Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Dragon quest swords is more fun than a rail shooter should be.

I don't know. I wanted to like DQ:Swords, but after a while my wrist just basically told me to gently caress off or it was going to snap in half. Admittedly I probably would have done better if I played through only one stage and then took a break or something but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LooseChanj posted:

So what console am I gonna have to buy to play 10?

At last word, the Wii.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcaeris posted:

Ugh, I wish I'd bought DQ6 in Japanese like a year ago. I know Barbara was a more common name in 1995 or whatever, and it's not now, but Ashlynn? Are you serious? What kind of a name is Ashlynn?

I could never make anything of Mireiyu (or her outfit), but I guess weird humorous accents and weird English names don't really do it for me.

Ashlynn is an actual name. Like, people have it in the real world. I know someone named Ashlynn.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terpfen posted:

The International FF games are generally just the alterations made for the US/EU releases repackaged and re-released in Japan. Not sure why you'd want to buy the same game twice, because that's basically what you're asking for here.

This isn't true at all actually. The International versions always contain new content not found in the US version. It's particularly egregious for something like Kingdom Hearts where the sequel games make frequent callbacks to things that only happened in the International (or in this case, Final Mix) versions of the game.

The most dramatic are probably KH2 and FFX-2, both of which got an insane boatload of new content. In fact, the PS2 vesion of Chain of Memories that they sold as a stand-alone game in the US was just a part of Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

You know all of those are RPGs you don't need terrific controls for, right?

For me it isn't a case of needing good controls. It is that it actively feels bad to control. Virtual joysticks are a giant pain in the rear end to use for any long period of time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

It's kinda bullshit that even after a lot of people bought Bravely Default, they might be doing a specific test for Dragon Quest's audience. 7 even also has a job system.

Dragon Quest has never had the audience of Final Fantasy here and even without the specific name Bravely Default was effectively catering to that audience. "It has a Job System" matters less than "It hits the Final Fantasy nostalgia."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I like DQ7 but "it's 100 hours long" isn't the same as "those 100 hours are all fun." There's a lot of boring content in DQ7 that could have been streamlined or made more enjoyable or just shortened and it's really easy to see how people didn't have the patience for it. DQ9 is a lot more in that direction and while it is ~30 hours of gameplay, it's a lot better paced 30 hours of gameplay.

DQ8 is my favorite of the recent games mind you, but even then I think it could have been paced better and there were times it wore its welcome thin.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

I'm going to have to play through 9 again sometime soon, what I remember is being satisfied but not particularly impressed after playing it the first time. I recall it just doesn't quite feel like a proper Dragon Quest game for some reason. I was happy enough with the interface changes and the visible monsters on the overworld and so on, but the end result was just slightly disappointing in some vague way.

It's unarguably a weird-feeling game. The way party members are handled shouldn't feel weird but does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Isn't Bianca's plot super loving depressing if you don't marry her? That's mostly what I recall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

How the gently caress does Tecmo-Koei get its hands on all these prestigious franchises? I mean, I get why they're able to get anime/manga IPs but you'd think other publishers/developers would be a little more discriminating.

The Dynasty Warriors games are, by and large, actually fairly good games. They put time and effort into trying to make them distinctive and interesting within the confines the basic 'beat up a lot of poo poo' concept. They're not always successful but the games for the most part sell and are generally well liked.

There's not really anything to be discriminating about. If you're looking for someone to make a fairly light beat 'em up spinoff of your franchise, Omega Force will probably do a significantly better job than most other companies you could get while also having a built-in audience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

People always make mention of how massive VII's script is. How much more expensive could it be, compared to Bravely Default, which even had Voice Actors, an expense most Dragon Quest games don't have to worry about.

Nintendo published Bravely Default.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SereneCrimson posted:

PS4's are region locked right? If they were region free I would probably, actually, purchase this one.

Nope, they're not region locked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'd say 2. It has aged pretty bad and is not really that charming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

DQM Joker sold over 200k in North America, though.

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/3145/dragon-quest-monsters-joker/

That seems like a profitable margin for a DQ game - one that isn't even a main title at that.

VGchartz literally makes their numbers up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JustJeff88 posted:

The recent turn of this thread just makes me sad. I love how everyone and their dipshit brother buys two copies of Call of Duty 16: Let's kill more dirty foreigners, but heaven for-loving-bid anyone support deep, well-made RPG's that don't cost $60+ on release day and have a playtime longer than the natural lifespan of a suicidal mayfly.

I'm triply glad for Himuro's generosity, because I've given up on seeing DQ7 localised on the 3DS. I hope I'm wrong and, if so, day 1 purchase, but I'm not waiting for it.

Call of Duty has multiplayer. It might not be to your taste (it isn't to mine) but it is the reason people play it so much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

One of the Goof Off jokes in DQ7 is "Cannibox do the Hustle? No, it doesn't have Defeat for it" and that is the pinnacle of Dragon Quest-related humor.

That is truly the best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

"Fujimoto added that for Dragon Quest VII, the translation process itself would take at least a year to complete. But easing the workload isn’t a simple matter of distributing it among as many translators as possible."

This is so dumb. The original's translation on PS1 was certainly good enough. The dialogue is one of the main reasons why it was one of my favorite PS1 RPGs. Other than DQ5, I enjoyed DQ7's story the most in the series.

Sticking with a PS1-era translation is generally a bad idea even if the DS version added literally no content or script changes at all. In addition to that the 3Ds game does make changes which do require a retranslation, not in the least because you can't be sure of the full extent of those changes until you've actually gone over the script. They can't just stick the PS1 script in the game and call it a day. Even if you could, the new content or changed content would need to be translated which would lead to either a really awkward mishmash of translation styles and tones or a weird attempt to try to make a modern translator translate like a PS1-era translator which is dumb and pointless.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 24, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

Instead of getting items by happening across Moogles on FMS, you come across Barrel Triggers.

.. gently caress, I want Theatarhythm: Atelier now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is the most genius marketing stunt ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Absolutely bought day 1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Himuro posted:

Honestly, if you're going to rent DQH or whatever or you just have a slight passing interest in it, I suggest holding off on getting DQH and waiting for DQH2. Musou is a series that is mostly iterative. So the first game in a Musou usually has limited characters, and isn't that great. There are exceptions to this rule such as Samurai Warriors 1 which remains one of the best in its series due to its incredible balance and darker tone. But generally, in Musou, the first game creates the idea of the game, and the second and third expands upon it by adding more characters, mechanics, and awesome. A good example of this is One Piece Pirate Warriors. The first one was pretty eh. But the second one nailed it and it was awesome as poo poo. So if you're interested in DQH but not enough that you're interested in paying full price, hold off and wait for DQH2.

This is pretty untrue. Direct sequels, especially to the anime-based games, are a mixed bag. They have more content but often make design decisions that make the games worse. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 was a grindy mess, FotNS was lol, and even in Dynasty Warriors games they can have one step forward/two step back things like the poo poo-rear end Renbu system.

Meanwhile Hyrule Warriors was fuckin' great, one of the best, despite being the first attempt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Adam Bowen posted:

A DQ game is actually being released in the west. Don't skip it. I'll be surprised if DQH2 makes it over here as well.

I think it's a safe bet honestly.

Musou games are easy (and often low-budget) translations that sell to a dedicated market of "musou fans" and people who like whatever the thing is based off of. If we can get all four Dynasty Warriors Gundam games we'll get both Dragon Warriors games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

I dunno, they tore down that Chrono Trigger remake just for funsies. Unless you count a DS port of Chrono Trigger to be competition to that fan project. I know I didn't.

No they didn't. The Chrono Trigger remake project was a 'remake' of ten scenes in the game which was being used as a self-promotion tool. It is exactly the sort of thing you actually do C&D.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

flyboi posted:

The DQ7 translation was most likely C&D because they took the entire script from the PSX and injected it into the 3DS rom. Even if they released a patch they're infringing copyrights to the original translators and is a legal poo poo show.

As much as I want it I highly doubt Square will be bringing DQ7 over however it would be really cool if tools were released to blanket-patch the game if you had the rom and isos from the original.

Less law breaking and likely less to get a C&D so long as you keep your mouth shut until the patch is released.

Haha. That also would have been a poo poo translation because DQ7 isn't a straight port. If that is what they were trying to do it would have been a poo poo show regardless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

flyboi posted:

According to the translation team aside from the new elements added the entire script was unchanged from PSX

Nah, it has changes. They streamlined and smoothed stuff out to try to make it easier for people to get into quickly. The opening is a lot shorter now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Freemium is literally the worst thing to happen to RPGs. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crimson Harvest posted:

Why not, instead, look at the huge popularity of other similar games.

... because by and large JRPG sales numbers have tanked? I mean the very best most popular JRPGs are extremely fortunate to break a million copies sold worldwide.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harlock posted:

Basing sales on a spin-off game that's nothing like the original franchise is a good way to gauge people's interest

It actually has proven to be a success recently actually.

Licensed tie-ins show an interest in the IP which is actually fairly significant. People are more likely to buy something based off an IP they like than based off gameplay in a vacuum. It is one of the reasons the Dynasty Warriors games have done well and why we're getting the anime spinoffs.

Namco=Bandai is actually doing that a lot lately to reasonable success. It's the reason stuff like Project X-Zone and J-Stars Victory Versus is getting released. Targeting fans of an IP has shown that people are willing to buy something because it has an IP they like more than "it has good gameplay"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

At this point Dragon Quest fans would probably buy anything if it helped them get the other games. It's still kind of a lovely thing to do when they most likely knew the remake of 8, a proven success already, was coming when they made that statement. Why not do a test with that?

Here is a post from an alternate universe.

"Why didn't they push Dragon Quest Heroes instead? It's a new game on actual consoles and it would show there is interest in the franchise and maybe even attract new fans.. Instead they just ignored it and are pushing everything on their low-quality handheld port of Dragon Quest 8 instead. I bet they'll blame fans when it doesn't sell that well."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

This is kind of BLOWING MY MIND.

That owns so hard.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that Alena having voice acting that isn't just Russian but Zangief Russian is goddamn amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dragon Quest Heroes is a weird as hell Musou game. It's more like they said "okay, what if we take Dragon Quest and make it an action-RPG" than "What if Dragon Quest was Musou" in some ways.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I really Iike it, but it is very much unlike a musou game; more an action RPG with musou elements.

Yeah, it has some similar linage. Nightmaws and defense objects are obviously supposed to replace bases but they feel different enough it doesn't feel like a 1 for 1 port and the general way the game is designed is way different. Mooks actually being significant instead of interchangable is a nice touch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

Can you ever use the other MC if you don't choose them?

You can but there are some caveats there.

(PIck the female MC, she is way way better.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What makes her better.

From a mechanical perspective: She has ice moves which are somewhat more common than fire moves but have the ability to freeze enemies which I find a lot more useful.

From a character perspective: She fuckin' love to go balls out and fight at full force while the male character's entire joke is that he is slow-paced and boring and tries to make strategies that boil down to "go in and kick their asses."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My favorite character is Bianca who is absolutely cartoonishly powerful at clearing waves while also being effectively at single target damage. Her charge bow attacks are comically good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrManiac posted:

So if I never played a dynasty warriors but love dragon quest how is heroes?

It's pretty good. It's honestly just 'what if Dragon Quest was an action-RPG" more than anything. It has some annoying elements but they are largely the game trying to stick to nostalgia for Dragon Quest where it probably shouldn't. Which is a pretty common franchise problem. (The menu and inventory interface is way more fuckin' archaic that it should be or is in other Warriors games largely because of that.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I do have one question to anyone else that got an early copy; is silver bars/nuggets used in anything, or can I sell them?

EDIT: thirding that it is real good.

As near as I found silver/gold stuff is just for selling.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I actually really like the original characters. The BIG CHEERFUL KING who loves to fight is awesome and feels helluva like a Dragon Quest character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The audio coming out of the controller thing is really weird.

I turned my PS4 speaker off ages ago so I never noticed!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I legit had to google to be sure he wasn't a character I forgot who just somehow went on to become king. They did good making all the new things fit into the DQ style well. No brooding bullshit, no angst, just a big dumb tactics nerd and his friend who wants to fight poo poo serving their jolly king who fights with magic portals and hammers because why not.

Yeah, they fit pretty much perfectly. it's an interesting comparison to Hyrule Warriors where the original characters are distinctly more Tecmo-Koei. Here they're pretty much slotted right in without breaking a beat.