Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Mystic Mongol posted:

There's no charity quite like selling loving products.
He probably makes up for it in volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

'Always' explicitly says that any exceptions are unique or near-unique.
"Unique or near-unique exceptions" is a pretty much an euphemism for "player characters".

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I never noticed the font or the art upgrade until I checked the thread.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

"just what the hell do you worship, then?" :v:
"Yes, sadly."

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

There's actually a murder-mystery quest in Arcanum that it appears you can bypass if you have the 'Speak with Dead' spell. In fact, the dead guy intentionally gives you the wrong information, and you get the bad ending for the quest if you listen to him. In fact, I think part of the joke of that particular spell is that the dead are all either useless of give bad information; the game specifically points out that the spell is torturous to them.

I'm not sure about the sidequests, but you could kill/Speak with Dead your way through the entire main plot line.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

I think the real unexplored question on all of this is where does this action fit in with the alignment system in... hang on... give me a minute...

gently caress. There's no other RPG system in existence stupid enough to have an alignment system. Perhaps Gary Gygax is the truly chaotic-evil one.

Roll for Humanity loss.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Poil posted:

One of them already is a god, and I'm pretty sure he'd do a much better job at it than the current gods.
But I thought Banjo didn't want to join the pantheon?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm pretty sure at one point her teenage mind self actually says exactly that, though I'd have to check.
Your remember correctly.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Phanatic posted:

I'm not sure what would be funnier: if he didn't know that, or if he felt D&D had a spell that actually randomly reincarnates your dude as a Marvel superhero.
It's happened before.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Zogundar posted:

I can't remember when Durkon was supposed to have learned about it though.
Presumably when he and Roy were drawing battle plans for the final fight.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

I remember those; clerics usually won those, true, but that was largely an issue of positioning. At the level that most of those fights were held at (5? I think?) druids haven't come into their own, and arcane casters didn't have enough raw firepower to completely eradicate their opponents on round one. Meanwhile clerics DID have some really reliable buff spells that stacked cleanly with magic items they could buy from a small budget; a fighter having one more BAB and two extra damage from a weapon specialization would be matched cleanly with a bull's strength spell, and then the cleric would have as many items, as many potions, and buffs on top of them, plus the bonuses from two clerical domains which were pretty sick. Surprise surprise, the cleric would simply have better combat numbers and more hit points than a similarly optimized fighter.
I remember one of those. As far as I recall, it was won by a wizard with Dust of Disappearance and multiple scrolls of Enervation.

A.o.D. posted:

edit: Best fighter move in a wizard fight is to sunder the spellbook.
This, unironically.

The first time I've ever played AD&D, my wizard failed his save against a stray lightning bolt and so did his spellbook. It burned to a crisp and, since the campaign was taking place in a remote forest, I was told that there was no way for me to get a replacement.

(That was also the last time I've ever played AD&D)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Mikl posted:

Some years ago I DM'd a 3.5 game where I solved the "casters being overpowered" problem by getting rid of casters. In the setting I cooked up only elves could be wizards and only half-elves could be sorcerers, both were very very rare (as I put it to my players: "give me a good reason why you should play a wizard or sorcerer and I might consider letting you play one"), and all other classes had their spell lists pruned to eliminate damage-dealing spells. It was lots of fun.
There's also the Dark Heresy/Call of Cthulhu approach, wherein all magic is inherently evil, corrupting or sanity-destroying and learning it is a shortcut to fate worse than death.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Should have brought Crystal along.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

That feels a bit too much like "power of friendship" type stuff and as far as I can see thats not something Rich has ever put much stock in. Durkon might still play a hand in the vampire's defeat but I don't think he's going to claw out of his shackles and defeat it on his own.
Intense emotion can be a powerful game changer (see Roy's recent Hulk episode or Haley snapping out of speaking gibberish), but it requires a special trigger.

Durkon discovering the truth about his father's death would qualify, I think.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 8, 2015

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

It is at this point that it is revealed that while Shojo was not a paladin, Mr. Scruffy is, and smites the vampire into next Tuesday.
Wouldn't he lose his powers for associating with Belkar?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Colonel Cool posted:

imo it's less a religion and more a philosophy/code.

Jedi are more like monks than paladins in D&D.
But monks can't use swords! :downs:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Triple Elation posted:

What bothers me is that these games seem to have this concept of "Evil" as "person who is just generally a raging rear end in a top hat in every possible way".
If you're looking for a game where that is most emphatically not the case, look no further than Fallen London.

Behind its grindy gameplay and quaint Victorian setting, FL has more slippery slopes than a mountain range on the Elemental Plane of Lube. Even if you start out as a well-meaning paragon of virtue, the writers will use every dirty trick in the book (sunk cost fallacies, consistency traps, Milgram's Experiment stuff, etc.) to slowly but surely guide you into damnation, until you find your character carrying out a murder spree, joining a cannibal cult or setting buildings on fire with innocent people locked inside. And then, when you look back, you probably won't be able to find any particular point where the change happened.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 18, 2016

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

If it's on Wikipedia, it can't be more than DC 30, tops.

A DC 90 bear fact would probably be some Lovecraftian revelation that annihilates minds and turns people into cultists praying to the hibernating ursine overlords (and you, the herald of their awakening).

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

nimby posted:

Everyone deserves a chance to be Demilich-loved.
The last character to profess this creed got eaten by her own wights.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

My only hazy memory of Redwall involved appropriating "Bast-Imret" as the name for my edgy and brooding dark elf character.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

jeebus bob posted:

Haley is not a wet hen.
Eh, I'd say she is moist enough to be a von Lipwig.

As for Roy, he'd be a fine Susan.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 6, 2017

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I remember a villain form the Book of Vile Darkness like that. He would enlsave kids and they were linked by magic chains to his armor that redirected any injury or pain he received to them.
Disjunction bait if I’ve ever seen one.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

y
It could always be worse. We could have had Paths of Enlightenment.
Paths of Enlightenment are cool and great, as long as you restrict them to antagonists and treat their tenets as supernatural compulsions that players can research and exploit.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 11, 2018

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Dolash posted:

It'd be like being a monotheist in a world where your god hangs out with the other gods and frequently shows up with them to get into fights on your lawn.
Your god is the only real god, as evidenced by the miraculous powers that he grants to the faithful such as yourself. Not only that, but your god is also good, benevolent and magnanimous.

The other "gods" are false idols. Their worshippers are evil fraudsters who rely on carnival tricks in lieu of genuine divine aid. They want to kill you and defile everything you've ever cared about.

The fights on the lawn take place between the worshippers rather than gods, but they are both frequent and deadly. Sometimes, the dead bodies left on the ground belong to your friends and compatriots; other times, to regular people you have sworn (and failed) to protect. The charlatans have numbers, cunning and absolute lack of moral scruples on their side. You have literal superpowers... but those are only as strong as your conviction. If you let your faith waver, people will die and the bad guys will win.

There is no place for polytheists on the front lines of the Ascension War.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

RandallODim posted:

what's everyone's favorite hunter conspiracy, mine's cheiron
Ashwood Abbey is an excellent antagonist in a non-Hunter game, but I don't want to be in the same room as anyone who wants to play as their member in a Hunter one.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

reignofevil posted:

Split the party :getin:
That's also why the trolley problem doesn't work in D&D, unless it involves actual trolls.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Once OOTS is over, Rich will finish ASOIAF.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

Resurrection restores you to Full Hit Points when it brings you back.
Loki's Resurrection apparently doesn't because he's a bit of a dick.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Slashrat posted:

That's a neat detail, and suddenly makes me think that disintegration -> true resurrection might make for a secure storage system for characters of the evil inclination.
The basic viability test for evil storage systems is "would you use it to store your own phylactery?"

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's no reward at the end of the tunnel for being Evil with a capital E
That's because the reward for being Evil with a capital E is on this side of the tunnel.

That said, if supervillains got infernal rewards, whether by reincarnating as a Diablo clone or by being awarded their own pick of 100 Days of Sodom villas, it would create an incentive for heroes of the setting not to kill said villains and, indeed, to prevent them from dying. Alternate methods like flesh to stone, trap the soul, imprisonment and mind seed would see much more use on the Good side of the conflict.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 2, 2019

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I at least hope that the player's new character started at the same level as the old one.
At a higher level, surely. No one said that "strike the opponent down and you will attract the attention of their mentor/superior/sire" deal should only work for villains.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

IIRC, a stone golem becomes a flesh golem, while a regular statue becomes a corpse.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Pygmalion only from the statue's perspective...
At that point, you might as well play Promethean: the Created.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

My thoughts and feelings about Hel's potential demise are summed up by the speech that Haley gave the Crystal Golem before giving her the Terminator treatment.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Banjo will be the next ruler of Azure City after Shojo and Hinjo. Hence the name.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

oobey posted:

Why even bother with country lines and other geographical nonsense? The price of an object is determined by how much a buyer is willing to pay for it, full stop.

All you need to do is just conduct an interparty negotiation where one of the PCs agrees to buy the diamond in question for 1000 GP from one of the other PCs. If you don't have 1000 GP on hand, no problem, you can just conduct the sale on credit. Once the value of the diamond is set, do the resurrection. Easy peasy.
Getting a strong 'The Cambist and Lord Iron' vibe from this.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

ikanreed posted:

As long as we're in the alignment 9 hells, here's my awful take.

Law-chaos is your default reaction to those more powerful than you

Good-evil is your reaction to those less powerful than you
This is still the best alignment take in this thread and a serious contender to the best alignment take of all time.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

So not to make this an extended de-rail, but is it just me or is it kind of obvious that Minrah is supposed to be a Transgender woman?
It's not just you, I got the same impression.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

If Xykon could research a variant Moderate-Strength Forcecage specifically for Miko, I don't see why Redcloak has to be stuck with the default Implosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

sebmojo posted:

whoa. disintegrate is sort of pivotal, isn't it, as something that should make problems go away, but really, really doesn't.
Kubota will be avenged.