Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Hammerite posted:

has it occurred to anyone else that blockchains might actually be bad, and not good?

Not until this exact moment. Thank you, OP, I am now wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Have there been enough prominent rug pulls yet to enable me to mint a line of rug pull NFTs? Initial value based on how much they got away with, of course.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Foo Diddley posted:

well, i sure hope everything is entered perfectly with no mistakes ever

It's Italian car mechanics, surely you're not questioning their upright nature and attention to detail?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

DrPossum posted:

a non-NFT is just an FT :mad:

I mean who would want to play a videogame if you have to use the same character as other people?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Powered Descent posted:

Back in the day, 10-12 years ago, I pointed and laughed at the bitcoin antfarm and kept up with all the details. (I was there when Bruce's phone vibrated off the arm of the chair.) But I haven't followed the story for many years; I've only looked in now and then at the last page or two of this thread. So I do know how blockchains work and what NFTs are (lol) and why this entire thing is a house of cards built upon nothing, but I haven't the slightest idea who/what Terra or Luna or anything else is, or what exactly happened to cause this big crash that's somehow all over the real-world news.

So, a challenge, for anyone who cares to take it up: please summarize for me what the gently caress has happened here. Difficulty level: do it in one sentence.

Go.

Line go down.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

ChronoBasher posted:

DEI and fUSD stablecoins have de-pegged.

Apparently the "Scream" lending platform had the values of these hard coded as $1, and people were able to load them up with a bunch of bad debt (35mil) and run off with stablecoins that have not de-pegged:
https://cryptoslate.com/scream-protocol-losses-millions-to-stablecoin-depeg/

Oh, code being law...

Also love the last line of that article: "Scream also announced a change in its policy. It’ll now start using Chainlink Oracles to get the prices in real-time instead of hardcoding them. This way, it would prevent a recurrence of this in the future."

Didn't relying on external oracles for Terra/Luna cause the same arbitrage problem when they were frozen? In other words, "we solved this problem by adopting a new problem we saw bankrupt an exchange last week."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Beartaco posted:

I can't get over the fact that they're all just apes. They could be literally anything, they could be scenic views, they could be hung dongs, they could be my little ponys, but they're all still inexplicably apes.

Well you can't use multiple slurp juices on a single scenic view, now.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

LifeSunDeath posted:

NFTs are a pretty amazing thing if you're into art history or philosophy. What is art? What is commercial art? What is valuable art? People have been trying to understand these concepts for forever, and now it's all proven: art is nothing, and anything can have tremendous artistic value if people are stupid enough to dump money into it. Even if that thing is generated by a computer based on bullshit inputs.

Except that folks like Lawrence Weiner and Sol LeWitt were disaggregating "art" from an individual physical object back in the sixties and seventies. NFTs aren't asking any new questions or advancing that conservation at all. There's nothing but the scam there.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

tango alpha delta posted:

lol, the next big thing will be storing emotions on the blockchain.

An ape yacht club for every mood! Just make sure you save up enough slurp juices for any mood swing days.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Or you could not cause massive environmental damage to try to make nonfundamental gains in a market of irrational investors trading irrational products? Just saying that's an option too.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Koopa Kid posted:

Yeah DeFi is “decentralized finance”

Seems pretty centralized if they can freeze all activity and steal from people when the market tanks, though.

Nah, decentralized means the government can't stop them, not that they can't stop you.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Lazyfire posted:

He's hosting a party on Friday my wife wants to go to and I am thinking of going just to ask if he's buying the dip.

OP you're missing an opportunity here. Bring the dip.

I'd say queso because velveeta and ro-tel is so easy, but guacamole, or spinach and artichoke, or seven layer, it's up to you.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Just saw the best-timed Coinbase ad during the, basketball: "Crypto is dead. Long live crypto."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Mozi posted:

ok folks it look bad but what we see developing now is the classic 'golden arches' pattern. if you look for similar cases in the date range from 2007-2013 between March and April over 50% of the time they end up increasing over the following week or week after. so stay calm!

It's the "golden arches" pattern because you end up working at McDonald's.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Tarquinn posted:

Ah, yes. A rainbow curve. How fitting.

Tell me crypto-geniuses; what does the other half of every loving rainbow that ever existed look like?

There's a pot of gold at the end, of course.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

You'd think all these folks would learn not to leave their money away from them...

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

WhiteHowler posted:

I must not have the galaxy-brain level of genius required to understand how this isn't the most obvious scam ever.

Because everyone who "doesn't trust the banks, man" trusts everyone else who "doesn't trust the banks, man." Why would someone on "your team" lie to you, even if that lie lets them take "all your money"?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Voyager today:

:stonk:

Clearly you have that other 650 million. Just... it's on paper, because it's gone.

It's the exact same thing as with the FDIC-insured claim Voyager used to make. It's a wholly true statement, it just rather misses the point in any operative sense.

Calculating the extent to which "true but useless statements" are any better than "outright lies" I leave as an exercise for the reader.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 11, 2022

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Voyager posted:

Yes. USD in your Voyager cash account is held at Metropolitan Commercial Bank of New York (“MCB”) and is FDIC insured. That means you are covered in the event of MCB’s failure, up to a maximum of $250,000 per Voyager customer. FDIC insurance does not protect against the failure of Voyager, but to be clear: Voyager does not hold customer cash, that cash is held at MCB.
I'm not even sure this rings true.

It's perfectly true, so long as you treat the not-a-legal-term there "customer cash" as meaning only holdings in USD at that time. Your cash held at MCB is FDIC insured for as long as it's at MCB. What they fail to say, just like they fail to say "the reason we have $630 million in claims against 3AC is because 3AC doesn't have $630 million to pay them," is that that protection lasts for fractions of a second. When Voyager is taking your cash to buy crypto, or giving you cash because you sold crypto, it has to keep that cash somewhere that's either going into or out of the crypto ecosystem, and than for that brief moment when that cash is still in Voyager's bank account at MCB after it's sent from your bank or before they send it to your bank, it's insured.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 11, 2022

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Unperson_47 posted:

You've cracked it. FUDruggers.

Man, I used to like those burgers.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

priznat posted:

Yeah but the whole idea of having a strip of 3d real estate you have to plod along to get from storefront to storefront is stupid and would just waste your time. This probably is how it will be organized though in the least imaginative way just copying malls or whatever though.

But really the location of places relative to each other is just completely silly and arbitrary in a virtual world unless they're putting dumb constraints in. People could arrange their own virtual worlds so all the places they like to go are next to each other as well.. Ugh it's just so dumb and rear end backwards.

They all read Snow Crash and forgot that it was fiction, in other words.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Paladinus posted:

Oh no, my trust in an anime girls was misplaced, all my money is Spirited Away!

Princess Ohnonocash

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ups_rail posted:

So there isnt a crypto network or chain that has a "must be a real address thing"

More that every conceivable address is an equally real address, just 99.99999999% of them nobody has ever made a key to the front door.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Ah, yes, the famous Spanish cathedral of Nuestra Señora de Todos los Dildos.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

raverrn posted:

Yeah, Bitcoin is like a credit card kinda except instead of a bank there's an "exchange".
And the exchange has no insurance so if it dies you lose all your money.
And instead of the bank and possibly the government being aware of your purchases literally anyone who cares to look is.
And the transaction fees are hundreds to thousands of percent more.
And the electricity use is tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of percent more.
And all transactions are irreversible save begging the person you sent it to to send it back.
And if you sent it to the wrong address it's just gone forever.
And even if it is sent back then you have to pay the hundred-to-thousand percent fees again.
And it's hyper vulnerable to scams.
And the value of it fluctuates on a second-to-minute basis.
And transaction can take an hour or more to finalize.

BUT it's 'crypto' so that counts for something?

Bitcoin: it's money, but worse! (tm)

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Aramis posted:

Well, to be fair on the second point, there "is" something there to prevent it in the sense that validators are incentivized to not gently caress with the system as it would dramatically devaluate their assets. After all, relying on actor rationality is a well-established way to provide stability.

It isn't, in case anyone would dare to read that as anything but sarcasm.

It would dramatically devalue someone's assets, the moment there are enough non-PoS assets on the other side of open buy orders to make a 50%+1 attack worth it.

Edit: didn't even notice the dual meaning of PoS in there, leaving it because if anything it improves the point.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 13, 2022

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Aramis posted:

The theory is that the moment someone pulls off something like this, every single Eth drops in effective value, including the staked ones. The validator has a literal vested interest in not doing it, since they need to have a lot of PoS assets in the first place to be in this position.

Eths are only worth anything as long as the system "works". A 50%+1 attack would be direct observable evidence that it doesn't.

No, I understand the theory. My point was the minute there are sufficient buy orders open offering enough non-ETH assets in exchange such that you can execute the attack, close the buy orders and walk away with enough in not-ETH and so not-yet-devalued assets, the fraction of which are gained in your attack being worth more than your loss in staked ETH the theory no longer holds.

Whether such a condition could in fact occur I have no idea.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

nachos posted:

the only thing missing is the step where you zoom in and out of the chart until the pattern matches the one you're looking for

Excuse me, you mean "proprietary opportunity window optimization analytics."

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

VitalSigns posted:

Literally every cryptodude has a spiel on how banks are bad because fractional reserve banking is a scam, then they throw their money into cryptobanks that do fractional reserve banking but ten million times riskier

Nah, it's straight up fictional reserve banking.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Sam Bankman-Fled

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

more falafel please posted:

Yeah this is just because they made a million shell/holding companies for various reasons.

Weird that they did listen to their lawyers enough to build a hundred-plus entity structure, but not to have a board meeting, not steal client funds, or shut up before going to jail.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Nov 20, 2022

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Paladinus posted:

Binance 17 and Binance 18? Why, they are my favourite Binances!

Two good vintages. Can't go wrong with either. Just make sure you open em up before the feds show up; no booze allowed in prison after all.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

this kind of community just loves to use the term "deep dive" and no, sbf had not done a "deep dive" into whether or not he'd be arrested

So you're saying he didn't do his own research?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Dial A For Awesome posted:

Turns out Coindesk is not a reliable source for analysis. I am shocked that it misled me in this way!

Also they publish the list of people that give up citizenship every year, so Coinbase could have just, y'know, checked it.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

jokes posted:

2) lawyers are stupid middlemen who don't understand that if someone just apologizes and make a stupid face they'll let you go

Checks out, very few people have a worse view of actual lawyers than law professors.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

He's *disrupting* fractions.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Mad Dragon posted:

It's not even bolted down. I bet two people wearing OFFICIAL CRYPTO ATM TECHNICIAN t-shirts can carry it away with no one batting an eye.

But all the t-shirt printers I've called ask to be paid in fiat, up front...

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Not enough tangent lines and circles man, and it's too bright to boot. C'mon, give me the good poo poo, you know I'm jonesing!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

drk posted:

lol, and heres a thread on another inflation proof flatcoin:

https://twitter.com/ShivanshuMadan/status/1515550610262663170

summary of how it works: simple, they just invest their assets at a rate of return higher than inflation!

if that sounds impossible to maintain indefinitely, dont worry, theyve got a second plan - if there is a shortfall they can just issue more equity shares governance tokens (of course, *these* tokens will always have a non-zero value even if they continuously print them)

so, its basically terra-luna, but with the added hurdle of needing to provide an inflation adjusted return to their flatcoin holders

Surprised they didn't have the balls to claim this as a feature: "and don't worry, FPIS holders are incentivised to make investments that beat inflation because otherwise their share of future profits are diluted!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Mozi posted:

"While we are not perfect, we hold ourselves to a high standard, often higher than what existing regulations require."

lol

Mods, change my name to "Load-bearing 'often'" TIA