobbered by vegeta

why was gero even in the game he never fought anyone

That's why Budokai Tenkaiichi 3 is the best game in the franchise, it includes all those shmucks and many more*

*still not enough mind you, we need a game that includes literally every character in the franchise who can fight or at least hypothetically could

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Aurora posted:

they should really just make xenoverse 3 though

A Budokai Tenkaiichi 4 would be better(yeah they do play similarly but BT3 plays better than either Xenoverse game due to being a pure fighting game rather than trying to hybrid in a bunch of RPG elements all half-assed)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

BT has the limitation that you absolutely need someone else to play it with because the story mode tends to be just "Dragon Ball again but heavily abridged" so it lasts little, while Xenoverse tends to at least try to have an unique story (even if it doesn't exploit its setting to its fullest potential outside of Fu's missions) with the extra missions giving you lots to do on your own with your OC.

I'd rather have more Xenoverse than more Budokai Tenkaichi.

Not like they couldn't backport that kind of thing to BT, those games had unique story stuff as well after all, also they had plenty of single player content anyways

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

bowmore posted:

Kakarot was really fun I don't care what anyone says

It controlled like rear end

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

bowmore posted:

maybe you are just bad at video games

I'm plenty good, the controls in that game are horrid

Xenoverse 1 & 2 aren't a whole lot better in their default schemes but it's easier to get them to something reasonably acceptable(if still overall inferior to the Budokai Tenkaiichi series)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Eeeh Gohan at least gets to display how obviously more powerful he is compared to Buu and while it's a one-sided beatdown it's still a pretty cool one. SSJ3's power boost keeps you alive against Buu but doesn't win fights against him (outside of the hypothetical situation where Gotenks doesn't gently caress around as much) which is a minus.

Buu Saga would have been better if it had ended with Mystic Gohan just curbstomping Super Buu and stopping there, but then I have a very low opinion of that arc in general

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, at the time it felt like complete overkill. Resurrection "F" shows us that no, Trunks was completely in the right in being that careful because Freeza's durability is absolute bullshit.

And shows that Cell's own bullshit wasn't just from Namekian regeneration being overclocked to 11

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

All I know is that I miss when Recoome's dub voice was a bad Arnold Schwarzenegger impression rather than his current one where he sounds like someone who gets most of their calories from Bert and Ernie dolls

Also that the Funimation dubs for Movies 1 to 3 suck eggs compared to the old Ocean dubs

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nanigans posted:

Chris Sabat is a very good voice actor. Piccolo, Yamcha, Armstrong, All Might.

Sadly, his most famous voice as Vegeta is unforgivably bad. Especially compared to Horikawa.

So I'm not the only one imagining him using the Armstrong voice for Vegeta instead right?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Granolah probably doesn't know Freiza can transform so he's going to have quite the shock when/if he confronts him.

Would be hilarious if his wish only took into account base form power and not stuff like Super Saiyan or Golden Frieza

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Which band did the buttrock in the English dub for Lord Slug, cause I say bring them back

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Shaggy Verde and Shaggy Rojo being separate characters is too funny, and SS4 Shaggy Rojo being the werewolf Shaggy from that one old movie is a masterstroke

Especially since it's a gag that Scooby-Doo already did, as well as the "Badass Shaggy" scenes from one of the more recent movies

TwoPair posted:

It's time for Garlic Jr.'s time to shine!

Honestly that would be hype as hell

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Lots of Heroes stuff if they want to go there, classic DB, manga-only stuff, minor characters that aren't in the game already but could be...Dragon Ball is big, and the only game that was genuinely close to "complete" in the history of the franchise was Budokai Tenkaichi 3, where it was significantly smaller. Also rebalances to the avatar system, with the new stuff, every race that needs it (not Saiyans) except Majins could get a new transformation (Orange for Namekians, Black for Freezas, and you can justify Beast for Earthlings since Gohan specifically didn't want to grow as a Saiyan), while having Ultra Instinct (and Sign?) and Ego as generic transformations for all races.

Which reminds me, found out about a fan project for a Budokai Tenkaichi 4 that's being done through modifying BT3, unfortunately while the fact that they're doing this at all is impressive the results are actually pretty lame since in order to put in any new characters/transformations they have to overwrite existing characters to do so

It's a shame really cause a proper BT4 that included truly everyone would be amazing, but then I'm one of those weirdos who has wanted goons like the Bio Warriors or the Spice Boys to be playable in a Dragon Ball game(that isn't card or gacha based) for most of my life

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Xenoverse three won’t really be sold on what characters are in it. More what improvements they make.

Kind of like Madden really just less frequent

Which is odd because outside of expanding the roster the only thing I can think to really improve is finally properly implement transformations for characters who have ones more complicated than the basic Super Saiyan type ones, and maybe make energy charging a universal ability instead of one that has to be equipped

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

How's Kakarot as a game, anyway, compared to Xenoverse? I know it's a single-player open-world RPG where you play as Goku rather than a mission-based online-heavy game where you build your own customised character, but apart from that.

When I tried it I found the controls to be unusably terrible

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Cell MAX is exactly why I would love a hypothetical Budokai Tenkaichi 4, that series handled the giant characters better than any other game for the franchise

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

There's two specific points where I'd say Buu Saga really starts to dip, Super Buu breaking out the absorption trick(particularly that he uses it three loving times in a row to get rid of an opponent that would have been a more interesting one to fight than Goku and Vegeta), and the other being Kid Buu in his entirety, like I think we can all agree that Kid Buu is the least interesting main villain in the entirety of the franchise besides maybe Hirudegarn(if we count stuff like movies and games), he's just a mindless berserker who does nothing but punch, scream, and blow poo poo up and not even in particularly interesting ways either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

To be fair that’s just plain because Kaioken had a short run, it basically just gets used for the stretch between Goku v Nappa up until SSJ, it’s not like Solar Flare where it’s introduced back in Dragonball and the only way to no-sell it is to have Master Roshi nearby.

Always did find it weird that Krillen, Tien, or Yamcha never tried learning the Kaio-Ken at some point, particularly during the several year gap between Trunks' first visit and the Androids showing up, at least from a Watsonian perspective that is, most of these kind of things in Dragon Ball have the rather simple Doylist explanations of either Editorial Interference or Toriyama's absolutely abysmal memory