Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Cakefool posted:

No.

E: you could look up equivalents such as the nutritional value of one bun in a multipack from the supermarket etc but not big Mac exact values

You are wrong good sir. McDonalds and most fast food places have the caloric value of each ingredient of each item on the menu. Add a Big Mac to your meal, and you can click the radio buttons to add or subtract ingredients.

Manslaughter posted:

Is there an easy way to find out the nutritional information for the individual pieces of, lets say, a Big Mac, instead of the nutritional information for the entire burger?

http://www.mcdonalds.com/content/us/en/meal_builder.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Most US cities have horrible alternatives to driving your car everywhere. Our entire infrastructure was built around the idea of cheap readily available fuel.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Mister Macys posted:

A friend of mine is arguing that the word niggardly (stingy, cheap) is unrelated to the word friend of the family, whereas I'm pretty sure the former is the root word.
Any links that could help my argument to make him stop using it?

It was news to me that the two words were unrelated. I'd imagine the percentage of the population that knows the origin of both words is going to be pretty low. Not a word you are going to find most people using and I'd just avoid it (especially in a professional situation).

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Doctor_Acula posted:

So I have recently found myself unemployed, and I have decided that in my time questing for a new job, I'd also like to work on my lifelong dream of doing stand-up comedy. The problem is that I have a terrible attention span, and thus find it hard to write. Any suggestions?

Also, is there a, like, ask me about being a stand up comic thread? I looked, but I may have missed it.

What about doing some improv classes?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
They show up on the iPhone, so I am guessing he is using the Awful app.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

jackpot posted:

I just posted something on Facebook, on a company's public page, and a few minutes later one of my friends "liked" it because I guess it showed up in her news feed or something. It's not that I said anything embarrassing, but the idea of friends seeing stuff I'm posting away from my own wall bugs the poo poo out of me. Can I turn that off? Why are my friends seeing posts I've made on walls they're not even affiliated with? Why am I still on Facebook at all?

It shows up in their "Ticker" on the far right side of Facebook. You can scroll through that to see what your friends are up to.

I don't think you can turn it off.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm going back to school starting the fall quarter and just registered for classes. Is 20 credits really the max I can take per quarter? Four classes? That doesn't seem like a lot.

20 credit hours is a ton of work depending on the school. At the university I graduated from, a typical undergrad class was 3 credit hours, and you have to get permission for anything over 18 credit hours in a semester. I did 18 during the second semester of my senior year (so I wouldn't have to walk and then come back for summer session) and it was really rough.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

haveblue posted:

Usually what happens is you pay a small amount to secure the preorder, which will be deducted from the final price so you don't end up paying extra overall. If you don't pick up the game, they keep this money (as payment for the service of the store holding a copy of the game for you and not letting anyone else buy it). It should say somewhere in the store or on the receipt how long they will wait before giving up on you. You only get charged the full price when you go through with buying the game after it comes out.

They keep the money?

Where are you preordering your games from? GameStop allows you to cancel a preorder and they will either refund your money or allow you to use the amount towards something else. Best Buy does the same thing.

In fact, I've gotten the annoying call from GameStop letting me know I didn't pick up my game and that I have a $5 credit waiting for me there.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

haveblue posted:

I hardly ever preorder games, I thought that was how I remembered it working.

Yeah, that is completely opposite of how it works.

KoB posted:

I've definitely not picked up my game and both gotten my money back and pushed the money onto a different preorder. They don't just take your money. Thats insane.

Exactly.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Thanatosian posted:

It's almost certainly against the terms of your employment agreement for you to share salary information with others. So, if you do tell her what you're making, make sure she doesn't say anything about you mentioning it in the interview.

That being said, the only people confidential salaries help out are the people doing the hiring; they prefer that employees and potential employees remain ignorant as to what they can possibly get, so that they can lowball them.

In short, gently caress the man, help your friend out, just be careful when doing it.

Generally a policy like that only applies to coworkers, you are free to tell anyone else your salary if you so desire. My company has a specific written policy that I can't share my salary with others that work at the company. People do it all the time anyway.

Peristalsis posted:

You know, there's no guarantee that ColdBlooded isn't being underpaid, either. Maybe you should both check out glassdoor, before urging her to settle for whatever you're getting.

Glassdoor is good, and I don't think there would be any harm in giving a 10k range that she could shoot for.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there anything saying a company has to stay close to an estimation of work? I know an estimation is just that, but say I ask a roofer to come in and do my roof, and he says it will be $10k, then he gets done and charges me 20k, without any major changes or other work that needs done.

Contracts, and only deal with reputable companies.

Obviously if they tear the roof off and then find the whole deck needs to be replaced or something, that could change things. Typically though, the price is agreed before hand in writing, and you pay 50% up front and 50% upon completion.

This is based on my limited experience with a deck project and a small concrete patio.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Schweinhund posted:

On what planet do you put spaces between the dots?

In most word processors, typing three dots will automatically correct it to have the spaces.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

tarepanda posted:

What kind of fee are we talking about here?

I'm 28 and an ex-pat, so I don't have a car or insurance, but I'd like to rent one in a few weeks when I go back.

For most full-size cars, it is between $10-20 per day.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
I've had it happen before, and I would say it is probably incompetence. The owner probably won't be happy losing that money and will track down the problem.

Next time I'd suggest calling the restaurant first. I was double charged a while back and when I called to see what was up, the manager refunded both charges, which was a nice surprise.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

PaganGoatPants posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Safe Deposit Box at my local bank. What things should I put in it beyond the obvious?

I have my Keepass master password in mine. Not in an obvious format, but enough of a reminder that it will jog my wife's memory. Just to make it easier for my wife in case I die or something horrible happens.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

stubblyhead posted:

If you're going to do that, I really can't think of any good reason not to just write it down in plaintext. It's a safe deposit box, no one but you or your next of kin is getting in there.

It is a passphrase that is shared between us, so she doesn't need it like completely written out. I don't know why I didn't do plaintext, I guess I've just read too many scary stories about banks declaring safety deposit boxes abandoned accidentally.

Wagonburner posted:

A large amount of cash a handgun and ammo is obvious to you yes?

Also 1 of 2 external hard drives with a good backup on it that you swap out every x days. Keep your animus until you're 75. (If you can find a player for them.)

My parents got a deposit box a year or more ago and said i could be added on, I keep meaning to do this but haven't yet.

You aren't legally allowed to store guns in safety deposit boxes.

Cloud backups are easier and I don't have to worry about hardware failing.

Edit: Looks like it isn't illegal, but my bank's rules don't allow me to store guns in my box.

Sieg fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 31, 2013

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

KnifeWrench posted:

Why are people getting safety deposit boxes if they don't know what they want to put in them?

My understanding is that they're best for
A) Extremely valuable or
B) Important and irreplaceable
things that you don't need to get to very frequently. It's (anecdotally) not a convenient place to store stuff, so people talking about rotating out hard drives sounds excessive to me.

Examples of the sort of things I've heard of in safety deposit boxes are heirloom jewelry that doesn't get a lot of use, stock certficates, and the like.

This is a pretty comprehensive list.

For B, I think it is important and/or irreplaceable. My official birth certificate isn't irreplaceable, but is a huge pain to get replaced since I live 700 miles from where I was born.

An important one that most people don't think of: I keep an SD card in mine with pictures of anything of value in my house and make sure to take shots of any serial numbers or whatever. I update that about once a quarter.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Diseased Dick Guy posted:

Thanks both of you for the super helpful advice. I was a little worried that the cops might not be able to do anything because every time this happens she's coming home, so by the time they get there they can't observe her actually doing the reckless driving. I'll just go ahead and keep the police on speed dial from now on. I'm going to take photos, maybe even video, as well. Kind of pissed that didn't occur to me earlier today because I had a perfect vantage point of her doing it when I was walking my dog in the woods.

Hopefully not the 911 number. Just call the non-emergency number unless she actually hits something/someone.

If she is exiting the neighborhood, just call in with the street and direction she is heading along with her plates and a description of the car. Maybe you'll get lucky and there will be a cop in the area.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Namarrgon posted:

But.. Is that all? Just outside - drywall - wooden skeleton (presumably with heat insulation and water protection?) - drywall - inside? How would that carry the weight of an extra floor?

The floors and roofs are supported by joists that run the length of the house. Google house framing and look at images or YouTube videos. You've probably seen them and just didn't know what they were.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

No drywall on the outside. Just sheathing and some sort of vinyl or brick, generally. The wood studs carry the weight of the house. In modern homes at least, the brick is just a facade and doesn't carry any structural loads.

Depends on the area of the country you are in. In the KC metro, most houses just have bevel siding.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Namarrgon posted:

Well I ask because obviously I'm not American and all houses I've lived in before my current ones have had concrete upper floors. So next questions; are American houses like this generally noisy? I'm used to the fact that you could never tell if there was anyone on the other floors.

The same principles of construction apply. You had girders or something supporting the weight of the concrete. You have to have something to carry the weight of the floor/roof.

I didn't notice that you were non-American. You don't have Google/YouTube in your country? The reason I suggested looking up "house framing" is because it would show images/video of the frame (skeleton) of the house and likely someone like a builder or framer explaining what they were doing.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Thanatosian posted:

They're like a traditional water cooler, just plumbed into tapwater with a filter instead of using bottles. They usually dispense hot and cold water, with downward-facing spigots for filling glasses/mugs instead of upward-facing like a drinking fountain.

But other than the hot/cold option, I suppose the core concept is basically the same.

I think the reason people are confused is because you said:

Thanatosian posted:

So, I hear they make water coolers you don't need bottles for anymore

That is pretty much the definition of a drinking fountain.

I haven't seen one that dispenses hot water as well as cold. All the ones around here dispense ice with one button and cold filtered water with another. If you want hot tea or something, the commercial coffee makers typically have a spigot for hot water.

Ours are all maintained by a third party company that comes in and changes the filter and maintains the machines.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
You are right about the hang/locker loop, but the button is to keep your tie from showing.

Growing up you never wanted to be the kid with the loop on the back of your shirt. Other kids would constantly pull on them and yell 'fag tag' or even try to rip them off. Its been a long time since elementary school, and I still try to avoid buying shirts with the loops.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Tiggum posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a setup like this. Even at pubs they serve meals at the tables, not at the bar. And other than pubs, most restaurants don't have a bar.

This is a very common setup in the US. Even the crappiest of restaurants have bars with food service or diner type counter dining.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

JediTalentAgent posted:

I have a cell phone and a home phone, but I want to drop the home phone service to something else to avoid the nearly $30 a month I pay to make/receive 5-20 calls a month (with about 15 of those being telemarketers.)

But I have so many things still that have some connection to my home number, I don't want to give it up.

So, I'm considering, I guess, some sort of parking, call-forwarding or voicemail service to hold home number for a period of time until I can figure out what best to do.

Any suggestions on what the best good and low-cost options are along this route? Or directions to a thread that deals in this sort of thing?

Change those things with the connection to the home phone to a Google Voice number/your cell phone? Seems like it'd be worth the hour or two to change that stuff to just ditch the thing completely.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

JediTalentAgent posted:

I thought about that, but I still sort of like having the option of that old number being available to me if I restart landline service in the future, or eventually port it to a VOIP service or something.

There are ways to port a landline to something like GV if you are super sentimental about your number for whatever odd reason. You just have to convert it to a mobile number first. Lots of guides on how to do this out there.

Why even have a landline? I'm not willing to pay $30 a month to make 5 local phone calls per month or get bothered by telemarketers. I've heard they are good to have during a natural disaster or something, but I'm not going to pay $360 per year on the chance cell service might be down someday.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Not sure if this is just a California thing or not, but why do people there say THE 5 or THE 405? It seems like they always say "the" before any highway name. I was talking to a buddy out in LA last night, and asked him about it. He said he wasn't sure, but that is just how everyone says it.

Where I live, we just say 435, 35, 70, 470, etc. No "the" before any highway names.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Install Windows posted:

I read somewhere once that it comes from how people used to refer to roads before the route numbers as "The whatever freeway" or "the whatever expressway" and over time that would become "the 5 freeway" or "the 405 freeway" and that gradually ended up with dropping to just "the 5" and so on. But I lost the source on that.

I read that somewhere too when I was trying to use Google to find an answer. It didn't seem like the stuff I found on it was really definitive and was more like someone's opinion. It seemed to be the most popular answer though.

One strange thing I've noticed about people in the KC area, is they reverse the name of the highways (not interstates/expressways). Like Highway 50 is referred to as "50 highway". Highway 69 is "69 highway" and so on.

Sorta off of this topic, but still road related. I know a guy who gets annoyed when people talk about trips in time versus mileage. He is from a small town, so I guess he is just used to people describing a distance as a number of miles. In metro areas, I've always heard distances described in the amount of time it will take you to get there. So when someone asks me how far we are from X, I'll ask them when they are heading there, and then give them a time it will take to get there. I don't just say "Oh, that is about 10 miles from here."

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

CaptainViolence posted:

I grew up in Montana which is nothing but small towns, and my experience was having distance always described in terms of time to the point of confusion when someone would try to use miles, so it's not just a metro area thing.

Weird. Maybe it is just another one of those regional things. He is originally from some small town in Minnesota. Or maybe Montana is just unique because not many people live there and everything is very spread out so it is going to be many many miles to anywhere. Beautiful state though.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

dokmo posted:

Linguists discuss this topic on Language Log here: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2844

There doesn't seem to be a simple answer, but regionalism is definitely too simplistic. Where I live everybody says "the X" for some freeways and just "Y" for other freeways with no pattern.

Awesome, this looks like what I was looking for. Thanks!

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Alkanos posted:

Is UPS allowed to leave packages in your mailbox? I could have sworn that they weren't able to (at least a few years ago they weren't), but today when I opened the mailbox I had one sitting there. I'm not complaining, I actually prefer it that way for small packages. It's only that I was told before that they weren't allowed to do that.

They aren't allowed to deliver to the mailbox. Was the package send UPS SurePost? Because that uses UPS to get it close to your house, and then they turn the package over to USPS for final delivery.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

razz posted:

Whatever, I love leftovers. I think almost everything is better the next day (exceptions being some pastas and most fried foods but it doesn't stop me from eating it).

I agree. The flavors meld together better and create an even better dish than the night before. In the winter months we make a lot of slow cooker stews, soups, and chilis and they are always better on the second and third nights.

My lunch today: A leftover cheeseburger that I grilled last night and leftovers of a quick potato salad my wife made.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Thanatosian posted:

I was in high school in a relatively rural area of California in the late 90s, but there were about 2000 kids in my school and we were allowed to leave campus during lunch. And we all had the same lunch period.

Like much in America, it's probably something that varies regionally.

I went to a high school in the Midwest with ~1800 kids. At my high school, 9th graders had "closed lunch" which means they weren't supposed to leave campus during lunch (this wasn't really enforced). Everyone else had "open lunch" which meant you could do whatever. There were several awesome sandwich shops and taco shops that were super close to the school. Showing your school ID got you special deals and stuff.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Ularg posted:

I wouldn't even know how to correctly call and ask for the department honestly. I've only ever called them twice and both times I just told the robot "Connection issues" then lied when it asked me "Can you connect to AT&T's website?"

Just say "operator" anytime it asks you a question or try gethuman.com.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Tiggum posted:

The supermarket I go to has six self-checkouts and I have never once seen them all in use, so it doesn't matter how long you take, there is always going to be at least one free.

A new Walmart Neighborhood Market opened up near me, and they try to push everyone to self-check. They have 1 or 2 manned registers and the rest are self-checks with employees running groups of 4 or so registers. So out of their 10 check outs, 8 are self-check. I'm not a huge fan of the self-check unless I'm just getting a couple of items.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans
Edit: Nevermind

Sieg fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 6, 2013

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

KnifeWrench posted:

As a counterpoint, my wife hated her maiden name, changed it after we got married, and regrets the decision. She recommends against it to anyone on the fence because it's surprisingly un-straightforward for something so many people go through.

The way we figure it, it's easy if you have few/no assets, and/or a lot of time to deal with bureaucracy (e.g. No job), but the less you are like a "traditional housewife", the more of a hassle it can be.

What?

My wife and I had the opposite experience. I was surprised at how easy everything was to change. We had to wait a couple of weeks on the marriage certificate to come back and then we took that to the Social Security office and applied for her new card. Waited a couple of days for that to arrive, and everything after that went quickly.

She was a resident of a different state at the time we got married too, so we were dealing with that at the same time.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

nesbit37 posted:

I am putting together a workshop on text analysis and am going to use two posts on the same topic/story from two different blogs on the furthest ends of the political spectrum as possible from each other for the demonstration. I don't read political blogs, and am wondering if anyone has any recent posts or specific blogs on either spectrum they could recommend that I skim for this?

A quick Google turned this up:
http://www.rightwingnews.com/uncategorized/the-50-most-popular-liberal-websites/
http://www.rightwingnews.com/uncategorized/the-50-most-popular-conservative-websites/

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

hooah posted:

Is it possible for sunglasses to lose their polarization?

Depends on how much you paid for those sunglasses.

quote:

Most inexpensive polarized sunglasses have a thin film applied on one side of the lens. Many higher quality lenses have film laminated between two layers of lens material, preventing it from being scratched or rubbed off. In addition, the more dense the film is, the more polarization it provides.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-polarized-lenses.htm

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

hooah posted:

~$90 Oakleys?

Oakley uses single layer lenses, and say they polarize at the molecular level. I have no idea how that works. So no, it can't scratch off if they are genuine Oakleys.

I have a hard time believing $90 polarized Oakleys exist, unless you are getting them through Oakley SI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

hooah posted:

I bought them at a Marine Corps Exchange two or three years ago, so I don't remember if they were indeed polarized. I guess that's what I get, oh well.

If they are genuine Oakleys, they will say "Polarized" in the lower corner of the lens.

Are you still in the Marine Corp even as reserve?

If so, get some real polarized Oakleys cheap: https://www.oakleysi.com/Page.cfm?id=1