Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
All these people talking about stores not having baggers is weird to me. I've worked for a grocery chain in various positions for a decade now, and that chain tries to have between 6-10 staff on hand during most of the day whose primary two job duties are bagging and pulling carts in from the parking lot. Customers get pissy if they don't have a baggers and have to do it themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mo_Steel posted:

It's been a while since I read about Bill's stuff with Monica, but I think they both were consenting adults?

I still don't quite understand the people that think the outrage is over "rude words" or whatever. Like...how hard is it to understand that violently grabbing people's genitals (or at all, really) without their consent is a bad thing???

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Goatman Sacks posted:

It's not hyperbole to say a lot of conservatives don't understand the concept of consent. See, Rush Limbaugh talking about the "rape police" and "all the liberals need is the magic words of consent for something to be ok"

That's honestly pretty terrifying.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

the_steve posted:

Not even sure where to begin with this one.

Two good angles of attack there:

1) "you know colleges give more than one type of degree, right?"

Or 2) "you're right, trade schools should absolutely get the same level of accessibility as academic institutions"

Hell, you can even segue those together. "Not everyone needs to be an English professor, a business major, a bricklayer or a welder. Make all forms of education and learning equal"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

raditts posted:

Hahaha, what the gently caress? How do you even attempt to have a conversation with someone who says poo poo like this?

Plus I'm fairly confident the American Civil War is gonna be covered in history classes for a while yet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's really hard to get people to accept the fact that "a handful of people exploit the system for personal gain" is literally just th cost of doing business for literally ANY system. The weirdest cognitive dissonance is that there seems to be a big overlap between people wanting to discontinue welfare because people exploit the system and the people celebrating the Republican candidate for president who brags about exploiting the tax system

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The type of people to type up a story like that legitimately believe that if you're poor enough to need government aid then you shouldn't own any "non essentials" whatsoever. If they could get away with telling The Poors to wear nothing but burlap sacks and eat nothing but a soy paste nutrient slurry, they would. Any use of money at all that does not directly stave off death is Abusing the System and Stealing our Taxes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vaishino posted:

Here's a thought. How about it's neither because it's still goddamn November?

I can't stand the "War on Christmas" narrative, but holy poo poo do I hate hearing it in November.

Because there's not a single holiday other than Christmas celebrated in the month of December. At all. Anywhere in the world. By any culture.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Nyarai posted:

Reminds me of this bullshit, where social welfare is "fixed" by treating the poor as though they are subhuman.

Yes, because everyone who's poor is that way because of bad choices they made. :jerkbag:

It's clear that the author doesn't care about money, certainly not with paying for all those drug tests and tubal ligations. They just want the poor to suffer.

Has any one of those "treat the poors as subhuman" plans every made any sort of mention of either gifts from family/friends, or possessions left over from a pre-poor time?

Or is it really just all "you were born poor, you're living poor, and you're gonna die poor"?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Red Oktober posted:

And don't get me started on their flat-screen televisions!

Seemingly a focus of every one of these emails/thingsthatdefinitelyhappened. Ignoring that it's been nigh-impossible to buy anything but for probably the best part of a decade.

I think the message is supposed to be "you're poor, why do you deserve a tv?", not "buy a cheaper TV"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Defenestration posted:

Before we begin Extremely Pissed Off Right Winger Weekend, I want to highlight one comment of breathtaking racism

This one caused me a moment of physical pain. Like...I still find it hard to wrap my brain around the fact that this kind of racism still exists. I know plenty of systemic inequalities are still around, I know that Deep South rednecks on front porches bitch about too many black people being around...but the faux-Darwinism "black people are literally subhuman/unintelligent/unevolved" rhetoric....where does that even come from? Are people really that uneducated in some areas? Or is it just voluntary, willful hatred over someone who looks different?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In the wake of Donald Trump's tweet about wanting flag burners to either be jailed or lose their citizenship, I've seen a LOT of anti-flag burning rhetoric pop up on facebook. I could fill several pages of this thread with it. Most of it is the bog standard "The flag is too sacred", "If you hate america then just leave", or (my favorite) "Won't someone please think of the poor veterans whose feelings will be hurt by a burning flag".

But interspersed through those is the occasional "If I see anyone burning a flag, I'll kick their rear end!" post. Threatening violent bodily harm against someone who has done nothing wrong is great...right? But this right here just takes the cake:

This man literally wants to murder those who burn his precious flag.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The thing that bugs me the most is honestly the veteran thing. Like...no offense to any veterans whatsoever....but what the heck does their opinion on flag burning matter? Generic "the veterans" don't set law or policy. And veterans aren't flags; burning a flag says nothing about veterans or the burner's opinion thereof.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wait...the Obama kids are adopted? Not that it matters, but that's neat trivia, I guess.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ohh...it literally is just tying back into that asinine "Michelle is really Michael" horseshit? That's so loving stupid.

I really can't wait for our first openly homosexual or transgender president just to see conservative heads detonate

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

xergm posted:

The troll response to his last post is to ask him if he's OK with it so long as people buy their own flags and don't burn his.

That actually was the tone of my next comment:

Sadly, after that 3rd person jumped in, he stopped responding.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

silicone thrills posted:

If you don't outright hate all muslims than that must mean you approve of everything they do. My dad is an extremely hard right winger and he's used that logic on me my whole life. Pretty much the worst.

That's when you point to the Planned Parenthood shooter and say "guess we need to hate all Christians too"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The thing that bugs me most about the anti-participation-trophy rhetoric is that I think it is incredibly harmful to actively discourage participation, especially to children. Yes, not everyone wins, but if we teach kids that winning is the only thing that matters...what kind of lesson is that overall? "Be the best, or don't even bother trying"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

the_steve posted:

Personally, and remember that I am an uneducated moron with no kids of my own, I think we need to teach kids that it's OK to lose, as long as you tried your best and learned something from it.
Obviously, you want to win, but a loss isn't the end of the world. Let it spur you to improve and all that.

There's a balance to be struck. I'm not saying every single participant in an event needs to get a big shiny trophy or prize or whatever...but even saying "hey, you came out and gave it your best effort, good job" is still a 'participation trophy'; just an intangible one

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

comingafteryouall posted:

Participation trophies get handed out even if a kid doesn't give effort. The point is rewarding kids when they work hard and play for the team and not rewarding them if they just kind of stand around or complain a bunch.

I'd like to reiterate that first thing I said: there's a balance

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dalael posted:

This here, is why kids born in the 80's and beyond, grew up to be entitled fucks.

"I deserve something for showing up!"

So encouraging kids, or anyone really, to get out and take part in stuff is inherently bad?

I'm not saying that we should lavish praise and heap rewards on someone for bothering to get out of bed, but what's so heinous about expressing the sentiment of "hey good job for at least putting in the effort"?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dalael posted:

I never had a participation trophy in my entire life, and neither did anyone in the generation born before mine. It didnt stop us from doing poo poo and its retarded to think that it would.
I don't remember the world grinding to a halt because some kid didn't get a ribbon that said, "I was there!"

Stop forcing children to build a shrine to mediocrity.

1) survivorship bias is a poor argument
2) ableist slurs aren't necessary
3) I never once said we should reward merely being present. Instead, my argument has been to at least recognize and acknowledge effort put forth, even if victory was not attained. Teach kids that not everyone wins, but that effort is important.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dalael posted:

I'm fine with encouragement and all. You say good job, you tried and gave it your best. You take them out for ice cream. All that is fine. But participation trophy's are just sad really.

That stuff literally is the participation reward. Encouragement, maybe ice cream.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SSNeoman posted:

I present to goons, a comedy in two parts:

Talk poo poo: http://www.latimes.com/home/la-hm-erskine-20151010-column.html

Get hit: http://www.latimes.com/home/la-hm-erskine-millennial-pledge-backlash-20151012-htmlstory.html

Real talk, who the hell uses the word "smut" nowadays?

In the second article, I lost it at the "millennials always sleep in late" thing. Bitch, I'm 26 and I have to get up at 3:45 am 5 days a week.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LunarShadow posted:

Pretty sure I am slowly dying

Aren't we all though...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Also; what's up with the cognitive dissonance on the source of food stamp money? When people are employed, their taxes fund poo poo like food stamps; when they fall on hard times, they cash out what they've been paying in. It isn't money from nowhere, it isn't a free handout. It's literally something you pay into in case you need it later.

Related: I've seen the same person, on consecutive days, share a "don't touch our social security, we earned that" and "kick all the bums off food stamps" meme.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dalael posted:

just like idiots who use the word rape for stupid poo poo like videogames.

And people who use "retarded" for stupid poo poo like forum posts?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dalael posted:

You're loving retarded...

Are ableist slurs necessary?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

archangelwar posted:

I see no reason to put swords and guns in the same bucket.

Carrying weapons in a bucket seems irresponsible anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Defenestration posted:

right wingers howled for 8 years about paying for Obama's vacations.

People (and I've seen this on both sides of the political line) seem really bent out of shape by the fact that for all its power, the Presidency is still a job. And people take days off and vacations from their jobs.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 14, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Panfilo posted:

I told everyone at work happy holidays to see if anyone tried to correct me and say merry Christmas and it turns out nobody gives a poo poo outside of Facebook rants.

We actually had a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays incident at my workplace, leading to a customer complaint to management that our place of business needed to be respecting the original meaning of Christmas (she, of course, meant Jesus poo poo, and not the pagan celebration that Christians stole)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just wanna know why they're so certain that the person at far right isn't transgender.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Being "too smart for school" can gently caress you up in so many different ways. I was accelerated past 1st grade when I was in school due to not being challenged at all by any of the work in Kindergarten. I continued not being particularly challenged by schoolwork from 2nd through about 11th grade. The problem wasn't that I was "too smart", but rather that I was a very fast reader that retains a good percentage of what I read. So standard public school coursework, being based on reading a regurgitating information from textbooks, didn't challenge me at all. But I spent all of elementary school being seen as a little kid every year because I was a solid year younger than any of my classmates. And then when I started taking dual credit courses and then going to college, I had little to no practical studying or note-taking experience to draw on.

I don't know if I'd want to do it any differently if I had the option...but I can definitely see its impact on my life today.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

coyo7e posted:

I find it hard to believe that if you were in school that morning, that the teachers just wheeled in TVs and turned it on to gape at.

I was literally watching the Challenger launch when it went up, it was because I was in like 1st grade and spaceships were still a big patriotic deal back then.. But they sure as gently caress turned it off real quick when they realized what'd just happened.

But 9/11 happened pretty dang early in the morning, so even on west coast I doubt it'd be more than like announcements that counselors were available or something. Turning that poo poo on live is borderline criminal for an educational institution.

Can't speak for everyone, of course, but I was in 6th grade for 9/11, and we were seeing live coverage for quite a bit, before the principal just decreed "no more tvs, normal coursework only"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not even going to bother to screencap the discussion...but why is it that half the time when you call out someone on something lovely they say on social media you get back a response along the lines of "shouldn't you be at work" or "why don't you go back to playing video games and leave me alone". Like...can people seriously not conceive of someone not having a 9-5, M-F work schedule?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And wait...are these people saying that a white woman marrying a black man is somehow a bad thing? Like...do they give any defense to that beyond "gently caress black people"?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I honestly can't tell at this point if the people celebrating about repealing Obamacare while simultaneously praising the ACA are seriously that ignorant or if it's some kind of performance art.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

VideoTapir posted:

Got any more examples of it in the wild? Preferably ones where they go on and on about it unopposed?

Unfortunately the one I was about to cite for you I was unable to go back and screenshot. The guy spent an hour or so replying to anyone saying "you know those are the same thing...right?" with paragraphs about how dumb liberals are, and then started blocking everyone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

People are bending over backwards to try to justify this is "Oh he was just having a laugh with a woman he's worked with for decades!" Because grabbing people's genitals is hiiiiiilarious to Republicans for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any evidence whatsoever to suggest that Manning's gender had anything to do with it? Like...how are they "proving" that Obama wouldn't have commuted her sentence if she was identifying as male?