Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Wait, doesn't pentagram destroy exp crystals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

So... is there a more up to date guide on how to kill Death, or am I just doing something wrong? The past few times I've tried, I've been unable to kill him before more start spawning in, which is fine until they start pushing each other through the bookcases...

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Snackmar posted:

Are you definitely staying at level 2? I had a couple of attempts ruined by some stray gems that took me to level 3

Definitely, I even took off all my growth and magnet upgrades just to make sure I didn't accidentally level up again. I guess I'll just have to keep plinking away at it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I just remember a question I've been meaning to ask.

I know the white damage numbers are the default, and yellow numbers mean a critical hit, but what do the red damage numbers mean?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Well I think I just got a new main. The guns are crazy, and the fact the new character starts with both of them is such a godsend.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Attractorb almost feels necessary with the guns. Even unevolved, they absolutely carve through mobs, and the orb really helps in grabbing all that exp.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Avalerion posted:

What triggers unlocking the coffin in the new stage? I found it, walked into it and... nothing.

You have to kill all the enemies guarding it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

C-Euro posted:

Feels like I should be saving up for the static Duplicator bonus, but I'm at 3500/8000 Gold for it :negative:

Don't forget you can reset your powerups at any point and get the full cost of each of them back. It's not a bad idea to just buy whatever you can until you've completed a run or two, then reset to buy stuff that's actually good, like Amount and Greed.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Someone on Reddit made a handy dandy evolution chart. If it isn't on here, it doesn't evolve.

Hopefully the plan is for EVERY weapon to evolve. That seems like it would be chaotic and fun.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

New weapon feels a little disappointing, imo. It hits hard, sure, but the fact it's limited to a horizontal line wherever you were standing when it fired really limits how useful it can be.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Tortolia posted:

Does that much armor actually mean you could shrug off Death or is it still going to kill you?

Death deals 65,535 damage, so even with a maxed out Armor item and a maxed armor powerup, it's still dealing damage to you, just isn't a 1-hit KO.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Mazerunner posted:

Or just forgetting about it.

This is my plan. Nothing about Toastie seems like they would be fun for me to play, so I'm not gonna bother with it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I've bought all the powerups and unlocked all the achievements, I don't NEED to do more runs... But I still absolutely want to. In particular, I've had the idea of some sort of 'melee' build kicking around in my head for a while now, and I think the healing Arcana is just the thing to make it work.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

John Murdoch posted:

And as a weapon they seem to be weighted to appear much more frequently like a regular weapon compared to Bone, Bombs, or Cart.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that too. I think it's because the cats are actually locked behind an achievement- presumably, if you don't have the achievement, they won't appear at all, versus bone etc. which get added to the pool either when you unlock Mortaccio and co. or just when you play a run with them.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Jack B Nimble posted:

So I just encountered a Green Reaper and I'm really not sure what the deal with this guy is.

He doesn't seem to take damage, doesn't go away, and killed me almost the second I said "maybe let him touch me and see what happens".

That's a special event for the Dairy Plant called the Stalker. He has a chance of spawning at the start of a run, at the 8 minute mark, and the 12 minute mark. You CAN run away from it and it'll go away after a few minutes, but like others said, you can use instant kill effects like the carts, rosaries, or the pentagram/Gorgeous Moon on him as well.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

New map definitely earns the right to be called a challenge, that's the first time I've really struggled in a run in a long time.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Third World Reagan posted:

Also the soul eater apparently gets extra damage, not base, based on how much it heals, but it isn't a lot.

The extra damage comes from any healing you receive, not just the healing from the Soul Eater.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

FrickenMoron posted:

I've just done 10+ attempts to try and unlock Toastie on Dairy plant and can't get any green reapers to spawn there anymore. Whats the method to unlock it via savegame editing?

Follow the steps on the wiki for unlocking MissingNo: https://vampire-survivors.fandom.com/wiki/MissingN%E2%96%AF

But instead of "FINO", type "PANINI".

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Steelion posted:

Yeah the XP loss and low damage means I'll probably never upgrade the cats again, money hasn't been an issue for several patches.

Which, itself, is kind of an issue. I really hope a new gold sink is added soon.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

goferchan posted:

Is Lancet the trick for 31 minutes? I had it on a run this morning and made it to 30:21 in Hurry Hyper mode, makes sense you can just get lucky and freeze the ghost a few more times. I guess you would want to avoid Hyper mode and curses so it doesn't get the move speed boost too?

I used Lancet and Laurel both, on top of the character that gains +1% duration every level. Ended lasting almost an extra 10 minutes.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

GigaPeon posted:

The new guy plus the arcana that constantly shifts area size is pretty hilarious.

Yeah, I didn't think I could find a character I liked more than Pugnala, but having a Soul Eater that covers almost the entire screen is just magical.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Scruffpuff posted:

I've found there are no true trash tier weapons because as you go through the game and buy the power-ups it actually becomes nearly impossible to die. I tried to kill myself last night by making what I figured would be the worst possible build - I went with boomerang, whip, fire wand, cats, runetracer, and the bird. Seemed to me that particular grouping of weapons left lots of weaknesses with no truly good synergies. (Some might say "but cats are good" but once you evolve them into those eyeballs they're not nearly as strong.) I did commit to evolving all 6 because the game seems balanced around the assumption you'll evolve at least a few, and I will say it was the toughest the game had been in a while. But in the end, once they were all evolved, I was literally running into large groups of mobs and somehow taking no damage.

So now my new challenge is figuring out which 6 evolved weapons are least likely to result in a win.

See, your problem was picking Runetracer. Runetracer is probably one of the best weapons in the game, and its evolution even moreso.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

sauer kraut posted:

Is this secret Leda character supposed to be permanent like the others?
I can pick him fine as long as it's in the same session as obtaining him, but after a restart he is no longer in the character list.
Exdash and Red Death are working fine.

Yes he is. I, myself, haven't had any issues since unlocking him, so not sure what could be causing it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

DrunkPanda posted:

ok, so is it a good strategy to upgrade luck as much as possible? or is that dumb. I just want better chests :ohdear:

Just from my experiences, I'd say it's not worth it. I have the Luck powerup maxed out, play on Hyper mode, and regularly take the clover, and even with all that I barely get any 3 chests, and sometimes don't get any 5 chests at all.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

There's also one new arcana in the recent update that requires surviving 31 minutes in the library.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

RBA Starblade posted:

So why is it a dairy plant anyway

How else are the vampires gonna get their milk?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Cowman posted:

What's the best way to farm a bunch of gold? I'm thinking of either farming or editing my save. I've already got all the unlocks and just need to unlock a few characters so this would be for golden egg buying.

Don't farm and definitely don't save edit just to buy golden eggs. The dev has explicitly stated they're just a small extra thing for people who want to keep playing even after exhausting the new content, they will NOT be necessary for future stuff. If you check the subreddit (admittedly a terrible idea even on the best of days) you can see a bunch of posts of people who grinded or save edited a ton of eggs and now their favorite characters are ruined because there's no way to take that back.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Jedit posted:

... there is no such item in my game.

If you have access to Moongolow, you need to do a run using a non-secret character (no Red Death, no Leda, etc.). At around 14 minutes, a special angel-looking boss will appear, and killing this boss will take you to Holy Forbidden. If you die in Holy Forbidden, you do not need to do Moongolow again, just pick a non-secret character and it'll show up in stage select.

Upon completing Holy Forbidden, you'll get the Yellow Sign. Now, on every stage you'll be able to find the Metaglio pieces and the gold and silver rings. The Metaglios are needed to evolve the laurel, and the rings are needed to evolve the clock lancet. Unlike other evolutions, you need to fully level the weapon AND their respective passives (both of them) to evolve laurel and lancet, so keep that in mind.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

It should be, I got the Steam achievements for everything- beta server doesn't have the Steam version of the achievements, just the in-game versions.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

TehWhale posted:

What's everyone's favorite build for Concetta or Pugnala? These two seem like the most fun with their might/aoe scaling except Red Death (cause that speed and HP mmm). I basically want to print gold in the bone zone. What's the best way to go about that? I've spent the past couple days grinding and unlocking every achievement and character. I have about ~200k gold saved up and only have a handful of eggs per character. Like I think maybe 5-10 on like 4 characters. I have full power ups too.

For Concetta, I usually rock Pinion/Axe/Garlic/Santa Water, and then the last two slots vary between Whip, Lightning Ring, and Fire Wand. I also take the arcana that makes your area fluctuate from -25% to +50%. It might not be the 'best' build but seeing a Soul Eater cover literally the entire screen makes me very happy.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Mierenneuker posted:

I'm glad this game inspired by Castlevania is finally adding the Vento Benedetto.

Crissaegrim

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of that.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

EclecticTastes posted:

The cookies seem to require you to have both hearts and the skull, and possibly other items.

Not both hearts. I got it with just Pummarola and Skull. Also they're pies.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Mandoric posted:

Speaking of which, how does Omni level cap work? I was locked to 1 level at first even with empty checkboxes waiting there, but could go back at the end.

I think it's just bugged, I was able to max it out right after unlocking it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

CzarChasm posted:

The last few times I've got to red death I reach a stalemate (by freezing him and running away?) and then white death just came for me. What triggers that, because it sounds like some people don't get to white death and get stuck in a loop with red death?

If White Death is showing up, that means you successfully killed Red Death with the Infinite Corridor. Not picking up the Infinite Corridor prevents White Death from spawning even if you manage to kill Red Death, which is how people get stuck in 'infinite' runs.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Vizuyos posted:

If you evolved the Lancet to Infinite Corridor, then it cuts enemies' HP in half every time it does a full loop around, which will reduce Death's max HP to almost nothing in just a couple of minutes regardless of how high his HP started out.

If you have the Shroud and a bit of regen, then even a few Deaths won't be able to inflict enough damage to kill you. But if you failed to evolve the Lancet, then you won't be able to chew through Death's tens of millions of HP in any reasonable timeframe; regular weapons just don't do anywhere near enough damage. So you end up stuck in a stalemate, where you don't have the one tool that can reduce Death's HP to a manageable amount, but Death can't hit you fast enough to kill you (not even if you just stand there doing nothing). It's an inescapable situation where you're just waiting for enough Deaths to pile up that they can work their way through their defenses.

Last time I got the Shroud but failed to evolve the Lancet, I gave up on hoping to kill Death and walked away from the keyboard at the 38 minute mark. When I came back, I'd finally died at a bit past 45 minutes.

What's especially fun is getting Armor in the same run as Shroud. Shroud caps your incoming damage at 10, which applies before Armor's damage reduction. High enough armor can make the end-of-run Deaths literally do 0 damage.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Begemot posted:

Y'know, I could've sworn there was some game that used this, ages ago, but I can't remember what it was now. Maybe Bit.Trip FATE? But that doesn't have it anywhere I can see.

There was an old flash game called Bullet Heaven, it was a spinoff of the Epic Battle Fantasy series.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

bbcisdabomb posted:

Are you using Hyper Mode? All it does is make you move faster, and I can imagine that actually moving far enough to get all the items would be difficult without the Hyper speed.

Well, no, Hyper Mode doesn't just make you move faster. It also makes enemies move faster, as well as increasing the number of enemies and slightly increasing their health. In short there's basically no reason not to be running Hyper Mode all the time.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah, hyper is always on. As is hurry, which I assumed was just 2x game speed but maybe it's the reason all these runs were so much work for me?

Hurry is actually a detriment. Each wave only lasts for 30 real-life seconds, which means overall you're killing about half as many enemies in hurry mode. For comparison, I can comfortably finish my builds by minute 15 when not playing hurry mode, but in hurry mode I might still be trying to get pieces even by minute 20.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Captain Foo posted:

NO FUTURE is so good that it outweighs the non-offensive behavior of armor every time, though.

The dev also changed it so that each point of armor you have increases retaliation damage (so No Future, the Heart of Fire arcana, and I'm pretty sure Crimson Shroud as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Become Power, folks:

https://kay-yu.itch.io/holocure

This niche is unbeatable when it comes to speed and range of evolutionary engagements and how~

Been playing this, and it's actually really cool even divorced from the Hololive stuff. Each character has their own unique starting weapon, and has their own 'skills' you can pick up, in addition to the general pool of weapons and items available to everyone. Would definitely recommend checking it out, even if you're not much of a V-tuber fan.