Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

MockingQuantum posted:

How does Exit Fate rank in comparison to a professionally produced RPG?

Exit Fate's claim to fame is that it's a shameless Suikoden knockoff, except unlike Suikoden there's no major permanently missable content. Some of the art assets are likely to seem awfully familiar to you, and for a game with so many characters the way the equipment system works sure does encourage sticking with a single party to a frustrating degree, but aside from that it's very playable and compares pretty well to a lot of commercial RPGs of the SNES/PS1 era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

I'm playing Etrian Odyssey 3 for the first time and trying to use a Buccaneer on the front line, and, well, let's just say I'm getting the message 'Gilder is dead.' a lot. My Monk and Hoplite can only do so much to keep him up, since he seems to take like half his HP from most anything.

Are Buccaneers just not really able to be on the frontline, even though it's an option? He seems way too flimsy, unless I'm missing one skill or another. Or is it because it's just him and my Hoplite in the front row?

Enemy AI in the early game is kind of generous to you in that it preferentially targets characters with higher current HP, so if you focus on keeping your Hoplite healed, that'll probably help keep your Buccaneer alive better than actually healing your Buccaneer would. Having said that, EO3's class balance is unfortunately kinda wonky and Buccaneers are among the underperforming classes (outside of a couple of specific late-game builds). You can use one and they'll mostly do okay, just don't expect miracles from them.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Ya it's fully playable but IIRC it's a pretty atrocious translation. Which is really not a big deal because nobody ever understands what the gently caress is going on in a Romancing Saga game anyway.

Just don't bother with the stupid war game, and I want to say the trading minigame is pretty bizarre too

You can get extra copies of otherwise unique or unavailable top-tier equipment from the war/kingdom minigame, but it's only fully available to one character anyway. The trading game was sorta fun but as far as I recall all you really get for it is some money.

Aside from Romancing Saga 3's translation patch being made by some dude who's proficient in neither Japanese nor English, the game itself is buggy and unfinished in places, explains itself poorly enough that it's not always easy to tell a bug from an obscure game mechanic, and has a kinda unbalanced and frustratingly random combat system (but, well, that's SaGa for you). It's definitely an interesting game despite all that, but don't expect polish.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

also speaking of gust why does ar tonelico have such good music?

Whatever other flaws they have, all Gust games tend to have good music, and they went all-out on the Ar Tonelico franchise since music is a major plot and gameplay element of those.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

nuru posted:

Can someone post a spoiler about the contentious part of Bravely Default?

I heard something like you just keep repeating the same dungeons?

Getting to the true ending requires that you redo four dungeons and their bosses, all of which you've already been through previously in the game, 4 times in a row. You can get through them pretty fast if you turn off random encounters, but it's still kinda tedious.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Zilkin posted:

How doomed am I if I don't want to spend time trying to roll the best possible, or at least really good, starting stat bonuses for my party? Also reading the clue book makes the class system seem more complicated than probably anything I've ever seen in a game.

Every time you class change in Wizardry 7 your stats reset to the minimum stat requirements for that class, and you're probably gonna want to class change most characters at least once, so starting stats don't matter that much in the long run.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Zereth posted:

EDIT: Didn't the retail release of PS2 come with maps of all the dungeons?

Yep! Although mine was an ex-rental copy and some previous player had misplaced the strategy guide, so I had to figure things out the hard way. I don't think I ever even managed to get past the second dungeon as a kid; I only finished the game when I revisited it years later.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

HGH posted:

Don't forget the Neptunia games are all coming soon to Steam for the low low price of staining your games library forever.
It's kinda amazing that of all JRPGs to be ported to PC, it was this and Valkyria Chronicles, and then they went on to sell stupidly well. Oh and there's a bunch of FF games I guess but they're still holding back on 13-3 for some reason.

Neptunia also has an Overwhelmingly Positive review score on Steam. Whatever else you can say about it, it's got a fanbase that knows what they want, and what they want are generic JRPGs starring anime girls who are video games

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Aigis also learns a bunch of useful buffs and support skills. Her lack of elemental damage and limited selection of multi-target attacks mean she can't deal with large groups of regular enemies as fast as some other characters, but she's pretty good to have around in long boss fights.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

68k posted:

Can anyone recommend a (preferably PC, turn-based) long RPG that doesn't punish you for making mistakes building your character? I.e. the ability to either respec or just learn everything so mistakes with stats are not irreversible. I've played all of the ES games. I've been into the Spiderweb games lately, but levels come slowly and you cannot redo any of your stat or skill points.

Since you're interested in Spiderweb's stuff, I figure you'd like to know that the Avadon games do have a respec feature. It normally gets unlocked about halfway through each game, but you can access it earlier via a cheat code: hit Shift-D on your keyboard and type retrain in the box that appears.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

Spell casts? Obtuse mechanics? Ridiculous anime portrits? I need Operation Abyss.

It's even got THAC0 and descending AC, that's how old school it is. The lower your Evade value, the higher your chance to evade attacks.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Delsaber posted:

PSCave is another which somehow still exists, but that one is at least notable for putting up a translation patch for the PS1 remake, should you feel like going through these games again from a somewhat different perspective. They were working on a translation for PS2's remake as well but I haven't checked its progress in a while.

The lead translator on the PS2 remake fan translation has some ongoing health issues that have slowed her down, but she posted a status update a couple of weeks ago and apparently work is still progressing on it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

closeted republican posted:

Going thorugh Phantasy Star 1 right now, and It's an interesting experience, but not in a bad way.

*The game is an equipment-focused game, where what makes or breaks you is your gear, not your actual levels. Levels only seem to be useful for boosting HP and learing new magic.

You do get some boosts to attack and defence with levels as well, but yeah, your equipment matters a lot. There isn't a strict progression where each town you run into sells better stuff than the last, either: if you manage to get a shitload of money early on somehow, you can buy the best purchasable piece of armour in the game before you even have your fourth party member.

quote:

*I kinda like how the game front-loads all of the grinding at the start of the game by making you grind for money instead of XP so you can get all of the awesome gear in the starting areas, then gives you Fishmen to grind on just past the starting area. It's annoying at first, but it makes going thorugh the game a bit more enjoyable than other games from the era, since you don't need to spend two or so hours grinding everytime you

I preferred the Were Bats in that forest you need the compass to enter for early-game grinding. They're slightly tougher than Fishmen but they drop much more cash, which as you've noticed is very useful to have.

quote:

*Odin is...weird. He seems like the brawn of the team, but he's actually weaker than Alis in attack and his defense is slightly lower than Alis'. He either plays second-fiddle to Alis or slowly chips off enemy HP with guns while Alis and Myeu tear through them (with Noah standing around, doing nothing except be a bad meat shield :v:).

I usually kept him equipped with a gun, since they hit all enemies for fixed damage: they can't miss and ignore both his attack power and the enemy's defence. They're good against both large groups and single high-defence enemies, both of which you'll see a lot of later in the game.

Alis is the unquestioned best defensive tank, though: she ends up with the highest HP and defence in the party by a significant margin. Once you've got all of her best equipment it's hard to get her killed without actively trying, which is handy since she's the one who knows the spell for escaping from battles if things go bad.

Noah... well, he's good at killing bosses since attack magic ignores defence just like guns do, except that this isn't the kind of game that has very many bosses in it. He learns some good healing and utility magic, though.

quote:

*It does a good job at telling you where to go for an 80s RPG, at least so far.

If you've already met Dr. Luveno, you're nearly at the point in the game where it opens up and you can just explore all three planets and do whatever you like in whatever order you like (barring a few places where you need one item in order to acquire another item). Have fun!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Does the Bye spell in Phantasy Star 1 always work, or are there some enemies you can never escape from using it? I read that the Wand casts Bye when you use it in battle, and I was thinking that using it would be a great way to conserve HP and MP when going for Lassic.

It always works as long as you have somewhere to retreat to. If you're in a dungeon with a door, stairs or a dead end directly behind you, I'm pretty sure it'll fail. So if you're attacked right after going through a door, you'll just have to fight.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is Untold 2 looking to be any less bad than 1 or is it more of the same of that? I actually thought it was out here already but I guess I got it confused with EO:MD.

Grimoires are supposedly easier to optimise now and all gameplay content except for the Fafnir Knight class is available in both Story and Classic mode, so that's two of people's main complaints about EO:U addressed, at least. It's still a remake, though, so if the idea of replaying EO2 with a fresh coat of paint and some switched-up mechanics doesn't appeal to you there's only so much it can do.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I never bothered with stealing because of what a pain in the rear end it is, even with fast forward and save states. Instead of spending time grinding for Star and Moon Dews, I can just grab Amy as my main healer and buy Trimates for any extra post-battle healing.

There are also some pieces of equipment in the dams (with extra copies available in dungeons later in the game) that act as an unlimited-use Dimate if used in battle. Specifically, the Crescegear, Amber Robe, Aegis and Truth Sleeves. If you use them to heal up to full before battles end you can stay in dungeons more or less indefinitely, although it does drag out the fights a little.

In general, if you find an equippable item that isn't sold in stores, there are better than even odds it casts some kind of technique if used as an item. As you've noticed, using actual techniques in random battles is kind of unviable because of how few TP you get relative to how many battles you fight, so even though the items mostly cast low-level techniques some of them can be pretty useful.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

What's sad is that the character designer has fun personalities for the characters in the unofficial character book she released many moons ago.

Ahaha thanks for posting this, I love it when people involved in a game's development make dorky fan-oriented stuff like this.

I feel like I was a little too harsh on PS3 back when I LPed it; it's kind of a poor sequel, what with being completely different from the previous two games in everything from setting to visual design (and in hindsight it especially suffers in comparison to PS4, which plays a lot better and was jam-packed with callbacks to the first two games), but on its own merits it's at least a playable RPG with some interesting ideas.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Terper posted:

Or slap a higher age rating on it and call it a day :v:

Considering they didn't let cousin marriages go untouched in Awakening, I can't imagine them letting this slide. At the very least they'll find some way to tone the incest angle way, way down.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Random encounters make sense in dungeon crawlers where not being able to stay in dangerous areas indefinitely is a key design feature and one of the questions you're supposed to be asking yourself as a player is "how much longer should I risk pushing ahead before turning back", but in most other RPGs since the mid-90s you're expected to clear out dungeons in one trip anyway so you may as well let players choose when they feel like fighting.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

On the subject, I don't recall who was playing it, but did anyone ever finish Operation Abyss and have any opinions on how it holds up through the game? Doesn't turn into a complete trainwreck towards the end or anything as many Wizardry clones do?

I wouldn't say a trainwreck; I enjoyed it and felt like I got my money's worth, but it does have some problems. There are one or two sections toward the end where the dungeon design is just stupidly antagonistic, like an area that combines darkness and spinners while disabling your automap, but those parts are short enough that they're mostly endurable.

Other people's complaints about class balance are pretty much on the money. Knight, Samurai, Physician, Wizard and Academic all have very useful and unique niches and while you can do without any of them, you'll definitely notice what you're missing out on... and then you've got Warrior, Archer, Assassin and Monk who are all single-target damage dealers that do their job in slightly different ways, and Conjurer, which is an interesting gimmicky caster class but ends up feeling like an underpowered jack-of-all-trades and isn't available until halfway through the game.

Also the game seems to expect you to grind way more than you'll actually need to for any meaningful story or gameplay content; I beat the final postgame boss with my party at level 30-31, and most classes don't get their strongest spells and abilities until levels 36-40. All there really is left to do once you're at that level is battle increasingly difficult refights of the postgame boss and grind for a couple of obnoxiously grindy achievements or for item drops to fill out your item encyclopedia. Still, as long as you don't bother going for the platinum trophy (seriously, don't, one of the trophies is for fighting 3000 battles and you'll probably fight less than half that number in a normal playthrough), the mechanics hold together pretty well throughout most of the game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I love it when these games actually make decent use of their map hazard mechanics and I think it's terrible when you end up with stuff like half of EO's floors where there's literally nothing interesting going on. So that doesn't sound like a negative at all to me. Except maybe the Darkness part.

Yeah, any two of those things alone would have been manageable but it's the combination of all three that's the problem, since there are a couple of rooms where you have literally no way to know or control what direction you're going and can only rely on blind luck to get you to the other side. Luckily that only happens in one small area of the game and once you've made your way through it you can use teleport spells to never have to do it again. Other than that one, I actually did find most of the dungeon puzzles to be pretty well-thought-out and fun.

quote:

As far as class balance goes, I'm pretty forgiving on that stuff as long as it doesn't boil down into being mechanically dull as hell. Like even if 4 out of the 6 classes of your team are basically set in stone, if they're mechanically unique from one another it doesn't really bother me. Stuff that bothers me is when you have something like, one classes (or two classes which are nearly identical) which completely dominate everything else in the game and they're all you use.

I'd say the only class that comes close to really feeling "overpowered" rather than just "having a very useful role" is the Samurai: with good equipment they can easily tear apart random encounters from the midgame onwards and have powerful if risky offensive options against bosses as well. You could reasonably put a second samurai in your front line instead of one of the other offensive melee classes and not feel like you were missing out on much. They still greatly appreciate the supporting abilities of Knights and casting classes, though, so you wouldn't just want to fill your party with 6 of them.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

YggiDee posted:

It's the 5 yen pin. Hang on those, they're used in a bunch of weird shop trades and can be annoying to get mid-late.

Also: nothing is missable forever in TWEWY so don't sweat it if you forgot to buy/find [thing].

While nothing is permanently missable, there is one thing that you can only ever get once. If you sell the Pig pin, there's no way to get another. It's not an amazing pin or anything, but if you want that 100% pin completion line on your character info screen you gotta hold on to it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Goddamnit, I forgot to get ChopChop in BoF2. :doh: It's not that bad to me, though; I consider it a sign that I like the game so much that I kept going through the story so I could see what happens next instead of having my eyes glued to a guide 24/7 so I can get everything the first time though and make thing super-easy.

Yeah, it's not that big a deal. It does fixed damage and not all that much of it, so it's mostly useful against a small handful of enemies with low HP and high defense, or as a replacement for Nina's normal attack when you want to conserve AP.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

HGH posted:

Oh man that reminds me. There is a secret at the end of the game that is downright impossible to figure out because it requires doing something while the screen is obscured. Someone remind me what it was, cause I think it was important.

Do you mean the accessory hidden behind the secret passage in the room where you fight Barubary? He gives what's supposed to be a hint about it if you choose to solo him, although in the original translation it didn't come across very clearly.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Levantine posted:

Yeah, I beat that motherfucker solo back on the SNES and I had no idea what his babble meant. I don't think I ever got the accessory. What does it do?

It makes you immune to instant death (which is pretty handy for the final boss) and causes you to regenerate 1 HP per step outside of battle. You need Katt and Sten in your party to get to it.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 22, 2015

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Libluini posted:

The one thing which always miffed me was not taking the bog-standard normal townbuilder locking you out from not only having a flying city, but also from the true ending.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure you can get the flying town and true ending no matter which architect you choose. As far as I know, the only steps you need to take for it are investigating the well in Township, sparing the old man in the fight with the three eyes, and speaking to Eichichi in that one town full of minotaur people.

The normal architect is probably still the best option optimisation-wise, though, since it gives you a way to make unlimited stat-up items and other high-end consumables.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 23, 2015

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I dont have that yet but I will eventually. When I say what I want to play next I am just talking about what I own right now, which is

:words:

Riviera's not too long. It's almost a kind of lightweight adventure game with JRPG battles rather than a full-blown JRPG: you can't backtrack to areas you've completed and your ability to grind is limited by what items you have available (the levelling system is weird), so the game sets its own pace for you to an extent. Don't try for 100% completion, it's not even possible in a single playthrough anyway (all Sting games are like this, Sting hates completionists).

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I finished Grandia 1 for the first time just last night! It was a fun game with a huge slump right around the end of the first disc that continued until you finally got to the meat of the second disc, which is like halfway in. The only thing I didn't like about the optional dungeons was that the enemies had optional dungeon difficulty, but didn't reward optional dungeon EXP.

That seems to be a thing in Game Arts games in general; enemies in optional challenge areas in the Lunar and Grandia games usually give really disappointing XP relative to their difficulty. I guess their design philosophy is that if you're taking on optional challenges because you want to be challenged, you might not want to leave yourself overlevelled for the rest of the game in the process.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

In BoF2, is there any need to grind the entire party before entering the final dungeon, or should I only grind the people I want to go through it with?

Just use the party you want to. There's not going to be some kind of FF6-style split party thing if that's what you're worried about.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Lost Dimension can also be really annoying if you're even a little bit of a completionist, since you can't max out your relationships with all characters (which is required for the true ending) in a single playthrough, and if one of the characters you didn't max out is randomly selected as the traitor early on in your second playthrough then welp, guess you're gonna have to do a third playthrough

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Nakar posted:

Is there some way to savescum that or something, or do they make it impossible to "reroll" the traitor?

It generally takes about 3-5 missions between when the traitor is determined and when you can figure out who the traitor is, so you could do that but it'd still be a pain. Also the game autosaves a lot so you'd have to back up your save from before it picks a traitor.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I remember a few months ago there were some people in this thread making interested noises about the upcoming fan translation for Phantasy Star Generation 2 (the PS2* remake of PS2**), so for anyone interested who's still following the thread, a public beta of the English translation patch just got released. I won't link directly to it because the site hosting the patch also hosts some :filez:, but it shouldn't be hard to find. The translation itself should be complete but it's probably still got a few bugs; whether you want to help the patching team find them or just don't want to wait for a final release, here you go.

*Playstation 2
**Phantasy Star 2

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

hubris.height posted:

is this the thread where i say, from a pure mechanical and gameplay perspective, dungeon travelers 2 is one of the most fun drpgs i've played

what are some other games like it (other than etrian and strange journey, which are obvious choices)

Given that you have a Vita and a high tolerance for anime boobs, Demon Gaze and Operation Abyss are both options, although they're both mechanically simpler than DT2. There's also the Wizardry games (particularly 6 through 8), although being older games they're pretty unforgiving, a little light on quality-of-life features and also if you're interested in the genre there's a good chance you've played them already. Can you be more specific about what features you liked in DT2?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

hubris.height posted:

haven't played the wizardry series at all actually. i've heard of demon gaze and operation abyss, but haven't seen or tried them yet.

i like the branching class paths, it feels like the system from sd3. you can kind of figure out how to make them work. and trying out a million different class combos and skill point distributions scratches an itch. dungeons are a lot like smt 2 dungeons, and i think most of what i like is that dungeon feel. encounters are engaging mostly for the same reason they are in strange journey, any of them can end you pretty quickly.

its like an anime titty witch took sd3, eo, and smt and stirred them all in a big pot. its really actually good.

Yeah, dungeon crawlers with deep ongoing character customisation are actually pretty thin on the ground: usually you pick a class/race combo for each character, maybe change class a few times later on in the game and that's the extent of your interaction with the character creation mechanics. If you've already played all of the EO series, Wizardry and the various Japanese Wizardry clones and spinoffs (Tale of the Forsaken Land, Elminage, probably some others that don't come to mind right now but not Class of Heroes because that series is kinda bad) might be your best bet.

Also, today I have learned both that there's a "dungeon crawler" tag on Steam and that it's kinda useless for finding actual dungeon crawlers.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Getsuya posted:

I really want to get in to first-person dungeon crawlers. The old ones. I've poked at them a few times but never really sat down to play through one since I was a kid playing through Eye of the Beholder (which I loved to death). Between the offerings at both GOG and Steam what would be the best ones to start out with? I'm looking at the old-timey ones, so not stuff like Legend of Grimrock (which I have played and really enjoyed as well).

One thing that's important though is that I don't have much time per session to play these. I would be sitting down for maybe 30 minutes to an hour per day. I'd like a game that would be rewarding even in small chunks like that.

I was thinking of picking up Elminage Gothic since it's only $3, or Wizardry 6+7 since they're going for $5 for the pair but even at the low prices I didn't want to pick up games I might never get around to playing, so I wanted to get some opinions about the genre first before rushing in. Currently I own Might and Magic 1-6 and Bard's Tale 1-3 (they were the only reason I bought the new Bard's Tale, since it comes with the original ones).

I'm obviously biased because I fuckin' love the series but Might and Magic 3 through 6 sound like a pretty solid choice for your circumstances, especially since you already own them: they're relatively accessible (it's pretty much impossible to seriously screw yourself over in terms of party composition as long as you don't purposely set out to make a weird gimmick party), and you can save your game at any time except in combat so you don't need to be able to play for extended sessions. Speaking of combat, it's usually fast-paced unless you're fighting something you're out of your depth against, and you don't have to deal with random encounters: once you clear an area out it mostly stays cleared out. Skip the first two games; I love them dearly but you can only save your game at the inns in towns and that's probably gonna be frustrating if you might only be able to play for a half-hour at a time.

Wizardry 6 and 7 are a looot more complex and unforgiving (even setting aside the character creation and combat system, you get to deal with fun features like trying to track down which NPC found a plot-important item before you did and walked off with it). Elminage Gothic is much closer mechanically to Wizardry than M&M but with some modern quality of life features so it's a lot less punishing overall, and for $3 it's a good place to start if you want to know if Wizardry-style gameplay appeals to you.

I wouldn't encourage you to start with the Bard's Tale series, as they're even more unforgiving than the later Wizardry games but with less depth.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Getsuya posted:

A big thanks to everyone who recommended the Might and Magic series to me for some good old-school first person dungeon crawling fun. I'm enjoying the heck out of 3, though I've only barely started. Is it cowardice to rely a lot on donations at the temple to see me through fights? Also is there a front/back row? Everyone seems to get hit just as often and as hard, which scares me because my Cleric had all of 4 HP at level 1 and now has 8 at level 2. Still, with liberal use of save/load I can pull through, and it feels frenetic without being frustrating. I also love the thrill of hunting down hidden doors to kick in and stuff. All in all a great experience, and if they get better from here I'm really excited to move my way through the series.

Temple donations are a good way to get through hard fights at low levels and there's no reason to feel bad about using them, although once you've gained a few levels your own buff spells will outmatch them. Look out for things like fountains and wells that give you temporary stat boosts too. M&M games generally give you a lot of ways to punch above your weight and expect you to use them as needed -- they're open-ended enough that it's not like there's really a difficulty curve to break in the first place.

Having characters with low HP totals can definitely be a pain early on. It's a good idea to give everyone in your party a decent amount of Endurance, especially your caster classes who have low base HP to begin with. It's not a disaster if you start out on the low side, though: there are lots of ways to permanently increase your stats, and when you increase your Endurance the HP you would have earned at previous levels is awarded retroactively.

As far as front and back rows are concerned, I suspect characters in the later positions in the party are a little less likely to be targeted by enemies: my casters seemed to be the last characters standing in a losing fight a bit more often than you'd expect given their low HP. But that's more a personal impression than anything I've done any kind of rigorous testing on. There's no position where you can be confident a character will be safe from attack, so don't neglect anyone's armour.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Screamers, in Might and Magic 3, can go right to Hell.

Right straight to Hell.

Handy tip: if you don't take damage from an attack, it can't inflict any ailments on you either. Screamers' attacks can only do a maximum of 8 damage, so a Power Shield spell cast by a character of level 5 or higher will block them completely. Cast it on as many of your characters as possible before fighting them: it doesn't stop them from being freaky as hell but it does mean they can't harm you.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Getsuya posted:

Quoting my own post to say I found the answer: got the Etherealize scroll and that does the trick. I just wish I didn't feel forced to look at a map to find out where the heck Wildabar is because somehow I've managed to find pretty much every town EXCEPT Wildabar.

The game came with an actual, physical map, so you don't need to feel bad about using it for reference. Wildabar's in the far south of the starting continent.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Getsuya posted:

I was dicking around outside of Swamp Town in MM3 and managed to TPK in Quicksand. Only as I died did I remember that it had been a while since I had actually saved last and there was really no reason to be dicking around so carelessly. Good-bye, Obsidian Flamberge that I happened to pick up after my last save. Probably not a good idea to play MM games when it's 11:30 at night and I'm half awake.

:rip:

As for your question about age, there is a way to reverse unnatural aging: once you have access to the pyramids, enter the one in area A2 and you can find a way to restore the Fountain of Youth on Piranha Isle in area B2. Once you've enabled it, you can use it as many times as you like. This can only help you if your character has aged unnaturally (age shown in grey on their character sheet): if their age is shown in green, that's their natural age and they can't go below it. The good news is that until about age 80, aging penalties aren't too severe relative to how high it's possible to pump your stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Getsuya posted:

2. Was Fate/Extra any good?

I'm gonna second Cake Attack's comment that it depends on whether you're an F/SN fan. The combat is basically rock-paper-scissors with enough twists added to keep it interesting for the first few dungeons, but there's not a huge amount of variety in the enemies you fight or the options available to you so it's not really enough to carry the game on its own. Storywise a big part of the appeal is seeing Nasuverse characters and concepts in a weird alternate-universe situation, so if you're not already a fan that aspect is probably gonna fall flat for you too. It's not unplayably bad or anything, it just doesn't have a lot to make it stand out to people who aren't into the franchise it's part of.

Since you speak Japanese, there's also Fate/Extra CCC, which is a kind of weird cross between a sequel and an enhanced remake that picks up from near the end of the original game and goes off in an alternate direction.