Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

WTFBEES posted:

It sounds like this is a bit too late to help, but the Win 7 start menu search will not only search for file names, but it will also search within documents. Meaning if you type up a paper about monkeys and then name it Document1, searching for "Monkey" will find your document.

It's a really drat useful feature.

Holy poo poo, this is loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

evelynevvie posted:

What iTunes alternative do you guys recommend for syncing an iPod? It's a 4G nano if that matters.

I am getting sick and tired of dealing with iTunes. I just downloaded songbird and while I like its setup so far, it seems the ipod support extension is no loger supported. Is it possible to use songbird for my ipod now?

Sharepod. Its nice and light-weight (just stick it on the ipod itself and run it off there) i use it all the time on my downstairs computer with my big 160GB classic since i dont have a permanent PC now but still wanna put music on my ipod, and its NEVER messed it up/erased all my poo poo or anything like that :)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Any opinions on Office 365 here? Me and my brother need Office for our class, and I see that they have a student 4-year subscription for $79.99. It says we can put it on up to 5 PC's, so we would be sharing it basically.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Aphrodite posted:

It works fine. You just get full installations of Office anyway, so there's no fancy "in the cloud" stuff to break.

Apparently the android app doesn't support tablets. This is a deal breaker for me.

They don't even support the loving iPad supposedly either :psyduck:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Is there a way I can tell what's waking my PC up on LAN? I set it to go to sleep after an hour or so, and I leave the WOL feature on in case I want to watch something on Plex or whatever. However, it'll automatically wake itself up even when seemingly nothing on my network is going on.

I'm sure it's some other PC/device pinging the desktop in question for some random reason, but is there a way I can find out what?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Running powercfg lastwake in a command prompt might give you more information.

Thanks, but this doesen't really give me any useful information :(

code:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 0

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sri.Theo posted:

If I wanted to use an iPod without interacting with iTunes in anyway is that possible? Is there some way of installing a driver then just dragging and dropping music through the file system?

Sharepod is pretty great for this.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sir Unimaginative posted:

But given how actually bloated Java-based BitTorrent clients are, and how Qbittorrent is still having trouble not losing its mind (and let's not get started on the support structure you need to add to ports from Linux), I'm not sure there's any quality BT clients left on Windows.

What's wrong with qBitTorrent?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
MSE is really all you need.

e: holy poo poo, that website

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Medullah posted:

Look at that sexy desktop, laying on it's back flexing it's muscles.

That's all I can see now.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Karthe posted:

Has anyone been able to upload songs to Google Play Music using Chrome and the Play Music extension? I tried several times to upload a 17-song album (totaling 80MB), but no matter what I do it never gets past "Uploading 0 of 17 songs". I even tried leaving it to run for 3-4 hours thinking something might just need a long loving time to do its thing, but when I came back it hadn't changed at all.

Here's some console output from the Play Music extension's background.html:

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this - the things that jump out at me are "Skipping file" with a mention of the path at which the various songs were found, and the warning about being unable to find a unique id for path /media/iTunes (despite this being a fresh installation of Windows that iTunes hasn't been anywhere near). Any ideas? I'm on Chrome Version 41.0.2272.74 beta-m (64-bit) and the Play Music extension is 1.258.111.

Delete the extension, clear Chrome Cache, re-install extension and try again.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Entropic posted:

That makes sense. They're cutting backwards compatibility ties, so they might as well take the opportunity to rebrand.

Hopefully this finally kills the idea of browser-specific websites. There's way too much crap out there which was specifically coded for the foibles of IE6 or IE8, especially in expensive niche commercial stuff like EMR applications for doctors.

It won't.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
This is probably a weird request, but does anyone have a link/recommendation to solitaire/hearts/minesweeper? I just realized they're not included in windows 8/8.1, and I built a PC for my dad :v: I know MS has them on the metro store, but I don't think my dad could deal with switching back and forth between desktop environments.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Nintendo Kid posted:

Here's a 7zip of Minesweeper and Solitaire from 64 bit Windows 7: http://fishmech.net/Microsoft%20Games.7z

They should go into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games

Thanks for the link, but clicking on the games doesn't open them. Try setting compatibility to windows 7, doesn't do anything either.

Thanks for pointing this out, I think he'll love some of this poo poo.

beuges posted:

If he's playing Solitaire or FreeCell or whatever, he's probably playing them maximized, so they're full-screen already, and he probably won't really notice the difference if the Solitaire shortcut launched the metro game instead of the older version maximised on the desktop. Minesweeper window is small, but if he plays it a lot, he'll probably appreciate the additional stuff in the metro version as well. Maybe show him the metro games and see if he likes them?

GreenNight posted:

Minesweeper and etc in Metro is pretty nice to be honest. You get daily goals and other poo poo to shoot for. He might get a kick out of the new stuff.

Pretty sure you need a Microsoft account to download things from the app store, right? His PC is set up with a local account because he has no desire to have a MS account :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I just did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 since I picked up some upgrades for my machine and did some parts transplanting. What are all the cool kids using for classic looking start menu?

Classic Shell.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone use Google Play Music and the Music Manager program? It's worked great for me to get my music uploaded to the cloud, but yesterday it wouldn't upload 3 albums. It just sits at "uploading 0 out of 27 songs" with an empty progress bar. Then it goes away and says Last Upload: 0 songs.

I ditched music manager and just upload them myself through the play music website now. So much better.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Eight Is Legend posted:

Bought a Windows laptop from a friend to tide me over until I get money to replace my broken MacBook. What are the best programs for cleaning up the computer, short of doing a clean install?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just do a clean install, no point using a program when you don't have anything installed yet.

Yup, this is the correct answer. IF you don't have a CD key (or the sticker on the laptop ripped off or something) just use a keyfinder to get it from the PC, make an ISO on a USB drive and reformat.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

coke zero mit mayo posted:

There is. Copy this into a file, save it with a .reg extension and double-click the file:

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
"BorderWidth"="0"
"PaddedBorderWidth"="0"
Reboot. Done.

Edit: Or set the keys manually in regedit, I guess.

Roargasm posted:

Awesome thanks! All set :)

What are the default values? In case I'd want to change them back...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

-Dethstryk- posted:

My biggest issue with MSE is that I frequently run into it choking systems, where it seems to want to use a ton of CPU for minutes at a time to scan an executable before letting it go anywhere. I've seen this across every version of Windows and so many desktops at this point.

It's nice that it's free, but that can be annoying.

I've seen this, too. It's annoying, but honestly MSE is so resource-lite in every other instance I just deal with it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Is Sourceforge safe to download from again? Weren't they going through some poo poo before where new owners were packaging malware with installers and such? My qBittorent is bugging me to update, but the built-in auto-updater takes me to sourceforge....

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Twerk from Home posted:

You could also always build qBitTorrent from source, just checkout the release you want and build it: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent

I really don't want to do that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Totally forgot ninite could also update things. Thanks!

I'm still curious about sourceforge, though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Earl of Lavender posted:

Looks like it might not be a concern unless whoever owns the project opts in now.

Interesting. Thanks!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Levitate posted:

I almost want to build a Windows 98 VM purely for nostalgia...

I did. I played Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun on it. It owned.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I built my PC in November 2012, and re-installed a few months ago. The only reason I did was because I got an SSD and decided gently caress it :getin: but If I had no need to other than that.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Torgo2727 posted:

My Windows 10 is ready to download. The way i'm understanding these posts, it seems that if I upgrade and get my Windows 10 key, then in 6 months or so after buying a new computer, I won't be able to use my Windows 10 key for the new computer? I'll have to also buy another key for 10?

In other words, this free Windows 10 upgrade is for this computer and this computer only?

Yes.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

k-uno posted:

Quick question from someone who hasn't owned a Windows computer in a few years: how does support for high DPI screens compare between Windows 7 and 8.1?

I am going to buy a workstation computer for work, and want to buy a 28" 4K monitor to go with it. The main applications I'll be using are a LaTeX editor, Mathematica 10, Python and Visual Studio, with maybe a little bit of CAD work here and there. I use a 15" retina macbook pro now and love it, but need something with a lot more power for numerical work, and the Mac Pro is both outdated and crazy expensive. I refuse to consider Windows 10 under any circumstances because of privacy concerns, and I've never had a good experience with Linux (at least one component of the computer always seemed to be inoperable whenever I'd installed it).

I used to own a Win7 machine and liked it a lot, and though I hated Win8 when I first used it I haven't tried 8.1 and I've heard it's a lot better. If I went with Windows 7 how much are high DPI issues like tiny text going to bother me? Is it aggravating enough that it's worth putting up with 8.1? Or are there ways to configure Win7 so that it's not an issue?

Windows 8.1 hands high DPI screens better than 7, and 10 even better than 8.1. If you're really that concerned about privacy, and are planning to stick with 8.1 just install classicshell and you'll forget that stupid tile poo poo even exists. 8.1 is better than 7 in pretty much every way.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Munin posted:

Quick random question. Any way to get Windows 10 to lock the computer when it shuts the screen off or after a set period?

I tried to Google it and I only saw one answer that seems to apply to people with Pro and a slew of people who want to switch the lock screen *off*...

In the advanced power options section there's a "require password on wake" which is probably what you want.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is Windows 10 stable yet? I've heard reports from friends that's it's a mess but that was a while ago.

It's totally fine.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Jewel Repetition posted:

Are you being sarcastic? Someone on the last page was just saying if you have "windows tooltips" on or something you can save any new files.

It has like 80 million installs/upgrades or something like that and the world hasn't ended yet. There hasn't been a big "outrage" about instability in 10 so yeah, I'd say it's fine. Most of the things people seem unhappy about is stuff revolving around the forced updates and privacy.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

kiwid posted:

Had a computer where the motherboard died. After replacing it, it won't boot so I'm reinstalling windows. How can I extract the Windows product key from the hard drive before I wipe it? The hard drive is fully functional.

Magic. Jellybean key finder can do that. Had to do that for my friends PC.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

C-Euro posted:

Cool, thanks. Is Ninite still the thing for mass-installing common programs on a new machine? I seem to recall using that for my current laptop but that was back in 2010. Is there a better way to set up a new machine nowadays?

Yes, Ninite still owns.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Robo Reagan posted:

At this point she needs help with the computer a lot more than once a month and I''m terrified that she's going to go to a gaming site and get her credit card info stolen or worse. I just want my grammie to be able to sing to karaoke videos on YouTube and play solitaire and not have to worry about stuff. :shobon:

Remote desktop sounds like the best way but I've never used one before. Any recommendations on programs or is there something built in to Windows?

Teamviewer is what I use, works pretty good.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I must be a bad person because I just install the free Adobe Acrobat DC whenever I set up a new computer/reformat and it's been totally fine and unobtrusive.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Just a heads up for anyone experiencing this: the latest Nvidia drivers have a bug where it fucks with the start menu and mail app in Windows 10. Start menu icons freeze while re-arranging them, and the mail app crashes when you open an email.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

dont be mean to me posted:

And I can tell you exactly how it is going to go.

Nvidia will deny bleeping everything.
Microsoft won't notice because of their own putting out fires.
People will complain for another ten and a half months.
EVENTUALLY it'll get fixed, but this will be about the time when Nvidia drops another generation or two into the legacy pile, horrific bugs intact, so those video cards won't work with games or Windows ever again.
Nvidia will somehow lose no market share because AMD's software bureau is running on a budget of $piecesOfString and Intel thinks that video-card-replacement integrated GPUs should only come on CPUs that cost $usedCar and require winning a lottery or smuggling from Japan to get.

Actually Nvidia already released new drivers today that fixed the issue lol

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I feel like the same people who dump on lastpass because of the whole "store your passwords in their ~cloud~" thing then go on to talk about setting up keepass to sync with their dropbox or google drive and it's just like uhhhhhhh

I do get the idea of liking keepass better because it's open source though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ynglaur posted:

I agree the open source nature of KeePass is a huge plus.

What is the Goon recommended 2FA app? Does Microsoft's work on everything?

Lastpass has a 2FA app that I use that's pretty nice. Wish it backed up codes like Authy, but I'm sure they'll add that eventually.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ghostlight posted:

The difference is that someone trying to compromise generic cloud services is doing so to steal celebrity photos or poo poo like that and may not even know what to do with Keepass archives - if any - that they obtain as part of the compromise. Someone trying to compromise a cloud service that does nothing but store passwords is trying to steal your passwords.

LastPass archives may be encrypted, but thieves don't have to compromise the archive. They only need to compromise the service - such as last year when a guy figured out how any website could fish for plaintext copies of any password in your vault. Keepass is at least open source so if you wanted to you could personally audit the code, and the fragmentation of how it is implemented by users makes any breach much smaller in scope.

This makes sense. Personally, Lastpass offers the right amount of protection and convenience for me so it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Crotch Fruit posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I know you can upload up to 50,000 songs to Google Play, but then they are managed by Google and well, I personally would prefer to have my music saved on my hard-drive/NAS (for in home streaming) or at least be able to choose another service like drop box to store my music instead of being limited to Google's servers. I like this Google Play Music feature, I just think it could be better.

Plex will let you store your music on your home NAS and stream it around. Not sure about the cloud services part though.