Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Not at all, I think progressing from 9 to 13 to 19 is good. Each board size introduces new concepts that might overwhelm if you rush straight into 19. 9 games are short and many so you develop an eye for atari, life and death and fighting; 13 teaches you enclosures, extensions and moyos. You then combine the two in 19 with a grasp of the fundamentals.

That sounds smart. I just started and have only played 19x19. I start off okay and can do small-scale stuff okay, but after a while I get fatigued trying to keep track of things since I don't have the experience to grasp what's occurring on a strategic level.

Note to self: start smaller literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

Quick rundown of major issues:

Move 15: One of the main things in Go is trying to keep your stones connected. If you play R7, white can respond at R5. This is a great move for white because not only does it split your stones but it puts pressure on you to make life in the corner. You now have two weak groups. Ergo if you wanted to get around the white stones in this situation, S6 would have been more elegant.

Move 25: The shape you've made here is called the empty triangle and in pretty much all cases will come back to damage or ruin you in some way. It's hard to explain but as you play more, you'll start to see why it sucks. You want to try and avoid it. Presumably you played there to "shut off" your corner and gain some territory. I would suggest try playing at F17 instead - so even if white does play in the direction of B13, you've taken the same or more profit on the other side.

Move 42: You can now kill the corner with S18. At this point it would seem neither of you are aware of this, but this is a common thing. Even in my games, if the life or death problem is super hard, I'll play elsewhere and hope I can come to it later. EDIT: This is bad Go. Read it out properly and know there and then!

Move 99: One rule - if you are attacking something, don't touch it. J13 is just as aggressive, but leaves your stones in less danger.

Thanks for the analysis.

I'm playing two games against Uranus now. I'm not doing well, although hopefully I do better than that guy did. Really instructive to see specific examples of advice like this.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

xopods posted:

General comments:

Don't invade prematurely.
Don't defend useless stones.
Get better at L&D.
I know that ko fights are fun, but stop looking for them everywhere. Your two biggest blunders come about by trying to get into a ko fight when your opponent has no need to fight the ko in order to completely wreck your position.

Specific comments (including critiques of White's play too, not just yours):

http://eidogo.com/#4slSE2WTs

On turn 13 white attaches to attack black's premature invasion. What would a better point of attack have been, and why? O3? N4? L2? My guess would be N4, since it'd push black toward the edge more. I'm just unsure where to go to ensure the black group is pulverized rather than carving out a chunk of territory.

e: learned how to select other review lines, saw that you listed O5. Got it. Sacrifice some territory to create better walls around other territory?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Sorry I'm taking forever in our game.

Prediction: You win by a lot.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'll be rock-climbing. Shame, I'd be kinda interesting in seeing a pro-game breakdown.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

silvergoose posted:

And then comparing to me, who can play a few chords, comparing to someone who has never touched a string instrument. Makes sense.

If that's the metaphor we're using then I'm hitting the bottom of an empty paint can with a stick and still failing to make noise.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'm playing my first 19x19 against uranus right now, and half the time I'll analyze 500 different move combinations and permutations to find the best move to make, and the other half I'm like "that's not very fun" and I just kinda play the move that 'feels' right even if it ends up being stupid because it's just a game and why not.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

xopods posted:

Don't think too much until you're 15k or so, just play what seems reasonable to you at the time and see how it turns out, and then watch stronger players play to absorb some intuition for the flow of the game by osmosis. It's simply impossible to understand Go at all until you have a bunch of hands-on experience.
Playing against Uranus is pretty instructive. I think I'm less apt to fall for stupid moves, at least.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

any day is good for me! Pander play a move >:[

sorry! I'm State of Decaying.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

xopods posted:

Welcome to the game, and to a lifetime of addiction.

I should point out, however, that capturing stones is not a strategic matter, but a tactical one. Many a game has been lost by a player fixated on capturing a few stones and failing to think about whether or not that actually advances the larger strategic goal of taking more territory than the other guy. Generally speaking, in a high handicap game, if Black is capturing White's stones, it's because White intended to sacrifice them.

No crap. this idea has made me kinda paralyzed when it comes to taking stones because I keep thinking "what if this is what they WANT me to do?"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I keep going through those videos. They're both relaxing and informative!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

if black just plays c1 what can white do about it? feel like i'm missing something
I concur. White gets one capture, black gets the group.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

*files everything oiseaux just said under holy poo poo I will never be good at this game*

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Kheldragar posted:

Think like that, and you'll end up being those kgs players who have thousands of games yet remain at 15-18k. :ohdear:

Better than thousands of games and still at 30k, which is pretty much the trajectory my training is taking me!

The live game with uranus was plenty fun. I just get annoyed because I think I have a decent strategic mind for "where am I strong, where is he strong, where are we weak, where should I generally go", but the tactics of cordoning off groups, LoD, responding to invasions? I am absolute poo poo at those tactical skirmishes so far unless I'm given so much time I can try planning for EVERY local possibility.

In the live game, Uranus just ate me alive because I could never effectively control what I thought I had controlled.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I don't get problems very well if they're more than one move. Like if it's "black to move" I'll place something, and then people here seem to know what to put for white but I don't.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Kheldragar posted:

I beat Oiseaux in a 0.5 komi game by 0.5 points! :smug:

You care way too much about winning and ranking. It seems to go a bit beyond just "self-improvement" and kinda moves into epeen waving.

Just enjoy the games maybe?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

xopods posted:

Actually, W6, W26, W28 and W36 are all game-losing moves. Every time you allow Black to hane at the head of two like that you're committing a blunder on the order of 15 points or so.

Black hadn't hane'd at move 5 though, had he? What would have been the proper response to the constant black invasions at 3-3?

Also: Apologies to khel. I just feel there'd been a bunch of posts about rankings and how important it was to get them. Annoyed me kinda.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

xopods posted:

You seem to be losing the plot a lot. You start something in an area and then appear to forget what you were trying to accomplish and just go start something else. It may seem like high-level players tenuki at random, but it's never really at random. There are basically two reasons to tenuki:

(a) the local temperature has dropped because you're reached a relatively stable position, so it's now more profitable to play elsewhere, or

(b) it's not currently clear what local continuation will prove to be strategically best, so you turn elsewhere for the time being to see how the rest of the board develops before returning.

(c) Pander has no idea what he's doing and just plays a stone elsewhere just cause.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Kheldragar posted:

ITGO league game one for aeroplane:

http://eidogo.com/#1tK56cCdE

Neat game. The early-mid game where you keep leapfrogging all over the middle was pretty incomprehensible to me. I love your terror of ko fights.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Gorgy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

http://online-go.com/game/523935

I lost b 5.5 points! First game ive played that came that close. I had it till i blundered toward the end in the upper right. its much more fun when its close, though!

also here is a game i played with xom where he destroyed me after giving me 9 stones. i think he was probably going easy on me toward the end and probably could have taken away what little territory i had 'secured'. a learning experience!

http://online-go.com/game/515464

He beat me by like 170 points after granting me 9 stones, so you didn't do that bad.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

goodness posted:

So she played at T19, which took away the extra space that was preventing White from taking it?

Wow.

That's a pretty brutal mistake.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Zekky posted:

Well I ended up playing a handicap game with a 13k goon, I lost badly but Xombar reviewed the game afterwards so it was an edifying experience in the end.

I'm a true 30k. I'm Pander on OGS.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Uncle Jam posted:

If you're a beginner just play as fast as you can until you absolutely can't stand that your stones are getting eaten all the time. That's the time to ask for a review.

It's so hard for me to play that style. Stupid being a perfectionist :(

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Zekky posted:

How do you properly respond to an invasion? I keep losing to them even if it's behind a well developed wall, for example white placing around G7 in the image below (assuming the edges of the board are where the image cuts off):

It seems like with all the black pieces around you should be able to stop white from achieving much inside your territory.

That particular territory seems kinda large, like the whole goddamn board...not sure how to respond to that.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Kheldragar posted:

Are we missing the part where he says "Assuming the edges of the board are where the picture cuts off"?

That'd kinda make sense. If that's the case, then you pretty much couldn't kill G7 before it could form at least two eyes, it's too far to the black strength.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I'm 30k but I'm like 99% sure there's no guaranteed way to kill white there since your influence is just too far away to kill. Limit, yes, but kill no.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

so I haven't played in about 6 months or so. I'm about to get off a project that, coincidentally, has consumed my life for the last 6 months.

I was always 30k on OGS but now it's listed me as 21k. Huh. I guess it assumed I was practicing on my own or something.

Anyways, hopefully I can get back in the swing of things, I miss getting curbstomped by people a lot better at this than me.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

o.m. 94 posted:

OGS ranking system is fine, everyone is offset about 2 ranks from KGS

None of this matters

It's all relative

Play Go until you start losing more than you win, then overcome that, and your rank goes up

What if you ONLY lose when you play?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

AdorableStar posted:

Also if you imagine the shape of the corner after both hane's have been played, it's clearly the vital point. You don't even need to visualise white 2 and 4, just the black stones extending to the edge of the board.

I am idiot, but the gist of this is that the most important move for black to make is to play A18 or B18 to ensure two eyes before C3 or A16?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

AdorableStar posted:

A18 is the shape move for easy life, yes. Just imagine that double table shape.

What's double table shape mean?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

o.m. 94 posted:

Here is the corrected image. Best of luck,

D18, G19?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I was thinking "Well, I've only won one 19x19 ever, and it was thanks to a handicap of 6, so maybe for my first random 19x19 I should set a range of 18k-25k. That should work to ensure I get someone roughly on par with me."

http://online-go.com/game/1084900

I never thought curb-stomping a player could feel more shameful or boring. If it weren't for some rudimentary logic and chat, I'd have thought I was facing a random bot. I think I'm going to set a minimum of like 22k from now on.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I had no incentive to play well. I just wanted it to end :(

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

xopods posted:

Pander is not 15-16k. Capturing with N15 at move 24 is a move that should be automatic for a player that level.

You may be right that he could have beaten that opponent at 9 stones though. But I would say that guy is 28k-29k... so I'd put Pander at 20k.

After about 10 moves I wasn't making moves with precision. I was just trying to make them fast enough to ensure he couldn't time me out. Later on I left my own groups in atari for no reason other than that I knew he wouldn't take them (whether because he didn't feel like it or didn't notice them I can't say).

Look at my games with Uranus if you want to see what's closer to my level.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

SD?

It was byo-yumi.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

AdorableStar posted:

So how does he time you out?

My lovely internet timing me out.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

uranus posted:

have any of you done 'malkovitch' games? i'm thinking of trying one but am not sure how much i'll get out of it since most of my moves are made because 'it looks like a goodish spot'

In a game I did against Oiseaux a few months ago I made a few malkovich journal entries when I was planning something.

It didn't work out, so the journal entry just makes me look kinda dumb.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

AdorableStar posted:

I'm just saying that telling people not to go over pro games because they "can't understand them" is a lovely attitude to have.

He didn't say that at all. You're just an rear end in a top hat. I feel the exact same as him: I don't understand why pros play what they do, but it's still fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

xopods posted:

I'd assumed he was just responding to sarcasm with sarcasm, but yeah, I was working on a book at one point with help from James Sedgwick (6d amateur I ran into a lot at tournaments). I had also gotten He Xiaoren (a pro) to say she'd take a look at the draft when it was done, but eventually I realized I had to start doing something with my time that was going to make more than $0 so I kind of gave up.

You've inspired me to look back at what I've got though, Khel, and I realize that it's more than I thought... I had finished the first draft of the first two sections, which are actually about as much material as many books. I have no intention of finishing it and publishing it, but it would be a huge waste not to share what I've got.

Take it with a grain of salt because although I got feedback from James Sedgwick and incorporated it, I never did get He Xiaoren's help.

If you're wondering about the blank pages in the PDF's, it's because the idea was I would have all the text on right-hand pages and all the diagrams on the left, so there are blank pages for the left-hand pages in the bits where there is no diagram.

Here you go:

Chapter 1 - Wanting Too Little
Chapter 2 - Wanting Too Much

On page one. About to go to a movie so I can't continue, but I rather like the opening analogy. Easy to read so far.