Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Durkon has one of the strongest souls in the setting, and he’s still a bit messed up from having been undead for a week.

wait, wait. Durkon was only vamped for a week in-story? You sure that's right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

ikanreed posted:

Is her role in the story to die again tragically? To carry on durkon's legacy in a way that his son and baby mama can't after he dies tragically?

to replace Belkar?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

seaborgium posted:

I could have sworn I saw a fantasy book where they did that. An empire 500 years in the future needed their legendary hero, so they rezzed him and he turned out to be a dick. I honestly can't remember the name of it though.

https://subterraneanpress.com/magazine/summer_2010/fiction_the_lady_who_plucked_red_flowers_beneath_the_queens_window_by_rache/

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Who's that V is carrying? I just reread the past 20 strips, and there was nothing to remind me.

(Incidentally - Minrah's big secret in #1135 - the one she was worried about, and didn't want Durkon to know, and then Thor told her it's totally okay and he's cool with it - am I the only one who thinks it's that she's gay?)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I like 'water over the tunnel' instead of 'under the bridge'.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

sebmojo posted:

My 10yo daughter is obsessed with oots and we've had some interesting discussions about what evil and good really mean come out of it.

How old was she when (she started on it / you decided she was ready for it)? Is there anything that particularly bothered her?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

Lawful Awful.

Paladin Kyanka?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

Does Blackwing seem to more or less follow the rules for familiars?

I'd say he's familiar with them.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

It somewhat annoys me that he just now revealed that, oh yeah, Minrah got raised. Had to pick through the archives to see where Durkon said he'd do it the next morning before they set out.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

He hasn't been remotely shy about being ashamed of Haley's early writing.

Where'd he say this, please?

(not challenging you; I'd like to see it myself)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Johnny Aztec posted:

God is God.
Jesus is also God.

And theres just like...a ghost that is also God, or God-Adjacent?

Now realize that tens of thousands of people have been killed as a direct result of arguments over this point.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

A cylinder, eh?

Now I’m imagining a magical burglar or bank robber whose MO is to carve out a hole in the wall by turning it into a big fleshy pillar and just pushes/pulls it in/out as needed.

the Baba is You thread is over that way.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

ikanreed posted:

What is that dwarf in back hearing in panel 3 anyways?

Belkar fighting a monster?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Mandela's Greater Disjunction

That's not what I remember that spell being called...

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

McCloud posted:

I'm not sure if this is a nitpick or a really good wordplay on the mandela effect

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

"I attack the sandwich. Unarmed, to deal non-lethal damage."
"Well, okay, roll at -4."
"15, so with my BAB and Dex I get to 18 despite the penalty."
"You successfully punch the sandwhich. Roll damage.
"5."
"The sandwich falls unconscious."

is there a gazebo involved?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

my dad posted:

Who is the vampire in the back?

wasn't there a vampire who was abruptly declared High Priestess of Hel?

edit: I guess so.

edit edit: holy poo poo, that was three years ago?

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 9, 2019

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

The Question IRL posted:

Saying all that triggered a suppressed memory about how one of the writers of the Legion of Superhero (I think it was Paul Levitz) did a detail breakdown on some long gone site of the Legionnaires sexual kinks and which ones had the biggest dick.
(On a technical scale it was Colossal Boy. If proportionality was taken into account, it was Starboy.)

That sounds like more of a Bierbaum/Bierbaum thing.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Gun Jam posted:

She's not a straight man by any means. Showcasing the party's power, sure - but that ain't being the straight man. It's about personality, and she...

That is not at all the link I was expecting.

Nor is it the definition of "straight man" that I was assuming.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

reignofevil posted:

Which brings me right around to, if someone has a true-name how could there ever be a 'personal' true name. Either something is your true name or it isn't that's why the name is true!

Edit- Super good class idea, FalseNamer. You gain power over things by speaking lies about someone to the ancient language of the universe but if you accidentally true name someone you instantly get smote.

https://www.oglaf.com/branding/

(is there anyone here who doesn't know that 90% of Oglaf is NSFW?)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm with Haley. I kind of want to be Durkon's mom when I grow up.

okay, which arm do you want to keep?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

So something else I just realized about this-

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0567.html

Nobody knows that the Oracle is a kobold. Which suggests that they definitely don't know her powers come from Tiamat, an evil God on the other side of the planet.

Did I miss something where the Oracle is identified as female? Belkar definitely refers to the Oracle as "he" in that strip (but Belkar's an rear end in a top hat).

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

I'm not going to link it because I wrote it years ago so the writing quality is really bad, and also I don't remember the number anyway, but it was basically a memetic... Well, originally a video tape, but it was "infectious"; when played on a device, any future media it played would be infected with it as well, and could thus also spread it, so, thanks to a VHS-DVD player, it jumped to discs as well. And later audio recordings of it while it was played on a different device. And art created by people who had been exposed to it, which they seemed compelled to do. And video footage of said art, as an unfortunate security guard who happened to be watching the monitors when a piece of it was unintentionally exposed to a camera found out.

In theory, it's the quintessential Safe item, as it could be thrown in a box and forgotten about, if one had all the copies of it. But, it's kind of hard to know if one has all of said copies, "infected" individuals could apparently create more independently, it wasn't known how many copies already existed prior to its discovery and containment, and of course if it somehow got onto the Internet then it'd effectively be impossible to contain, which is why I think there was disagreement. Still, I think I eventually stuck with Safe, since that was my original inclination.

was this the 'choked and died' one?

GreyjoyBastard posted:

p sure you're thinking Goodkind, not Jordan

"Goodkind is neither."

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

YggiDee posted:

Clearly, it's Eve.

God drat it's amazing how much of a difference there is between strips from 2004 and 2010.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Axis - Neutral - Allied

Safe - Euclid - Keter

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the things that really bothers me about most fantasy settings is how so many of them get locked in this eternal stasis where they'll throw in time periods like thousands of years and you'll still have the same pseudo-medieval level of technology and organization on both ends, which is just antithetical to everything I know about real history. Especially if you've got serious academic institutions like wizards are portrayed as, either there should be non-magical academics figuring things out or wizards should be constantly probing the realm of the magically possible.

You need to read Max Gladstone's "Craft" novels, starting with "Three Parts Dead".

and maybe Melissa Scott's "Five-Twelfths of Heaven".

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

sebmojo posted:

hell yes, that's a deep cut. The sequels were only ok, but the ideas in the first one were insanely good

(the conceit is that the occult/alchemical notions of reality all work, so ships fly by resolving zodiacal charts and following symbolic correspondences)

The loyalty geas annoyed me because I'd recently read Greg Egan's Quarantine, which does some interesting poo poo with the notion of enforced loyalty.

Hyperspace being purgatory was amazing, though.

edit: and, in keeping with the past few pages, I've been reading this thread since at least 2007. Probably earlier, but I started at the beginning and went all the way through until I caught up (which is why I haven't been posting in the Comic Strip Megathreads for a few years).

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

ultrafilter posted:

I sure hope Rich is OK.

I heard he needs a new spine.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

ikanreed posted:

A perfectly reasonable headcanon.

The only certainty is that minra is a fun character whose gonna be doing some punchline heavy lifting

I saw Minrah as gay, not trans, although I could probably be persuaded the other way. What's the basis for your reasoning?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

I never read forum posts.

the perfect mod.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

clockwork chaos posted:

As a trans person, I also read Minrah as trans so it's neat to see others pick up on it as well!
Also I wish I had a belt of gender-change or a Polymorph Other spell cast on me haha :smith:

Okay, fine.

*casts Polymorph Other*

You are now a small lizard.

That'll be 800 Gold.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Not just fine - he's also answering questions.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Whybird posted:

That in and of itself is a fascinating concept that we never see properly explored. I can't imagine somebody with the political and arcane influence to become an immortal undying spirit of pure energy is going to be satisfied with just hanging around in a box and being occasionally called upon for a bit of a natter; nor would the people who grew up listening to the stories of their heroism.

Like, if Congress had somehow managed to preserve George Washington's soul in a jar somewhere you can absolutely guarantee there'd be people arguing for him to be put back in charge, and numerous reasons why that would be a really bad idea, even with the best of intentions.

https://subterraneanpress.com/magazine/summer_2010/fiction_the_lady_who_plucked_red_flowers_beneath_the_queens_window_by_rache/

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

Wait that's got trans themes too? What. I think I only read like three pages of it, maybe?

Just as long as. Wait, the author of Goblins is trans too y/n? I feel like that came up at one point.

She is, yes. I'm not sure if 'Ellipsis' is her new name or her new pen name.

That said, Goblins is still terrible.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also I think Schlock Mercenary ended up with a long-term arc with a character from Nukees?

Schlock Mercenary used the cartoonist of Nukees as a character. A subtle difference, since the protagonist of Nukees was originally based on a self-insert.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Taciturn Tactician posted:

He killed an envoy of the gods who wanted to negotiate, which is literally what The Dark One also did.

The Dark One killed envoys of Loki. Under most circumstances, that's far more sensible than trusting them.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 3, 2020

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

A.o.D. posted:

Rub it in everyone's face, if his past behavior is any sort of indication. "Oh hey, all the nations of the stick world, look who has ultimate power. Suck my undead dick." "Oh hey gods, guess who can unmake all of you at a whim. Suck my undead dick."

"Uh, sir, liches don't have genitals."

"......... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I started somewhere around Azure City.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

W.T. Fits posted:

The MitD was inside our hearts all along!

it's a cholesterol golem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Acerbatus posted:

I can't even find it looking. :v:

Look at each speech bubble.

Read excatly what each one says.