Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
A few years back someone had posted a really good soft & chewy caramel recipe. I copied it at the time and think I lost it recently. I might have been Flash Gordon Ramsay. Does anyone happen to have that one or another good caramel recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Thank you, these are the best.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I bought a fairly cheap, small, Aroma brand rice cooker maybe a year ago and it already died. It won't turn on at all, tried a couple troubleshooting steps, nothing.

Can anyone recommend a good small one to replace? It's only going to have to maybe make 4 servings of rice at a time, usually 2. It doesn't have to do anything else, though I understand most rice cookers will also steam.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Bagheera posted:

Kid-friendly stovetop recipes.

Chicken Noodle Soup

First of all it tastes great. Second of all you can either go super easy mode and buy stock from the store or make this a multi-day, multi-lesson one two punch and teach him how to make stock himself. Per your request it offers the ability to chop various veg and can teach the difference between boiling and simmering. It's not exactly soup weather here, but it is a good project for colder months.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Kwolok posted:

Just got a charcoal grill and some lump charcoal. Grilled up a ribeye and it was great. Need suggestions for the next thing that's easy and tasty

Burgers. Juicy Lucy if you want to go a little silly with it.

Just about any chicken is good, but there's something about barbecue chicken that is very charcoal specific. The smoke, and the char of the sugary sauce - there's nothing else quite like it.

If you want to go up one difficulty level, pizza is good. You can get away with a store bought dough, but I think grill specific dough is built a little different.

If I'm doing it I roll out my dough to roughly the size I want my end product to be. Thinner crust is your friend, you're not going to get a pillowy focaccia style crust before things burn.

Have all your toppings ready to go ahead of time and in prep bowls. If you have a peel, great, but a pair of large metal spatulas will probably be more useful.

Clean the grates and set over hot, even fire (coals spread evenly across the bottom). Let that heat for about 5 minutes, covered. Oil the grill lightly, but thoroughly. Toss on the dough and let it cook for a few minutes, lid on. Lift dough, rotate 90 degrees and cook 1-2 more minutes. Flip. As soon as it is flipped, put on the sauce and the rest of your toppings. Try not to weigh it down with too much. Top with the lid and let it go until the cheese is melted and everything is done to your liking 3-5 minutes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Is there a way to figure out whether a pot if oven safe?

Not sure what it's made of, exactly. Nothing feels plastic-y, but I'm not sure about the coating.

Is there a brand stamped on it anywhere? Usually the bottom, but sometimes under either side handle or the handle of the lid. It should be possible to look up the make an model and see if there are any specs for it.

It looks like a plastic coating, but I've seen metal and stone cookware that has a pattern like that. Is it heavy? Is it magnetic? Neither of those alone would say if it's oven safe, but it might help point in the right direction.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Xander77 posted:

It just says "Soltam", with no further info about the model. Other items with the same black and white splotchy pattern are non-stick, so that's not oven safe, if I understand correctly?

Some non-stick treatments are oven safe. The Ninja Foodie Neverstick is good to 500 for example.

In your case, for Soltam, I did a quick look and all the pots and pans I could find indicated that they were made from aluminum, and while rated for any kind of stove, none of them mentioned being oven safe at all. All the handles appeared to be some kind of plastic. I wouldn't risk it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I made a batch of brandy old fashioned balls in a variation on a rum ball recipe. The flavor turned out really good, but these are really strong, even with smaller balls that normal. I know what I'll do for the next batch, but is there any way to weaken the already mixed dough?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

post ur recipe

This is going to be my revised recipe

3 cups crushed Nilla Wafers (1 box)
3/4 cup powdered sugar (plus extra for rolling)
3 Tablespoons light corn syrup
12 maraschino cherries, chopped
Zest of one large orange (tried candied peel in original recipe, too gummy in final product)
1/4 cup brandy (Korbel makes it Wiscon-thentic) (was 1/2 cup in orignal)
Crystalized Lemon and Lime powders (True Lemon/Lime) for rolling

Combine first 6 ingredients into roughly cookie dough consistency.

Combine 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon each lemon/lime powders and spread in shallow dish

Pinch off small portions of dough and roll into balls, then roll in powdered sugar mix. Store in air tight container in fridge, with layers of wax paper in between.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Duckbill posted:

I had to look that one up.

The cherry pits infuse the ice-cream with that wonderful almond flavour found in all stone-fruit pits.

Isn't that flavour cyanide?

A quick google indicates that cooking will neutralize the toxins in cyanide, but yes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Torquemada posted:

I make coffee for a living, and one of my baristas made espresso tonic for me the other day, eh.

I'm sorry, are you saying that your reaction was just "meh" or are you posting in Canadian?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Jiro posted:

Afternoon goons,

I rarely ever come into this sub forum even though I cook a shitload! Fidello, flour tortillas from scratch, roasted chickens, homemade Alfredo that whose recipe I took from a goon way back in 2004-2005 in GBS, ANYWAY I've been going into YouTube holes of cooking to expand skills and techniques but mainly watching "You Suck at Cooking" with the fiancee and laughing my rear end off.

Any good recs on channels? Really not restricting myself to one ethnic genre as I've self taught myself on how to cook things for myself and friends over the years. I have seen some Cooking with Babbish from time to time and some other videos a guy named Alvin did in his home kitchen that were just done to some chill music. Apologies if this is too general but feedback is appreciated, take it easy!

As stated Adam Ragusea is good, very much in the vein of Alton Brown/Good Eats in the "Here's science to explain why". Tends to have a very positive it doesn't have to be perfect to be tasty POV.

Brian Lagerstrom is also good. I think he was/is a professional baker, but does other food stuff.

Food Wishes covers a wide selection of dishes, most of it pretty simple technique wise, but Chef John has given me some of my favorite dishes.

Ethan Chlebowski is someone else I found recently, and I like his approach.

I like Joshua Weissman, for his copy cat recipes, but I also find his baby talk grating. His fans apparently eat it up, and he's very successful, so I can't fault that.

Binging with Babish is entertaining, though I've found his actual recipes pretty hit and miss. Like the amounts differ between what his video states and what the written recipe says.

B. Dylan Hollis has almost exclusively his Tik-tok shorts on youtube. He's very flamboyant and I've never used the term "extra" to describe a human before, but drat if that ain't the perfect word. His shtick can get old very quick, so probably best in small doses. His thing is going through old cookbooks and typically pulling out the weirdest thing he can find.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Does anyone have a good chocolate pie recipe? I have the crust already (leftover from a different pie) so I just need the filling.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Is there a good, sticky cling wrap anymore? I know that when I was a kid (80s), cling wrap used to stick to anything, especially itself. That was part of the appeal. Then they changed the chemicals because the old stuff was full of CFCs or BPAs or something else that was dangerous. Now the cling wrap feels thicker and less sticky, so if I'm covering a bowl (which I do almost every day now), I have to pull it taut over the bowl, and tuck it under to get it to cling. I think the press and seal stuff used to be good, but I don't know the last time I saw that anywhere. I have used the OG Saran Wrap (red box), Glad (yellow box) and am in the middle of Reynolds with the slide cutter (blue box). They all seem about the same IME.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

One trick I've found with plastic wrap is to unroll it while it's attached to the target bowl/plate/whatever. Clings way better, I would presume due to transferring electrical charge. So pull a bit out, hold it on one side of the bowl, and pull it as far as you need and cut it off. idk if this is like cling wrap 101, but until I figured out this maneuver I could never get it to stick to anything but itself. If you just unroll a length, cut it, and THEN try to attach it to something, it doesn't work nearly as well.

Doesn't work for all bowls, though. Works great on our glass (?) Anchor prep bowls, not so much on our Noritake color wave bowls that I occasionally use for prep. So again, leads me to believe there's some electron transfer going on somewhere during the unrolling process.

That is the go to method for most plastic wrap for me, but with this built in slide cutter that doesn't work because that causes the box end to bunch and crinkle, and that makes the cutter get snagged. No bueno.

Part of what triggered this is I changed my dog's food routine, and had to buy a new bowl for him, but his original is ceramic, and the new one is melamine or something similar and the wrap just doesn't even acknowledge it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Tendales posted:

A real goon would just double down on rating poison.

I believe this is a typo, but I also believe that goons would argue back and forth about the taste and efficacy of strychnine, arsenic and cyanide.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

Looking for recommendations for something foolproof and semi-easy to bring to a Thanksgiving potluck. Side/dessert/main are all unclaimed, so it's wide open.

Ruth's Chris' Steakhouse Sweet Potato Casserole - It's a desert. Don't believe the lies of it being a side dish.
https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/sweet-potatoes-ruths-chris-style/

It's not covered with a layer of mini marshmallows, but does have a lot of butter and sugar both in the potatoes and the topping. I usually use ground pecans instead of chopped, but it's good either way.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

guppy posted:

What is a reputable place to buy cocoa powder and what should I buy? The last few times I've bought it, I've bought Rodelle or Cacao Barry, but I bought them from Amazon and these days I try to avoid buying foodstuffs from Amazon because I don't trust them. I would like to buy a reasonably large quantity -- the last time I bought it was a 2.2 pound bag of Cacao Barry -- and I would like to be good quality. I just made brownies and didn't realize until it was cocoa time that all I had in the house was Hershey's; it worked, but even in the package it looks just a little bit sad. My local groceries also carry Ghirardelli but I think I can probably do better?

FWIW, I like the Hershey's Dark/Dutch process for about everything cocoa powder related. Regular Hershey's powder is garbo. I think Ghiradelli is a little overpriced, but still good.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Nth-ing a candy thread

My wife has requested Cornish game hens for X-mas dinner. Does anyone have an interesting recipe or prep style? Preferably no mushrooms, but about anything else will be good. Planning on a sweet potato mash and spinach salad for sides.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Verviticus posted:

can xanthan gum be mixed in with a fork easily enough or does it need more than that to mix properly

I've only ever seen it used with a blender

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Sirotan posted:

I just remodeled my kitchen and put away all my baking supplies in a cabinet that is now sitting directly over a HVAC vent. The bottom shelf is all different containers of flour, corn meal, bread crumbs, etc. It's winter, the heat is on. I pulled some flour out to make pie crust and it felt a little warm. Stuck my thermometer into the middle and it's 78F.

How concerned should I be about this? Not at all? Just try and use up all the flour within X weeks/months? Find a better place to store perishables?

Just to be clear, it's 78F in your cabinet? It's not that warm anywhere in my house, with the heat on. I'd say it's a little concerning.

The basic fix might be to have a secondary little shelf just as a buffer between the bottom of the cabinet and the baking supplies. A spare cooling rack might be enough. If possible maybe store cookware/bake ware on the bottom shelf instead.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Looking to get a gift for a friend for Christmas, specifically snacks. Usually I'd get a nice box of chocolate, but this person doesn't particularly like sweet snacks, and prefers savory. Does anyone have suggestions for a savory snack package they recommend, preferably in one big bundle, that won't require any assembly on my part? Basically a "box of chocolates" equivalent of salty/savory foods is what I'm looking for. Something high quality, looking to spend around $50-$100. They are lactose intolerant, so no cheeses unfortunately.

Do they like nuts? Maybe a custom nut assortment like this?
https://nuts.com/custom/trays/?code=16q17816i176177

You can pick out a bunch of nuts/snacks in the large option for about $100. Click on Nuts or Snacks on the left to see (mostly) non-sweet options.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

obi_ant posted:

What’s a good bread that’s readily available at a super market now? I usually get Dave’s and Ezekiel.

If you are looking for decent general sandwich bread I'll sometimes go for Pepperidge Farm or Brownberry depending on what strikes my fancy. But my everyday, kid friendly, basic PB&J bread is the Sara Lee whole grain. It's not the pillow soft, sugary, tastes like nothing Wonderbread/Butternut/Generic Store brand, but is still on the soft side, and has something approaching flavor. All I believe are available nationally.

It sounds like you are more into multi-grain and less processed breads, which is great, but unfortunately I'm not super well versed in those.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I was gifted a container of Gochujang for x-mas, but I have no idea what to use it with. I also got Japanese BBQ sauce and some really good chili crisp, but those I understand.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

Re: butter chat:

What butter do y'all buy?

Is it worth keeping "premium" butter around for anything but special occasions? Like if I make Alfredo sauce Hazan says to use choicest quality butter. Is grocery store unsalted kerrygold good enough?

I mean it's been good enough, or maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. But I'm really just wondering a) what choicest quality butter is, b) if it's easy to find and c) worth the cost (edit: or maybe better put: when is it worth the cost).

Also I always freeze it immediately after buying (unless I'm out and need a stick right away).

I generally buy the generic store brand (though I admit I can taste the difference) and I buy both salted and unsalted. But I also do a fair amount of baking, where unsalted is the standard. If I want a decent, everyday, bread butter, I'll spend the extra buck or two and buy Land O Lakes.

I'd probably pick up Kerrygold or some other upscale brand for special occasions, but haven't felt the need just yet.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Accipiter posted:

Also thank you for this tip. I ordered my wheel over the weekend.

I'm going to have to find all kinds of things to do with cheese (already plan on cold-smoking) and I'm gonna be backed up for a few weeks, but this is the way whey

I'll see myself out.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

That Works posted:

Ive got some beef short ribs coming out of a long sousvide tonight and was going to use them along with a red wine pan sauce.

Ive got lots of gold potatoes for the starch but other than just mashing them does anyone else have some fun way to prep them that’s not super time intensive?

Smash them. It does recommend an overnight chill, but it's not labor intensive at any point.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/277312/roasted-smashed-potatoes/

In short, boil them until just tender, chill them, then smash and roast them. Top with garlic herb butter. This recipe makes 16 servings, but you can probably do a smaller portion.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

alnilam posted:

What's the best kind of pan to do scrambled eggs in other than non-stick? I had to get rid of my non-stick pans when I got an induction stove, and I've been pretty satisfied with using all cast iron and stainless steel (since I already had them). Except for this one thing.

My cast irons are well seasoned enough that I can fry an egg on them no problem, but when I tried scrambled this morning it was a disaster. Should I use stainless steel? Or is there a trick to doing it on cast iron? (I used plenty of oil and waited til the pan was nice and hot)

Or maybe my cast iron pans seasoning, while pretty good, just failed the ultimate test?

Just for clarity sake, when you say nice and hot, do you have the heat set to high, or it's set to medium/med-low and you are waiting until the pan has been sitting there for a while and has come up to full temp? High heat is probably going to cause problems for sticking eggs.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Along those lines then, I'm not a huge fish guy. I eat cod regularly, used to do tilapia on the regular when it was cheaper, and really liked halibut as a kid. I like tuna, but almost exclusively in tuna salad or sushi. I've not had any good cooked tuna dishes. (Yes, I know canned tuna is not raw). I hate salmon in almost any form, but enjoy it smoked every now and again.

So, I'm taking a trip to Florida and the gulf coast in a few weeks, and I'm going to be eating at restaurants for the whole week. What are some good different fish to try? I'm willing to try whatever (no shellfish though, allergic).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Buy the chicken now, if it's frozen, keep it frozen; if not, separate and maybe wrap each portion in plastic, then pop it in the freezer
Take out of the freezer Tuesday before
It should be thawed by Wed night, maybe Thursday morning
Portion, drain, and then toss in marinade until Friday

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Scoss posted:

Baking steel on the bottom rack instead of the second highest rack (I figure the gas burner is below the floor of the oven so it's hotter down there). Same 550 temp as before.

I seem to recall that there was some debate over where to put a pizza stone or steel. Some people (including me) say put it low, so that it is closer to the heat source. Others think that putting it high is best, because the stone is still going to be super hot after spending an hour at 500, so by putting it near the ceiling, you also get heat reflecting off there to brown the top. The second method (in theory) is closer to a traditional, shallow, pizza oven.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

tuyop posted:

With AI absolutely destroying recipe websites, I no longer know who to trust so I've been trying to collect reference books about everything. Can anyone recommend a recipe book that has just a good selection of modern western staples?

The case in point, I have a vegan waffle recipe from before AI, but I'm kind of tired of it and wouldn't mind trying a non-vegan waffle recipe. What kind of a cookbook has waffles in it but isn't like, "750 waffle recipes for a happy Belgian hubby"?

If you want to cast a wide net, the America's Test Kitchen cookbooks are good, and you can usually find them in a used book store for a reasonable price.

Joy of Cooking was a classic when I was growing up, and they do keep updating it, so it's probably still pretty solid.

I personally have How to Cook Everything, which I'm pretty happy with, at least in terms of basics. It doesn't make the best version of anything, but it will tell you how to make a serviceable version.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

as someone whose only ER visit of their lives involved a mandolin, i say "live a little"

Counterpoint, as someone who sliced part of the tip of his finger off with a mandolin (No ER visit) and sliced the hell out of another finger with a vegetable peeler (ER Visit), use the correct gear. Hand guard for sure on a mandolin, and maybe a glove for any super sharp stuff. I'll use a mandolin whenever, but I'm still wary of using a peeler and holding the stuff in my hand at the same time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

FaradayCage posted:

Is there a thread comparing different sellers of the same spice?

I have a lot of spice questions. I have a large collection of spices, most of them whole. Most of the time when I google I hear that whole spices should be discarded after two years. That seems way too frequent. And for something like cloves or star anise I never notice any change in them over that time period.

I would like to discuss with experts:

- What spices are worth paying a premium for? For what kind of dishes?

- What spices are worth keeping very fresh? For what kind of dishes?

I don't believe that we have a current thread discussing different brands of spices specifically. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules, but there are some guidelines I tend to follow.

If you are not using certain spices everyday, it's OK to go with a small jar of a cheaper brand. If I need to pick up a spice because I'm trying a new recipe, I will generally go with a small cheap/store brand. I'd also say that if the spice is not the focus of the dish, it's also ok to go with the cheaper option. If I'm adding a bit of cinnamon to something like egg nog, French toast, hot chocolate, etc., cheap is ok.

If on the other hand, we're talking something like a spice cake or snickerdoodles, or something else where that's the main flavor, I'll spend the money and get the good stuff.

I would also say that if you have some spices that you use regularly and replace frequently, get the better quality and larger jars if you can manage.

In general, as I said, I'm OK with the store brand for most spices. I think in general Spice Islands tends to get better ratings and are available in most stores. I think McCormick tends to be over priced and IME tends to taste a bit duller.

Personally, If I want better spices, I go with Penzys. They have been good quality, good selection, and if you sign up for their emails you can get good deals a few times per week. Just note, the Penzy's people are very liberal and are not shy about sharing their opinion in their frequent emails, so if that is a turn off, just ignore reading the contents and skip down to the coupons/offers.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I was given a sous vide machine to try out by a work friend, but I'm kind of at a loss for what to try. Steak is kind of the go-to, but my wife doesn't eat steak. I'm OK with making steak for myself, and so's my wife, but I'd like to get her input as well. It kind of feels like a waste to use with hamburgers. I've heard that it gets pretty good results with chicken. FWIW, I don't like soft boiled eggs, which I've herd this can be good for. Any other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Pickle hard boiled eggs. If you want to go a little extra, take a toothpick and poke some holes through the egg to get better saturation.