Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

No, Sovereign can speak modern languages just fine.

The plant thing has to clone an asari to talk to Shepard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

the character art is probably the worst aspect of the EO series

The gently caress is this, the art owns.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I remember there being a few posts about good places to start with atelier games, but who posted them, and they're apparently older than I thought. Anyone got a link to one of them handy?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

thank you!

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's the NIS one with the name that eludes me right now which is alright but easy and kinda has too much 'edge' to its story

Labyrinth of Refrain?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a bit of a difference between a contextless moment and "oh hey, here's the villain's identity in a 50+-hour game".

in what way is the entire backstory of the Xenogears villain less of a spoiler

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

big fan of the guy whose entire arc is going from "i want to gently caress my teacher" to "i guess you just cant have sex with your teacher"

extremely good in the same game where one of the other social links is a teacher going from "I want to gently caress this person I met in an MMO" to "Oh poo poo that's my student"

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
You can get through the main story of most disgaea games with smart play, but that's not most of the content in the game, and the postgame throws walls in your face that demand you just make your numbers bigger.

The plots are generally less serious than fire emblem: now we do war crimes.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Please be good.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Did they update the Cyber Sleuth translation for the Switch release because it seemed pretty solid to me.

I don't believe so. I don't know if the Hacker's Memory tl was also bad, but many of the Cyber Sleuth DigiLine conversations are basically incoherent.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Seconding Suikoden 1+2.

TO:LUCT if you're down for an SRPG.

Legend of Legaia

and Legend of Dragoon - hey stop laughing - is worth a look to check out the combat system.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Kild posted:

Has anyone played the Nocturne Remaster yet? It's coming out in English on May 25th and was wondering how it was compared to the original.

I haven't personally played it, but from what I've seen/heard of it, it launched with some pretty bad performance issues, which they improved but did not entirely make better than the PS2 version. They didn't unfuck the audio compression, and as far as I know, they didn't fix an issue where the incoming encounter tracker goes to red much later.

The big thing going for it over the PS2 is that it includes Raidou, who never came out outside of Japan, as well as featuringdantefromdevilmaycry, and added selectable skill inheritance.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

dmboogie posted:

to be fair there was a decently interesting explanation for that one where if you killed Leliana in origins, the version of her in inquisition is canonically a weird lyrium ghost doppleganger

of course that's a trick you get to pull exactly once and i wouldnt be shocked if there were more blatant retcons im not remembering lmao

I guess that makes two party members you can execute in Origins. I think history builder thing let you say "no, Alistair is dead for real" though.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

Maybe if you input your name wrong at the end? Never thought to try that. :v:

It just tells you that you hosed up, and makes you try again.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

hanales posted:

Hi all,

Wanted to pop in and say I’m very excited about eiyuden chronicles but it’s two years away. Anything semi recent that can scratch the itch? Assume I’ve played up to lost odyssey or so.

Exit Fate is an RPGMaker fangame that's made to be like Suikoden. It's not the best written thing ever but it's free so it's worth a shot. It's not exactly recent though.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Libluini posted:

I was talking about the same thing. I know it's possible, but it doesn't always work.

Of course now that I have to think about this some more, I suddenly remember that in this one instance I brought up as example, the bundle was also on Steam for some reason. So GOG accepting the key and Steam not is even weirder!

Adding a non-steam game doesn't involve any game keys, though?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Current count by FGO is 22.(King Arthur, Emperor Nero, Attila the Hun, Minamoto no Yoshitsune, Jing Ke, Francis Drake, Okita Souji, Oda Nobunaga, Mordred, Frankenstein's Monster, Shuten-douji, Tripitaka, Minamoto no Yorimitsu, Ibaraki-douji, Paul Bunyan, Katou Danzou, Gareth, Katsuhisa Hokusai, Uesugi Kenshin, Ibuki-doujo, Vritra and Xu Fu).

Hokusai is still a man, the woman is his daughter Oi operating under his name for reasons.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

From…Genshin? What assets? They’re almost completely different styles of games :psyduck:

Can't believe they stole genshin's ham.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

the english font choice is bad

I don't remember minding it so much back when I played WA2 on PSX for the first time, but uh, trying to play it a couple of years ago on the Vita was real rough.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Her animations are so good.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think what you need to know about Dungeon Encounters is that there are enemies which steal gold, and they can steal you into the negatives leaving you with a crippling amount of debt somehow

This game owns so hard.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Unlimited SaGa

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
i've only ever seen people say "you should give your characters winged rings and let them autobattle through it"

it's required for CODA though so it's not just completionist grind

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

When I think of Miss Fortune the next words are always "blouse taxed to contain her". That's a reference to some old lore that was terrible from the moment it was typed.

no it's funnier than that

quote:

Miss Fortune spills into the Great Hallway with the same tenacity that she spills into her silk blouse, both taxed to contain her.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Televisio Frankus posted:

I feel like the only person excited for an actual Dragon Quest Monsters game in the west. The last time we got one was Joker 2 on the DS.

Thank you for posting cause I hadn't heard about it and now I'm super excited.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Besides Etrian Odyssey remasters, are there other dungeon crawling rpgs for switch or PS5 that are worth playing?

The Mary Skelters are supposed to be OK. If memory serves the first game is built into MS2.

Saviors of Sapphire Wings/Stranger of Sword City: Revisited is another 2 in 1 worth a look. I didn't like them as much as EO

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Leraika posted:

Did Labyrinth of Touhou get a switch release or am I making that up

that was JP only.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Only if you really want to play the others and don't want to go backwards in control schemes. AC6 is a perfectly fine entry point.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
You do not need to know anything about Star Ocean 1 to play 2.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

Why did you have to restart? I'm unfamiliar with SO gameplay.

If memory serves, while most talents can be learned by using skills, Dexterity can't, and Dexterity is really important for pickpocketing, a thing which you wanted to do mostly when your party is split up and you only have your MC.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

How is the Shiren game on Steam?

Quite good if you're into roguelikes.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Switch performance seemed pretty much the same as PC to me, and I can't imagine trying to control it with M+K tbh.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Endorph posted:

like to be clear on, what this is since i think wires are getting crossed

1) it is an action rpg
2) it has a 20-30 hour long main game with a bunch of setpieces and stuff
3) once you clear the game you can get into a loop of clearing endgame bosses to get better gear to unlock harder versions of endgame bosses to get better gear, etc
4) it is not a live service game, its more just a post-game grind

the monhun comparison is in, the structure of that post-game grind, not the game as a whole

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The first time i started Kingsvein and tried to do character creation on a controller the game crashed, so I switched to M+K and didn't have any other problems.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Mr E posted:

I've been wanting to play Suikoden with Eiyuden coming out soon (tho I probably won't get to it for a while). Has there been any news about the remasters of the first two games or should I just play one of the PS2 ones again?

The last news is still "indefinitely delayed".

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Betty's a character from GFL, but the art is original to Codename Bakery. Same for Abigail.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok so I got to the end of The Proving Grounds in Eiyuden and I (spoiler I guess) went through the little hole with the tree guy and the gate lined up but the door didn't open. What did I do wrong?
Like this scene but the door didn't open.
https://youtu.be/0Ux_Nedxvw8?t=3033

Did you hit the switch on the other side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
No, she transforms and ALSO gets a phys up buff and speed up buff, which last for 3 turns.