Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Slaapaav posted:

just punch things. unless you are able to punch really hard and with lovely form at the same time you probably wont break your hands if you hit something softish like a bag

I'm new to the thread so I don't know if this guy is a troll but this is absolutely bad advice and you should never do that. There are other hand injuries possible than broken metacarpals.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

She's 5'7" so I think I'll get 16oz boxing gloves and some focus mitts to start out and if she likes it and gets into it maybe I'll get a heavy bag later on. Don't have a whole lot of free time to take classes at the moment. Is there a quick instructional video type thing she can watch? She just wants to get out there and start getting some exercise and hitting things as soon as possible.

12, 14, or 16 oz boxing or Muai Thai gloves are all good choices for training. Get something with a nice velcro wrist strap, leather, and decent stitching. The regular Everlast or Hayabusa stuff which you'll find in most sporting goods stores are all decent beginner choices, though a bit pricy. Amazon is a good place to look:

http://www.amazon.com/Fairtex-Muay-...s=boxing+gloves

http://www.amazon.com/Ringside-Boxi...s=boxing+gloves

This one actually looks like a good deal, if you're in the states at least:
http://www.amazon.com/Ringside-Shoc...s=boxing+gloves

What I did when I got into boxing was bought a $60 pair of 14 oz gloves from the internet. My theory was that if they were crap and I trained enough to break them, I'd buy good gloves. They lasted me 10 months before I started getting hand pain from hitting the bag with them on, and so I bought some nice Title ones after that.

The women's gloves are just a colour thing, and it's lame. Also get elastic wraps. Pink "lady" wraps are the poo poo because they're easy to find in a gym bag when all of your other gear is black/red/blue.

e: also use separate gloves for sparring and bag work. Punching bags are gross, and they wear gloves out relatively fast, removing their protective aspects. My friend recently got ringworm from sparring with someone who did that, even though it was light sparring.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ManOfTheYear posted:

Are there really any workouts that improve your judo/grappling stamina? Over the years I've lifted weights, done calisthenics, swinged kettlebells and ran and done all kinds of combinations of those but I really think the only thing that will give me better judo conditioning is randori. Do I just suck or am I right?

The transferability of one kind of cardio to another is largely muscle confusion and mental. You're right, that randori will probably be the best if you do lots of other cardio already. It's entirely possible for someone to have really good cardio and be hosed when they try a new activity, especially a high-stress high-impact one like sparring. It's your own tension that's wearing you out, perhaps combined with adrenaline dumps if you're really new. The more you relax and become comfortable in that activity, the more your cardio will transfer into randori.

The best activity for cardio, in terms of performance return for time invested, is sprints of any kind - road, bike, pool, whatever. Please do not use weights for cardio unless you enjoy having injuries.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rabhadh posted:

how do you even let that happen

By leading with a heavily-telegraphed rear-hand uppercut, with your lead hand at your waist and your chin up. Pretty much asking for it to happen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Why are you friends with this person?

Send the girls to kick his rear end.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Qwazes posted:

I'm thinking about starting Judo over the summer and switching to bjj during the school year (I'm in college and there aren't any judo clubs within reasonable distance, but there is a school bjj club) Is this reasonable, or should I pick one and stick with it?

I think it's reasonable. If you map out the decision tree of what you can do it comes down to train bjj or not train during the school year, right? You'll learn some cool poo poo and bjj and judo map onto each other really really well, especially for practice (as opposed to competition). When I've taken my judo to "club" level bjj practices people have really been surprised at the efficiency of the throws, especially the simpler ones, so that's fun. When I've taken the bits of bjj I know to a judo practice, I get lots of arm bars :smugdog:

Really, anyone who says that you shouldn't go learn something new, especially when it's all you can train, is a dork.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

International Judo is the best example of how adding rules ruins a sport and why the IOC should never be allowed to influence anything.

HEY GUYS LETS ADD A LITANY OF RULES TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO DO CERTAIN TYPES OF THROWS SO THAT IT LOOKS COOL ON TV - best strategy becomes to grip fight and run out of bounds as a defensive manouvre.

I'm really salty about this because Judo is so awesome and the IOC ruined it as a competitive spectator sport. It's unwatchable now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm of the opinion that the only reason that something should be banned from a sport is for safety. Judo banned scissor takedowns when I was a teenager because too many people were getting hurt, uke or tori. Cool - I was at a regional tournament when a girl dislocated her hip trying to attack with a kani basami, and that poo poo was loving terrible. On the other hand, they later banned double-leg takedowns from competition "because it looks too much like wrestling." That's retarded, and I'm not just saying that because I used to land mae garis on people who had never considered that their opponent could change levels.

To make a sport more exciting, you need to make it less predictable, and you achieve that by giving the competitors more freedom to be creative and to surprise each other, not by stifling any competitive creativity because it runs contra some conservative vision of the "pure" version of the sport.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bangkero posted:

you at a BJJ gym? Could be a Daniel Valverde BJJ student (they do mostly no-gi) . Or judo if you were doing stand up.

Judo doesn't have teal. wyogbbb

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Matt Brown would be the UFC no-gloves welterweight champion, hands down. Or up, rather, as he flings bitchin' elbows and forearms into people's faces.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

osietra posted:

It's the case that most girls/women attend martial art classes to learn how to fight off sex attackers.

Whereas men attend classes to learn how to fight.

I've known at least one female who has used her skills in grappling to improve her own capacity as a sexual aggressor.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

quote:

Our martial arts academy in NYC specializes in jiu jitsu, judo, karate, and aikido.

Uhhhhhh that's not what "specialize" means.

2nd vote for sketchy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ligur posted:

Think about boxers and how they train. Even serious amateur ones. You won't see them deadlifting anything. They do bodyweight exercises, might have a bench on an angle to really hit their core and deep muscles when conditioning their midsection, and as for hands use relatively light weights (if at all) and aim on being explosive instead. What they do a fuckton of though, is punch the air (shadowboxing), the double ended-bag or the heavy bag. Again and again and again and again for countless hours and days.

I see serious amateur boxers lifting weights all the time, but you're right that it's not the way that power lifters do it, and it's not all of them. Medium-weight squats (125% bodyweight) + lower weights on triceps + kettlebell swing-type workouts. They almost entirely avoid any kind of bicep workout.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

I think Lt. Shiny-sides has posted a few studies that show a negative relationship between traditional lifting and hand speed. That if you want to increase hand speed, you have to do high weights with explosive efforts, basically the polar complement to speed bag and other endurance drills.

That's why they don't do arm work. They'll use weights for legs/back, and they don't go what anyone who lifts weights regularly would consider heavy.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Keldoclock posted:

You should see Russian HEMA, actually even russian LARP. Here LARP is a bunch of morons throwing hackey sacks at each other and swinging foam. In Russia it is basically regiment-scale HEMA.

There are crazy people who do that kind of poo poo in North America too. SCA and so forth, or poo poo involving night vision glasses and explosives. Even historical reenactments. You just don't hear about in the same terms because the people who find it interesting are embarrassed to be put into the same category as the "boffer" dorks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

Competitive martial arts generally have an environment of self improvement and discipline they just don't plaster it all over the wall like many traditional schools. Also, because guys are really competing it's often closer to what you're looking for vs delusional people who give lip service to being humble and getting better while they hide behind excuses and over inflated egos.

But if you like kata then that's cool and I'm sure schools that compete in kata have similar environments to fight competition schools. Judo might be cool for you, they have a lot of focus on personal growth through the art and even a full kata system.

Judo is best of both words because you can get black belt advancement through competition or through kata.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ligur posted:

Did anyone (not) see this Brazilian striking exercise yet or is it discussed elsewhere? I have possibly NEVER seen anything this crazy. At least in regards to training in an MA club, hell I don't think even Russians can beat this even though I've seen clips of more advanced strikers just annihilating weakers ones, but poo poo at least usually just kick them really hard to the body or the legs or choke them or something.

Like, everyone knows repeated hard shots to the head help you withstand KO's better in the future, and safeguard against emerging issues like slurred speech or loss of balance later in life, right? Right?

(What the everliving gently caress?!?)

We were making fun of it in one of the PSP threads.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pollyanna posted:

I'll see what it's like, and ask if they have free introductory classes, but so far I'm not impressed.

This place, though, looks much more promising. Not nearly as out of the way as Somerville and Cambridge :buddy: I'll totally do jujutsu/judo/BJJ, in order of preference. Gonna look there too.

Not sure if you follow MMA, but Kenny Florian is a pretty respected and respectable fellow. If I lived in that area I'd check it out on that reputation alone. I'm not at all surprised that his gym gets good reviews.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gadamer posted:

I don't do yoga, but I've asked from a few friends that do why they insist on going to classes instead of doing it at home, and they say it's a complete different experience, and that they would not bother to do it at all if it was just something to do in the living room.

It took me a long time - like 4 years of yoga classes - before I started to sometimes get the same benefits out of it doing it at home by myself as I did going to a class.

Really we're paying for quiet time and to get away from distractions, but if you think about it that's actually kind of a hard thing to get. People loving love noises and distractions. We're hard wired for it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

Could you expand on this? Sounds like maybe trying a class would be worth it given the responses thats its different and better?

I did not-crazy crossfit back in college and it was good. I say not-crazy because the guy running it was competent and had a really good culture of technique and safety. He would actually tell us to lower weight on reps or stop if he noticed we were too fatigued, for example. Also he charged like 40$ a month versus like 200$ or something crazy, which is what I was quoted when I moved home and asked a couple local gyms.

Having an instructor has two main benefits, in short:

1) Someone to correct you. He/she helps you get deeper into the positions, and can find modificaitons for you when it's not working. Most yoga instructors should have some kind of A&P/kineseology knowledge, and they give good feedback, in my experience. The longer you work with a given instructor, the more that instructor can help you figure out good modifications and props for your body and challenges. EG my hip flexors are so tight that to go into full pidgeon applies a sort of a heel hook-style pressure on my knee ligaments - we've figured out ways that I can use props to get the right stretch without having to struggle or hobble myself.

2) You have to think less for yourself about what's going on, which lets you just zone out and fall into the stretch or flow. Sure, you can watch a video, but the people in the videos tend to be uber super yoga freakazoids, and everyone is amazingly flexible and awesome. If you don't understand what's going on in a position you have to crane your neck and look forward. In the studio you are surrounded by normal people with normal ranges of motion, and the instructor isn't typically going to be showing off. If you don't understand an instruction, you typically have a person in your field of vision no matter the direction.

Going to the studio has the benefit of it just being a reserved space which you will only ever associate with quiet yoga. That makes it easier to get into the right mindset. My biggest challenge in doing home yoga is that I don't think of my apartment as a yoga space. I work there, I cook there, and I shitpost there. I never do anything in the yoga studio except yoga, so I don't have to get out of shitposting mode to slow myself down and actually pay good attention to what's going on in my body. Especially for someone who is into martial arts, the slowing down aspect is important and beneficial. In our regular gyms we're always pushing ourselves and being competitive, even if only against our own performances. There's no winning at yoga, only doing. Once you're in the right mindset about just "practice," the breathing and stretching exercises start leading to quite amazing bodily awareness and control, in addition to the obvious benefits of stretching &c. I didn't start to get that until I gave up trying to do it at home.

That being said, if you go and try out a trial lesson or two and you don't like it, don't do it. Almost every studio has a free or deep discount trial option. If I try out a new teacher, and the discussion starts becoming about chakras and energy and spirit and all that hippie bullshit, I don't go back. If I don't like his or her personality, or even his or her voice, I don't go back. My favourite instructor is a middle-aged woman who has a very chill attitude toward yoga, enjoys making her students laugh, and is more interested in making muscles and joints work any kind of spiritual healing nonsense.

Also - be careful if you try hot yoga, and don't push yourself too much. I think it was responsible for loving up my shoulder earlier this year, or at least for taking a minor injury and turning it into a "you can't throw a right hand for a month" injury.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Is yoga the kind of thing like weightlifting where I can damage myself if I'm doing it at home with incorrect form?

Yeah. I have messed myself up a little twice.

First, I did a "Bikram Hot Yoga" class with an unfamiliar instructor. I came in with a nagging, irritated rotator cuff, which had mostly healed. The hot room (like 40 deg c) heats up your muscles and makes them more supple, and so when I did some shoulder exercises - eagle arms, which is a way of doing that kind of press-your-elbow-across-your-body shoulder stretch - I over-stretched that shoulder and tore the muscle a bit, so I wasn't able to throw left hands for a month.

This happened because I didn't advise the instructor of my injury and I was pushing my limits on an unfamiliar type of exercise, with a mild injury. The odds of that kind of thing happening are exponentially greater if you're working at home with a video. A good instructor will be scanning the room for people who are struggling or seem to be doing things in dangerous ways, constantly helping people find adjustments.

Now, second, I have my pidgeon problem.

My hip flexors are insanely tight, like to the extent that a 55 year old boxing coach teased me for it this week. Now see how her front leg is twisted around so that the upper and lower thigh are flat to the ground? Yeah, i can't do that. If I try to do pidgeon I can't get the knee down to the ground because my femur won't rotate far enough in my hip socket - if I go beyond about 3" from the ground, my lower leg starts levering away from my upper leg. The sideways force on my leg is like snapping a twig, except the pressure is all on my outer knee ligaments. Now when pidgeon comes up I put a yoga block under my knee to provide support there so I can lean forward and sink into the stretch. When I was doing yoga videos at home, I was trying to do pidgeon and not quite aware that the sensations I was feeling in my leg were bad ones. I was really working hard to get that knee flat, and because everyone in the video is super gumbi flexible yoga type, I thought that I was doing something wrong. I'm lucky that I didn't mess up my knee, but had I been a bit more persistent with it, I ran that risk.

Once I started working with live instructors, I started understanding how the stretches, moves and postures are valuable in relation to your own limits rather than in relation to any kind of ideal physiology, and then I started having a greater sense of what my own limits, strengths, and weaknesses are. Now I know that when I go to any yoga class I'm likely to be close to the best in the room in terms of muscle endurance, core strength, and leg power, and the worst in terms of shoulder and hip flexibility. And that's ok - that's where I'm working, and that's what I'm trying to practice.

That awareness is a really strange thing - when I first started I thought I understood those limits, strengths, and weaknesses, but the quiet time with the body helps you to learn it in much better detail. Like, do you remember when you first started striking? You probably thought that you knew how to punch. And then six months later you learned something, and then you thought that you knew how to punch. It wasn't until you had gone through phases of conscious/unconscious competence/incompetence that you came to really understand how much there is to know, and how good that someone can get, and especially the limits of what you can learn by watching videos on youtube versus what you can learn with a coach in a real gym. It's the exact same kind of learning curve in yoga, but it's harder to intellectually accept that there may be things to learn, because it is so basic and fundamental to our movement as athletes, or even as humans.

Rabhadh posted:

The biggest problem I encountered in yoga was trying to hold in my stinky protein farts in a room full of ladies

This too.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It should also be fine to go train at a sparring/competitive gym without sparring and being competitive. They usually like people who pay fees and take up less of the coach's time. No gym should ever be pressuring anyone into the ring. You'll learn better technique at a competitive gym, whether or not you intend to actually get into the ring. Sometimes I run into people who do the non-sparring gyms or "body combat" and their technique is like :psyduck:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

What happens under judo rules if your uke doesn't tuck their head with the throw and gets knocked out like in that gif?

Not sure on the nuances of of the injury ruling and the "Judoka cannot continue," but that wouldn't even be a yuko (or even an old-school koka), because he landed face down. If they thought you had spiked his head with the intention to injure, it could be within the ref's jurisdiction to DQ you.

I'll see if my closest black belt friend is on facebook. If she is I'll ask her and edit.

e. She wasn't, but I left her an offline message. Will update.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 26, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My friend reported back.

She says that if the ref thought you had intentionally spiked the person, it would be a disqualification, but if the ref decided that tori had thrown essentially in good faith and that it was uke's own drat fault that he/she was KOd, then no penalty. Next, if someone is medically unable to continue, that's a forfeit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

de la peche posted:

Thanks for the good advice from everyone. I have had quite a bit of stress lately, I'll take a week off and try to get it all in perspective. Whilst I know on a very real level that there's zero point getting wound up with it all, I seem to have forgotten that temporarily!

It doesn't even need to be a full week off, or a week fully off: just change up what you're doing a bit. Spend a few workouts blasting your cardio instead, or extra core workout, or doing just repetitive drills on fundamentals. EG if my punches feel like poo poo for a few consecutive workouts, I'll often just drill 1/1-2s and high intensity footwork. It can help to maintain your training schedule but change the content.

This goes for anything by the way - not just training. Productive procrastination is how I finished my dissertation.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

How the gently caress did someone like that even get to green?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Travic posted:

Well crap. Then I may just be terrible. I've been practicing throws for months and still can't pull any of them off. :(

Pick 3 throws that you like, find a buddy, show up early for a few consecutive weeks, and just drill em.

e. I'd suggest ko uchi, o uchi, and uchi mata as a good starting trio.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jul 9, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not a competitor, but I only spar with people I trust and/or with good supervision. If I feel any negative after-effects from headshots I take at least a month off of anything except basic tag drills.

I've never taken a body shot that left me sore the next day. I've had way worse rib/torso injuries from rolling than from boxing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Novum posted:

The trick is to be very good at striking, be very good at running away, or be very cordial and gentle with your partner so they won't want to harm your person. Third option is not a joke suggestion.

I actually use the third option combined with lots of practice on my defense. The trick is that it only works with people who understand that there isn't really winning at sparring.

Strangely enough, there are some really hard sluggers - guys with knockout streaks in amateur loving boxing - who like sparring with me now and again because they've noticed that going 20-30% allows them to practice things that can be difficult to worry about when you're in a hard sparring session that has become a firefight, such as experimenting with counters.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

People do it with medicine balls, too. I think it's supposed to be about keeping your breathing going through disruptions more than it's about any kind of conditioning in the sense of conditioning your shins/knuckles.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

those ufc guys, they're doing it wrong, because ~reasons~

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've actually talked to the "conflicting advice" coaches about this before. Not during the session, of course, but after finishing stopping and going, "hey, just so you know, that thing you were yelling at me for doing? On Thursday Steve was yelling at me for not doing it..." It often goes away after the coaches start to know you a bit better, too, and they know what to expect out of you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This kind of discussion is why I really have mixed feelings about stuff like Aikido. Sure, people are free to have fun doing whatever they want, but that kind of training seems to me like it dishonestly convinces people that they know how to fight. Whenever I've sat and watched any kind of Aikido it just becomes cringeworthy. Traditional Martial Arts can be fine and good, but that's one step too close to "throwing chi balls" for me. TKD and Shotokan are about my limit. Maybe Wing Chun could be ok, but I've heard quite a bit of McDojo rhetoric from Wing Chun dudes.

If I ever desire to mix my fighting and my make believe, I'll just play dungeons and dragons at the gym.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

TKD and shotokan karate are combat sports, and as such have developed to be very effective within their rulesets.

Yeah, exactly. For all of their eccentricities, they're still rooted in actually punching someone in the head. Well, not punching them in the head. Punching them in the chest (err chest protector?) or kicking them in the head. Or at least tapping them clearly enough so that a referee sees it, if not a proper punch. And any martial art that is any further disconnected from actual fighting than that is just too fluffy for me to even recommend to my friends who want to put their kid into a gi.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

1st AD posted:

gently caress I popped my knee out while my guard was being passed tonight :stonk:

It doesn't hurt too bad since popping back into place, and I iced it and put a sleeve on it. Goddammit I've had knee injuries on the left side before, nothing for years, now my right knee is acting up. Not even sure how it happened.

fuuuuck. Not the day I wanted to read this. I moved recently and I've been having trouble motivating myself to go to the boxing club, so I'm going to check out some jits tonight, to see what the club here has to offer.

I hope that it's an isolated incident for you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mewse posted:

Are you in the pas?

No I didn't get the job there. I found a 1-year full-time gig back home in Brandon. The club here seems good, and I like everyone involved with it, but I realized that I can't really go much further with boxing unless I want to spar a ton and risk concussions, which I can't do in my line of work. So the few times I went and worked out at Brandon Boxing Club, I just found myself missing my Ottawa workout buds and lacking motivation. Their hours are a bit limited too.

So I'm changing things up a bit.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm thinking about dropping the $80 to compete as a white belt this fall. I was even planning to diet down a weight class until I saw that my normal "walking around" weight (heh) is already right at the top of one, so I'll just have to make sure I don't eat like a loving pig and I'll make 155 (gi on).

I don't like the rules either though. What's this crap about no calf slicers :colbert:

e. for actual content - is it a good experience to do it once or twice when you're trying to learn? The $80 is inconsequential to me right now, and easily fits within my "entertainment" budget.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What's the thread's general opinion on JJJ? Every person who I've ever met who has practiced it had that whole "I do real jiu jitsu not that fake brazilian stuff :smug:" vibe.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pham Nuwen posted:

I went to a JJJ practice at a place in Livermore, California once and there was a lot of "can't do full-speed practice, our techniques are too deadly", finger locks, and out of shape dudes. Also some poo poo about JJJ's healing methods or whatever.

Yeaaaaah that's what I imagined. The guy who really stands out in my memory who was like "Oh you box and do a bit of grappling on the side? Well I have a brown belt in jjj :smug:" would really fit into that crowd. Becuase he's a delusional doughy dork.

e.

It's a shame that jjj is tainted like that. Though I suppose that anyone who is of the type to insist on JAPANESE jiu jitsu instead of Brazilian is the kind of person who would be more likely to buy into McDojo stuff, and anyone who is just about effective techniques and proper rolling likely doesn't give a gently caress what it's called.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 8, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

Japanese Jujitsu covers such a broad range of schools that it is hard to make any judgments about it without knowing the specific school. On paper JJJ looks like it could have developed into a truly complete martial art, it has striking, throws, submissions etc. And it is the progenitor of judo which beget BJJ etc. But the general lack of full sparring and competition has hindered it. And it doesn't seem like it has evolved. Where it has evolved, it has become a different art i.e. judo, BJJ, aikido etc. I feel like a true pressure tested JJJ could have evolved into something more akin to modern mma but it hasn't.

I don't practice any martial art other then BJJ and I think the greatest conceptual enemy of BJJ is the "pure water" concept. The idea that some progenitor did everything perfectly and we err when we dilute these teaching by changing things. I much prefer Rolls idea of taking everything that works from anywhere and integrating into the system.

It is interesting to see the development even within a single art. BJJ has had many evolutionary branches which have been driven by competitive rule sets. BJJ for MMA vs BJJ for grappling. Gi vs No Gi.

Our school is philosophically not a points oriented place and our instructors emphasize that our progression should always be to submission. And not just submission in getting a tap but being able to break when an opponent is unwilling to tap.

Ok, so that "broad range" bit is what I was wondering. Neat, and sad. Thanks much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

canoshiz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLP_DInpPHE

I like the part where the Turkish dude mistakes the Aikido guy's stance for a handshake.

Everyone here loves and respects Aikido.

• Locked thread