Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
I bought Stringer from the Hero Factory line today. I may make a full review later if anyone really wants one, but long story short, don't buy Stringer from the Hero Factory line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

djfooboo posted:

but. but. but. A Brickset reviewer says it is pants :v:

His right arm (the cannon) is one piece all the way to the shoulder. Furthermore, the front end is angled to make it seem bigger for the pictures. It's really stupid looking. I do, however, enjoy the Hero Core.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Ularg posted:

Without knowing the name I did a google search close enough to it and got a related image (text on that image, not so much)

I think this was when Bionicle went downhill. These guys were the pinnacle of awesome bionicle stuff and they were my personal favorite. After that, I don't know :sigh:.

I had one of these and I took it apart recently to sort my Lego collection. Looking at it apart I have this to say: Every part in there that's not extremely generic is meant to build a circular robot. You can put them into other MOCs, but without hiding them they'll just be oddly circular bits in the middle of your MOC. Also the carriage for the rubber mask is very purpose-built. I don't think this was the last good set, I think this was the beginning of the end.

But they're so loving awesome. With their necks extended they're like little robot death chickens.

AstroZamboni posted:

Uuuuggggg... not good. Bestlock might as well be called "Wontlock".

Most impressive is that even on their cover images, Bestlock pieces don't loving fit together. At all. There's bigass gaps all over the place because the pieces won't fit.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 7, 2010

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Just found my first Series 4 in Orlando at the Waterford Target (I know a lot of goons live in Orlando). Got myself a Frankenstein's Monster and a Mad Scientist, going back for Haz-mat, Viking, Werewolf, Rocker, Hockey Player, and possibly Artist tomorrow. Wasn't expecting the figures to be in stock and my phone was dying, so I just rifled through a couple for shapes I knew.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 4, 2011

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Fuuuuuuuuuck. Between this and the Steam sale going on right now I feel so poor.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Saint Sputnik posted:

Whoops.

e: 804 pieces, according to Brickipedia.

That seals it. first Buy Two Get One sale at TRU that comes up after this comes out, I'm getting two of these, and another one free. The hull isn't even a cast hull, at least not up top. It looks brick-built. That's awesome. And black riggings?

Revol posted:

They had a lot of displays outside that I don't recall seeing last year. In fact, it seemed like the entire store got redesigned, and for the better. Pretty much everything is against the walls, so the floor is pretty open. It was very busy for a Tuesday at 1pm.

Knocked it the gently caress down earlier this year, it's been rebuilt and is easily twice the size inside. While it was down they replaced it with a badass Lego tent on the other side of the Marketplace by Once Upon A Toy.

Revol posted:

Even then, I think they still do fade a little bit. If you look at the dogs and then look at the Toy Story thing, you can tell one has been around for years while the other hasn't. The first thing I noticed about the Snow White settings is how bright and colorful they are. It's not like the serpent and the people with dogs aren't colorful, they just don't have the sheen that the new ones do.

The dogs and their owners were 'refreshed' a month or so ago, so they shouldn't look too bad. I think that once every 6 months or year they take all the outside bricks and recycle and replace them. The owner kids were rebuilt as a princess and a pirate, though, because the store next door has the Bippidi Boppidi Boutique and the Pirates League where little kids can get made over to look like princesses and pirates.

Yeah, I'm a Disney quasi-nerd, what of it?

E: Almost forgot, the Ultimate Lightning McQueen is on *clearance* at my local Target because it's such a hideous set that I don't think any have sold. Keep an eye out.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 6, 2011

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Revol posted:

How often does the PAB wall refresh? And you know, I was thinking about this last night... some AFOL should run a website that catalogs what is on the PAB on a monthly or maybe even weekly basis. This would really help me, as I'm in Tampa, so it's a day's event for me to go out there.

That PAB wall is refreshed box by box every time they run low enough on a piece that they have to reduce its presence on the wall. As far as the contents of the wall, whenever I go I can make an effort to document what's on the wall and post it here, I presume that'll help.

Any other Florida Goons going to the new Legoland when it opens in October? Pretty sure I'm going in the first or second week of November, it should have died down by then. We could make it a Goon Meet if there's enough people interested.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I love the Lego movie and I'm going to see it for the second time on Thursday, but man does Lego ever frustrate me sometimes.

Not the blocks, the company. Lego (the brand) is succeeding enormously and all evidence indicates that it's utterly in spite of Lego (the company). The hype train for this movie is going crazy. Fucker made over three hundred and fifty million dollars already, and it's not really slowing down - it made ten million last weekend, meaning it beat everything except for two new movies and week-old Non-Stop. It's five weeks old! That's unheard of. This thing is a juggernaut. As a company you don't just let hype trains like that go. You feed them. You dump more and more product and more and more news into every stream you can touch to make sure that people know that you love them, and they will universally love you back in the form of piles of money. I'm buying a Sea Cow as soon as I can get to the Orlando Lego store. I'm buying a Spaceship!3 the day it releases.

So what is Lego doing? How are they feeding this hype engine for classic minifigs, classic bricks, and classic playstyles and formats?

With a loving Simpsons minifig line, that's how. Holy poo poo what a blow to the face.

I understand that Lego has been burned. I understand that bankruptcy was a very real thing a mere ten years ago. I get it. But those are reasons not to plan for overwhelming success, not reasons to plan for immediate failure. The Lego Movie has only been out for a month, and it's not even going to be out in many countries for another month yet, and here we are, choking down Simpsons figures news when all we want is Emmett & Co. Even if the movie was mediocre, three months is no breathing room at all. gently caress Lego, if this whole bankruptcy scare happens again, you've lost my sympathy. These are amateur mistakes, and you need to behave like the second largest toy seller in the god drat world, not some rinky-dink fly-by-night backdoor manufacturer. Even Megablocks wouldn't be caught dead derailing a juggernaut success. What the gently caress, Lego?

Sorry, I had to vent and none of my friends are really into Lego.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 12, 2014

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

obi_ant posted:

You do know things take more than a month or two to conceptualize, create and market right? Lego probably didn't see the movie getting as big as it's doing. Give it some time and they might create something awesome.

Yes, I'm well aware, but that's not the problem. The problem is that Lego planned for the movie's failure, as I mentioned. Planning for its success (not what I'm asking for) would be saying that the Minifigs line and all VIP sets for the next two years are going to be Movie themed. That's dumb. But planning for failure is securing a massive and prized license (like The Simpsons) and abutting it to your own homegrown IP at such a short interval that some markets will get the new licensed IP two weeks after the homegrown IP's flagship movie locally premieres. That's planning for the homegrown IP to be a flop. That's a vote of zero confidence in a property you've invested millions in. And that's an amateur mistake.

The Rage posted:

This and Lego has multiple lines running simultaneously, it's not like they shut down production of the movie stuff and announced Simpson's, that stuff has been in motion for years. Also considering drat near every store I've been to is sold out of movie toys, I'd say more is definitely on the way.

Deep breaths Plastik, Lego doesn't just make one line at a time.

Lego does have multiple lines running at a time, but as one company they speak with one voice or they will drown themselves out. Their customers are loyal, and case studies have proven them to be some of the most loyal in existence, so it's not like you can say that The Simpsons and The Lego Movie IPs are somehow targeting different interest groups within their demographic. Both The Lego Movie and The Simpsons have broad demographic appeal, and both are licenses that are insanely valuable. And yet they're squandering a lot of momentum for one in favor of the other, momentum they can't get back. It'd make sense if they were doing The Simpsons as a time-limited thing, say as a build-up to an announcement about the overall Simpsons property or something, but no, Groening said late last year that there wouldn't be a Simpsons Movie sequel anytime soon, and really what else is there? "Hey guys, we're planning on having a 26th season?".

Even just pushing it back to a late summer release would have allowed them to push a whole second wave of Movie sets before the release of the Simpsons IP, and it'd still be in their 25th anniversary year and, as a bonus, everyone on the planet would at least have gotten he chance to see The Lego Movie in theaters before the hype train started.

But no, we get one big train derailing another instead. As someone who's interested in business it's certainly fascinating to watch, but as someone who likes Lego it's horrifying.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Okay so I was gonna come in here and post about Lego making bad decisions from a business perspective but i guess the thread got derailed to hell. Good job, guys. And apparently Tiny Brontosaurus who has a pretty huge hard-on for someone to acknowledge that they don't necessarily have a penis.

Pirate Ken posted:

Anyway, Lone Ranger sets, after buying a few at half off, are great. I have no desire to see the film but these are probably better than any 1996 Wild West reboot we could have dreamed of. Classic train, beautiful stage coach, and the mine! The mine is a hidden gem (and great if you can/could pick it up for $35) with so many cool play features and a great look.

The worst part about the Lone Ranger sets was the license. The train and the mine would have been must buys for me if he price were a third lower.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 13, 2014

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

Please, save us and this thread with your deep insight into plastic toy businessworks. It definitely wasn't one of the worse parts of the last five pages or anything, for sure.

I'm sorry my two posts were so terrible compared to two solid pages of you being told you're a sweaty manchild with aspergers I guess?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

rickiep00h posted:

But they didn't. That's the whole point. They planned for a solid showing for the movie and got an unexpected blockbuster. At the same time, they produced a single set from a single license with a limited distribution channel and some minifigs which are part of a series of products with an inconsistent distribution channel. I honestly don't see how you can spin that as planning to fail. You claim that you think they shouldn't "plan for success", but what the hell do you think they could do, given the inflexibility of the film industry and the shitshow that is retail?

A reasonable business would have spaced The Lego Movie and The Simpsons line farther apart. Lego didn't, presumably because even a decade after they almost bankrupted themselves, they still don't know how to capitalize on their own product. How long after kids' movies come out are the toy aisles usually subjected to them? I don't know, but judging by the fact that Planes (now 8 months old) still has a six foot section at my local target, I'm going to say more than three months. As it stands Australia, a not-insignificant Lego market, is going to be seeing the movie 14 days before the Simpsons Lego comes out. And it's not "A one-off set", it's the next series of minifigs, and the next large exclusive set announced with a press release that called this a "partnership", implying that this could be the start of a line. Either way, the minifigures represent Lego's newest "thing" in product right now, and with shelves empty and no more supply of the last line coming in, I'd bet people are going to order tons of the new series. You know, the series with the lukewarm reception on this very site (and Reddit) and an inarguably waning popularity. So a bunch of retailers may well be sitting on potentially immovable stock of a Minigiures line, cooling them to the idea of ordering in quantity when the next line comes out. No way that could backfire, nope.

rickiep00h posted:

On top of that, it's not like a) the Simpsons license it toxic or will perform badly, or b) they even occupy the same space on store shelves outside of the LEGO Store. And if you're all in a tizzy about the movie minifigs being bumped out by the Simpsons minifigs: before your comment, there were several pages of people talking about how historically inconsistent minifig distribution is because it's entirely outside TLG's hands.

I was there for those pages, and they were about how historically minifig series have been found on shelves randomly months after the fact, but that's not true for the new line because most stores are fully sold out of them and say they're not getting more, which is Lego failing to meet a demand for a product associated with this new property they've manufactured. it's Lego failing to monetize.

rickiep00h posted:

The movie is a huge success, and it's generating a ton of interest for the LEGO brand beyond just the movie sets. What else do you want from them?

I want a company that manufactures a toy line that I enjoy to stop behaving in a way that will get it bankrupted. Again. I want said company to effectively monetize the largest single investment they've ever as a company made. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask.

InfinEight posted:

He wants to see Lego Movie sets and merchandise clogging store isles for months all the way up until the end of 2015 when everyone will be so utterly sick of it that stores across the country will clearance all of it and let him obtain every set for pennies on the dollar.

Asking for more than three months between the release of the series and Lego's Next Big Thing isn't "all the way until the end of 2015". If you're not going to contribute, don't be a loving shithead about it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Chairchucker posted:

I am saying that the LEGO company wants to target them to kids, so they are less likely to approve applications that have less appeal to kids.

Remember, one of the Cuusoo sets is based on a 30 year old movie, and another is based on a 25 year old trilogy, neither of which really have much appeal to modern kids.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

beato posted:

Happy Easter, Legoons!

The title of the MOC is, of course, "Double Decker Wicker Basket - So everyone can collect eggs together and be bunnies!"

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

There seems to be so much being made, including unique new moulds/parts that just a single Ideas set wouldn't suffice.

I would agree with you, but do you have any idea how much money Disney Infinity and Skylanders pull in? If Lego Dimensions is even half that successful each set will sell enough units to justify multiple unique molds. Not saying they'll do it, just saying it's not entirely out of the question. Either way it's clear that Lego is after that market in a big way.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Fall Catalog is out. Nothing too surprising, aside from that the leaks were wrong and WALL-E is $60.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
If Dimensions is anything like Skylanders it's going to be permanently on sale. My niece (and by extension my sister) is really into Skylanders and if you look hard enough there's more or less always a sale on something Skylanders from a major retailer unless a new version just came out. If Lego adopts the same model it'll only take a few weeks of paying attention to the sales websites to get anything for about a third less than retail.

E: Don't know how much this applies, if at all, outside the states though.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

PriorMarcus posted:

It's because it folds open. And I really wish it didn't. I'll probably print a new sticker and use one piece there.

EDIT; Oh, wait, it can't open up. gently caress that then.

Speculation on Reddit is that it opens up, but on the left-facing side. The hinge is on the right side of the picture. The bricks and stickers are split so that all 4 sides are the same.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

anotherblownsave posted:

Edit: I guess my overall point is, if it is a coincidence why is Lego offering him a free set to appease him? They're hoping he won't sue, and good on him for not suing.

What would he even sue for?

Ideas ToS posted:

If the LEGO Group introduces a product similar to an idea submitted on LEGO Ideas you understand and acknowledge that any coincidence is unintentional and release the LEGO Group against any claims of infringement.

Ideas ToS posted:

We do not offer compensation for follow-up products. For example, if we decide to produce additional products after yours, based on a license we secure to produce your project, or new models in the same genre as your non-licensed project, you will not be compensated as these products are initiated by the LEGO Group independently of LEGO Ideas.

By submitting his idea he's acknowledging the possibility of this exact situation. It's laid out in the ToS twice.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Is one able to purchase or otherwise obtain the black base plate pieces that come with the series mini figures?

They're Part # 88646, you can get them $0.04 a pop on Bricklink.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

NESguerilla posted:

Have they ever given a reason for why the wings fold in on an X-wing. I've always been fine with "it looks kewl" but there is no way they haven't explored that in detail in the SW universe.

Heat dissipation and atmospheric flight. They only spread during combat because they need increased surface area to cool the weapons and engines, while the engines alone can be cooled indefinitely in the closed position.

Also they're not wings, they're S Foils.

:reject:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Without a doubt one of the most impressive MOCs I've ever seen was posted on Reddit this morning.

https://imgur.com/gallery/snxk3

https://www.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/4gmsfp/finished_my_giant_imperial_star_destroyer_moc/

(For those who can't see it's an Imperial Star Destroyer that's 56 inches long and about 70lbs with a dozen interior vignettes)

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
If you're looking for Disney figs in Orlando the Disney Springs Lego Store sold out of their 3000 units in 3 hours, but World of Disney next door has been getting in crates every couple of days (God knows how or why, the Lego store can't get more apparently). People come in and feel out the packs but they do a poo poo job, I was told there were no more Mickeys left and I ended up with one, so check then yourself to be sure.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Hopper posted:

What's with the black Lego tools they included in the pic? Weird.

I don't know but if you watch the Bricks Magazine video the pre-release version of the set he built has them too. When the set is done they're all piled in front of his laptop.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
BB-8, Jurassic Park Visitor's Center, and Jedi High Council Chamber are all part of existing licenses and were never gonna happen anyway.

uXs posted:

I have quite a lot of Ideas sets and the only one I kinda regret is the exo suit thing.

Same

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Got a Temple of Airjitsu at the Disney Springs Lego Store, probably the biggest set I've ever bought and it's marked down to only $100. Gonna build it over the next two days but it looks cool as heck.

If anyone needs one there's a lot left at the DS Lego Store.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

I need one. It seems only the Disney Lego stores have the markdown. They won't ship. Other Lego stores won't price match.

I can't do it (I had to lyft and bus to Springs, it takes two hours each way) but if someone else in Orlando would be willing I bet the set minus the box would fit in a large flat rate box.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Waltzing Along posted:

You could probably still find a keychain and disassemble.

Or get the Hot Dog Truck. Not 100% sure if that suit fits all figures or just the friends ones. Will find out on Xmas when my gf puts it together.

It fits all figs and since it's in that set you can order it from Bricks And Pieces

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The interior is designed to look good. The exterior... is also designed to look good. The two have only the barest minimum of respect for each other.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ptkfvk posted:

i accidentally bought 50ish sets of tires

You're not getting away with just dropping this in the middle of a paragraph and moving on. How does one accidentally buy 50 sets of tires?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

More ship in a bottle drama fuel:

Can they retake this picture with the Ideas set bottle oriented vertically rather than horizontally? That's the way the box art has it. It's one thing to do a comparison shot to prove its small but another entirely to deliberately misrepresent the difference.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
E: Disregard, I can't tell if I'm seeing the geometry right on the box art anymore.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 24, 2018

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I want an official Sean Connery minifig.

Here you go.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

No-one would buy it if there wasn't a Spider-Gwen minifig in it. Expect a set with Gwenpool soon.

I was in exactly this camp but then I saw Spider-Gwen has no webbing on her suit and I'm out.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they're turning the screws on the toys that sell because Solo hasn't performed as well as they wanted in merch?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

Lepin gotta make a buck somehow

I mean, they could try not stealing intellectual property. That could be a thing they do.

This is going to discourage creators from sharing WIP pics in the future, and as such it's pretty poo poo. Not to mention that Lepin's QC means that it's unlikely that their version will go together, much less stay together for more than a little while. Everyone loses!

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

tuo posted:

My main interest is Lego Technic, though.....so this my home?

Yes, but be warned, we'll likely sell you on Ninjago City and the Saturn V before the year is out.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
There are a lot of people making GBC balls now, and some people use marbles. The soccer and basketballs are a dollar apiece, so they're pretty much a no option for newcomers.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

Am I crazy or does this brown stud just sit on top of the mug? The actual stud bit is too skinny for the mug.

(Day 6 of the City Advent Calendar)

I don't have the advent calendar but modern mugs fit the antistud, not the stud. The 1x1 should be face up in the mug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Taeke posted:

I got bitten by the Lego bug again... After buying the VW camper a couple of weeks ago I now have Wall-E, the ship in a bottle and the pop-up fairy tale book waiting to be built as soon as I'm off work this evening.

Where'd you get a Wall-E? I missed it and I kind of want it so if they're available for a reasonable price I might be interested.