Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Yeah, I found that hard to believe, even at the time.

I mean, he picked up the phone at 5AM and listened for a solid 90+ seconds while I spitballed manic, drunken praise for Dilbro's hot-take blog.

I know he wasn't fully awake, but he didn't hang up. That says to me, "I seriously consider pretty much any opportunity presented to me"

[E D B A L L S]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

was this the president for one day guy

we had like a dozen presidents under the articles of confederation who had no power to do anything except send bitchy letters to each of the states begging for cash

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Apraxin posted:

for all that's poo poo about coolidge, i still have a soft spot for a guy who drank Moxie to commemorate becoming president and whose idea of a good joke was to set off the WH alarms and hide behind the curtains while the secret service frantically searched for him

also we're like not even a century out from a time when the president of the USA's son could get a blister on his toe playing tennis and then die agonizingly from it with medical science helpless to save him or relieve his suffering, and if antibiotics continue to lose their effectiveness we may be on the brink of going back to that exciting time!

Since Coolidge has come up, I'm probably required by law to mention the other President who's from Vermont:* Chester A. Arthur, who was such a dandy that he owned over 500 pairs of pants.

*Qualified here because persistent rumors since his own time is that he was actually born in Canada.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

A Russian Pop Star takes down the president, Donald Trump is a pretty weird mad lib and I can only assume someone has a death note style mad libs book they're conjuring this with

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

I found old timey Garrison.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Rocks posted:

* Mike Pence runs around corner, panting heavily* "awww dammit Jared you told me they were horse statues"

*unzips* "Oh well the things I do for my country."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EMIN, I'M FIRED

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Montasque posted:

i think that badass mahfuckin dragon going to win

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Apraxin posted:

for all that's poo poo about coolidge, i still have a soft spot for a guy who drank Moxie to commemorate becoming president and whose idea of a good joke was to set off the WH alarms and hide behind the curtains while the secret service frantically searched for him

also we're like not even a century out from a time when the president of the USA's son could get a blister on his toe playing tennis and then die agonizingly from it with medical science helpless to save him or relieve his suffering, and if antibiotics continue to lose their effectiveness we may be on the brink of going back to that exciting time!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Montasque posted:

Nah, the one we're supposed to think is bad actually looks formidable and a genuine threat. If Garrison did it, the Chinese image would be sinister yet effeminate and weak, and Uncle Sam would be at least twice as large and ripped as gently caress.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Montasque posted:

:perfect:

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Someone post the watch your back bitch email

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Nah, the one we're supposed to think is bad actually looks formidable and a genuine threat. If Garrison did it, the Chinese image would be sinister yet effeminate and weak, and Uncle Sam would be at least twice as large and ripped as gently caress.

true but the LABELS man, the LABELS

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Montasque posted:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

lol

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

TORMP

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

Congress owns.

rando: "i officially score this bill as totally good and cool"

congress: "works for us"

the devil went down to benghazi

next season of stranger things lookin good

Joementum posted:

SKULLCEL!!! Jesus loving Christ ahahahahahhahaa

https://twitter.com/BUSSCRO/status/885651702866726913

im a dickcel

(its an innie)

Agrajag posted:

what you mean that lawyer making the rounds on all the morning talk shows has been lying out of his eyes? and i suppose other places.

watch ur back , bitch

SKULL.GIF posted:

okay yeah I give up Joementum

Abramson has been hyperactive the past week and I can't take it anymore since literally the only thing he does is retweet news while adding his (irrelevant) take on them

Unfollowed

he retweets himself so much and posts multiple tweetstorms per day feckin amateur

he's like trump where the important stuff is retweeted enough that u don't have to follow them

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

And here big fat, smokin' Sam with an armored cruiser under his arm is intended to be a positive image we're supposed to like and admire.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

And here big fat, smokin' Sam with an armored cruiser under his arm is intended to be a positive image we're supposed to like and admire.

this is what peak performance looks like

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Captain_Maclaine posted:

gently caress yeah

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
make america great again

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Captain_Maclaine posted:

the last two sams are 1898 and 1899

the year 1898 must have involved a lot of ranch

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Weird to think that anti-imperialists and isolationists used to be a lot of the country that had significant sway

Then Teddy cucked em

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Baloogan posted:

make america great again

it was never great

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Weird to think that anti-imperialists and isolationists used to be a lot of the country that had significant sway

Then Teddy cucked em

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

ScrubLeague posted:

it was never great

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm the gloved German hand

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

ScrubLeague posted:

it was never great

uhm my abuela hillary told me it was already great

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

I buy this poo poo just to trick my friends into drinking it.

I mean, it's not that Turkey Gravy Jones Soda level bad, but it's pretty fuckin foul.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Spoeank posted:

uhm my abuela hillary told me it was already great

who

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

america is already fat

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Oiled and Ready posted:

I took a look at Endo Pharmaceuticals, the company that makes Opana.

They have a storied history of losing absurd amounts of profit in lawsuits because of the abuse of their pain products. In 2011, the FDA approved a crush-resistant pill so that people would stop snorting Opana. The thinking* was that at least the addicts would have to eat them, which is less likely to result in overdose. Instead, addicts simply began mainlining the pills instead, which is considerably more deadly than snorting them.

This snort-proof reformulation also led to the largest HIV outbreak in Indiana history - an event the Vice President Mike Pence won't soon forget. If you need a refresher, here's the big pieces from a timeline I cribbed out of the Courier-Journal:

Pence was blamed twofold - once for dragging his feet on the needle exchange programs, and again for not having better prevention policies in the first place. I assume he blames Endo, and I think they may have made the same assumption. On December 8th, one month after Mike Pence began leading the presidential transition team, Endo Pharmaceuticals made a surprise announcement: they were giving up their exclusive licensing rights for Belbuca, which is "the first and only buprenorphine developed with a dissolving film that is absorbed through the inner lining of the cheek".

It's 12-hour Grizzly Opium, essentially. I can't imagine how that kind of thing could be prone to abuse!

------------------

*Plenty of evidence suggests that Endo only really made the pills crush-resistant in order to extend their exclusive rights anyway. If my posts make your head hurt, you can read this great piece from NPR (or reach into the cupboard for a painkiller!):

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/04/01/472538272/how-a-painkiller-designed-to-deter-abuse-helped-spark-an-hiv-outbreak

sounds a lot like purdue and oxy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Captain_Maclaine posted:

fat was considered awesome back when it was really extremely difficult to get fat unless you were hyper loving rich or old and indolent or both

of course nowadays we're awash in endless doritos and it's correctly viewed as disgusting and gluttonous

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

miss me yet?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

O W N T

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Apraxin posted:

i love that that keeps coming up in collections of 'witty and amusing presidential statements', like the guy who'd personally witnessed his only child's violent death and wife's mental disintegration and whose whole presidency was him flailing impotently while the country fell apart was making a humorous and light-hearted joke, rather than reflecting honestly on the crushing misery of existence

MAGA!!

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Big McHuge posted:

I buy this poo poo just to trick my friends into drinking it.

I mean, it's not that Turkey Gravy Jones Soda level bad, but it's pretty fuckin foul.

It was the cola of choice once upon a time

How, I'll never know

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Rocks posted:

miss me yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42D_LJB30eY

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
https://twitter.com/ProPublica/status/885602819495124994

have u or any of ur loved ones been "owned" by trump's lawyer? u could be eligible for a large settlement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oiled and Ready posted:

I took a look at Endo Pharmaceuticals, the company that makes Opana.

They have a storied history of losing absurd amounts of profit in lawsuits because of the abuse of their pain products. In 2011, the FDA approved a crush-resistant pill so that people would stop snorting Opana. The thinking* was that at least the addicts would have to eat them, which is less likely to result in overdose. Instead, addicts simply began mainlining the pills instead, which is considerably more deadly than snorting them.

This snort-proof reformulation also led to the largest HIV outbreak in Indiana history - an event the Vice President Mike Pence won't soon forget. If you need a refresher, here's the big pieces from a timeline I cribbed out of the Courier-Journal:

Pence was blamed twofold - once for dragging his feet on the needle exchange programs, and again for not having better prevention policies in the first place. I assume he blames Endo, and I think they may have made the same assumption. On December 8th, one month after Mike Pence began leading the presidential transition team, Endo Pharmaceuticals made a surprise announcement: they were giving up their exclusive licensing rights for Belbuca, which is "the first and only buprenorphine developed with a dissolving film that is absorbed through the inner lining of the cheek".

It's 12-hour Grizzly Opium, essentially. I can't imagine how that kind of thing could be prone to abuse!

------------------

*Plenty of evidence suggests that Endo only really made the pills crush-resistant in order to extend their exclusive rights anyway. If my posts make your head hurt, you can read this great piece from NPR (or reach into the cupboard for a painkiller!):

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/04/01/472538272/how-a-painkiller-designed-to-deter-abuse-helped-spark-an-hiv-outbreak

Opiumhagen

Ope Snuff as it were.

• Locked thread