Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

How do preorders on Lego.com work? Do they charge at the time of ordering, or shipping?

I want that Jurassic Park set because it’s Jurassic Park but I honest to god am not sure where I’d put it in my house yet.

Charges when it ships, but there's usually a pre-authorisation fee that shows up as a pending charge on your card until it does. Though those sometimes get cancelled and disappear before shipping if there is enough time between the pre-order and something shipping, but I think that's down to your bank/credit card company and not LEGO.

Hi, I work for LEGO (just customer service, nothing exciting), been lurking this thread for a while looking for an excuse to post, this is as good as any.
If anyone has questions about CS related stuff for the web site or parts replacements or the like, I can probably answer them. We usually don't get told about unannounced sets in advance, and I wouldn't be able to talk about that anyway, so I wouldn't bother asking about anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Testro posted:

Ooh, I have one.

Like many in this thread, I have a large collection of Lego. I don't have children, so the sets are not played with. They're displayed in a dedicated room and I look after my sets carefully - no pets, no smoke etc. I generally keep the curtains/blinds in the room drawn so there's not too much sunlight.

I've recently been swapping around my display models and taking apart some models which have been on display for years. Some of the sets have bricks that have broken.

Now, fair enough - I know that reddish-brown was notorious for doing this, and some of my sets are from 10/11 when this was a big problem so there's the odd 2x8 plate that's broken completely, for example.

But there's also a few in the more recent sets - notably sets with clips. A couple of 1x1 plate clips on Hogwarts Castle have broken (holding trees) and the clips on the Kwik-E-Mart have done the same (the ones holding the carrots on the roof).

At first, I put a couple of requests for replacement parts in - but then I worried that I was doing too many at once (i.e. I haven't made a request in 15 years, suddenly I've made 3 requests in a week). Is there a limit on requesting replacement bricks? Am I best spreading them out over time, or am I ok to put all of the requests in - or should I contact CS and explain?

I don't want CS to ping me for making unreasonable requests. If it was on the smaller sets, I think I'd be less bothered, but having spent a few hundred on Hogwarts and Kwik-E-Mart, it feels a bit annoying that they've broken so easily after being built once.

So we do block people for abusing the free replacement service, but you usually have to be asking for a lot of parts and licensed parts/minifigs to have that happen. Like really suspicious stuff like "I'm missing all the minifigs from the UCS AT-AT". A bunch of regular parts probably aren't going to get you banned.
It could help to talk to CS directly, they might help out and just send you the parts if you explain and if there aren't too many parts you're after. Worse case scenario is they might just tell you to buy the parts from Bricks & Pieces instead (though you wouldn't be able to buy anything licensed).

Veotax fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 13, 2022

Veotax
May 16, 2006

drat, that looks better than I expected and the price is pretty great too! The Aloy minifig looks great as well.

Definitely picking that up!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Lasership came in a couple of weeks ago I think, we're using them for some of the east coast states I believe.

We've also moved over to using DHL instead of TOLL for Australia and New Zealand.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Butterfly Valley posted:

You know you can just contact lego customer service and they'll send you a replacement piece no questions asked?

It's really easy too, making replacement part orders is like a significant portion of my job.

Hell, there's an easy way to do it without even talking to customer service. Go to LEGO.com, click on help and then replacement parts. The system can automatically cancel orders if they're too big or have high-demand parts, basically trying to stop fake orders of people trying to get parts that aren't actually missing, but if that happens you can just use live chat to talk to CS and we'll probably approve the order if it's not suspicious.

Replacement parts come from the Bricks & Pieces warehouse in Denmark, but they skip the queue that paid parts are in so they usually ship the next business day.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've been getting into the Modulars myself lately and yeah, only ones currently being sold are Assembly Square, the Book Shop, the Police Station and the Hotel.
Also the Daily Bugle, if you count it since it's got the peg holes to link up.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

davebo posted:

If you're gonna get roped into modulars though, that's a good reason to get it first. You don't wanna start with the best and just go downhill.

The bookshop actually was my first, so that's worked out for me! Didn't have any complaints about it, but the police station was my second and it did feel like a step-up.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

xzzy posted:

Buying the new one every year is way less of a concern than getting the bug for collecting ones that are out of production.

Feel genuinely bad for anyone getting started in modulars at this point.

Yeah, I only started collecting LEGO in general since getting this job in October and now I'm looking at the older modulars and really wanting some. The Diner is one I really want, especially after seeing it on display in the office.
I'll probably get it off BrickLink at some point, I guess, but not being able to use the staff discount makes it sting a little. Prices don't look too bad.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

The new Delorean uses it for the Flux Capacitor I think?

That's the most recent one. The Technic Batmobile from the recent film uses two of them, in different colours. One red in the front and one yellow in the back.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Rad Valtar posted:

So I went to the Lego website this morning to look up the Lego Succulents and Orchid and the pages for them seem to be gone. When I click on a link for them in Google it gives me an error page.

Oh, that's still broken? They went down sometime yesterday, but only on the US site for some reason.

The pages are up for other countries if you just want to look at them
https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/orchid-10311
https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/succulents-10309

If you want to order them you'll need to call customer services, I guess.

Hopefully it'll get fixed soon.

EDIT: Oh right, they're not out yet. Hopefully be fixed before then.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

When are the paper bags coming?

Plan is to go fully/mostly paper by 2025, according to the insert that came with the Xmas Ninjago set they gave us. That set had paper bags, but it was like only half of them, the rest were regular plastic.

I should probably take that thing down soon, I need room for other stuff. If anyone wants to see it I can post pictures when I get it off the shelf.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I went to the White City, London store today to get the Longneck set and it just vanished instantly, was lucky to get it myself. Didn't look like they had that many.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Technically GWP's are supposed to be one per-household but the system doesn't seem to be able to pick up that you've received one before and not add it on for future orders.

But it's in the T&Cs in case they ever get that to work.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Westfield on a weekend? Brave man.

Lady, actually.

But yeah, it was either that or Leicester Square, I assumed that was the lesser of two evils. Easier to get to from where I live too.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nope, LEGO doesn't charge until it ships. You might have seen a pending charge, but that would have been cancelled ages ago now. Visa cancels pendings after like a week, I think Master Card takes around a month?

You'll be charged for it when it ships.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think they're packed in a way that will guarantee that you get 6 unique minifigures, but randomly. So like buying two boxes won't guarantee you get the whole set/6 doubles

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I built mine fine. There's no error in the instructions AFAIK, that just sounds like you had some missing pieces. Which sucks, but it happens on occasion.
It's why the free parts replacement service exists.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Do you think the starry night set will still be available for order around Christmas? Wondering if I should get it for my spouse or not and don't want to decide yet.

Unless it's out of stock, sure! Unless it's some limited seasonal item, like an advent calendar or something, almost everything is around for like a year and a half or more.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mameluke posted:

Ugh I'm going to have to become a midnight release person if I want that forestmen set aren't i

To be fair, the Cardboard Adventures GWP had been around for weeks. It didn't come out and then immediately sell out, it got extended for some reason but then sold out in the US with the rush of orders this morning.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

LaserShip is only used for some East Coast states, don't know what ones odd the top of my head.
No idea wy we started using them, just that it started a few months back.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Marmaduke! posted:

I'm just wondering how much longer Optimus Prime is going to stay in the lego warehouse! Why other releasing something on the day before a bank holiday weekend if you're not going to get it to your couriers for five days...

If you're in the UK it's not shipping until Tuesday at the earliest. DPD and DHL weren't picking up anything yesterday or today and Monday is a bank holiday in Belguim where the western Europe warehouse is so nothing for that region is shipping until Tuesday now. Also nothing ships over the weekend most of the time for any warehouse anyway.

I decided to pay for express shipping for my Optimus and it actually shipped on Wednesday, but DHL's still not delivering until Monday.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

GWP's don't usually go that fast in my experience.

What happened at the start of the month with the Cardboard Adventures set was just a weird case of a GWP that had been running for a few weeks already getting extended into the new month, but since it had already been running there wasn't much stock left so it all disappeared in moments when the June 1st releases went up.

And that was only in the US anyway, stock lasted a few more days in Europe before we ran out.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

bi crimes posted:

saw the GWP while supplies last until June 22. Is that still available? For some reason, I assumed it'd be out of stock immediately

Quick way to see is to go to the "Offers" page on LEGO.com. If it's out of stock then it'll be removed.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I like that Sanctum Sanctorum!

Same! I've been looking for a third Modular to 'complete' my collection (I can only fit three on the shelf they're on) and I decided to hold off on getting the Hotel when I caught wind of the Sanctum. Definitely going to go for that.
Shame it isn't available for pre-order in the UK right now. Hopefully it will be later.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

$50 less than the Daily Bugle but with only 9 minifigs instead of 25

the details look neat but they'd really have me if they threw in an extra 6 wizards

maybe (Multiverse of Madness spoilers) the illuminati from the movie so I could role play exploding Mr. Fantastic

Not having America Chavez as one of the minifigs feels weird, especially when they have three versions of Doctor Strange and some Infinity War figures.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just built my Optimus Prime last night and had my first missing part. Was missing a red corner brick (1x2x2 according to Bricks & Pieces) and had an extra grey 2x2 instead.
Thankfully I was able to substitute it with a 2x2 & 1x1 bricks from my parts bin, but I ordered a replacement anyway. No idea if I'll actually go through the effort of putting it in though when I get it.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Ferrari came in today but wonky tire :mad:

Mostly straightens out when put on the rim but still has a flat spot

Not a huge deal but disappointing on a $400 set.

Contact customer service and send that picture, you'll get no argument and get a replacement sent out. It'll take a week or two to come from Denmark, but it's free.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

uXs posted:

It's been a few years since I got it, are they still going to replace those?

Rule of thumb is that unique parts (including stickers) are available for like 2-3 years after a set is retired. But if the stock runs out early that might be it.

Doesn't hurt to ask if they're still available, can't imagine anyone is going to say no if we still have them in the warehouse.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I have no idea how the contacts for licences work, that stuff won't be said publicly. But the one thing that I know is universal for licensed LEGO stuff is that we can't sell licensed parts on their own, just the complete sets. So any parts that are clearly licensed can't be sold on Pick A Brick.

It's also why there is always a side build for Star Wars battle packs or whatever, we can't just sell a pack of like four Clone Troopers, but if you throw some scenery in it's now depicting something rather just being a collection of dudes.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, there's only three Lightyear sets, so I guess they wanted to spread the characters across all of them.

https://brickset.com/sets/theme-Disney/subtheme-Lightyear

Other than Buzz himself, there's no repeated figures. And the repeated Buzz has less accessories in the 4+ set.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Taeke posted:

How long will the castle be available? I teally want it but 400 euros is a bit steep for me right now, but I should be able to swing that in a couple of months.

A good few years, probably. I'm not aware of any big sets released recently that are only around for a few months, stock issues not withstanding.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If the advertised GWP is all gone and you make a purchase, will the replace it with something else? I also wanted the castaway set and was waiting for today to buy anything. The AT-TE is backordered now too, if you make a purchase on a backordered item I'm assuming you don't get the 2x points if it isn't back in stock until after the promotion is over?

No, you don't get something else if a GWP goes out of stock.
If you pre-order/backorder a set, you only get the GWP that was available at the time you ordered (if there was one), not the one that's going when the order ships.
You'll get double VIP points if you order during the promotion, even if the order doesn't ship until after it, even if it's weeks or months after. But you don't get double VIP if you order before the promotion and your order ships during it.

I know you didn't ask about the middle one, but these are some of the most common questions I get about this stuff at work, so I threw it in anyway.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Skios posted:

Lego House dinosaurs are currently on sale on Lego.com, but only ship to Denmark, the UK and Ireland.

The reason its so limited is because these are just the same sets sold at the LEGO House, no changes to the box. There are things legally required to be on the box in some countries that aren't on there, so they can't be sold there.
I think this is a limited release online, so it won't be around long. Which is why the boxes haven't been localised.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Digital War posted:

Has anyone else used the online Pick a Brick from Lego much? I made an order back on the 23rd of September. I received the bestsellers portion of the order in 6 days but I'm still waiting on the rest of the order. Just wondering if this kind of wait is to be expected or if I should get in contact with Lego.

Standard parts are shipped from Denmark and picked by hand. This is the same warehouse that free replacements come from, and free replacements get priority, so they ship out before any paid parts.

In short, paid Standard parts can take weeks to ship. I think I looked at the backlog the other day and it was orders from mid-October shipping.
If you ordered in September and they still haven't shipped, maybe check with customer service. Delivery for Standard parts is also slower, for most countries it isn't even sent through tracked delivery, so delivery can take another couple of weeks sometimes.

Bestseller parts on the other hand ship faster. They ship from Poland for most of the world, but for the US & Canada they ship from the US warehouse.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

BaconCopter posted:

And yeah I'm probably just going to return it after I call Lego support to see if they can do something about it. What an immense hassle and let down jfc.

We probably can't do anything, we don't have spare boxes that we send out to customers. Usually we would tell you to go back to Amazon, or maybe in extreme situations we can replace the entire set, if you wanted to send it to our warehouse, and then maybe wait several weeks for the usual returns process before we shipped out the replacement, but the set is out of stock (and might never come back in stock since it's retiring at the end of the year) so we can't do that. Since it's not in stock and wasn't ordered from us, probably nothing we can do.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Is this....
A comint star destroyer?

Cantwell-class Arrestor Cruiser

Was an unused design for the Star Destroyer pitched for the original Star Wars. Appeared as an easter egg on a recruitment ad in Solo, just showed up for real in Andor.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

VIP discount codes stack, but VIP reward codes (the ones that give a physical item) don't.
Those codes from the VIP weekend that give a discount on a specific set count as reward codes rather than discount codes.

Basically, if it goes in the code box in the basket, you can only use one. If it goes in the discount code box after clicking Checkout, you can use multiple.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Are the codes you redeem points for good indefinitely? I never redeem one unless I'm about to use it.

All codes, both for discounts and items added to orders are valid for 60 days. If one expires you can usually get the points refunded though, nobody on customer service is going to say no to that unless they have a very good reason.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

engessa posted:

Also a bunch of new city sets: https://brickset.com/article/86514/2023-city-sets-announced!

The recycling truck looks cool and the bins seem to be on a green piece that could be connected to the new road pieces.

Huh, the stunt bike guys have little moulded details on the sides of their waists. Is this new? Never seen this on a minifig before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

After the success of Andor, I do hope we get more sets based on the show. Kind of tempted to go get the one that came out.

If the lead time for new sets is two years or something, then they could be in time for season 2! :v: