Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Grakkus posted:

I'd really like to see a proper, normal-person car constructed with similar minimalist design standards.

Modern kei vans?: https://www.financialexpress.com/au...-month/1415347/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Really :effort: on staging a representative load for the truck.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Saw a new Navigator today. The proportions look good in real life, and the Land Rover comparison holds, but the rear is busy.

The two chrome strips stand out a lot more, and the lower one in particular doesn't blend well with the two clear bits of the taillights.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How much does it affect the HVAC system when vents are resized? The new ones don't seem that much smaller, but I'm sure comfort was an afterthought here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Those laws affected wagons?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I guess 1 year ago, some exec burst into the design studio with a printout of the BMW 6 GT and demanded it be cloned.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

Did you ever look at the original Panamera and think "I wish it was bigger and blobbier"?

Well good news!

Meet the new Cayenne Coupe

*brings out NASCAR approved Macan template*

Alright you're good to g--- wait, this thing's 8/7 the size! (the Cayenne's actually only 5% longer than the Macan).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ilkhan posted:

3 cylinders in the escape? loving CAFE.

It puts out more power and torque than the current EcoBoost 4 in the Escape, which is more powerful yet again than the base 2.5.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

Blame Chinese engine displacement taxes first

Does it matter between a 1.5L 3-cyl vs 4-cyl (the current)?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Most fun of all would be a Giulia Ti (again, RWD with the mechanical limited slip diff). But I'm yet to meet anyone brave enough to take that suggestion.

Gotta wait a 10-20 years for the AI enthusiasts to take that plunge.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lord Stimperor posted:

Find is strange that no company names their electric car Evee

Like that bot from the Pixar movie

That was EVE.
Wonder if Eevee is trademarked by Pokemon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

When your engineers throw a tantrum about not being able to work on rotaries.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The vents under the corner of the front lights are also fake. I wonder if the ones atop the wings are too...

Usually when someone online mods a car it looks poo poo but the Mk5 is probably one of only very few cars to be improved by some random dickhead sat at his computer.

I feel like the first company to come out with a bumper that makes it look like a mk4 is going to get paid.

The headlights are an improvement, but the spoiler doesn't fit, the winglets are too faddy, and the rear lights he did to call back the MKIV are pointlessly retro.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

From GRM's review video, the Supra looks like a jumbled up jet fighter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-cvnqZlnrA&t=56s
It doesn't look great, but all the lines and feature density is pretty uniform. I like that Z4 ducktail in the back.
e: in that matte, it looks like a weird fighter jet. Not in a completely bad way.

Also, gently caress him for saying PSS aren't good enough for the track.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 14, 2019

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

y'all remember when Toyota were like "yeah this is pretty much the new Supra for 2020"

I don't think anyone should have expected that wedge front to survive pedestrian standards.

Infinotize posted:

a year from now everyone in here will love the supra

First reviews are already "it's not that bad" on the shifting.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

> even a model like the 86, a car arguably built for a manual, could only muster a 33% take rate

:negative: it's over

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

This reminds me, the corrado never took off as a collectible car/future classic like everyone said it would, did it?

Nice ones are fetching a premium on BaT: https://bringatrailer.com/search/corrado/
I would say those prices feel commensurate with what they are. It's not a huge market but people who want them certainly are willing to spend.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Prong Song posted:

That's not the Corrado turning into a collector car, it's BaT rapidly turning into the next Mecum/Barret-Jackson auction site.

That seems tautological. If the site can find people willing to pay for a car, doesn't that make it a collector car?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Charles posted:

No, it isn't. It's just some random person's render.

They have some pretty good details to work with, though:
https://www.motor1.com/news/350301/next-gen-genesis-g80-without-v8/

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There are $60k M2s out there, aren't there?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

not a great car by many metrics, but you do get a way better interior space to size ratio than modern cars, and the visibility is incredible.I can turn my head and see out of the sides and back!

Some of that visibility and carved out space comes from packaging that doesn't maximize safety. I dunno if NCAP has changed much since 2003, but it only scored 3 stars back then.
Video looks like it would do pretty poorly in small overlap.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is like the least AI post I've seen in a while.

Hey, don't forget that I drove a 1974 Lotus Europa in the last couple years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

So have you ever tried riding a bike for 10 miles in 20 degree weather?

It sucks but it's better than waiting in an open station for the subway which is broken down from the laundry list of reasons.
I'm happy to bike commute so my driving is all for fun.

Bike commuting is not available to most people because a lot of parts of the country have never seen a bike legally using a road.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Saw a couple new Mazda 3s out on the highway this weekend.
I like it in person. The proportions aren't perfect, but the organic shapes postively recall the mid-late 2000s Alfas, maybe the Brera in particular.
More bold than good looking.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Prong Song posted:

ILiveInAStateWithAnAverageTempMayToSeptemberOverEightyDegreesCombinedWithAverageHumidityOver80Percent,
NotThePacNorthwestWhere78IsReallyHotAnd58IsReallyColdTheresNoWayImTaking6ShowersADayToFacilitateYourDesireToSeeMeWalkAShortDistanceToWork.txt

How do people in 3rd world countries who wear long sleeves in summer do it?
Let's talk about how convertibles, summer, and stop and go traffic don't go together.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tesla has their finger on the pulse of millenial buyers
https://twitter.com/tesla/status/1141041018835353600

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Charles posted:

If they really leave the steering enabled, somebody is going to come in to the dealer with flat spotted front tires :P

Yeah, what the hell, drive by wire? Maybe it was to make the ad look a bit more dynamic.

Countdown to some ped being killed cuz someone decided to play this at a light.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

is a <year> <make> <model> *doofy grin*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I sorta see it:

but the Element greenhouse is really tall:

Using lowered Elements for the right ground clearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BloodBag posted:

You know how cool cars like Lambos, Ferraris, Bugattis, and MacLarens are badass until you meet types of chode that own them? (no offense Kimbo) Those people. People with more money than taste.

:negcycle:
I have never met another Ferrari owner and that seems to be working out ok for me.