Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So I'm starting Valkyrie Profile (The PSX version) for the first time. just got through the prologue and got my 3rd Einherjar member (some Lord in a black suit, died in place of his servant). Is there anything not obvious I should be made aware of? Any tricks to deal with the time limit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Thinking about trying out the Shadow Hearts series. Is From the New World a good starting point or should I just start at the beginning?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Man these games' OST's make me really want to play them but every time I try I get as far as the first doofus line from the bland protag before zoning out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

I'm sorry I insulted anime but I just wish they could stick with the fairly interesting character vignettes and not try to glue them all together with metaphysical weirdness.

Also, I was trying to be purposefully vague to not count as actual spoilers.

Endorph posted:

double stop posting

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The plot of the game was Neku trying to win the reaper game and Megami's plan to make Shibuya a wonderful world. The metaphysical stuff doesn't interact with the games plot or any character arc save for the mysterious Mr.H, who is fleshed out in postgame content because who he is really doesn't matter to the character driven story they're going for the backstory to the setting and Joshua. It's why all the poo poo about Vibe and Frequency and Angels are in post game hidden logs, they're extra bits about the setting that flesh it out and lay the groundwork for a possible sequel that will never happen, they don't take away from the stories the game is trying to tell.

Complaining that Neku doesn't know about that stuff in universe is really dumb since only two, maybe three, guys in the game would possibly care or know about the hard terms and metaphysical rules about everything.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

This would be fine if the game ended with defeating Megami but then it undercuts it with the reveal of the Composer's actual identity and everything that goes with it. Large sections of the plot and characterization that you thought you knew are up ended at the very end of the game to setup the secret reports and hidden cut scenes which do not have a good payoff. It has a very weird and unfortunate payoff. It strikes me as the writers trying to be too clever and pack in more shocking twists but it only serves to undo the work they've already done.

The game does end when you beat Megami though? The Joshua reveal is just a punctuation on the "Who the gently caress IS this smug dick?" plot line and a way to explain why Megami is doing what he's doing. The metaphysical stuff and the Angels never come into the plot even with the Josh reveal. The composer reveal is just there to explain the why and to test Neku's development one last time. None of that effects the story as it's being told

Cake Attack posted:

I never did the secret reports and it all holds together fine

The secret reports don't even change anything about any of the characters or plot points. All it does is give definitions for in universe stuff and go 'Mr. H and Joshua picked Neku for a reason." which is something you both already know and could obviously figure out from the story.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

The last game play action is activating the final fusion symbolizing his trust in his partners and mankind in general. The next cut scene explains that Joshua actually murdered Neku, has lied to him about everything, and is responsible for the entire Reaper's Game. But he grows as a person because of his experiences. I never liked the Saw movies either so maybe this is a personal thing I just don't like.

So wait, "The final action is literally the physical manifestation of absolute trust in your partners, but then he goes on to forgive his partner and trust him unconditionally." is your complaint? Joshua is only responsible for starting his game with Megumi, not Megumi's hosed up plans and rule breaking to keep the game going even though he lost/was losing. At worst the reveal is "Yeah I'm technically his boss but he did all this poo poo to beat me." and then Neku has to either fight Joshua or trust that his friendship with him has given Josh hope in the people of Shibuya.

And Joshua didn't start the Reaper's game, you kept going on about the secret reports so you should have picked up on the fact that it's something that's always been going on. Joshua's middle management at best and that's why he's in the tough position he's in of "I'd like to make changes but I'm not allowed/cannot without circumventing the rules."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

Valkyrie Profile was the game that carried Classic Enix to Valhalla.

Which is weird because SE just recently released the best Valkyrie Profile game ever.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I just started FC, too. poo poo gotta power through this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Amppelix posted:

I looked this up out of curiosity, and wow

You can see the character being sucked out. Also her separate pant legs got replaced by Standard Stockings.

Left Art: Someone's Tenchi-Muyo fan character
Right Art: Someone's Sword Art Online fan character.

They're both awful designs.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

If FF4 is one of your favorites you deserve TAY.

Erebus posted:

The big thing I remember is that FF8 is using the lovely old MIDI soundtrack from the original PC port, so you have to use a mod that replaces it with the original PSX music. The same used to be true of FF7 too, but enough people complained that Square patched that themselves.

Other than that I think they're fine except maybe not super polished. But there are plenty of mods to fiddle with things how you want them, like say if you thought Edea should make random sex noises all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb7MrmXpdxw

Coulda sworn they fixed 8's music too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Not really. Anybody who complained was an idiot as they were whining because the staff finally took a vacation and now the content production is going to be right back on track again.

The biggest complaints right now about FFXIV is how Paladin is garbage and how the hell Square broke the duty finder so bad a short while ago and never noticed it.

If you wanted to be cool and fun you wouldn't have chosen to be Paladin, the Default Male Soldier Shepard of Final Fantasy classes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I am insane and while I recognize that CT is a better game on a more objective level I like CC a lot more. The island setting and the weird reflective plot and the ideas behind it all really do it for me.

Plus the game's just loving weird. You find your best friend in another world and because you're dead he's become a lonely creepy cultist worshipping a dumb voodoo scarecrow so you bring him something to remind him of your friendship and the scarecrow comes to life to talk with him and console him. Said doll goes on to have an existential crisis and decide just cause he was made to be an instrument of hate doesn't mean he has to be a bad guy and decides to be a voodoo doll of love and changes his name to Mojoy.

poo poo's great.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 18, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

bloodychill posted:

That's definitely a "silent protagonst" problem because he actually did do a lot of important stuff and helping his best bud Lucca and a girl he fell in love with at a carnival would be a big enough reason for him to start getting invested initially. He ends up becoming King and stuff too before Cross makes it all go terribly wrong.

Anything bad that happens to a time traveler is entirely their own fault.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Did you like the SMT gameplay? Then yes get it. It's the same press turn system DDS and SMT 3 had (and persona 3+4 modified). It doesn't even have the greatest SMT sin, the awful loving lovely dungeon design that plagues the franchise, as seen in in Strange Journey.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

alcharagia posted:

the best rpg of all time

Still The World Ends with You, but KH3 has a hope of beating it if all this crazy story pays off even a little bit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

KH3 will conclude the first phase of Kingdom Hearts.

The end of the Xehanort Saga. What lies beyond the rain of X-NoHeart?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Getsuya posted:

Worst character art you say?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Old_American_artwork_for_FFIV

The strategy guides/Nintendo Powers that talk about FF2/4 all used this bizarre American artwork that is just magical. I love how Palom and Porom look like they should be singing 'Follow the Yellow Brick Road' in Wizard of Oz.

That Edward and Yang look cool as gently caress.

EDIT: YO THAT TELLAH.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Playing through TotA right now, just got the sixth party member and Tear and Luke both started out insufferable but now are starting to grow on me and that's cool. gently caress everything about that tiny child that's with the party.

Princess Archer is cool though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

no, they berate him for acting like a smug poo poo about stuff he has no idea about. instead of going 'hey, i don't get what's going on here, can someone tell me?' he just whines and complains until someone tells him just to get him quiet for five minutes.

And then Tear turns around and admits that they weren't taking his situation seriously and apologizes for being short with him.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I beat all the Xeno whatever games except Chronicles X and Xenoblade is the only one of them that doesn't poo poo the bed super hard in every major way.

Gears is both unfinished and stripped down to the bare minimum. Xenosaga reads like someone making a really unfunny satire of bad anime tropes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Forest Thief Pud posted:

Even without the Groundhog's Day bullshit, you'd still have Anges waffling between being a horrendous piece of poo poo and just being kind of there,

Agnes was cool and fun just like the rest of the party. Sorry you're wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I just got to where you unlock the watch your Wizard Girls bathe to level them up feature in Ar tonelico II.

So far the saving grace of this is that the protagonist is just as annoyed with this kind of poo poo as I am and is very vocal about it.

Does blonde pope lady have actual character arc or at least and option to eventually dump her for a third wizard?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 16, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

You get a third wizard but she looks like a barely-dressed 10 year old girl so...

Is that in addition to the one you start with or so they add ANOTHER annoying child?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I actually really liked that fight because it was the only part of the game that was hard

Every single fight so far has just been "poo poo out pity damage with the frontline guys while you wait for wizards to charge and one shot the whole encounter." Does it ever pick up difficulty?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Has there been a jRPG/Traditional RPG where main cast members die regularly or at least more than the usual 0-1 protagonists that die? I've been thinking about character death/permadeath as a game mechanic, mostly spurred on by how loving boring FE's handling of it is.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The Colonel posted:

having a jrpg where most of the cast ends up dead by the end would be kind of difficult to pull off without being really frustrating to the player, i imagine

e; ah, i guess people already posted examples while i was typing that

actually doesn't ultima v have a thing where if you get captured and you don't tell the main villain the location of one of the stones he's trying to destroy, one of your party members will be brutally killed?

Yeah and the longer you hold out the more of them get murdered right in front of you.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Permadeath sucks.

As it exists in most games yeah, because it's an entire game mechanic that exists entirely so the play avoids the mechanics as much as possible.

Like xcom and Darkest Dungeons at least does something besides slap your hands with it by having other characters interact and react with the deaths of their comrades, both negatively and positively. What if a dying character got big bonuses if they were doing well so they can go out in a blaze of glory ( I think that DS Valkyrie profile game did something like that) or have them drop a unique item that you want to keep with you or use? Hell, just have other characters actually say something about their dead friends and families.

But no, most games just have them die and they're basically unpersoned from the setting. No one even thinks about what they might have thought about what's going on.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nakar posted:

If you tell him anything, Blackthorn kills one of your party members anyway, because he's an rear end in a top hat. And yes, it's permanent. You can only avoid it by not getting captured.

On that note, Ultima VII Part 2 does feature almost every NPC in the entire world dying, and one party member does die permanently as part of the story. It's kinda toward the end though so it doesn't really do a whole lot, plus it's hard to feel like one death matters after 95% of all NPCs in the game are brutally murdered by your best friends.

It's also hard to feel bad when the protagonist just completely forgets about it at the start of 9 anyway.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nakar posted:

At that point the Avatar had basically condemned another world to its apocalypse and then stopped it only at the last second and then left, so God only knows what kind of chaos Pagan descended into.

I dunno, I kind of like the idea of the Avatar having to make had choices that could gently caress things up if he wanted to get home. really test their mettle.

Too bad Pagan was a nightmare of bugs and errors, the backstory and lore for the setting was actually pretty cool.

The poo poo in Ascension where it felt like a fake reboot where nothing from 7's expansion and pack onward happened was always the worst poo poo.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nakar posted:

In later games Arcane Artes have a different icon but I can't remember if that's true in Abyss or not.

Basically the moves that unlock later or that are combos of prior artes you have to use a certain number of times are Arcane Artes. They tend to cost more TP as well. You could also check a wiki.

They have a second square or circle around the sword/staff icon.

They're also just called arcane arts in the arts menu.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

DrPaper posted:

I don't care about BD2. I didn't like the first one, and from the 20 minutes I spent in 2 it didn't improve. [...] I kind of cared about the side quest changes, but at the end of the day I was playing the JP version so it didn't effect me.

Yeah all those sidequest changes you would have seen 20 minutes into a game that you don't like or care about.

corn in the bible posted:

Then shut the gently caress up please

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mill Village posted:

I really like FFXII's MMO style but I don't seem to enjoy actual MMORPGs very much.

Because most MMO's have more gameplay than FF12.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bland posted:

It says a lot about the current state of the Final Fantasy series that the best people can hope for the latest release is that it's massively, massively gay.

This is the worst post.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Man FF15 is actually the most hetero looking Final Fantasy since 2. Seriously, just a bunch of twinks in modern fashion taking a trip and being friends.

Nothing in that game will live up to the pure gay perfection of Kuja

So beautiful

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 27, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

There are no versions of FF3 worth playing that aren't named FF5. Seriously there's nothing 3 did that 5 didn't just improve on. The story, the characters, the combat, the jobs, it's all just straight up better.

There's no reason to play any version of FF3 because even if you wanted an 70 hour DS RPG with frustrating bosses and awful dungeon gimmicks Strange Journey exists and at least has that nice SMT shine to it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

What game is this?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I liked Xillia but have gotten stuck on some rear end in a top hat boss after I cured Minfillia of her...injury? Anime disease?

Being partially paralysed and losing function in your legs is the most anime disease.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

..."Minfillia"? :crossarms:

Ivar, Pray return to loving off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011