Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm still waiting on a competitor to sonos. Love the idea, just can't justify the price. Someone should just make a raspberry pi powered "host" box that just sits on your wifi as a sonos node (or open source equivilent) and allows whatever software to control it. Could even have a built in (modest) amp. Couldn't be that expensive, damnit!

Anyway, I have a product to recommend to a small subset of goons. If anyone heats their homes with wood or wood pellets, I bought this ash vaccuum. Most ash vacuums are 2-4x the price, but given the positive reviews on amazon I took a shot.

Compared to the small shop vac with a wet tshirt over the exhaust port to catch the fine dust I was using, it is well worth the $80-90. Zero dust comes out of the exhaust port and the filter on the thing is really sturdy. I've been using it about a month and I just emptied it for the first time, good capacity and the filter worked perfectly. Suction is not as good as a shop vac but it doesn't need to be for sucking up ash. Love this thing, wish I would have bought it a long time ago.

This is super reverent to my interests, thanks!

To keep up the wood theme, this Splitting Hatchet is pretty decent, but with the caveat that you are going to want to rehang it to get a longer handle.

The head is a very thich wedge and really busts wood apart with little effort. No idea what the steel is but it holds and edge well and doesn't need to really be sharp to work well.

This is the only flaw, the jackass eye for the haft:

It makes re hanging it a pain but the hatchet works so well it is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I need to buy a new vacuum cleaner. Our house is mostly hardwood floor and brick with a few rugs that end up covered in dog hair. I want something that will work on these surfaces. I am willing to spend $300-400 but want something that will work well and last a decent amount of time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Etrips posted:

This vacuum was the highest rated on consumer review sometime last year.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoover-WindTu...d=IUWP6TZPPG3UD

That is the exact one I have now, but it is like 3-4 years old.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Looking for a gas powered weed whacker for general whacking of weeds. Really just looking for brands to look into, I know nothing of lawn care stuff and all my friends seem to have electric ones.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Any thoughts on straight shaft vs curved shaft?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Timbuk2 is alright got what it is I guess but if you are serious about the bad and want to knock it around for years, have it work like brand new the whole time, and be COMFORTABLE, which you should, be prepared to spend more. There is a messenger bag thread in ylls and they can help you find exactly what you want if you tell them specifics. Personally I'd say if the Timbuk2 aesthetic is cool with you I'd go for Chrome or Mission Workshop.

I have had a Timbuk2 for like 13 years and it has held up to about 10 years of near daily carry. I did flirt with a Chrome bag for a while but I found the buckle uncomfortable and never really used it as it seems pointless. Recently I bought a Maxpadition bag and while I do like it, it is too small and the next one up in size is too big.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever used a passport renewal expediting service? I might have a pretty cool job opportunity at the end of the month but I need to get my passport "fixed". Years go when I first got it it was issued with my last name pretty misspelled. At the time I was just going into Canada for another job and there wasn't time to deal with it so I just hid my DL and used it. Actually flying somewhere makes me a bit afraid of trying this again.

I would also love a link if there is a thread/forum where maybe I could get some advice about this.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
If you really want to keep your bike safe and don't mind weight there is this stuff called "deck chain" that is used in theratical rigging. It has like a wll of like 12k pounds and will destroy most bolt cutters used on it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I've been looking into a method for carrying a water bottle on my belt without it bouncing around too much, mostly for hiking and walking around convention floors. A little Amazon searching brought me to this Camelbak Max Gear, which looks good, but I can't seem to find a shot of its rear (:heysexy:). Does it have vertical straps along the back through which I can loop a belt, or will I need to look into picking up some method of securing it? Also, are there other alternatives for my needs? The pouch is ideal but I don't want it to be too much of a pain to fiddle with.

Get a climbing chalk bag with two loops and use a carabiner to clip it to your belt. This also works perfect for beer bottles.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Millow posted:

Pen-chat: Uniball Vision and Vision Needles in 0.7 mm are my favourite and I've tried quite a few. They are perfect to me.

Beard-chat: I need a beard trimmer but I don't want to get crazy and spend like over $75. Anything stand out?

Penchat: Ultra fine point Sharpies are the best thing out there.

Beardchat: I have owned like a dozen beard and/or head-shavers over the years and honestly anything around that price range is going to be fine so long as you clean and oil it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Robawesome posted:

Have you considered learning to wetshave? I stopped getting razor burn entirely when I switched from Gilette Mach 5 Turbo Fusion PowerRR MaXX bullshit to a simple DE safety razor.

I have the exact opposite experience, I wetshaved for years and never found a blade/soap combo that worked as well as a Mach5 and Nivea Aftershave lotion used as shaving cream.

I still wetshave most days as I am cheap but if I dont have time to clot the Mach5 does a much better job.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Smiling Jack posted:

I don't know what the quality is like now, but I got a Timbuk2 around 1998 and I think it's going to survive the heat death of the universe. Amazingly robust.

Same here. I also just got a new, slightly bigger one like a week ago. It seems just as nice but obviously I have no idea how it will hold up.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Neurophonic posted:

I know the 'best bag' type question gets asked a lot but I'm not 100% sold on the traditional bag recommendations because I have a somewhat niche use case as somebody who runs a PA/staging/lighting company with a small number of multi-skilled staff; in short, my role entails everything from office work and admin to site electrician and sound or lighting engineer.

Hello fellow bag obsessed production dude.

My very recent bag search lead me to the Timbuk2 Aviator backpack. It is only mildly covered in straps and to me is the prefect compromise between utility, size, comfort, and looks. Shoot me a PM or email at username at gmail if you want some pictures, their site doesn't have great ones.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Neurophonic posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys, especially nice to hear from somebody else wrapped up in production madness. Sadly I'm in the UK which limits the options somewhat, it seems I'd have to import the Timbuk2 Aviator and if that's the case the slightly less shiny material and look of the Tom Bihn stuff may swing it, especially as the prices seem to be relatively comparable even with all the extras.

There is also the Swissgear option that literally 80-90% of production guys I work with use. I didn't get one as I can never find the exact model I wanted at a store and really like to fondle bags before I buy.

Those Tom Bihn bags look cool as gently caress though and I am going to get a few of their pouches as they are way cheaper then Maxpedition stuff. If you have money to spend look at Goruck bags. They are very low-key and people seem to love them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Can someone recommend me a good non-propane shop heater? I have a shop that is roughly the size of a 2-car garage and though it is well insulated it is still pretty cold right now.

Do you specifically want no-propane or no-combustion?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Hyperlite Mountain Gear makes some cuben fiber packs. Very simple, but totally waterproof and super lightweight. Not the cheapest though.

Yeah but the smell of roast pork really increases the chance of bear attack.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Baldbeard posted:

The top and bottom have regular style buzzers. If you get some of that soft skin to fold into the buzzer, you will be in a world of hurt.

Oh lord that is a bad idea. Do they not come with guards?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I am about to make the mother of all amazon orders and have a few more things I want to add:

1)Looking for a better shower head, we have pretty low pressure and I would like one that makes it better but dont need some crazy million setting thing.

2)I want a magic jacket that is warmer and nicer looking than a Carheart hoody but is pretty much identical in form and fit. I have been looking at Kuhl Thor Hoody but it seems to lack a inner pocker which is nuts. I am too damm old to wear my ratty old hoody everywhere but I cant find a jacket that I like enough to replace it with.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Ok, I will buy that showerhead!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

This is my living room/kitchen floor. It is a huge huge pain to vacume, right now we use a shop vac but it is super slow and annoying. There is a wood stove in there so there is occasional small woodchips and the like I would like a vacume to handle. Most of the mess is dog hair and random kitchen crumbs and the like.

Money is more or less no object but I distrust anything without someone to vouch for using it on a floor this rough.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Totally TWISTED posted:

ProTeam Super QuarterVac

I have owned and used this vacuum for 7(?) years now and it has shown no sign of slowing down. Haven't used it on your exact floor type but it has some hefty suck power behind it. As a bonus you can pretend to be a Ghostbuster while using it.

edit:
With having big dogs that shed a lot I will also re-use the disposable bags a few times since the majority of what fills them up for me is dog hair.

If I am going to drop $500 on a vacuum then it better have some chrome and flashing lights or some poo poo. That brand does seem to have a great rep, so I will look into it. However, it, like the shop vac, seems to be a huge pain to store unless you have a closet big enough to hold it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
My main issue is how uneven the brick is. There is no way the suck head (the technical term for it I believe) can get a good seal so most of the ones we have tried only really pick up like 2-3" per pass and that takes for loving ever. Most vacs for non-carpeted floors seem to emphasize how non-scratch and gentle they are. I just want maximum sucking and non-tipping ability. I also don't really need or want some insane HEPA filter thing and they tend to clog way too often.

The more I rant about this the more I think a high end shop vac is the answer unless someone else here has an uneven rear end brick floor, a huge dog, and a woodstove.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Man I feel so loving old chatting about loving vacuums on the internet. But I can now top this feeling by going to the loving old lady sewing and vacuum store near my house and check out one of those Miele ones.

brb, off to knit a slip cover for my toaster.

But really, thanks everyone. My gf has been out of town for like 4 months and is returning soon, thus my obsessive interest in cleaning without working too hard

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Folderol posted:

Are you using a cartridge razor by any chance? Because they tend to have that effect. You can get a pretty close shave with a double edged safety razor, minus the ingrowns, and DE blades are way way cheaper than cartridges (like 100 blades for $20 cheap).

I have tried safety razors on and off for years and have never gotten better results then with a Gillette Fusion/Mach 5/whatever they call it these days. For shaving cream I just use this stuff:

I was out of shaving cream one day, tried it, and found that it allowed for a very close shave with no ingrown hairs or irritation. I think that most of the wet shaving hype is just that, a mistaken idea that "old=better". I do agree from a ritual standpoint wet shaving is better but for just practical "get this hair off my face" I think decent cartridge razors are better if you find a good lotion/aftershave to use.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Robawesome posted:

How does it feel to have such wrong opinions? DE shaving is better if not only for the fact that you're paying maybe 1/100th the cost of Gilette's bullshit Mach 10 PROGLIDE razors for DE blades. If you're saying the lotion makes all the difference, why wouldn't that same lotion also help ingrown hairs/razor burn when DE shaving? I use literally the exact same lotion with a Merkur DE handle and Feather blades and every shave is perfect, at a tiny fraction of the cost of Gilettes proprietary bullshit

edit holy poo poo you shaved with post-shave balm as your soap and that's why MACH 10 shaving is better? Yes, everybody, forget shaving with cheap DE blades, apply post-shave balm to your face before shaving and start scratching that poo poo up with five cheap blades at a time

Were you even using a brush to lather the soap?

Yep, fancy badger brush, all that. I know it is shocking that a new thing might be better than an old thing but that is often how progress works. The cost issue is kinda silly, a cartridge is like $3-4 if you buy in bulk online and one lasts like 2 weeks. Sure DE blades are cheaper but it is such a trivial cost it isn't worth fussing over. In that is really a driving factor, why not go to a straight razor, then you only have to lay out money once or twice in your life?

Duck and Cover posted:

This stuff works but smells terrible and the smell lingers.

I wouldn't go that far but it does have a strong small, but thats I why I don't use it as a post shave thing, I just shave with it and rinse it off.

bongwizzard has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Feb 10, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Droid Washington posted:

This stuff is a goon favorite and it formulated without alcohol, dye, or fragrance. I use this stuff sometimes as a light lotion even and I highly recommend it.

Is that not exactly what I posted?

Also ball shaving with a DE is nuts. Pun intended.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Folderol posted:

There's good reason, then, that DEs and brushes are so popular: they're harder to use well, but ultimately cheaper and way more comfortable.

I don't think any of this is true. If they are so much better, why did they loose market share to cartridge razors? The cost isn't an issue unless you are direly poor and then cheap Bics are a ton cheaper then a DE setup. The obsession over shaving is so silly, it's like getting really into wiping your rear end or clipping your toenails.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Folderol posted:

Well, gosh, if you don't think it it must not be true! Making improvements for comfort and to save a few bucks must be just like obsessing over your rear end in a top hat!

Yeah, obsessing over an obsolete piece of tech and framing it as anything other then nostalgia is pretty reasonable.

Can anyone recommend a good slide-rule or mimeograph machine?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Folderol posted:

- The razors are cheaper
- They do not cut the hair beneath the skin, which helps with ingrowns
- It's easier to use hot lather

- The difference is trivial unless you are super poor.
- I disagree that this is true and contend it takes longer with a DE to get a smooth shave without nicking
- Who cares? A decent lotion or moisturizer works just fine. If you really care wet your face with hot water before applying.

This is wildly dumb.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Does anyone know what the gently caress you call half popped corn kernel snacks? I used to buy them in bulk from my local hippie store but they stopped having them and the big mainstream wholefoods type place also recently either doesn't have them or charges outrageous amounts for them.

This?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Folderol posted:

At last we agree!

I'll PM you a link to my etsy page where I am selling some really nice sharpened oyster-shells. They are cheap and green!

;)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

m.hache posted:

The reviews are either "Glorious Contonelle is the savior of my butthole!" or "Cast these into the fiery depths of hell, my anus is bleeding".

Human condition summed up itt.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The.Big.Dirty.Emu posted:

Can anyone recommend a high quality security pass reel, something like

Sadly even the small one is kinda big but they are very rugged, at-least the medium one I used to have was.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

martinlutherbling posted:

I live in Vermont, and up here the months between February and June are filled with ice, slush, rain, puddles, mud, and frequently more than one of those at a time. I'm looking for a pair of decent looking, relatively light, waterproof boots/shoes that'll get me through it. I don't want anything too big and clunky, and my budget tops out at $80 or so. Do they exist? I like the North Face Back to Berkeley boots but they're a bit pricier than I'd like.

If you do decide to up your budget I just bought a pair of NorthFace waterproof shoes and could not be happier with them. They are shockingly cool for waterproof shoes and very comfy. I used to buy Keen shoes but they are like wrapping your feel in plastic wrap compared to these NF shoes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Sharpening on a wheel or belt is fine, provided you know what the gently caress you are doing. Determining this before some fool ruins your knives is the hard part.

Hand sharpening is rewarding but can be frustrating as hell until it clicks for you. Both TFR and GWS both have knife threads that can get you started on what to buy/ask for. The best advice is to buy a cheap knife or knives to practice on and to invest in a strop to use after the stone.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Well sure, if you own a super fine waterstone then yea, stroping isn't going to do a ton, but if you are using a basic "fine" oil stone as most people start out on, a $15 strop will make a ton of difference. I would not recommend waterstones for a beginner any way, a decent Norton Course/Fine, a bottle of mineral oil, and a strop will be about as much or less then a single decent waterstone.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

Need new wipers for my car which is a fairly foreign purchase to me. Is there even a recommended brand/type of blades?
2009 Accord if this matters at all (already looked it up and I believe I need a 26"/19" set)

I usually just buy whatever is middle of the road in price and have never noticed much difference. You should stick your used blades in the new one's packaging and stash them in your trunk. If something happens to the set on the car during a storm you will be super super glad to have a replacement at hand.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Carrheart pants are pretty great but I think Dickies pass as dress pants better. Both are cheap enough to try out though.

And yea, having a prepaid card is great if you travel a lot for work, so many times have I had hundreds or thousands of dollars of charges stuck on my in incidentals card because some clerk hit the wrong button or whatever. I used to just carry an old card that I canceled to put down for incidentals but lately hotels seem to run them to check if they are active.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Around $150-200

Harman/Cardon Soundsticks are about that much and are excellent, if funny looking. I bought a set about 10 years ago and they are just now starting to sound off. I bought a second set last year to use in my kitchen/living room.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am a bit of a backpack fetishist and trying to find a quality roll top with Molle/PALs for under $80 is going to be pretty hard. If you just want a quality bag and can budge on either the roll top or webbing, I would look around for used stuff. I buy and sell a bag or two a year and I know there are other bag nuts out there who do the same. TFR has an offsite classifieds where you might have some luck posting a WTB add. If you post in the newbie thread someone can add you to the group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I would like to tag on to this AC chat. I am looking to buy a 220v unit for the house we are renting. The unit has to go in a really unoptimal spot so I would love a unit with a remote thermostat or one with a easy to use programable timer.

• Locked thread